3D exclusives Shrek, Megamind ect. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 02-23-2012, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not sure if anyone has noticed yet but all the 3D exclusives except for Avatar are now avail for pre order from Walmart.com . I saw all the Shreks, Megamind, HTTYD,Monsters vs Aliens and will be shipping March 7th. I can't spend the extra money at the moment so leave me a copy of HTTYD . lol Seriously which is the Best ? I heard good things about HTTYD so that appears to be my first choice. Just thought everyone would like to know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-23-2012, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
My BB has has had all those (except Avatar) for sale individually for probably 2 months now.

In fact - I just got a $20 Reward Zone certificate in my email - think I'll go buy HTTYD over lunch!

~Bill
post #3 of 19 Old 02-23-2012, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

MY BB didn't have any last time I was there.. and now your jus being mean rubbing Httyd in my face. hahahahhahaha . Let me know how it is if you get it. I got their 3d aquarium last time I was there. nothing special but helped me fine tune my settings and relaxing to watch.
post #4 of 19 Old 02-23-2012, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKen View Post

My BB has has had all those (except Avatar) for sale individually for probably 2 months now.

In fact - I just got a $20 Reward Zone certificate in my email - think I'll go buy HTTYD over lunch!

They sure do, that where they were exclusive to!
post #5 of 19 Old 02-23-2012, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I've been using my BB bucks for 3D movies since I got my TV in late December. Didn't realize it was an exclusive thing . . .

We just watched HTTYD Sunday night. I really like the movie in general and the 3D wasn't bad.

------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 19 Old 02-23-2012, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post

I've been using my BB bucks for 3D movies since I got my TV in late December. Didn't realize it was an exclusive thing . . .

We just watched HTTYD Sunday night. I really like the movie in general and the 3D wasn't bad.

Same here - I assumed the "exclusive" thing was like the mail in rebate for Avatar if you buy a Panny 3d player - or the inclusion with a TV "kit" like BB did with the GT31 package and Avatar & 2 pairs of 3d glasses.

~Bill
post #7 of 19 Old 02-23-2012, 12:19 PM

Liked: 44
May I have a link please to WalMart/Best Buy offerring Shrek The Third on 3D Blu-ray - thanks
post #8 of 19 Old 02-23-2012, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Shrek+Th...hrek&lp=4&cp=1

Shrek The Third (2 Disc) (W/Dvd)- Blu-ray 3D

SKU: 3675135 | Release Date: 11/1/2011
Rating: PG

Customer Reviews: Be the first to write a review.

moviePrd:1675154

Shipping: Not available
Store Pickup:
Order today, pick up on:
  • MONACA PA - Pick up 02/23/2012
  • CRANBERRY PA - Pick up 02/23/2012
  • NO. HILLS VILLAGE PA - Unavailable

~Bill
post #9 of 19 Old 02-23-2012, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by paper112 View Post

Not sure if anyone has noticed yet but all the 3D exclusives except for Avatar are now avail for pre order from Walmart.com . I saw all the Shreks, Megamind, HTTYD,Monsters vs Aliens and will be shipping March 7th. I can't spend the extra money at the moment so leave me a copy of HTTYD . lol Seriously which is the Best ? I heard good things about HTTYD so that appears to be my first choice. Just thought everyone would like to know.

I own all of them and my order of preference would go like this:

MegaMind
Monsters vs. Aliens
How To Train Your Dragon
the Shreks

The Shrek movies left me cold; they're all well made (even the post-conversions of the earlier ones) but the subject matter wasn't my thing and the songs were off putting.

How to Train Your Dragon is a step above with some nice 3D and a more interesting story

Monsters vs. Aliens and MegaMind were the most enjoyable to me with humorous stories that were as accessible to adults as children, good 3D and more interesting characters.

Just my two cents.
post #10 of 19 Old 02-24-2012, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

and now your jus being mean rubbing Httyd in my face. hahahahhahaha . Let me know how it is if you get it. .

You mean like this:

Ummm. I have had these since November I think it was. From BB. The Shreks were there too I thought???

Cool Beans.
post #11 of 19 Old 02-24-2012, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Let me know how it is if you get it.

I got it yesterday and watched about half of it last night. I love the movie anyway - so I love it in 3D obviously.

The 3D is good and there's a decent amount of depth - but I haven't seen anything in the first half of the movie yet that has knocked my socks off.

I mainly bought it because it's one of those movies my boys both love - but we had only rented it. Figured I might was well own it and have a copy on DVD (came with both) for in our vehicles for longer trips.

~Bill
post #12 of 19 Old 02-25-2012, 05:18 AM

In my opinion all these 3D movies are better in fullscreen 1:78 not this horsecrap 2:39/40 black bars BS. I don't care how the director intended it(We the consumer pay them their check). After watching Puss in Boots in 3D, black bars included, I didn't have the same feeling as watching something like Avatar where you feel like you could step into the screen. Yeah, it was a cool 3D movie but the effect loses its effect when shrunk down between bars.

I have a 73" DLP and couldn't imagine watching these black bar 3D movies on a 54" VT25 that I use to have. Would definitely lose the 3D depth effect. I really wanted HTTYD in fullscreen as the flying scenes in fullscreen would totally blow us away. People whether they admit it or not, have to be losing this effect on smaller sets. They want 3d to take off but take away 1/3 or 1/4 of your screen depending on the set. boooooo.....

And before some knucklehead comes in here saying get a Cinema In Home system(or its the way the director intented), well, you are only 8% of the market, so no. Give the masses what they want and YOU do the conversion to 2:39 widescreen ratio for YOUR home projector. (obviously you have the money, equipment, and time to do this.)

FACT: If directors only had CIH people to sell their movies to, they would be broke period.

Cameron understood it with Avatar and whether the story sucks or not, mostly everyone with a 70"+ DLP TV will tell you its the best out of their collection because of the immersion feeling you get from fullscreen.

Cool Beans.
post #13 of 19 Old 02-25-2012, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRaven72 View Post

In my opinion all these 3D movies are better in fullscreen 1:78 not this horsecrap 2:39/40 black bars BS. I don't care how the director intended it(We the consumer pay them their check). After watching Puss in Boots in 3D, black bars included, I didn't have the same feeling as watching something like Avatar where you feel like you could step into the screen. Yeah, it was a cool 3D movie but the effect loses its effect when shrunk down between bars.

I have a 73" DLP and couldn't imagine watching these black bar 3D movies on a 54" VT25 that I use to have. Would definitely lose the 3D depth effect. I really wanted HTTYD in fullscreen as the flying scenes in fullscreen would totally blow us away. People whether they admit it or not, have to be losing this effect on smaller sets. They want 3d to take off but take away 1/3 or 1/4 of your screen depending on the set. boooooo.....

And before some knucklehead comes in here saying get a Cinema In Home system(or its the way the director intented), well, you are only 8% of the market, so no. Give the masses what they want and YOU do the conversion to 2:39 widescreen ratio for YOUR home projector. (obviously you have the money, equipment, and time to do this.)

FACT: If directors only had CIH people to sell their movies to, they would be broke period.

Cameron understood it with Avatar and whether the story sucks or not, mostly everyone with a 70"+ DLP TV will tell you its the best out of their collection because of the immersion feeling you get from fullscreen.

Yes, I can speak from experience about losing the immersiveness of 3D on my 55" screen when the movie is released in a 2:35 aspect ration. I usually zoom in on the image once. I know it cuts out a small portion of the picture but it makes it more involving and it also gets on my nerves the entire movie

But speaking from experience, I have said this same thing before and got flamed pretty bad for it. On this site with video and cinemaphiles you can espect them to only settle for OAR and nothing else. There are some, like me, who will agree though

This is the only reason I've been looking into getting a projector setup. For a more immersive 3D experience. But I, unlike a lot of people on this site, understand a limited budget and the fact that 90+% of people are watching 3D on a home tv screen not a projector. Hoping the prices really drop on the Optoma & Epson's in the coming months

As for them releasing these Dreamworks titles, it still makes since to buy one of the Samsung exclusive 4 Disc Shrek 3D collections rather than spend $20+ on each of the 4 titles. I have some for sale in the Classifieds here on AVS if anyone is interested. But as for the HTTYD and Monsters I will be picking those up

post #14 of 19 Old 02-25-2012, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I picked up Puss In Boots today; the main feature is letterboxed while the Three Diablos short is full screen 3D (1.78:1). Watching the two back to back really shows how much more immersive full-frame presentations are as the extra screen real estate really pulls you in to the show.
post #15 of 19 Old 02-25-2012, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRaven72 View Post

You mean like this:

Ummm. I have had these since November I think it was. From BB. The Shreks were there too I thought???

Now see, thats not nice. Well I have a 3d fish tank..so there!!!! I could watch fish in 3d..hahaha. I actually saw megamind in theaters with the kids. I wasnt too impressed, but I did see it at Imax , now I may be the only one but I think real D is alot better, Imax has the curved screen and it seems that the 2 movies I saw there were blurry except in the middle of the screen. So ill prob grab Httyd on tues.
post #16 of 19 Old 02-26-2012, 06:39 AM

Quote:

Now see, thats not nice. Well I have a 3d fish tank..so there!!!! I could watch fish in 3d..hahaha.

Me too!!

Gamermwm and TonyDP:

I noticed that too about this place being all about the widescreen. Problem is, they are in the minority as most households are TV sets and the minority shouldn't have the majority pull. Its exactly like 1 kid in a school having a Peanut Allergy and the whole school has to suffer because of one child. (not being able to bring a PB&J sandwich.)

For a compromise though, the Studios should knock off this COMBO PAK crap. I am buying the Blu-ray for the blu-ray 3d not the damn DVD+Digital Copy. What the projection people and ourselves should be fighting for is giving both Full Screen copy and Widescreen instead of these DVD+Digital copy. Another thing I am noticing is these 3D movies have both non-3d and 3d on the same disc! Why do I need two copies of the blu-ray then???? Studios could use the money they are wasting on these to do the full screen conversion and give the OAR crowd what they want. As a consumer, we shouldn't be FORCED either way.

Cool Beans.
post #17 of 19 Old 02-26-2012, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I love combo packs. It's great when you have kids and vehicles with DVD systems in them.

I would like to see all 3D movies being full screen though.

~Bill
post #18 of 19 Old 02-28-2012, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Im personally sick of the combo packs. Along with the Digital copy now walmart is sticking in vudu downloads of the same movie. It is a nice feature but why? They can bring the cost to us down if they just sold 3d BD. With the cost down they would def push more 3D, so many people I know say I'm crazy for spending extra money and they never would. Even the video store by my house said they are to expensive to put on there shelves for the demand.
post #19 of 19 Old 02-29-2012, 12:22 AM

Quote:

Im personally sick of the combo packs. Along with the Digital copy now walmart is sticking in vudu downloads of the same movie. It is a nice feature but why? They can bring the cost to us down if they just sold 3d BD.

If only that we're true! I live in Australia. Most of the 3D blu rays I purchase in Australia are sold with just the 3D and 2D blu ray versions, yet cost considerably more than what you pay in the USA. Three Musketeers for example costs $39.99 for the 3D blu ray and only has the 3D and 2d blu ray versions. I should also mention that the 3D movies that also come with 2D BR, DVD & Digital Copy tend to be the same price - for example Tin Tin pre-order is is $39.99 and contains the 4 versions previously mentioned. This is only two examples! There are plenty others.

I think it is safe to say that it does not really matter if it is standalone 3D BR or not - the price will not change. You will notice the same with movies in the UK also. Just my 2 cents worth.
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page