Star Wars Ep1 3D Review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 79 Old 02-10-2012, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All I can say was that is was EXTREMELY well done. ZERO cross talk. And the depth was amazing.

I saw it at midnight last night. Lots of dudes with lightsabers, lol. There was one or two pop outs but what I loved was the clarity since they used the blu ray remaster. And every scene had the appropriate depth. Things in the front while multiple layers were behind it.

One of the nicest looking scenes was where we meet jar jar in the woods. Pod racing was bad ass.

It was one of those 3D movies that you were totally sucked into. Much like transformers 3, it added a ton of value.

Must see for 3D fans and star wars fans alike. And don't gimmie the jar jar crap, he isn't that bad....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 79 Old 02-10-2012, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I'm assuming that there isn't a lot of pop-out effects and it's mostly about depth like Avatar right?...the pod race should look amazing in 3D
post #3 of 79 Old 02-10-2012, 07:41 AM

I saw it last night too. For me it didn't add too much just dept like you said. I shouldn't have watched a 3d imax movie on my home tv before I saw a 2d conversion
post #4 of 79 Old 02-10-2012, 08:44 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Interesting. Most of the reviews I have read so far claim this is one of the worst 2d to 3d conversions yet.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #5 of 79 Old 02-10-2012, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Interesting. Most of the reviews I have read so far claim this is one of the worst 2d to 3d conversions yet.

You mind posting a link to those? I haven't read a single review that has claimed it is one of the worst conversions yet, only that it doesn't make the crappy movie any better.
post #6 of 79 Old 02-10-2012, 04:15 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickoakdl View Post

You mind posting a link to those? I haven't read a single review that has claimed it is one of the worst conversions yet, only that it doesn't make the crappy movie any better.

Sorry, I meant user opinions/reviews in the various SW threads here and at bluray.com. Lots of not much depth....no popout...etc.....A lot of people seem very underwhelmed with the 3d aspect which is not surprising considering its a conversion. Quite a few worst conversion yet remarks as well.

There are some positive posts popping up as well, but in general people dont seem too impressed from what I have read so far.

post #7 of 79 Old 02-10-2012, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 116
I trust 3d reviews as far as I can throw them.
post #8 of 79 Old 02-10-2012, 04:33 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post

Always best to judge for yourself with your own eyes, I agree Hope this comes to blu ray 3d so I can check it out for myself in my HT.

post #9 of 79 Old 02-10-2012, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post

Great and according to you mighty eloquent statement this forum failed. Forums number one goal is to share opinions NOT to throw them as far as you can >SALUTE

Home Theater Aficionado
post #10 of 79 Old 02-10-2012, 05:09 PM

Seeing it tomorrow. Will throw in my 2 coppers...
post #11 of 79 Old 02-10-2012, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

It is in no way the worst yet. I though it was on par if not better than natively shot 3D movies. It was as good as transformers 3. As good as avatar. Better than capt amer. which I enjoyed a lot.

Obviously this is a movie most have seen dozens of times. So it was nothing new and exciting. But I Definitely thought the 3D was top notch.

For reference, I own 24 3D blu rays at this point, so it is not as if it looked good to me bc I do t have much exposure. I have a ton.
post #12 of 79 Old 02-10-2012, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Forgot to mention, spiderman 3D trailer. Looks way better than the Toby version, which was great, so high hopes.
Can't go wrong with a blonde Emma Stone :drool:
post #13 of 79 Old 02-10-2012, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Sorry, I meant user opinions/reviews in the various SW threads here and at bluray.com. Lots of not much depth....no popout...etc.....A lot of people seem very underwhelmed with the 3d aspect which is not surprising considering its a conversion. Quite a few worst conversion yet remarks as well.

There are some positive posts popping up as well, but in general people dont seem too impressed from what I have read so far.

I'm still going to call B.S. and/or gross irresponsible exaggeration, this poll currently says 19 good vs 7 bad, with 26 not caring about 3D. If you think 7 out of the 26 people (who care about 3D) is most I can post some links explaining basic math and common sense.

And FYI, I don't care at all for Star Wars or the franchise, but I do get annoyed by trolls who exaggerate for the sake of ruffling feathers and getting attention.
post #14 of 79 Old 02-10-2012, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I think no matter the 3D quality is, I think a lot of people really hate the Phantom Menace episode and so 3D is getting a bad rap because of this . I just read some of the reviews and mostly giving bad reviews about the movie and not the 3D quality. Which episode do you think the 3D will shine?
post #15 of 79 Old 02-11-2012, 03:30 AM

Spaceballs 3D
post #16 of 79 Old 02-11-2012, 04:18 AM

Liked: 11
I've only seen the 30 second commercial on Sky 3d and it looks very good.
post #17 of 79 Old 02-11-2012, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by edtorious View Post

I think no matter the 3D quality is, I think a lot of people really hate the Phantom Menace episode and so 3D is getting a bad rap because of this . I just read some of the reviews and mostly giving bad reviews about the movie and not the 3D quality. Which episode do you think the 3D will shine?

This is what I've noticed as well. Most reviews harp on the old tired complaints about the movie and throw in a cursory and useless "the 3D adds nothing" comment, using it as just one more thing to complain about rather than actually discussing its execution.

I hope to see it on Sunday and form my own opinion.
post #18 of 79 Old 02-11-2012, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Watched it last night, not the worse or best 3d. Some of the panning shots just didn't work and look like a 240hz LCD soap opera effect. The 3d was very subtle but worked well enough to see depth.
post #19 of 79 Old 02-11-2012, 10:20 AM

Liked: 14
I don't think it's the fact it's in 3D as much as many look at this as just more "Milking the Cow". I've read a lot of forums about the movie in general and it's safe to say most if not the majority think it should've went to BR and not even the theater period. It's freakn' 11yr movie that's in how many formats and box sets already? Can see it coming...a single 3D 4-disc combo set followed by a 3D Complete Series Set. Sorry but this is getting a bit old.
post #20 of 79 Old 02-11-2012, 10:21 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickoakdl View Post

I'm still going to call B.S. and/or gross irresponsible exaggeration, this poll currently says 19 good vs 7 bad, with 26 not caring about 3D. If you think 7 out of the 26 people (who care about 3D) is most I can post some links explaining basic math and common sense.

And FYI, I don't care at all for Star Wars or the franchise, but I do get annoyed by trolls who exaggerate for the sake of ruffling feathers and getting attention.

Not a troll...........you are right and my initial/early impressions were wrong (although there are quite a few comments that the 3d is underwhelming, etc........lots of variables though so again I will wait until I can see it at home and decide). When I first looked through comments yesterday it seemed overwhelmingly bad from my perspective, but looking now I agree. Its that simple, not trying to "ruffle any feathers and get attention". I could not care less one way or the other since I dont love or hate this movie, but I do find it a very enjoyable HT experience in 2d and am looking forward to (assuming it hits blu ray 3d) checking out the 3d when it hits blu and seeing for myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejunkie View Post

It is in no way the worst yet. I though it was on par if not better than natively shot 3D movies. It was as good as transformers 3. As good as avatar. Better than capt amer. which I enjoyed a lot.

Obviously this is a movie most have seen dozens of times. So it was nothing new and exciting. But I Definitely thought the 3D was top notch.

For reference, I own 24 3D blu rays at this point, so it is not as if it looked good to me bc I do t have much exposure. I have a ton.

That is great to hear! I thought Transf 3 (besides the brightness issue on the blu ray starting at ~42 minutes in), and Captain America looked great in 3d (and Avatar) so if this is on par or better than it should be a great 3d blu.

post #21 of 79 Old 02-11-2012, 10:29 AM

Agree it was not best or worst. Even after reading all the negative reviews and being sensitized to the negatives, I enjoyed it a lot. Some parts the 3d was very good ( coruscant scenes, facial close ups.. I think they spent a lot of effort making the close ups look good), others were bland almost 2d looking.

I was most amazed at the social experience however seeing the theater filled with a huge number of young children under 12 or so. It was like the previous star wars generation was introducing this amazing world to the next generation, handing down the keys so to speak. I am glad this conversion was done if nothing more than giving that next generation a chance to see and enjoy this amazing franchise. I hope they are successful and continue with the conversions. I know I will buy the complete set.
post #22 of 79 Old 02-11-2012, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

This is what I've noticed as well. Most reviews harp on the old tired complaints about the movie and throw in a cursory and useless "the 3D adds nothing" comment, using it as just one more thing to complain about rather than actually discussing its execution.

I hope to see it on Sunday and form my own opinion.

That is pretty obnoxious. Why review a 10 yr old movie at all if not for the 3D? It's like they expected it to be completely redone and better than it was. It's still ep1, which personally I had no issue with. The 3D was great. The "it added nothing" are coming from the same idiots that don't like ANY 3D movies. If you like the 3D "gimmick" like I do, than this movie is one of the best out there!
post #23 of 79 Old 02-11-2012, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR.DTS View Post

I don't think it's the fact it's in 3D as much as many look at this as just more "Milking the Cow". I've read a lot of forums about the movie in general and it's safe to say most if not the majority think it should've went to BR and not even the theater period. It's freakn' 11yr movie that's in how many formats and box sets already? Can see it coming...a single 3D 4-disc combo set followed by a 3D Complete Series Set. Sorry but this is getting a bit old.

Agreed
post #24 of 79 Old 02-12-2012, 01:45 AM

Liked: 11
Went to an AMC theatre, didn't get Darth Maul or podracers glasses but got a small Hasbro fighter pod toy. The projector malfunctioned during the previews and put up graphics garbage on the screen causing serious discomfort with the glasses. They moved us to a different room which worked, but gave us a pass anyway for next time which essentially made this movie free, so kudos to AMC.

Anyway, the conversion was good, but that's kind of like saying the margarine was good, it's just not "real". You just can't convert a forest from 2D to 3D, with all of the visible branches, leaves, and blades of grass with the correct depth. Star Wars movies have a ton of detail and the backgrounds looked flat-ish. It was worthwhile and I enjoyed it, but it's no Avatar in terms of 3D.
post #25 of 79 Old 02-12-2012, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

The 3d was done pretty well for a conversion. The clarity in the background objects was outstanding. Many conversions simply blur the background elements ( even the actors ) to give a 3d dimensionality to the conversions ( Harry Potter Deathly Hallows as an example of the worst offender ).

However, with all Star Wars movies, the sound is 1/2 the experience and the sound at the theater where we were was at such a low level that it felt like watching at night with the volume low so you don't wake up the wife! I am not blaming the film itself or Lucas here, just the theater itself. Glad my son and I went, just wish the theater had taken better care of the presentation.

Jeff
post #26 of 79 Old 02-12-2012, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
No,
It has the same kind of possibilities as Lion King and Beauty and the Beast had.

When most of the film was shot with CG background, they could have come away with impressive results if they went back to the raw elements.

Something tells me they went the cheap route and ran it through the Clash of the Titanator 3000 conversion program.
post #27 of 79 Old 02-12-2012, 09:33 AM

Conversion was good. Podrace with Sebulba in your face was the highlight. Enjoyed the movie a hell of a lot more than when I last saw it over a decade ago though.
post #28 of 79 Old 02-12-2012, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Cinema Blend's 3D review:

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/3D-Or...-It-29366.html

They said it was pretty decent. Still, I'm not giving George Lucas more money, he has enough of his own. Episode I is a crap movie and I'll save my money for Episode V.

No offense to everyone here but I take all the negative and positive reviews with a grain of salt. This board is made up of either 3D haters who would "never" buy 3D and 3D sycophants who would defend even the worst post-conversion rush jobs to justify their purchase.
post #29 of 79 Old 02-12-2012, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathoderaytube View Post

Went to an AMC theatre, didn't get Darth Maul or podracers glasses but got a small Hasbro fighter pod toy. The projector malfunctioned during the previews and put up graphics garbage on the screen causing serious discomfort with the glasses. They moved us to a different room which worked, but gave us a pass anyway for next time which essentially made this movie free, so kudos to AMC.

Anyway, the conversion was good, but that's kind of like saying the margarine was good, it's just not "real". You just can't convert a forest from 2D to 3D, with all of the visible branches, leaves, and blades of grass with the correct depth. Star Wars movies have a ton of detail and the backgrounds looked flat-ish. It was worthwhile and I enjoyed it, but it's no Avatar in terms of 3D.

Yeah. How about those darth maul glasses. They were for Friday only EXCLUDING the midnight show per AMC corporate. I got the manager to give me some anyway though. And the pod toy things are neat. Not sure how to play but everyone was trading before the movie.

Sucks that the pod racer ones were only at about 8 AMC's nation wide.

Attachment 237041

They look cool.
LL
post #30 of 79 Old 02-12-2012, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Schiller View Post

No,
It has the same kind of possibilities as Lion King and Beauty and the Beast had.

When most of the film was shot with CG background, they could have come away with impressive results if they went back to the raw elements.

Something tells me they went the cheap route and ran it through the Clash of the Titanator 3000 conversion program.

Supposedly this conversion alone cost more than the original trilogy did in 2012 dollars. It definitely was not run through a program. Time was taken with each scene.
Reply 3D Content

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page