List your 3d movies by quality - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 45 Old 04-06-2012, 05:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The latest one to impress me is Final Destination 5....not everyones taste because of the gore galore but truely impressive with its 3D rendering, blood spurting out of the screen, impalement and eye balls literally popping out, also decent albeit formulaic plot line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 04-07-2012, 01:43 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by desrtmod View Post

The latest one to impress me is Final Destination 5....not everyones taste because of the gore galore but truely impressive with its 3D rendering, blood spurting out of the screen, impalement and eye balls literally popping out, also decent albeit formulaic plot line.

is FD5 the one that starts at the race track?
post #33 of 45 Old 04-07-2012, 12:11 PM

No that's fd4
post #34 of 45 Old 04-07-2012, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 164
The Masters is looking awfully good this afternoon in 3D

Hear me now, Listen to me later....
post #35 of 45 Old 04-07-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaket81 View Post

I just recently got a 3D tv and am looking to buy a 3D blu ray. I really don't want to buy more than 1 for now. Is there a best one, if you had to pick only one, forever, which would it be? I saw a couple where people say there was too much pop out, there is no such thing to me, so whatever has the most pop out is what i'm looking for. I like depth, but it isn't nearly as important to me as pop out/coming at you stuff. Avatar, toy story 3 and transformers 3 are not an option for me because I already own the regular blu ray of those. Thanks!

While I think the 3D in Sammy's is great too as already mentioned in this thread, IMHO there's nothing I've seen yet that pop's out like the Grouper (they call it a potato cod in the movie/documentary), angle fish, sting rays and jelly fish in Imax Under the Sea narrated by Jim Carrey. BTW it's cheap on the net IIRC I paid around $18.00 (I just checked and amazon raised their price $30, so wait for a sale). Although I saw it in costco the other day around $19.00 which isn't bad IMO. The grouper swims out of the screen withing touching range from where you sit and if you pause the movie it sits there clear/sharp with great detail. Very impressive to see!
post #36 of 45 Old 04-08-2012, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walk_Good View Post

While I think the 3D in Sammy's is great too as already mentioned in this thread, IMHO there's nothing I've seen yet that pop's out like the Grouper (they call it a potato cod in the movie/documentary), angle fish, sting rays and jelly fish in Imax Under the Sea narrated by Jim Carrey. BTW it's cheap on the net IIRC I paid around $18.00 (I just checked and amazon raised their price $30, so wait for a sale). Although I saw it in costco the other day around $19.00 which isn't bad IMO. The grouper swims out of the screen withing touching range from where you sit and if you pause the movie it sits there clear/sharp with great detail. Very impressive to see!

The grouper is really awesome but the scene lasts for about 5 seconds. It does look quite good freeze framed.
post #37 of 45 Old 04-10-2012, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post

The grouper is really awesome but the scene lasts for about 5 seconds. It does look quite good freeze framed.

I agree that it's too short but most pop out effects on movies are short. It is still the best outward projection of all the 3D movies I've seen. Similarly the snake in Sammy's Adventure is a very short scene, although it also pops out very far and pauses very clear too.

I haven't seen the whole Imax Under the Sea movie in a while but there's plenty other great scenes like I mentioned above and that's not including the very good use of depth they use. The angle fish a little bit before the grouper scene is equally impressive and the school appears to swim almost as far as the grouper, again it's not too long either but very well done. I could mention more but like I said, I haven't seen the whole movie in a while and I did mention some in my other post.
post #38 of 45 Old 04-10-2012, 07:51 AM

I watched Ultimate wave Tahiti and legends of flight last night on cable, they both have a fair amount of pop-out. One part in ultimate wave there was a school of fish that the majority of was out of the screen. The one i really want to see is imax under the sea, but it's too expensive for my taste. I saw hugo too, the 3D in that is pretty impressive.
post #39 of 45 Old 04-11-2012, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I think most people (me included) love the solar system scene in Ultimate Wave Tahiti
post #40 of 45 Old 04-11-2012, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickydisco View Post

Agreed. By far the most aggressive 3d out there. Ordered from yesasia,com. Took about 2 weeks to get to me.

do you need a region free br player ? how were your able to play it ?
post #41 of 45 Old 04-11-2012, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside View Post

do you need a region free br player ? how were your able to play it ?

No region free player needed if you order from DDDHouse.com or yesasia,com it's coming from HK and they are region A like the USA. I ordered mine from http://dddhouse.com/v3/product_detai...roductID=12014 all you do is change the language to English at the start and your set.
post #42 of 45 Old 12-06-2012, 05:21 PM

For 3D movies collectors, here is an interesting site :www.3dmovieslist.net
post #43 of 45 Old 12-06-2012, 07:02 PM

Liked: 12
I have some 3D 2.40 OAR movies that may be better overall, but from strictly a 3D bigscreen EXPERIENCE, I have a bias for my fullscreen 1.81 OAR movies smile.gif. Immortals, Wrath of the Titans, Avengers...

The 2.40 movies with the borders and smaller picture can be pretty cool, but they're NOTHING compared to 1.81 picture that fills my entire 55" screen.

In the Avengers, the part where the first huge alien carrier ship comes out the portal and the camera is positioned under its underbelly as it flies forward...the alien hovercrafts flying out the screen...in Wrath of the Titans, when the giant molten lava god appears and flings lava around and slams its fist into the ground...in Immortals, when the gods fight the titans, and the bodies being torn apart...it just wouldnt have the same awesome effect with that letterbox picture!

Theres some I may like, like Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter, and the 2.40 doesnt stop me from enjoying it. But enjoy those giant, in-your-face 1.81's! I have re-sizing options on my TV and Blu Ray, and I've tried to "stretch" the 2 40's picture vertically, but I cant do it without chopping some of the picture off smile.gif. I'll mess with the configurations some more until I find a size that works. I'll have to, because 2.40 OAR releases are beating the 1.81's 10 to 1 biggrin.gif! These studios just dont realize, 2.40 is good in the theater but stinks at home biggrin.gif!
post #44 of 45 Old 03-15-2013, 06:53 PM

3D, first lets mention head aches and eye fatigue. you have to set your adjustments to what is correct for your eyes, then you will not get the head aches and eye fatigue. I have watched 3D for hours and hours, no head aches, no eye fatigue. no problems. here is why.
when I watched my first 3D movie, I had eye fatigue fairly quick and a light head ache, I thought crap, 3D and cannot use it. then I decided to freeze the picture in 3D, on a good 3D scene, best ones are with water, glass and small moving objects. so I did the one with water from the movie IRobot, I then did my adjustments, found that brightness of medium my eyes liked the best, on 3D depth, when I went more positive the picture was too close to me, more up on me. when I went more negative, the picture looks further back into the wall. negative four looked the best for me at the distance I am from the screen, so that is what I went with. now I have been able to watch 3D movies with no eye fatigue, no head aches, one day, watched four of them, one right after the other, no problem.

next 2D or 3D, anyone that says they prefer 2D, they have not compared a 2D and 3D with a properly set up for them projector. I had a friend come over that said 2D and how Great the picture was and how 3D was not needed, then he watched Top Gun in 2D and then we watched it in 3D. within five minutes of the 3D movie, he said ok, your correct, 3D is better. in 2D, the things in the back ground, your mind does not pick up on them as quickly and easily as it does in 3D. in 3D the items further back are still a part of the picture, in 2D, those items are meaningless, your mind skips right over them.
sure they might not be of any importance, but they are there and when added to the picture, it makes for a better viewing experience.
so 3D is not all about things jumping out of the screen, its about being able to see more items and a more real viewing experience.
a bullet going thru the air looks a lot different in 3D, then in 2D, in 3D, being under water looks like your under water, in 2D, sure, I know the idea, but it does not look anywhere remotely close to the realism of 3D.
post #45 of 45 Old 03-17-2013, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreHD View Post

I have some 3D 2.40 OAR movies that may be better overall, but from strictly a 3D bigscreen EXPERIENCE, I have a bias for my fullscreen 1.81 OAR movies smile.gif. Immortals, Wrath of the Titans, Avengers...

Theres some I may like, like Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter, and the 2.40 doesnt stop me from enjoying it. But enjoy those giant, in-your-face 1.81's! I have re-sizing options on my TV and Blu Ray, and I've tried to "stretch" the 2 40's picture vertically, but I cant do it without chopping some of the picture off smile.gif. I'll mess with the configurations some more until I find a size that works. I'll have to, because 2.40 OAR releases are beating the 1.81's 10 to 1 biggrin.gif! These studios just dont realize, 2.40 is good in the theater but stinks at home biggrin.gif!

Just as you don't like losing picture information when you re-size, most of us don't like losing picture info when the studio does it. My screen size is a bit smaller than yours, and I still would never want a 2:40 movie in a 16X9 format...ever. For widescreen movies, just do what I do...sit closer!

Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page