I have over 150 3D Blu-rays and the new standard for 3D is....... - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 92 Old 03-01-2012, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
conan48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Igloo
Posts: 2,123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickoakdl View Post

You download them, you don't have to lie. I personally don't care, but I don't buy the whole "my dealer friend gets me them early." If that is the case, take a picture of your Happy Feet 2 and Tintin 3D Blu-rays with a note with your screen name on it.

This thread has gotten ridiculous. I don't have to prove anything to you or anyone else by wasting my time posting pictures of boxes. This thread was never about my BD 3D collection (or where I got it from). It was about how great I thought Hugo was in relation to having seen 150+ 3D movies. I'm done posting in this thread and a mod can delete or lock it if they want.

I'm trying to give people early reviews so they can make an informed decision on weather to buy it or not. This thread has served it's purpose and now it's degenerated into a troll fast fueled by either jealousy or contempt. (I care not which)
conan48 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 92 Old 03-01-2012, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JuiceRocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Manhattan Beach, California
Posts: 4,691
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
conan48, what player do you use to watch your foreign movies? I've been a big collector of foreign movies over the years, and just purchased a 3D tv (Panny VT30). I'm trying to figure out what a decent 3D blu-ray player is and just began browsing the 3D forums here.

Not so "support" you conan48, but simply to share with others on this forum - there are many individuals on the forum who post here who receive copies of movies far before they are released to the public. This is, after all, a forum primarily visited by individuals who have an interest in A/V that is perhaps outside the normal TV/movie watcher. With that comes all sorts of interesting hook-ups and stories which include receiving movies before release date.

And from a pure numbers perspective, there are individuals on this forum who have dizzying numbers of DVDs. Simply a positive, healthy symptom of those interested in the A/V world.

Moving back to the main topic you posted, I haven't seen Hugo yet, but will certainly purchase the 3D blu-ray. I'm currently buying a few 3D movies so when I receive my TV I'll be able to get some early viewing in. Thanks to the other poster (nikonf5) here who pointed out the 3 areas to receive information on top 3D movies. From your experience conan, what would your top 5 3D movies be right now?

-JR
JuiceRocket is offline  
post #33 of 92 Old 03-01-2012, 05:48 PM
Senior Member
 
Symtex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post


This thread has gotten ridiculous. I don't have to prove anything to you or anyone else by wasting my time posting pictures of boxes. This thread was never about my BD 3D collection (or where I got it from). It was about how great I thought Hugo was in relation to having seen 150+ 3D movies. I'm done posting in this thread and a mod can delete or lock it if they want.

I'm trying to give people early reviews so they can make an informed decision on weather to buy it or not. This thread has served it's purpose and now it's degenerated into a troll fast fueled by either jealousy or contempt. (I care not which)

I think you download them. Your defensive reply only makes it worse
Symtex is offline  
post #34 of 92 Old 03-01-2012, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
nickoakdl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 944
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Well now you are just lying. In fact, this is from your Battle for Terra 3D thread.


Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

WOW. WOW. WOW.

This is one of the best 3D blurays I've seen (and I have them all) Outstanding depth and pop out throughout the entire movie.

Since the movie takes place in floating world there are so many great flying scenes that make this movie a great showcase for 3D. Not to mention all the great scenes in space. Also the way the movie was mastered, they weren't afraid to add that extra depth and pop out when compared to most of the titles I have. The only other ones with comparable depth and pop are the IMAX titles.

The movie itself is fairly good, and you can see where James Cameron got his inspiration. (other then dances with wolves offcourse)

Everyone should put this on there must have lists!!

It's a Jap release and I'm not sure if you can import it or not, but the Internet is your friend

nickoakdl is offline  
post #35 of 92 Old 03-01-2012, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
Airion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 786
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Clearly some people are defensive about the size of their collections! Reading that Hugo is the best in a collection of 150 Blu-rays is much more impressive than best of only a handful. It doesn't sound to me like they were pirated, but whether they were or not, it's irrelevant to this thread. It's also quite common to have a policy of buying everything that you can, but pirate what few things you can't buy due to regional restrictions or language barriers.
Airion is online now  
post #36 of 92 Old 03-01-2012, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
conan48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Igloo
Posts: 2,123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuiceRocket View Post

conan48, what player do you use to watch your foreign movies? I've been a big collector of foreign movies over the years, and just purchased a 3D tv (Panny VT30). I'm trying to figure out what a decent 3D blu-ray player is and just began browsing the 3D forums here.

Not so "support" you conan48, but simply to share with others on this forum - there are many individuals on the forum who post here who receive copies of movies far before they are released to the public. This is, after all, a forum primarily visited by individuals who have an interest in A/V that is perhaps outside the normal TV/movie watcher. With that comes all sorts of interesting hook-ups and stories which include receiving movies before release date.

And from a pure numbers perspective, there are individuals on this forum who have dizzying numbers of DVDs. Simply a positive, healthy symptom of those interested in the A/V world.


Moving back to the main topic you posted, I haven't seen Hugo yet, but will certainly purchase the 3D blu-ray. I'm currently buying a few 3D movies so when I receive my TV I'll be able to get some early viewing in. Thanks to the other poster (nikonf5) here who pointed out the 3 areas to receive information on top 3D movies. From your experience conan, what would your top 5 3D movies be right now?

-JR

I use an HTPC and use mainly powerdvd 11 with anydvd to get region free playback. There are many standalone 3D BD players that can be hacked for region free playback also. The best 3D BD player is the Oppo 93, but I'm not sure if it's hacked for region free playback.

I'll post my top 5 another time. Not in the mood right now, and may start posting on bluray.com or other bluray sites.
conan48 is offline  
post #37 of 92 Old 03-02-2012, 06:04 AM
Member
 
insman1132's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hugo is now available for rental from 3d-blurayrental.com

Mine has been shipped and I am anxious to see what all the great hype on this film is all about. I have no doubt it will be a wonderful evening of viewing.
insman1132 is offline  
post #38 of 92 Old 03-02-2012, 06:13 AM
Newbie
 
turbotboz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow. You guys turned a good review/thread into a pile of ****. Congrats
turbotboz is offline  
post #39 of 92 Old 03-02-2012, 08:33 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 12,964
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Thanks for the review Conan One question, do you still have your RS55 and if so how bad is the ghosting on Hugo with it? I know you have the Epson now, but cant remember if you sold the 55 or not. I am guessing this is going to be a torture test for the JVCs and just curious how much ghosting I should expect with my 45.

Thanks!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Toe is offline  
post #40 of 92 Old 03-02-2012, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JuiceRocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Manhattan Beach, California
Posts: 4,691
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

I use an HTPC and use mainly powerdvd 11 with anydvd to get region free playback. There are many standalone 3D BD players that can be hacked for region free playback also. The best 3D BD player is the Oppo 93, but I'm not sure if it's hacked for region free playback.

I'll post my top 5 another time. Not in the mood right now, and may start posting on bluray.com or other bluray sites.

Thanks conan. I have two hacked DVD players, so I'm familiar with that process. I'll do some digging online for reviews and see what I can find out. I've always seen the Oppo (even before blu-ray), but have never purchased one.

-JR
JuiceRocket is offline  
post #41 of 92 Old 03-02-2012, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
nickoakdl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 944
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Conan48, I would like to apologize.

In fact, if you take pictures of your 150 3D Blu-ray collection, and also a close up of Battle of Terra and The Adventures of Tintin 3D Blu-rays with a note that says your name, I will send you $10 via paypal. You can PM me your address so I know who to send it to once you post the pictures. I'm sure you will post the pictures because anyone with such an amazing collection would be proud to show it off, and if pictures weren't posted it would look like an admission of guilt (albeit falsely).

Once that happens I will gladly give you the aforementioned cash.
nickoakdl is offline  
post #42 of 92 Old 03-02-2012, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
conan48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Igloo
Posts: 2,123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Thanks for the review Conan One question, do you still have your RS55 and if so how bad is the ghosting on Hugo with it? I know you have the Epson now, but cant remember if you sold the 55 or not. I am guessing this is going to be a torture test for the JVCs and just curious how much ghosting I should expect with my 45.

Thanks!

I actually sent the JVC back and got a refund from my dealer. Had issues in 2D, and the 3D was HORRIBLE with the JVC. The funny this is that the RS50 did much better in 3D then the RS55 and this was confirmed by many other people. Not sure how the RS45 will compare, but I would expect it to be just as bad.

The Epson is light years better then the JVC for 3D. Brighter, less flicker, and much less ghosting. Hopefully JVC fixes the 3D issues for the upcoming 2013 models. I really can't say enough good stuff about the Epson 5010 for both 2D and 3D. you can find my review in the shootout thread.

Oh, and Happy Feet 2 has TONS of depth but no real pop out effect. It's also weird that even though there is a lot of depth, the seperation between objects is low. It's like the whole movie was just pushed way back into the screen. VERY strange. I can guarantee you that Happy Feet 2 will be the new ghosting benchmark. Even with the Epson the ghosting was noticeable, but not too distracting. Can't imagine how bad it will look on less capable displays.....
conan48 is offline  
post #43 of 92 Old 03-02-2012, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
conan48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Igloo
Posts: 2,123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickoakdl View Post

Conan48, I would like to apologize.

In fact, if you take pictures of your 150 3D Blu-ray collection, and also a close up of Battle of Terra and The Adventures of Tintin 3D Blu-rays with a note that says your name, I will send you $10 via paypal. You can PM me your address so I know who to send it to once you post the pictures. I'm sure you will post the pictures because anyone with such an amazing collection would be proud to show it off, and if pictures weren't posted it would look like an admission of guilt (albeit falsely).

Once that happens I will gladly give you the aforementioned cash.

LOL. You are a funny guy.

How bout I send you a picture of my ****, and I'll pay you 10.00 to not post in this thread anymore. I got nothing to prove to you or anyone else. This thread was never about me being "proud" of my collection. It is what it is......Does you jealousy have no bounds?

If me not posting pics is an admission of guilt. I guess I'm guilty, if that will make you happy. You won. Call in the Polish cavalry, and have them parade me through the streets so that I may be humiliated and punished.
conan48 is offline  
post #44 of 92 Old 03-02-2012, 11:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
nickoakdl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 944
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

I'll pay you 10.00 to not post in this thread anymore.\\

Paypal or Amazon Giftcard?
nickoakdl is offline  
post #45 of 92 Old 03-03-2012, 08:07 AM
Member
 
insman1132's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well my rental came in yesterday's mail and I viewed it last evening. It is truly a wonderful film and for any age. Don't miss seeing it, guys.

And yes, as Martin S said, "it needs to be seen in 3D" A great use of the 3D technology all the way through. The inside the clock's scenes are magnificant! As are the exterior shots of Paris. A few gentle pop-outs for those who favor them in a 3D film. And the musical score is outstanding and really helps to make the film.

Having been here to see the old days of 3D -- Bwana Don, House of Wax, Hondo, etc -- in the theatres back in the 1950's, it is a real treat to see the technology being used better and better by the truly qualified directors.
insman1132 is offline  
post #46 of 92 Old 03-03-2012, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
threed123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Troy, MI, USA
Posts: 2,476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I have an exta shrink-wrapped copy of the Hugo Limited 3D edition. PM me if interested.
threed123 is offline  
post #47 of 92 Old 03-03-2012, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
johnsmith808's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,819
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
How does a helpful review by the op turn into a senseless attack on his moral character? If you know anything about him, it's that he absolutely loves 3d and has gone through great lengths to enjoy it. To me that makes his review that much more meaningful.
johnsmith808 is offline  
post #48 of 92 Old 03-03-2012, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
curtishd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,742
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by threed123 View Post

I have an exta shrink-wrapped copy of the Hugo Limited 3D edition. PM me if interested.

I tried to PM you an offer but your inbox was full. I can offer Shrek 4 3D in a sleeve.
curtishd is offline  
post #49 of 92 Old 03-03-2012, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Blue Rain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 1,552
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Time Warner Cable has HUGO in HD and they also
have the 3D version .


Anyone happen to know the quality of the 3D version on TWC ?

Thanks

See My AVS Classified Ad .
Blue Rain is offline  
post #50 of 92 Old 03-03-2012, 08:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
CINERAMAX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: everywhere
Posts: 12,462
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith808 View Post

How does a helpful review by the op turn into a senseless attack on his moral character? If you know anything about him, it's that he absolutely loves 3d and has gone through great lengths to enjoy it. To me that makes his review that much more meaningful.

That is right, there is a 3d phobia in this forum, with very bad vibrations whose strong curse transcends distances; these 3d haters I accuse of remotely accident-murdering my ex girlfriend through Ill will- just because I was being so openly pro 3D.

It is a high price to pay for trying to make the world a better place. That is why my post count is 10% of what it was before that event.

I'll just keep pushing 3-D forward in my own lab. Thank you very much, idiots.
CINERAMAX is offline  
post #51 of 92 Old 03-03-2012, 11:28 PM
Member
 
systox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

This thread has gotten ridiculous. I don't have to prove anything to you or anyone else by wasting my time posting pictures of boxes. This thread was never about my BD 3D collection (or where I got it from). It was about how great I thought Hugo was in relation to having seen 150+ 3D movies. I'm done posting in this thread and a mod can delete or lock it if they want.

I'm trying to give people early reviews so they can make an informed decision on weather to buy it or not. This thread has served it's purpose and now it's degenerated into a troll fast fueled by either jealousy or contempt. (I care not which)

this.

Next time don't feed the troll.
systox is offline  
post #52 of 92 Old 03-04-2012, 05:22 AM
Advanced Member
 
ferl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Illinois
Posts: 684
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

That is right, there is a 3d phobia in this forum, with very bad vibrations whose strong curse transcends distances; these 3d haters I accuse of remotely accident-murdering my ex girlfriend through Ill will- just because I was being so openly pro 3D.

It is a high price to pay for trying to make the world a better place. That is why my post count is 10% of what it was before that event.

I'll just keep pushing 3-D forward in my own lab. Thank you very much, idiots.

Since no one can stay on topic I'll throw in my two cents.
I dont see a 3D phobia. People on this forum generally enjoy 3D. That's why they are here. The division Is between depth and gimmicks.
As far as your post count, it could use a rest. That could be why she is your Ex-girlfriend. Blame that on your lab and not on the "haters".

When are people going to stop using the term "haters" for an an individual with an opposing view? I was curious about the term and found this accurate description:

"Usually used as a comeback at a person who expresses an opinion that the user of the phrase disagrees with and/or feel personally offended by, often for completely irrational reasons.

If it used in real life, it is often accompanied by that person strutting away as if they had just destroyed you with witty and rational arguments.

This phrase is rarely used by anybody above the age of 15 and with an IQ above 95.
Example 1:
Moron: The new Eminem album is soooo awesome.
Normal Person: I disagree...his older albums were way better.
Moron: Pffft...HATERS GONNA HATE!

Example 2:
Moron: My new shoes look awesome, don't you think?
Normal person: Meh...they're not really my taste.
Moron: Ah, whateva. Haters gonna hate (walks away as if she/he just said something extremely clever and original)"

ferl is offline  
post #53 of 92 Old 03-04-2012, 05:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
JOHNnDENVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Rain View Post

Time Warner Cable has HUGO in HD and they also
have the 3D version .


Anyone happen to know the quality of the 3D version on TWC ?

Thanks

One of the best I have seen PQ wise from Direct TV last night.

I found the plot to slow to develope for my liking, but I am goinmg to watch it again today. Some times, I feel different about a flck when I see it in a smaller crowd.

My theater was full up last night for our 1st screening. Many of us were sort of complaining about the slow developing plot though.
JOHNnDENVER is offline  
post #54 of 92 Old 03-04-2012, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Blue Rain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 1,552
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER View Post

One of the best I have seen PQ wise from Direct TV last night.

I found the plot to slow to develope for my liking, but I am goinmg to watch it again today. Some times, I feel different about a flck when I see it in a smaller crowd.

My theater was full up last night for our 1st screening. Many of us were sort of complaining about the slow developing plot though.

Thanks John for taking the time to reply in this mist of confusion going
on in this thread.

See My AVS Classified Ad .
Blue Rain is offline  
post #55 of 92 Old 03-04-2012, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Blue Rain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 1,552
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I could never understand why the 3D haters feel the need to enter
a Pro 3D thread and bash or complain about 3D and then proceed to harp on the peeps who enjoy it.

If you want to state why you don't like or enjoy 3D just start your own thread
and have a bitch fest and leave the pro 3D threads be....Same goes for the other side .

I had to wade thru all these posts and the bickering is out of hand !

Kind of reminds me of what many Atheist do...they go into a Pro
religion forum or thread and then proceed to bash religion and call the believers all kind of names.

Just let people be for crying out loud......Life is
too precious and short for these small things... Geeezz !

See My AVS Classified Ad .
Blue Rain is offline  
post #56 of 92 Old 03-04-2012, 04:01 PM
Gae
Member
 
Gae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by insman1132 View Post

Having been here to see the old days of 3D -- Bwana Don, House of Wax, Hondo, etc -- in the theatres back in the 1950's, it is a real treat to see the technology being used better and better by the truly qualified directors.

Hear, hear!!

Incidentally, it looks like 3D classics like House of Wax will get a Blu-ray 3D release later on in the year.

Sign up to be notified link at my blog....House of Wax and Dial M For Murder Blu-ray 3D

Gae
Gae is offline  
post #57 of 92 Old 03-07-2012, 05:07 AM
Member
 
insman1132's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is great news. Thanks Gae. Hopefully this is just the start and we'll get Hondo, etc also in the future.
insman1132 is offline  
post #58 of 92 Old 03-09-2012, 02:53 AM
Gae
Member
 
Gae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by insman1132 View Post

This is great news. Thanks Gae. Hopefully this is just the start and we'll get Hondo, etc also in the future.

If I can get my mits on just the Blu-ray 3D of House of Wax this year, I'll be a happy 3D bunny.

Gae
Gae is offline  
post #59 of 92 Old 03-09-2012, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
OzHDHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Antipodes aka Oz
Posts: 1,276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Hate to say, but I watched Hugo on my Sony VW1000 after having a few fellow owners already having commented that they liked the 3D in it but found the movie quite tedious. I thought the 3D good, but it didn't blow me away, esp considering how capable the proj itself is. I stopped the film a bit over an hour in as I couldn't handle the pace, it was just too slow and frankly too much a kids movie for me. I got a bigger kick out of the last totally new title for me, Harold and Kumar 3D. I loved the 'piss take' use of 3D in it. A 3D film that doesn't take itself seriously and has highly effective 3D scenes and effects.

I love the idea of having 150 different 3D titles. Even if I counted titles not on bluray, I'm struggling to imagine anyone amassing that many between film and TV 3D. I've got a heck of a lot across diff digital formats, but not even close to 150..

OzHDHT is offline  
post #60 of 92 Old 03-09-2012, 07:12 AM
Member
 
insman1132's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I didn't find anything about Hugo to be tedious, Oz, but as we all have different interests I certainly respect your thoughts and views. They certainly have validity. Such differences are what makes the world go around, aren't they?

Actually I felt the character studies, based on what you learn of the histories of the characters as the movie progresses, to be very fascinating. This is the kind of thing Martin does very well in many of his pictures. And I thought the acting to be excellent for each of the main characters.

That it was, of course, a fantasy piece, but referencing a real life silent film creator, using clips of many of his films (and those having been converted to 3D themselves, no less!), added to the aura of the film itself for me. (Anyone see Mike Todds "Around the World in 80 Days" that starred David Niven? If you will remember the man on the moon sequences shown in this movie also appeared in the opening narration sequence of Todd's outstanding movie.)

And, yes, I agree that kids would enjoy this film, for the most part. But I think, overall, my impression was that Martin really had aimed this at an audience of adults that love the progress of movies over the years and like to hark back to its roots from time to time.
insman1132 is offline  
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off