The Lorax in IMAX 3D - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 03-03-2012, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Took the boys to see Lorax today in IMAX 3D. It was great. Really nice picture and I was amazed how much depth there is on the big screen. Never saw a 3D movie in a theatre until today and now I'm hooked!

It's a definite must buy for me when it comes to blu-ray 3D.

The MIB 3D trailer looked great too.

~Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-12-2012, 07:12 AM

Liked: 10
I should of watch this with the family =\\. I chose John carter in 3D over this!! Just a heads up if your gonna watch John Carter, watch it in 2D! Did lorax have any pop scenes? My daughter love that lol
post #3 of 13 Old 03-12-2012, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Lorax cleaned up at the box office also. I had no desire to see this when I heard about it months ago. It didn't look interesting. I might change my mind and go now.
post #4 of 13 Old 03-12-2012, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypesos05 View Post

I should of watch this with the family =\\. I chose John carter in 3D over this!! Just a heads up if your gonna watch John Carter, watch it in 2D! Did lorax have any pop scenes? My daughter love that lol

Yes there were a few pop outs - which looked pretty good in Imax 3D to me. Like I said before - it's the first 3D I've ever seen in a theater (yes I live under a rock) - but it impressed me nonetheless.

~Bill
post #5 of 13 Old 03-12-2012, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
I'll have to admit that I had no intentions to ever see this movie, until the girlfriend wanted to go, so I went. Very good movie in my opinion, glad I went to see it now.
post #6 of 13 Old 08-14-2012, 05:43 AM

picked up the 3D blu day one release, and i gotta say the 3D is reference quality

i know this has nothing to do with the imax 3D, but i didnt see any other thjread for 3D lorax.

decent movie, a little preachy, but my daughter loves it, and like i already stated thought the 3D was reference quality
post #7 of 13 Old 08-14-2012, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I got this myself over the weekend. The 3D is well done and the art style is such that ghosting really isn't an issue on any display type, even older plasmas. However, there really aren't any "wow" moments that I recall. Even the various chases thru Thneedville seem tame and don't really take advantage of the format.

In terms of the film itself, the little ones will love it but I was disappointed. I enjoyed the old Dr. Seuss story but here the Lorax is practically an afterthought, often reduced to comedy relief and probably off screen for half or more of the film's running time. The movie also has a few too many musical numbers for my tastes (it pretty much IS a musical) and the happy ending feels forced and insincere; a classic case of Hollywood just burying the message for the sake of sales and turning what was a fairly dark cautionary tale into a run of the mill feel good song fest (complete with obligatory Betty White performance).

Unless you have really young children, I'd probably call this a rent rather than a buy.
post #8 of 13 Old 08-15-2012, 07:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I bought the 3D box and watched it last weekend. The technical 3D was very good. I have no complaints. My young grandson doesn't like active shutter glasses but is OK with passive. He is just 3 years old. So he won't see this in 3D. I will give the 2D disk to my daughter for her collection.

Personally, wife and I thought the story was boring and as we're not much into the whole tree hugging scene, felt it was pretty heavy hitting in the propaganda agenda. But having said that I don't disagree with the science politicized in the details. It seemed accurate based on my knowledge of the subject. But overall, the presentation was bright, high quality, no parallax issues and excellent sound mix. If the story was more interesting, I'd give it an A. But since to us, story is most important, it gets a D+ and I would say I am sorry I spent the money on it.
post #9 of 13 Old 08-15-2012, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

I bought the 3D box and watched it last weekend. The technical 3D was very good. I have no complaints. My young grandson doesn't like active shutter glasses but is OK with passive. He is just 3 years old. So he won't see this in 3D. I will give the 2D disk to my daughter for her collection.
Personally, wife and I thought the story was boring and as we're not much into the whole tree hugging scene, felt it was pretty heavy hitting in the propaganda agenda. But having said that I don't disagree with the science politicized in the details. It seemed accurate based on my knowledge of the subject. But overall, the presentation was bright, high quality, no parallax issues and excellent sound mix. If the story was more interesting, I'd give it an A. But since to us, story is most important, it gets a D+ and I would say I am sorry I spent the money on it.

What really gets me is the heavily politicalized propaganda about the earth being round. I can clearly tell the earth is flat by looking out my window and I don't need scientists with their own agenda trying to convince me otherwise with their outrageous theories about planets being round. Then there's that other lie that the earth actually circles the sun BS, or that the earth is four billion years old when everyone with a modicum of common sense knows that the sun revolves around our home town and that this planet is about 4 thousand years old and only took six days to make. What the hell is going on here? Who the hell do these scientists think they are? biggrin.gif
post #10 of 13 Old 08-15-2012, 08:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Deja Vu- I heard a rumor they put you on the endangered species list. biggrin.gif
post #11 of 13 Old 08-19-2012, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Haha good post déjà-vu!
post #12 of 13 Old 08-23-2012, 02:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
This was a pretty funny and goofy movie. I really enjoyed it on my LG and the 3D was great as well.cool.gif

3D items I own:

Sony 46" LX900 active 3D set

Sony HMZ-T3 (Cushion pads and light blocker mod)

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Sony BDP-S570 BD3D player

JVC-GS-TD1 (with Cyclopital base extender)

Fujifilm W3

Sony Alpha 55 (for 3D panoramic photos)

Quadcopter + Zenmuse and GoPro Hero 3 (Filming...

post #13 of 13 Old 08-23-2012, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My kids like this movie at the theater a lot but they are too little for 3D. I actually liked it too! Anyone have an UV code they will give/sell to me?
Reply 3D Content

Tags
Dr Seuss The Lorax Combo Pack Two Discs Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Blu Ray Movies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page