Star Wars Ep1 3D Review - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 79 Old 02-16-2012, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Finally saw this tonight in a superb quality XD theater with RealD. I went strictly to check out the effectiveness of the 3D conversion. I have no criticisms for the PQ that I didn't always have. Those image shortcomings are still quite terrible. That said the 3D effect was quite impressive; far better than I expected. This clearly is designed to look realistic rather than like a gimmick. There is quite a sophisticated and successful attempt to honor the appropriate depth for a given lens/focal length and proximity of the subject to the camera. Overs (over the shoulders), and close overs were particularly realistic. I dropped my glasses at times to take a look. On these closeups, there is really no 3D processing of the face; it is left sharp, but with the glasses the depth is there in the bg. Well done "realistic" 3D.

The Spiderman 3D trailer looked terrific.

Enduring the movie was brutal except for occasional brilliance...like the final light sabre duel.

I haven't watched the movie in its entirety in many years. Interestingly, I was able to follow the convoluted political environment better this time around. It seemed a little too familiar sounding. Trade Federation squables with and defies the Republic, then places trade blockade to strong arm the Republic. One can imagine Iran in the role of the Trade Federation, the UN as the Republic, and the Straits of Hormuz as the blockade point.

IF they do more of the SW saga, Empire has the best chance to really impress due to the quality of the original images/photography. IT MUST, though, be a 4K scan, distribution and projection. That might be quite spectacular for the Hoth battle alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 79 Old 02-17-2012, 10:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Man View Post

IF they do more of the SW saga, Empire has the best chance to really impress due to the quality of the original images/photography. IT MUST, though, be a 4K scan, distribution and projection. That might be quite spectacular for the Hoth battle alone.

I'm pretty sure that Lucas is using the Blu-ray masters as the basis for the 3D conversion, and I believe those were done at 2k.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #63 of 79 Old 02-19-2012, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I finally got to see Episode I in 3D and I must confess to coming away from the experience pretty disappointed. I'm a 3D fan and I tend to be relatively forgiving of post-conversions. I'm also a Star Wars fan although I've never been bothered by George Lucas' tinkering of the films. I don't really care whether Han or Greedo shot first in A New Hope, I thought Palpatine's new scenes in Empire were actually an improvement and I even didn't mind the new musical numbers in Return.

Even going in with that mindset however the results of this post-conversion were pretty weak. Close-ups and medium range shots where the camera is fixed and the characters are relatively still yield a moderate sense of depth, as do scenes where you have a character in the foreground speaking with someone further in the background. But once you introduce any kind of movement to the shot, be it either the characters or the camera, the sense of depth quickly drops away to zero. Ironically, the scenes that were heaviest in effects - the escape from Naboo, the pod race and the big fights at the end - are the ones that fare the worst with blurry movements and negligible depth. Pop-out are, as expected, virtually non-existent other than Anakin's tool that he uses to reattach the power coupling during the pod race and Obi-Wan's finger as he points at something. I remember watching the Episode I BluRay using my 2010 Samsung plasma's 2D>3D conversion a while back and the results were very, very similar to what I saw today.

I'm pretty certain that the poor presentation was not the fault of the projection; several 3D trailer were shown before the feature including Paranorman, The Lorax and the live action Wrath of the Titans and all exhibited good depth, pop and brightness (Wrath looked much a much more solid production than Clash of the Titans, BTW).

I know that this is a 12 year old movie that wasn't filmed with 3D in mind but if this is the best that Lucas can do and if this is his idea of 3D enhancing the storytelling then he really shouldn't bother. The 3D added next to nothing to the experience in this film and really felt like a waste of money.
post #64 of 79 Old 02-19-2012, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

I finally got to see Episode I in 3D and I must confess to coming away from the experience pretty disappointed. I'm a 3D fan and I tend to be relatively forgiving of post-conversions. I'm also a Star Wars fan although I've never been bothered by George Lucas' tinkering of the films. I don't really care whether Han or Greedo shot first in A New Hope, I thought Palpatine's new scenes in Empire were actually an improvement and I even didn't mind the new musical numbers in Return.

Even going in with that mindset however the results of this post-conversion were pretty weak. Close-ups and medium range shots where the camera is fixed and the characters are relatively still yield a moderate sense of depth, as do scenes where you have a character in the foreground speaking with someone further in the background. But once you introduce any kind of movement to the shot, be it either the characters or the camera, the sense of depth quickly drops away to zero. Ironically, the scenes that were heaviest in effects - the escape from Naboo, the pod race and the big fights at the end - are the ones that fare the worst with blurry movements and negligible depth. Pop-out are, as expected, virtually non-existent other than Anakin's tool that he uses to reattach the power coupling during the pod race and Obi-Wan's finger as he points at something. I remember watching the Episode I BluRay using my 2010 Samsung plasma's 2D>3D conversion a while back and the results were very, very similar to what I saw today.

I'm pretty certain that the poor presentation was not the fault of the projection; several 3D trailer were shown before the feature including Paranorman, The Lorax and the live action Wrath of the Titans and all exhibited good depth, pop and brightness (Wrath looked much a much more solid production than Clash of the Titans, BTW).

I know that this is a 12 year old movie that wasn't filmed with 3D in mind but if this is the best that Lucas can do and if this is his idea of 3D enhancing the storytelling then he really shouldn't bother. The 3D added next to nothing to the experience in this film and really felt like a waste of money.

I agree with everything you wrote. I just left the movie with about 45 minutes left. It was awful. The 3D wasn't apparent in most scenes and the scenes it was, it was just with character's up close with green screen backgrounds. Lucas put very little effort into this and has once again managed to get more money from the masses. I am officially done with these movies. Hopefully someone offers him an insane amount of money to take over the franchise and make some good movies for a change. I love 3D and have seen a wide variety of quality ranging from great (Avatar, Kung Fu Panda 2, Captain America) to bad (Clash of the Titans, Star Wars) so I can say with certainty that this was really bad.
post #65 of 79 Old 02-19-2012, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Well I just found the perfect solution. I was at the theater today seeing Ghost Rider in 3D(which was VERY well done, not too many pop out effects, just an overall sense of depth), I ALMOST recylced my 3D glasses when I saw the sign for episode one playing two theaters over. I strolled over, walked in, about midway through the Gungans fighting the droid army, with the saber duel coming up. I stayed for the end of the movie.

The 3D was indeed dissapointing, especially having come from a real 3D movie. I expected the duel of fates to have a lot of depth given the environment, but as the guy above said, as soon movement started, the illusion went away. It was best on the close ups. The space battle with little Annie was pretty decent. Definitely glad I didn't pay to see the whole thing.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Snake Plissken

post #66 of 79 Old 02-19-2012, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I should have seen Ghost Rider myself. What really disappointed me about Star Wars was that the 3D came thru in all but the most insignificant of scenes. When the average person goes to see Star Wars, they're probably not thinking about dialog, realistic plots or deep characterizations, especially Episode I with its leaden story and acting so wooden that the Thunderbirds would take notice.

I just got thru watching Conan in 3D on BluRay; that's another post-conversion and while the bulk of the film had pretty minimal depth perception to it, the establishing shots of Conan arriving at various vistas throughout the course of the film had a very nice sense of depth to them and the 3D at least came thru in those scenes. Forgettable though it was, at least it tried to provide some 3D eye candy via its establishing shots. Too bad Lucas forgot why people went to see Star Wars in the first place when remastering the movie for 3D.
post #67 of 79 Old 02-19-2012, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

Too bad Lucas forgot why people went to see Star Wars in the first place when remastering the movie for 3D.

Its too bad he forgot why people went to see Star Wars in the first place when making Episode 1. Though i did see it twice when it came out and enjoyed it, I didn't find the movie to be very "future proof" this time around. Bad editing IMO, just not very cohesive, like when Anakin's pod racer shut down at the start of the race, they should have shown Princess Amadala should have looked over at Obione (sp?) and gave him a worried look, her people were friken under seize and this was their only way off the planet and they just had a conversation about whether this was a good idea or not.
post #68 of 79 Old 02-20-2012, 11:22 AM

Personally I think episode 1 was a good film and the 3d did make it better in places like the pod race scene for example but the wasn't enough 3d for me
post #69 of 79 Old 02-28-2012, 08:21 PM

I am a fan of 3D - but there are some real bad 3D conversion out there.

I saw the originally SW movie in 1977, September I think it was. But back to TPM 3D.

Ok I have just seen Starwars Episode 1 in 3D twice today.

1st time - PowerDVD - red and blue conversion on my computer - good 3D conversion - but the colour alterations detracted from the overall effect - but still watchable.

2nd time Cinema Time (actually paid $20 to see it) - good 3D conversion - not alteration of colours - very watchable. (But Roxio and Power DVD can do polarized 3D concersion on the fly - so I cant see why all the movies couldn't be released at the some time - or in the proper order - ANH, ESB, ROtJ, TPM, ATOC, ROtS.

I watched them one after the other (well within 3/4 hr) the only difference I could tell was the colour alteration.

Still dont like Jar Jar Binks.
post #70 of 79 Old 02-29-2012, 12:12 AM

I was kind of disappointed in the 3d effect. I love the movie, despite its flaws, and was looking forward to seeing how the 3d looked. I would like to see it again in another theater to see if it was poor presentation.

I mainly went to take my little nephew to his first SW movie, so I was happy just to do that. He's 3. He brought his little Yoda doll. Priceless. When Maul was cut in half and fell down the shaft, he yelled, "Bye, Darth Maul." Totally worth going just for that.
post #71 of 79 Old 02-29-2012, 12:40 AM

In my opinion more of the movie could have Benin 3d
post #72 of 79 Old 03-03-2012, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
On a side note, I'm extremely gratified to know that Episode I 3D will not make $100M in the U.S. (it might not even make it to to $80M). This puts in doubt whether Lucas will bother post-converting II-VI.

Lucas shameless cash grab fail for teh winnings!!
post #73 of 79 Old 03-03-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R View Post

On a side note, I'm extremely gratified to know that Episode I 3D will not make $100M in the U.S. (it might not even make it to to $80M). This puts in doubt whether Lucas will bother post-converting II-VI.

He'll convert them anyway
post #74 of 79 Old 03-03-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R View Post

while he has a few million in overhead for the conversion, for the most part, the revenue on these is all gravy. we'll see converted versions of II-VI...though i'd like to see them scheduled more like the special editions were: multiple per year vs just one.
post #75 of 79 Old 03-03-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthBuck View Post

while he has a few million in overhead for the conversion, for the most part, the revenue on these is all gravy. we'll see converted versions of II-VI...though i'd like to see them scheduled more like the special editions were: multiple per year vs just one.

The next one should be around the same time as episode 1
post #76 of 79 Old 03-12-2012, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
We are just in the beginnings of the conversion madness yet to come, but it will get better. That said, all of the reviews on this thread almost assume that all theaters, projectors, etc. show 3D the same way. Of course, there are many variations due to pixel alignment, projector and screen brightness, left/right eye separation for depth, etc. that affect the 3D experience. So, to me, I expect this diversive view, but I hang on to words from those who can compare to Avatar or Hugo as having been in the best "seeing" theaters possible. I saw Avatar at a local IMAX (scaled IMAX) and it was good 3D, not great. I noticed one eye was slightly out of alignment with the other horizontally, and in one scene, the 3D was reversed. But when I saw it on my HD3300 Optoma at home on my 142" screen, I was truly awed by the 3D, so we'll see.
post #77 of 79 Old 03-13-2012, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I am pretty sure I will be dissapointed again.

When I read posts where people say 3D is realistic then in the very same paragraph say there is no 3D processing of peoples faces, I lose faith I am afraid. This is the VERY thing that makes conversions so inferior to native 3D in my opinion. This is 2.5D, not 3D!

That was what stood out for me when I watched Avatar, peoples faces and bodies having shape and depth, it was more like standing in front of real people than watching a movie. Until conversions can match that I for one will continue to be less than thrilled.
post #78 of 79 Old 03-17-2012, 06:57 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tory40 View Post

Maybe he sat close to the screen. I notice that the closer I move to my TV, the flatter the 3D looks. I purposely sat farther back than i normally would.

Tested this extensively last night. 100% accurate. If I moved closer to the screen the depth wasn't as great, but the popout was slightly better. Tested with Three Musketeers 3d as well as Gears of War 3 videogame. I guess I will be sitting a little further back in the multiplex from now on as I usually always sit on the second row of where the stadium seating begins.
post #79 of 79 Old 03-18-2012, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonka702 View Post

Tested this extensively last night. 100% accurate. If I moved closer to the screen the depth wasn't as great, but the popout was slightly better. Tested with Three Musketeers 3d as well as Gears of War 3 videogame. I guess I will be sitting a little further back in the multiplex from now on as I usually always sit on the second row of where the stadium seating begins.

i usually sit in the middle this way your not leaning back as you would if you sat in the front row and your not leaning forward if you sat in the back
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page