3d Show-off disk? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 65 Old 02-11-2012, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone found a source for a realy good test / show off disk for 3d, blu ray hi def, surround audio 7.2 or better? You know, something that has bullets flying from every speaker, emerses you in the film then makes you jump off the back of your chair. Something realy over the top.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 Old 02-11-2012, 06:18 PM

Liked: 18
still waiting for my copy of avatar 3d to ship from panasonic so until then my favorite to show off 3D is Coraline. There's some really good pop out scenes and the depth is just amazing. To top it all off too it's just a unique and interesting story with very well done stop motion animation.
post #3 of 65 Old 02-12-2012, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalhiss View Post

Has anyone found a source for a realy good test / show off disk for 3d, blu ray hi def, surround audio 7.2 or better? You know, something that has bullets flying from every speaker, emerses you in the film then makes you jump off the back of your chair. Something realy over the top.

The scene in Avatar when he first arrives on Pandora and is rolling out of the transport and the guy in Mech suit walks past is good for surround.

The scene when the spirts all congregate on him in the forest is great 3D.

The first 2 minutes of Yogi Bear (seriously) has GREAT 3D. The fireworks scene later in the movie is good too.

The potato cod scene in IMAX Under the Sea is phenomenal 3D.

~Bill
post #4 of 65 Old 02-12-2012, 08:29 AM

Liked: 12
Transformers 3 the last few scenes in the city has great surround and good 3d
post #5 of 65 Old 02-12-2012, 09:53 AM

Tron have the best sound effects
post #6 of 65 Old 02-12-2012, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Gotta be Avatar!

Ed
post #7 of 65 Old 02-12-2012, 12:24 PM

With all the fan-made home theater demo clip discs out there, I'm surprised no one has done a 3D one yet.
post #8 of 65 Old 02-18-2012, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiaNaix View Post

With all the fan-made home theater demo clip discs out there, I'm surprised no one has done a 3D one yet.

I keep hoping someone will. Can regular BR authoring software also do 3D?

But I suspect the bigger issue is that not many people have 3D displays (and the full 3D chain to make use of them), AND a large enough collection of 3D blu-rays from which to assemble a demo disk.

It sure would be nice to have one, though...
post #9 of 65 Old 02-20-2012, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The new Journey to the Center of the Earth has the best pop-out effects I have seen yet. This is my new disc. It does throw the colors off some but it is fun. The rest of the movie is just Ok. I would not watch this in 2-D.
post #10 of 65 Old 02-20-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkpro View Post

The new Journey to the Center of the Earth has the best pop-out effects I have seen yet. This is my new disc. It does throw the colors off some but it is fun. The rest of the movie is just Ok. I would not watch this in 2-D.

Your sound actually POPS OUT ?
post #11 of 65 Old 02-23-2012, 09:43 PM

Imax grand canyon has a great top menu of a bubble expanding and contracting. For the 1st few minutes of the documentry has it as well.
post #12 of 65 Old 02-24-2012, 02:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Simple.. HUGO.. Best 3D movie ever. Trust me

3D items I own:

Sony 46" LX900 active 3D set

Sony HMZ-T3 (Cushion pads and light blocker mod)

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Sony BDP-S570 BD3D player

JVC-GS-TD1 (with Cyclopital base extender)

Fujifilm W3

Sony Alpha 55 (for 3D panoramic photos)

Quadcopter + Zenmuse and GoPro Hero 3 (Filming...

post #13 of 65 Old 02-25-2012, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravia3D View Post

Simple.. HUGO.. Best 3D movie ever. Trust me

Best in what way? Still looking for some good negative parallax, have Sammy's Adventure on its way to me hoping it finally gives me some good pop outs...
post #14 of 65 Old 02-26-2012, 06:20 AM

Supposed to be severe crosstalk in Hugo. throughout the whole film.
post #15 of 65 Old 02-26-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiZMiK View Post

Not possible...discs aren't encoded with crosstalk. If you're seeing more/less crosstalk on some discs than others, it's a reflection of the colors/contrast employed in those discs, and your display chain's (TV, projector, glasses) inability to render full separation between the left and right frames.
post #16 of 65 Old 02-26-2012, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Crosstalk is primarily a hardware issue NOT a software issue.
post #17 of 65 Old 02-26-2012, 06:55 PM

lol yeah thanks for the lecture.

I did say suppsedly and I was reading the blu-ray.com review of it.
post #18 of 65 Old 02-29-2012, 05:16 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

i saw a few scenes that had little crosstalk, but not throughout the whole film. it was actually very clean.
post #19 of 65 Old 02-29-2012, 11:15 PM
Advanced Member

I hear Bolt is supposed to be pretty good, and the opening 2 minutes were awesome for surround sound.
post #20 of 65 Old 03-01-2012, 06:51 AM

I personally havent had any crosstalk at all with any 3d movie ive seen. I watched Hugo last night, on top of it being a rather boring movie, i was distracted by horrible crosstalk throughout the movie. I could find very few things in the movie interesting or enjoyable, the 3d wasnt that great except for in the long halls or when they were in the library.

Overall, i wouldnt say Hugo is the best 3d movie by any stretch. Its not interesting, has nothing special happening. The imagery is really, really pretty, but with the crosstalk, the beauty was lost.

All in all, as much as i hate saying it, Avatar is the best full length 3d movie ive seen, even though im not a fan of that storie either. The best demo is still the potato cod in under the sea.

Shawn
post #21 of 65 Old 03-01-2012, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

For pop out effects, Journey to the Center of the Earth. For overall 3D with awesome audio, Dark of the Moon (T3)...ridiculous!
post #22 of 65 Old 03-01-2012, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Out of all the 3D movies that I've seen at home, Avatar offers the best 3D by far.

Edited: have watched Hugo 3D now and it is my second best 3D effects movie out of the 10 or so 3D movies that I have.

oz
post #23 of 65 Old 03-01-2012, 11:59 AM

Just saw Hugo last night, projected on a 137" screen... Astonishing! Felt like being in a Paris train station. Best word to describe the overall effect, Luscious. This replaces Avatar as my go-to showoff movie.
post #24 of 65 Old 03-01-2012, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinalyx View Post

I personally havent had any crosstalk at all with any 3d movie ive seen. I watched Hugo last night, on top of it being a rather boring movie, i was distracted by horrible crosstalk throughout the movie. I could find very few things in the movie interesting or enjoyable, the 3d wasnt that great except for in the long halls or when they were in the library.

Overall, i wouldnt say Hugo is the best 3d movie by any stretch. Its not interesting, has nothing special happening. The imagery is really, really pretty, but with the crosstalk, the beauty was lost.

All in all, as much as i hate saying it, Avatar is the best full length 3d movie ive seen, even though im not a fan of that storie either. The best demo is still the potato cod in under the sea.

I'll have to disagree with you. The merits of the movie itself, of course, are pure opinion, and they will vary.

As for the 3D aspects, my wife and I were stunned, watching it last night. Best 3D we've ever seen in a movie. (admittedly, we've only seen a few, How to Train Your Dragon, Kung Fu Panda 2, Puss In Boots, and Tron Legacy... perhaps Avatar, which I haven't seen in 3D at home yet, is better?) Great camera angles and depth throughout.

If you're looking for gimmicky pop-outs, there weren't many to see, so if that's all you care about, it explains your opinion. But as to the rest of the movie, I was constantly impressed throughout the film with the careful way each shot was crafted to give a real sense of true 3D depth.

Meanwhile, next time I want to show off the 3D on my set (Panny 65ST30), I'll be turning to Hugo.
post #25 of 65 Old 03-01-2012, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post

I'll have to disagree with you. The merits of the movie itself, of course, are pure opinion, and they will vary.

As for the 3D aspects, my wife and I were stunned, watching it last night. Best 3D we've ever seen in a movie. (admittedly, we've only seen a few, How to Train Your Dragon, Kung Fu Panda 2, Puss In Boots, and Tron Legacy... perhaps Avatar, which I haven't seen in 3D at home yet, is better?) Great camera angles and depth throughout.

If you're looking for gimmicky pop-outs, there weren't many to see, so if that's all you care about, it explains your opinion. But as to the rest of the movie, I was constantly impressed throughout the film with the careful way each shot was crafted to give a real sense of true 3D depth.

Meanwhile, next time I want to show off the 3D on my set (Panny 65ST30), I'll be turning to Hugo.

Is it me or do some people express negativity about popouts by calling it gimmicky? To me there is a place and a market for popout effects, most people will reference a short segment or two in a movie and that's all there is, just not enough. I haven't seen Hugo so can't comment if popouts would be appropriate but I'm tired of snobs referring to it in a negative fashion as gimmicks, to me I would use the term cool and impressive just like the 3D presentations you see at amusement parks that have a lot of popouts.
post #26 of 65 Old 03-01-2012, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post

Is it me or do some people express negativity about popouts by calling it gimmicky? To me there is a place and a market for popout effects, most people will reference a short segment or two in a movie and that's all there is, just not enough. I haven't seen Hugo so can't comment if popouts would be appropriate but I'm tired of snobs referring to it in a negative fashion as gimmicks, to me I would use the term cool and impressive just like the 3D presentations you see at amusement parks that have a lot of popouts.

I don't necessarily considering pop-outs to be a bad or negative thing... it totally depends on context.

IMO, if it contributes to the story, it's not a gimmick. If it's being done just for the sake of doing it because it's cool, that doesn't make it NOT cool, however, it does make it a gimmick. Gimmicks can be cool. That doesn't mean they're not gimmicks... stunts done just because they can, and not because they actually contribute in any way to the story.

The infamous potato cod scene is definitely a gimmick. It's cool, though... and doesn't interfere with the story. (not much story there, of course, more of a general narrative that's not quite the same thing as a genuine story.)

If you're watching a desk specifically designed to show off 3D for it's own sake, it's not a gimmick, it's a feature. If a movie does some random 3D pop out thing in the middle of just because they can, and it doesn't help tell the story in any way, it's just a gimmick. In that instance, if my "ooh, a pop out" moment takes me out of the story, it was a negative thing, and I will consider it as such.
post #27 of 65 Old 03-01-2012, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What glasses are you using for your Panny???
post #28 of 65 Old 03-01-2012, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaidonjin View Post

What glasses are you using for your Panny???

I have both the 3rd gen Panasonic glasses and the Sony PS3 glasses. Tried both during the movie, switching back and forth to see if there was any difference. They look different and feel different, but when you're wearing them the 3D is too identical to tell apart, IMO (and in my wife's opinion).
post #29 of 65 Old 03-01-2012, 08:29 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I have both the 3rd gen Panasonic glasses and the Sony PS3 glasses. Tried both during the movie, switching back and forth to see if there was any difference. They look different and feel different, but when you're wearing them the 3D is too identical to tell apart, IMO (and in my wife's opinion).

is there a model number for the 3rd gen panasonic glasses?
post #30 of 65 Old 03-01-2012, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalDistortion View Post

is there a model number for the 3rd gen panasonic glasses?

Panasonic TY-EW3D3MU 3D Active Shutter Eyewear for Panasonic 3D HDTVs (Medium) at Amazon

Almost always sold out at Amazon (but sometimes you get lucky). My local Best Buy usually has a few pairs in stock at full MSRP ($100). I got mine for less on eBay, but availability varies.
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page