Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 43 Old 03-29-2012, 10:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopLord View Post

This was one of those movies where 3D wasn't necessary. I guess that can be said for most movies, but this movie (like Puss in Boots) was more enjoyable in 2D, IMHO.

Really? I thought the 3D in Puss n Boots was fantastic. One of those movies where I really enjoyed it so much more in 3D than 2D. Possibly one of my top 5.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 03-30-2012, 12:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by desrtmod View Post

I wish all future releases will have 1:78 aspect ratio....having black bars on the borders diminish the 3D effects. Not all of us 3D fan boys can afford 100"++ flat screens, or the megabucks projector setups necessary to maximize 3D viewing.

Thank God it wasn't cropped. (And I only have a 47" set.)

post #33 of 43 Old 04-03-2012, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Watched this last night with the fiancee. A very enjoyable film, the 3D was immersive at times, a bit flat at others, the occasional pop-out (I would have thought they'd take a bit more advantage of that, since the "stunts" were so over-the-top).

I do have one gripe, obvious from the first scene, that probably affected my overall enjoyment of the film (minor spoiler):

TinTin's dog is way smarter and more observant than he is. The dog should be on all those newspaper front pages mounted in TinTin's flat, not his dopey "owner".

He seemed to get a bit smarter by the end of the movie, I suppose.

Just my two cents. I'll pick up the next installment, unless reviews trend otherwise (e.g. Happy Feet 2, anyone?)

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #34 of 43 Old 04-03-2012, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 41
This is a great looking movie and the 3D played a role in that. As far as the story, it was ok but there was no tension or sense of danger. It all seemed so convient.
post #35 of 43 Old 04-03-2012, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 68
There are a lot of reviews going in both directions on this movie so I've still not decided whether or not to buy it, but it will definitely include the 3D copy should I go ahead and take the plunge. Hopefully, there will be a good sale price on it at some point in the near future and that will help me with pulling the trigger.

oz
post #36 of 43 Old 04-04-2012, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

Thank God it wasn't cropped. (And I only have a 47" set.)

+1!

I have a 120" screen (16:9) but still agree with you!

Great movie!

Ed
post #37 of 43 Old 04-05-2012, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny905 View Post

Really? I thought the 3D in Puss n Boots was fantastic. One of those movies where I really enjoyed it so much more in 3D than 2D. Possibly one of my top 5.

+1. If you didn't like Puss n Boots in 3D, but prefer 2D, I don't know if 3D is for you. j/k

I know these are all opinions, but that movie was really good and 3D was nice. Also b/c I enjoy 3D so I prefer that version.

post #38 of 43 Old 04-05-2012, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I watched this last weekend and thought it was very vanilla considering the talent involved.

Like the post above, every action scene was "convenient" and there was never a sense of any danger whatsoever. The scene on the motorcycle with the town flooding, while cool, was so over the top and cartoony it destroyed any tension the movie could have after that.

As for the 3D I was extremely let down. There was so okay depth, but it added nothing to the experience with the exception of the motorcycle, no stakes at all, scene I am mentioning above.

This may be blasphemous, but I felt the 3D was about as good as the 2D to 3D conversion my player can do on a standard blu ray. Like a conversion.

Course, what the hell do I know. I picked up Harry Potter 7.2 and thought the 3D was pretty nice.
post #39 of 43 Old 04-05-2012, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 140
Quote:

As for the 3D I was extremely let down. There was so okay depth, but it added nothing to the experience with the exception of the motorcycle, no stakes at all, scene I am mentioning above.

This may be blasphemous, but I felt the 3D was about as good as the 2D to 3D conversion my player can do on a standard blu ray. Like a conversion.

Course, what the hell do I know. I picked up Harry Potter 7.2 and thought the 3D was pretty nice.

That is the polar opposite of my experience. Harry Potter 7.2 was my second favourite film next to Prizoner of Azkaban, but the 3D was so craptacular I preferred the 2D version.

Tintin, on the other hand, is one of my reference 3D movies. Sure, there is very little, if any, popout, but the depth I found to be outstanding. The detail was equally fantastic - I could see every hair on Tintin's head. My favourite scene was near the beginning in the city square - very good sense of depth.

I'll agree that there was no sense of urgency or tension in that scene - kinda reminded me of old school bond, but meh whatever. It was still a good flick imho.

It's just amazing the difference of opinion on the 3D in this movie. It makes me wonder what kind of set people are watching this movie on. For me, I have an Optoma HD3300 on a DIY 112" 16:9 screen using a Samsung BD 6700 3D blu ray player.

post #40 of 43 Old 04-05-2012, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I think some of my opinion is based on my expectations. I assumed the 3D in Tin Tin would be mind blowing and I did watch it as a follow up to Sammy's Adventure. Sammy's Adventure even with all the hype and praise for it's 3D EXCEEDED my expectations.

Harry Potter 7.2 on the other hand I went in thinking it would be an awful, dreadful experience. While it's not reference material by any stretch, I think the 3D will nicely add to the experience next time I watch it.

For reference, I have the Acer 5360 projecting on to a 110" Elite screen with a Panasonic BDT310 player.

Another thing that may have hurt my opinion of Tin Tin is I actually hated the animation style. I don't understand why they would go to such lengths to achieve an almost photo-realistic render and then populate that with over-the-top, cartoony action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post

That is the polar opposite of my experience. Harry Potter 7.2 was my second favourite film next to Prizoner of Azkaban, but the 3D was so craptacular I preferred the 2D version.

Tintin, on the other hand, is one of my reference 3D movies. Sure, there is very little, if any, popout, but the depth I found to be outstanding. The detail was equally fantastic - I could see every hair on Tintin's head. My favourite scene was near the beginning in the city square - very good sense of depth.

I'll agree that there was no sense of urgency or tension in that scene - kinda reminded me of old school bond, but meh whatever. It was still a good flick imho.

It's just amazing the difference of opinion on the 3D in this movie. It makes me wonder what kind of set people are watching this movie on. For me, I have an Optoma HD3300 on a DIY 112" 16:9 screen using a Samsung BD 6700 3D blu ray player.

post #41 of 43 Old 04-06-2012, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 140
Quote:

I think some of my opinion is based on my expectations. I assumed the 3D in Tin Tin would be mind blowing and I did watch it as a follow up to Sammy's Adventure. Sammy's Adventure even with all the hype and praise for it's 3D EXCEEDED my expectations.

Fair enough. I want to see Sammy's Adventure, but I really am not that big a fan of cartoons (although Tintin was one, it didn't really feel like one). What I really want is a good live action flick that has the apparent 3D awesomeness of Sammy's Adventure. Thus far I've found that a lot of the live 3D has some really nauseating scenes that throw me off, where I don't see that in the cartoony 3D movies (exception is Ultimate Wave: Tahiti).

post #42 of 43 Old 04-06-2012, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I also thought the 3d on Tin Tin wasn't great. It also wasn't horrible but I thought it should have been better. Despite that, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. Maybe it's because it reminded me so much of the video game Uncharted 3. So I can see why people also wouldn't care much for it.
post #43 of 43 Old 05-18-2012, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Got this title yesterday. The 3D is very good and consistent throughout. They could teach the people who made Underworld Awakenings a thing or two about how to make a 3D movie!
Reply 3D Content

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page