3d Show-off disk? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 65 Old 03-01-2012, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Holy 3D, Sammys Adventure 3D Bluray showed up today, AMAZING animation, some really great popouts and all of the depth and animation is A+. The people who did this need to be hired by Pixar and teach them how it's done.

I also saw the famous Potato Fish scene from Under the Sea, paused it and it looks like it's nose is 5' in front of the pause button on the screen.

Saw no ghosting whatsoever in any of this with my Epson 6010 with glasses set for highest lumens and in 3D Dynamic mode. Just incredible!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 65 Old 03-02-2012, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post

Panasonic TY-EW3D3MU 3D Active Shutter Eyewear for Panasonic 3D HDTVs (Medium) at Amazon

Almost always sold out at Amazon (but sometimes you get lucky). My local Best Buy usually has a few pairs in stock at full MSRP ($100). I got mine for less on eBay, but availability varies.

They are way overpriced! I ordered the Xpands, with a family of 5 it would cost almost as much as the TV to cover the whole family in Panasonics. This is what hurts 3D. Samsungs newest glasses are $30.
post #33 of 65 Old 03-02-2012, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaidonjin View Post

They are way overpriced! I ordered the Xpands, with a family of 5 it would cost almost as much as the TV to cover the whole family in Panasonics. This is what hurts 3D. Samsungs newest glasses are $30.

Yes, that's why the Sony Playstation 3D glasses are considered a better buy (~$50)... they're just not as comfortable because they're heavier.
post #34 of 65 Old 03-02-2012, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post

Holy 3D, Sammys Adventure 3D Bluray showed up today, AMAZING animation, some really great popouts and all of the depth and animation is A+. The people who did this need to be hired by Pixar and teach them how it's done.

I also saw the famous Potato Fish scene from Under the Sea, paused it and it looks like it's nose is 5' in front of the pause button on the screen.

Saw no ghosting whatsoever in any of this with my Epson 6010 with glasses set for highest lumens and in 3D Dynamic mode. Just incredible!!!!

Do you have a link? Did you buy the Hong Kong version from yesasia, or do you have a region B blu ray player so you can use the Amazon UK version, or do you have another source for a normal US/region A disc?

I really want to check this one out...
post #35 of 65 Old 03-02-2012, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Do you have a link? Did you buy the Hong Kong version from yesasia, or do you have a region B blu ray player so you can use the Amazon UK version, or do you have another source for a normal US/region A disc?

I really want to check this one out...

I bought it from yesasia region A, definitely worth it!!
post #36 of 65 Old 03-02-2012, 10:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes, that's why the Sony Playstation 3D glasses are considered a better buy (~$50)... they're just not as comfortable because they're heavier.

But are the PS3 glasses better than say the Xpand 103"s????
post #37 of 65 Old 03-02-2012, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For a Panasonic plasma?
post #38 of 65 Old 03-03-2012, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

For a Panasonic plasma?

Yes, Panasonic 65"st30
post #39 of 65 Old 03-03-2012, 11:47 AM

Liked: 11
I am planning to get hugo 3D and avatar 3D. The only 3D i have watched so far is bolt and played uncharted in 3D (Loved the 3d in it)

regarding pop out effects being gimmicky, lol a year ago people (purists!) were calling the whole 3d thing gimmicky. now apparently 3d is not entirely gimmicky, only the pop out 3d is gimmicky! views just keeps changing...
post #40 of 65 Old 03-03-2012, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Based on what I've read, absolutely. I haven't tried them, personally, just the Panny 3rd Gens and the PS3s. But other reviews on the Xpand 103s that I'm seeing are not viewing them as favorably.
post #41 of 65 Old 03-03-2012, 09:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Just watched Arabia in 3D. This was a very well done 3D project using everything from animation to live acting. It was shot in 3D IMAX, has excellent underwater, aerial, and sfx content. The 3DBD has extra features on the making of too which is very interesting but that documentary is only 2D.

For a video that can show many styles of 3D this is it. It is also a very educational video too since it is the first major film production in this country. It shows the secret forbidden city of Mecca and for the first time video of the religious ceremony, the largest event gathering in the world of 3 Million people. It was paid for with the big deep pockets of the Saudi government as a way to educate the western world, particularly America on this country's people past present and plans for the future.
post #42 of 65 Old 03-06-2012, 06:11 PM

do the sony glasses only work if you have a ps3?
post #43 of 65 Old 03-12-2012, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalDistortion View Post

do the sony glasses only work if you have a ps3?

I have the Sony 3D glasses, work excellent with my Panasonic 55GT31. Got them for $40/each at BB on sale. Fits well over my eyeglasses. Only thing I don't like is placement of the on/off switch. For 1/3 the price of the Panasonics, I will deal with it.
post #44 of 65 Old 03-12-2012, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenPet View Post

I have the Sony 3D glasses, work excellent with my Panasonic 55GT31. Got them for $40/each at BB on sale. Fits well over my eyeglasses. Only thing I don't like is placement of the on/off switch. For 1/3 the price of the Panasonics, I will deal with it.

thanks for the info, but will they work if i do not own a ps3?
post #45 of 65 Old 03-12-2012, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes, they should. They work with my panasonic and my comcast cable box. My Xpands are coming tomorrow, so I will see if the PS3 glasses are better. They are way to tight for my big head. I am hoping the Xpands are bigger.
post #46 of 65 Old 03-12-2012, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Sony PS3 glasses are 100% Panasonic IR glasses compatible. (2011 ST/GT/VT30 for sure, and I suspect they work going back to at least the 2009 Panasonic plasmas, perhaps even back to the VT10-era sets?)
post #47 of 65 Old 03-13-2012, 06:25 AM

The Imax Hubble should be a pretty cool 3d demonstration. The sound is obviously not going to do anything for you. I have only seen the blu ray version, but I would think that the 3d effects/depth would be incredible. Expensive disc though.
post #48 of 65 Old 03-13-2012, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbreen76 View Post

The Imax Hubble should be a pretty cool 3d demonstration. The sound is obviously not going to do anything for you. I have only seen the blu ray version, but I would think that the 3d effects/depth would be incredible. Expensive disc though.

Costco has it for like $17 right now. IMAX Under the Sea, too, and at least one other. I picked up Under the Sea about a week ago, and might go back for Hubble at some point.
post #49 of 65 Old 03-13-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:

Costco has it for like $17 right now. IMAX Under the Sea, too, and at least one other. I picked up Under the Sea about a week ago, and might go back for Hubble at some point.

I would, my neighbor paid $45 for that, which equates to $1 per minute
post #50 of 65 Old 03-13-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:

Yes, they should. They work with my panasonic and my comcast cable box. My Xpands are coming tomorrow, so I will see if the PS3 glasses are better. They are way to tight for my big head. I am hoping the Xpands are bigger.

thank you. please keep us updated when you compare your glasses.
post #51 of 65 Old 03-13-2012, 04:44 PM
Gae

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbreen76 View Post

I would, my neighbor paid $45 for that, which equates to $1 per minute

Yep...that's my problem with the IMAX discs. However good they might be, I cant justify paying £10-£15 ($20) for just 40 mins of decent 3D. Unless its a full length movie, I'd prefer to save my cash and just watch some YT3D clips instead.

Gae
post #52 of 65 Old 03-13-2012, 05:23 PM

I got IMAX Deep Sea 3d at Costco as well and it is great 3d! Anyone else have this disc? There are a few scenes with a black bar on one or both sides. I don't have this on my IMAX under the sea. If you have this let me know if you get this or if I need to exchange mine.
post #53 of 65 Old 03-13-2012, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Wife and I are about 1/2 way through Hugo and it is the most impressive use of 3D I have seen yet in a film. It's both non-intrusive, yet fully impressive at the same time. Very hard to explain and maybe not a "show off disc" per se, but the 3D just comes over you and pulls you in. I have not felt this way since seeing Avatar in the theater. Sure, the Imax movies are all pretty much amazing, but Hugo and Avatar, at least to me, are what moves this format forward.

Imax movies my wife and I will "ooooh" and "ahhhhhhhh" every few minutes. Hugo, we are speechless.
post #54 of 65 Old 03-13-2012, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billbofet View Post

Wife and I are about 1/2 way through Hugo and it is the most impressive use of 3D I have seen yet in a film. It's both non-intrusive, yet fully impressive at the same time. Very hard to explain and maybe not a "show off disc" per se, but the 3D just comes over you and pulls you in. I have not felt this way since seeing Avatar in the theater. Sure, the Imax movies are all pretty much amazing, but Hugo and Avatar, at least to me, are what moves this format forward.

Imax movies my wife and I will "ooooh" and "ahhhhhhhh" every few minutes. Hugo, we are speechless.

Agreed... my wife and I had the exact same reaction to Hugo.

That said, I do like the very beginning, the initial opening swoop into the train station... that's great show-off material!

Overall, though, excellent use of 3D throughout the film. Non-intrusive, as you say, just a great sense of depth and looking into a real world throughout the entire film. Every shot seems optimized to show real depth in some way.
post #55 of 65 Old 03-14-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentaldistortion View Post

thank you. Please keep us updated when you compare your glasses.

+1 ^
post #56 of 65 Old 03-14-2012, 09:04 AM

This is great guys! Thanks for the great feedback! I don't have a lot of money, so when it comes down to making a purchase, I would like to make sure I am buying the best of what is out there.
post #57 of 65 Old 03-14-2012, 09:42 AM

I just bought Tahiti Ultimate Wave yesterday from BB at $15 (on sale). It was better than I expected. Good visuals and relaxing 45 minutes. There are some good show off scenes as well like the Solar System scene. Good buy.
post #58 of 65 Old 03-14-2012, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billbofet View Post

I have not felt this way since seeing Avatar in the theater. Sure, the Imax movies are all pretty much amazing, but Hugo and Avatar, at least to me, are what moves this format forward.

Yes, totally in agreement with you! I have around a dozen of what are supposedly the best 3D movies currently available on Blu-ray and out of all them, Avatar and Hugo are easily at the top of the list for my wife, and I...

oz
post #59 of 65 Old 03-14-2012, 10:14 AM

I did watch the Avatar (finally my Blu Ray arrived) couple days ago. This was the second time after watching it at the theatres. It was fantastic! What a show! The depth was very impressive. I guess I am pointing the obvious here
post #60 of 65 Old 03-14-2012, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

I've been toying with the idea of tackling authoring a 3D demo disc of the best show off scenes. (long term project, it would probably be June before I'd likely finish anything, given other time commitments, vacations, etc. between now and then)

We should start assembling "best of" clips... what movie, what time the great clip runs, etc.
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page