Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 47 Old 02-21-2012, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I'm not trying to start another debate. I'm just curious which we value the most in a movie.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 02-21-2012, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Even for me. I want lots of both! I suppose if I HAD to choose I'd lean toward pop slightly.

~Bill
post #3 of 47 Old 02-21-2012, 07:39 PM

Liked: 10
Popout for me.
I think you can create plenty of depth on a 2D movie/TV , while it takes a 3D TV to create popout
post #4 of 47 Old 02-21-2012, 07:41 PM

Depth is nice and needs to be there, but popouts is what makes 3D IMHO.
post #5 of 47 Old 02-21-2012, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I agree with more pop out. Depth is great and most all 3D movies have plenty of it but not nearly the same amount of pop. I want more pop!!! I can't wait til the picture can go outside the frame/border of the TV or projector.
post #6 of 47 Old 02-21-2012, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Definitely pop-out since so few 3D BluRays have it! Call it gimmicky all you like I want it at least some of the time in some of the 3D releases!
post #7 of 47 Old 02-21-2012, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

I like both and theres no reason we can't have em both.

Edit: That said i would really love to see more popout, which *I think* they limit because they don't want objects that are popping out to touch the sides of the screen which is another reason i hope TVs get bigger and bigger and film's FoV match that increase. Imagine popout on a 180 degree dome display... that would be interesting. The tech is available to do this games and even movies right now, but i bet i'll be in the grave before it comes out.
post #8 of 47 Old 02-21-2012, 08:48 PM

Not sure which option to choose. Both, I suppose. I care most about consistent realistic-looking dimension in every scene, which is best achieved when at least part of the foreground is poking out of the screen and part of the background is recessed.
post #9 of 47 Old 02-21-2012, 09:42 PM

I care more about depth.Pop-out is good,if its done correctly,and not to excesively.Back in the 80's it was all about pop-out,there was no depth what so ever.Depth adds alot to the experience,just watch imax under the sea,and there was only a few pop-out scenes.If i watched a 3d movie that was nothing but pop-out,i don't think i would enjoy it.
post #10 of 47 Old 02-21-2012, 11:45 PM

Depth all the time with some good pops
post #11 of 47 Old 02-22-2012, 12:48 AM

Liked: 15
I like some pop out, but the winning 3D effect for me is the depth.

Both Hugo & Avatar had very little pop out effects, but the depth is what makes these movies the "reference" in 3D! Loved the cod fish in Under the Sea, as well as many of the parts referred to in "best 3D effects" threads, but I love the immersive effects with depth. Sorry, just my own humble opinion!

Maybe there should be a "BOTH"
post #12 of 47 Old 02-22-2012, 02:00 AM

Liked: 11
Depth all the way for me. Watch a lot of live sport, documentaries and travelogues etc. and thankfully, there's no pop-out and it's the depth that gives the feeling of being there.

I suppose if I watched a lot of CGI movies, which I don't, I'd want more pop-out.
post #13 of 47 Old 02-22-2012, 04:05 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Depth like the real world for me. Pop out is the sort of eyestrain inducing aspect of 3D that eventually bores people and convinces the world we don't need 3D. It should be used sparingly if at all.
post #14 of 47 Old 02-22-2012, 06:21 AM
VFC

Some in-your-face pop outs have to be there in every movie in order to differentiate 3D from a regular movie. For me, Disney World set the standard for 3D; with their huge pop out effects.

I recently received my 3D Avatar rebate disc. I was so excited; I immediately invited some of my in-laws over to watch it. Most of them had the 2D version, but I convinced them the 3D version was much better and worth watching it again.

While watching the movie, I could tell they were not impressed by the 3D. They commented on the image quality of the TV and the sound coming from the sound bar/sub woofer; but no one commented on any 3D effects. I found myself pointing out the depth in certain scenes, just so they knew that it really was a 3D movie; but still no "wow that's cool" comments.

In my opinion, we have to have some movies with nearly non-stop pop outs to generate the enthusiasm to move the average home owner to invest in 3D equipment. Look at how many threads there are about people looking for good 3D movies with great pop outs. Even people like us who already made the investment in 3D are still looking for the one perfect show-off movie.
post #15 of 47 Old 02-22-2012, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFC View Post

Some in-your-face pop outs have to be there in every movie in order to differentiate 3D from a regular movie. For me, Disney World set the standard for 3D; with their huge pop out effects.

If people cannot see the difference between a regular 2D movie and a 3D movie which has depth and an image that goes back beyond the wall on which a TV is mounted, they must be blind! The difference is clear to see for everybody but the 3D visually impaired minority.

I am not against pop-out when its done sparingly for effect and appropriately. Avatar is a good example. The floaty things were out of the screen whereas the forrests went back into it. That was fine and Ocean Wonderland was spectacular but people spitting or poking me with objects in my face! No thank you!

When people care more about pop-out than depth when in the real world pop-out is a lot less prevelant that depth, I think something is getting lost somewhere. 3D should be about natural 3D as we perceive it in the real world and not just gimmicks. In my opinion 3D is in real trouble if people don't really care about depth as much as they do about pop-out.
post #16 of 47 Old 02-22-2012, 07:07 AM
VFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcdesign View Post

If people cannot see the difference between a regular 2D movie and a 3D movie which has depth and an image that goes back beyond the wall on which a TV is mounted, they must be blind! The difference is clear to see for everybody but the 3D visually impaired minority. .......

I think most people can see the difference but it's not that dramatic; at least not enough to say wow and then run out and buy a 3D TV.

In fact, I think I have the opposite problem. When I watched the 2D version of Avatar, my mind created the depth to my satisfaction. That left me wondering which was a better viewing experience; watching 3D generated depth while wearing glasses or mind generated depth without glasses.
post #17 of 47 Old 02-22-2012, 07:10 AM

3D to me is when parts of the movie take places between you and the TV, right in middle of your living room. Sure the depth is nice , but no matter how much depth you add to it, its still "pushed in" instead of out and not actual THIRD dimension in my opinion.
post #18 of 47 Old 02-22-2012, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billken View Post

even for me. I want lots of both! I suppose if i had to choose i'd lean toward pop slightly.

+1
post #19 of 47 Old 02-22-2012, 07:38 AM

When people care more about pop-out than depth when in the real world pop-out is a lot less prevelant that depth, I think something is getting lost somewhere. 3D should be about natural 3D as we perceive it in the real world and not just gimmicks. In my opinion 3D is in real trouble if people don't really care about depth as much as they do about pop-out.[/quote]

I have to agree with you, although I enjoy pop-out but when you think about, pop-out is seldom available in real life, so depth makes it the most realistic.
post #20 of 47 Old 02-22-2012, 08:15 AM
VFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bontrager View Post

When people care more about pop-out than depth when in the real world pop-out is a lot less prevelant that depth, I think something is getting lost somewhere. 3D should be about natural 3D as we perceive it in the real world and not just gimmicks. In my opinion 3D is in real trouble if people don't really care about depth as much as they do about pop-out.

I think the problem lies in the fact that after all these years of watching 2D TVs, our minds have adapted well to generating depth perception. And there are some 2D movies where objects moving quickly towards you may cause you to duck or blink; so our minds are also adapting a form of 3D perception.

The 3D pop out effect adds to the enjoyment of watching a movie; much like when hi-def. and 5.1 sound systems were introduced.

Another analogy; I can watch a person handling a dangerous snake and enjoy it. I would not marvel at the depth of the background behind the snake handler. However, if the person suddenly pops the snake in my face, I have a totally different viewing experience and feel much more part of the experience. That's entertainment........
post #21 of 47 Old 02-22-2012, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I voted depth although both a important to a great 3D experience.
post #22 of 47 Old 02-22-2012, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Depth. Pop-out doesn't work for my eyes I guess because I never really see it on any form of 3D.
post #23 of 47 Old 02-22-2012, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 115
The best pop-out effect I've ever experienced was when I was a youngster visiting Disney World's Magic Eye Theater in Orlando, FL. In the opening sequence of "Captain EO", an asteroid appears to float rotating just in front of the viewer, and I swear virtually everyone in the theater reached out to grab it, myself included. I have not had a similar experience at either an IMAX 3D theater or at home, so as much as I would prefer pop-out I am more than willing to settle for depth.
post #24 of 47 Old 02-22-2012, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post

The best pop-out effect I've ever experienced was when I was a youngster visiting Disney World's Magic Eye Theater in Orlando, FL. In the opening sequence of "Captain EO", an asteroid appears to float rotating just in front of the viewer, and I swear virtually everyone in the theater reached out to grab it, myself included. I have not had a similar experience at either an IMAX 3D theater or at home, so as much as I would prefer pop-out I am more than willing to settle for depth.

SOS earth has some great pop out effects. There is a scene where the earth is just floating right in the room you think you can grab it. Its on Cox ondemand, probably the best pop out I have ever seen. I'm more in the depth camp, as depth done right adds to the immersion of a film, pop out just reminds you hey I'm in 3D. I don't see why we can't have both, just need to balance things out.
post #25 of 47 Old 02-22-2012, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Depth does it for me... but a bit of popout is okay if done properly!

I thought the 3D in Avatar was done about right, so hoping it will look as good in Hugo, too.

oz
post #26 of 47 Old 02-22-2012, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozar View Post

Depth does it for me... but a bit of popout is okay if done properly!

I thought the 3D in Avatar was done about right, so hoping it will look as good in Hugo, too.

I concur. Pop-out is good, but some heavy pop-out tends to make me flinch, and I don't care to be flinched. All it does is get you punched in the arm.

Wolfie
post #27 of 47 Old 02-22-2012, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Both

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #28 of 47 Old 02-22-2012, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
I'd have to say popout. Popout is what makes people go WOW and jump back. I love depth, but I want more popout so I reach out trying to touch the object.

This is one reason I make many of my 3D movies I produce with popout scenes because so many 3DBD's lack it. I love it and want much, much more of it.

3D items I own:

Sony 46" LX900 active 3D set

Sony HMZ-T3 (Cushion pads and light blocker mod)

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Sony BDP-S570 BD3D player

JVC-GS-TD1 (with Cyclopital base extender)

Fujifilm W3

Sony Alpha 55 (for 3D panoramic photos)

Quadcopter + Zenmuse and GoPro Hero 3 (Filming...

post #29 of 47 Old 02-22-2012, 04:26 PM

Liked: 44
Depth = a sense of reality

Popout = gimmick
post #30 of 47 Old 02-22-2012, 05:41 PM

I like a good balance of both. I do however find pop impressive.
Reply 3D Content

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page