Star Wars 3D - Panny Exclusive? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 02-23-2012, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just read this on Engadget. Supposedly Ep 1 will be out this spring and be a Panasonic exclusive replacing Avatar.

Not sure what to think. I don't get Ep 1 even though I have a vt25, exclusives are still going around being lame, or that avatar is coming to main stream (even though I have a copy).

Here's the link:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/23/s...pring/?m=false
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 02-23-2012, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Just thought that maybe they'll bundle it with the 3rd gen glasses like they did avy and 2nd gen glasses. That wouldn't be so bad. I need some of those. Heard their awesome, best out there.
post #3 of 26 Old 02-23-2012, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
the 2012 3d glasses wont work on the ealier tvs. I would highly recommend the 3rd generation from last year. they are awesome.

Jacob
post #4 of 26 Old 02-23-2012, 10:23 PM

Liked: 18
so glad I got avatar from buying by blu ray player and now ep. 1. I probably would have bought a samsung if that's what was offered at the time.
post #5 of 26 Old 02-24-2012, 05:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejunkie View Post

I just read this on Engadget. Supposedly Ep 1 will be out this spring and be a Panasonic exclusive replacing Avatar.

Not sure what to think.

Let them have all the converted exclusives they want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makinbiscuits View Post

so glad I got avatar from buying by blu ray player and now ep. 1. I probably would have bought a samsung if that's what was offered at the time.

Was Avatar the deal breaker? I never thought the exclusive theory actually would work.

post #6 of 26 Old 02-24-2012, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 45
When people see just how poor the Episode I conversion is they're liable to want to return the TV. This was probably the most disappointing post conversion I've yet seen.
post #7 of 26 Old 02-24-2012, 11:11 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferl View Post

Was Avatar the deal breaker? I never thought the exclusive theory actually would work.

absolutely. All the 3d bluray players (for the features I was looking for) were around the same price during the holidays and one didn't offer any feature over the other that would have been a deal breaker so to me the one with the free avatar 3D was the deal breaker.
post #8 of 26 Old 02-24-2012, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

absolutely. All the 3d bluray players (for the features I was looking for) were around the same price during the holidays and one didn't offer any feature over the other that would have been a deal breaker so to me the one with the free avatar 3D was the deal breaker.

Back in 2010 exclusives made more since, now I wish they would do away with exclusives. I don't have a problem with offering a free bundled in movie, not offering the title at retail does more harm to 3d then good. I seen episode 1, the 3d is nothing to get excited about. I believe if someone went and got a 3d tv + Episode 1 3d they would be like 3d meh..
post #9 of 26 Old 02-24-2012, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 View Post

the 2012 3d glasses wont work on the ealier tvs. I would highly recommend the 3rd generation from last year. they are awesome.

Jacob

There is only one 3rd gen. They came out late 2011. The new glasses for the vt50 etc aren't available yet and when they are they will be 4th gen.
post #10 of 26 Old 02-24-2012, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

When people see just how poor the Episode I conversion is they're liable to want to return the TV. This was probably the most disappointing post conversion I've yet seen.

Your opinion is greatly in the minority. The conversion was top notch.
post #11 of 26 Old 02-24-2012, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I doubt they will extend this offer to past purchases like they did with avatar. It will most likely be new products or in a glasses bundle. Fingers crossed though.
post #12 of 26 Old 02-25-2012, 10:59 PM
cwt
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejunkie View Post

Your opinion is greatly in the minority. The conversion was top notch.

Thats interesting ; doesnt sway me one way or the other as I got a free 2d star wars boxset with my epson 9000 projector Tony dp and gagit811 make a lot of sense to me ;can only do so much when the camera's are 2d and things are shot with 2d in mind

http://screenrant.com/star-wars-phan...s-benk-150394/

Hope this is fairly accurate about avatar ;few days to go

http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-ent...nic-until-2012
post #13 of 26 Old 02-27-2012, 04:18 PM

Liked: 14
Well mine copy of Avatar 3D came today...3 weeks after sending the coupon in and no-way is it going anywhere.
post #14 of 26 Old 02-27-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:

I heard and read mixed reviews but face it; there's only so much new technology can do for a 30+ year old film especially 3D. There are some things especially some films better left alone when it comes to 2D to 3D.
post #15 of 26 Old 02-27-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR.DTS View Post

I heard and read mixed reviews but face it; there's only so much new technology can do for a 30+ year old film especially 3D. There are some things especially some films better left alone when it comes to 2D to 3D.

episode 1 was made in 99 i believe.. but point taken
post #16 of 26 Old 02-27-2012, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR.DTS View Post

Absolutely, there is only so much you can do with a movie that old that was not even designed for 3D in the first place. But having said that, I just think Lucas' focus for the conversion was in the wrong place. Lucas has stated on multiple occasions that he's not into pop-out effects but rather prefers to use 3D to help focus characters during dialog and he definitely does achieve that in Episode one as the scenes of actors speaking to each other do show some level of depth and separation between them. My problem is that he didn't apparently spend nearly any time applying that sense of depth to any of the larger scenes from the movies. The pod race and final battle at the end exhibited almost no sense of depth at at; neither did any of the outer space flybys. Quite frankly the 2D>3D conversion on my TV does better job with space scenes than what Lucas got out of this conversion. So, while I understand that there is only so much you can get out of a 13 year old movie, I also think Lucas focused on the wrong areas for this conversion and that is really my main gripe and the reason I think offering this as an exclusive will backfire. People expecting to see spaceships and lightsabers flying out of their TV will be really surprised and let down.
post #17 of 26 Old 04-28-2012, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Anyone heard anything about when Panny might start this exclusive? We're coming up on three months since this hit theaters.
post #18 of 26 Old 04-28-2012, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Lucas has stated on multiple occasions that he's not into pop-out effects but rather prefers to use 3D to help focus characters during dialog....

Pffft!!!!!!!!!!!! Really? Wow! I hope all of you to use a youtube video downloader and download one of my 3D videos configured on a 46" screen and convert the video to an .avi and then play it on your 3DTV. Or if it won't do 3D while playing a video like mine, hop in to a store and play it on an Samsung ES800, HX850 or other newish 3DTV, which will play them. Then, bohold the amount of depth your tv and your brain are capable of, then join me in a laugh [and a little crying] at the current ridiculous use of 3D.
post #19 of 26 Old 04-28-2012, 04:36 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tory40 View Post

Pffft!!!!!!!!!!!! Really? Wow! I hope all of you to use a youtube video downloader and download one of my 3D videos configured on a 46" screen and convert the video to an .avi and then play it on your 3DTV. Or if it won't do 3D while playing a video like mine, hop in to a store and play it on an Samsung ES800, HX850 or other newish 3DTV, which will play them. Then, bohold the amount of depth your tv and your brain are capable of, then join me in a laugh [and a little crying] at the current ridiculous use of 3D.

I totally understand that for comfortability and disassociation with anaglyph 3d popout is considered gimmicky and is being used as sparingly as possible. Problem im having is that the directors that have been fortunate enough to actually use 3d cameras seem to not know how to use pop out even when it makes sense. I love the depth in stereoscopic 3d but don't tease me. If you have a shot that looks like it should hit me in the face then hit me in the face dont shift the camera and have me follow it to the victim. This happes all the time recently.
post #20 of 26 Old 04-29-2012, 07:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 87
Quote:

Have to agree. This ws the worst "3D" movie I have seen so far. There were so many times I could just watch it without wearing the glasses. Maybe they can improve the Blu ray 3D somehow but this is one I won't pursue.

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #21 of 26 Old 04-30-2012, 06:19 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Have to agree. This ws the worst "3D" movie I have seen so far. There were so many times I could just watch it without wearing the glasses. Maybe they can improve the Blu ray 3D somehow but this is one I won't pursue.

agreed. horrible 3D. I thought it might have been the theater I was at, but now I know it was just the movie itself.
post #22 of 26 Old 04-02-2013, 11:54 PM

I wanted a lot more depth on the pod race scene especially. Still waiting for the 3D Blu ray.

post #23 of 26 Old 04-22-2013, 05:44 PM

I actually worked on the conversion of this film, we all wanted it to have more depth but the "clients" wanted to keep it very subtle. I hear they are pushing the depth further on the others. Just because the depth wasn't what we wanted doesn't mean the conversion was done poorly. I do feel that we should've spent a bit more time on it and the creative choices could've been different.
post #24 of 26 Old 04-22-2013, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdude View Post

I actually worked on the conversion of this film, we all wanted it to have more depth but the "clients" wanted to keep it very subtle. I hear they are pushing the depth further on the others. Just because the depth wasn't what we wanted doesn't mean the conversion was done poorly. I do feel that we should've spent a bit more time on it and the creative choices could've been different.

I thought all 3D conversions after TPM was scrapped due to the Disney acquisition and announcement of Episode VII and beyond. Source: https://www.google.com/search?q=star+wars+3d+scrapped&aq=f&oq=star+wars+3d+scrapped&aqs=chrome.0.57l2j64&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
post #25 of 26 Old 04-23-2013, 04:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 59
I too remember hearing that they wanted to increase the depth in the next two prequel 3D conversions.

But that was before the Disney acquisition, which complicates things legally/financially. Makes sense. As a 3D enthusiast, I'm much more interested in seeing episode VII shot in native 3D (as is my hope) than rewatching an episode II conversion.

Can't wait to see Patton Oswalt's Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Chewbacca robot
in 3D! Not too sure about the inclusion of Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Thanos and X-Men,
but I suppose they can hash that out in some lead up movies like they did with The Avengers.
post #26 of 26 Old 05-09-2013, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah, Why was there no 3D Bluray release? Its been a year and a half almost....

Flan's Theater!

Xbox Gamertag: Darth Flan
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page