Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 65 Old 03-22-2012, 12:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tory40 View Post

I'm asking which converted movie or scene you know of looks as good as a genuine 3D movie? Or scene.

I believe I answered this in my previous post.

Quote:

I totally disagree btw, if Avatar had been done using 3D conversion, it would have looked like ass, or i'll compromise, one ass cheek!

This isn't an issue to 'agree' or 'disagree' over. Avatar had converted sequences. They were so well done that you couldn't tell the difference. It is a very common practice for directors to shoot as much as native as possible and then convert the shots that they couldn't get with 3D cameras or the shots that they screwed up and need to be fixed with conversion. When teams are tasked with converting the whole movie, it is a little more difficult to maintain the same quality level as there is so much more footage, and they have to get it done in a certain time frame.

Quote:

Even Avatar required tiny amounts of stereo conversion, for example the opening macro eyeball shot was far too close for a stereo camera rig to film, and this first shot of the film was converted stereo from 2D.

http://www.fxguide.com/featured/art-...sion-2d-to-3d/

Quote:

2D-to-3D conversion was even used in that pinnacle of 3D cinema, Avatar. Prime Focus did several shots for the movie, a fact not widely known. “A couple times the best way to incorporate the composite was to convert part of the image,” Hummel reveals. “On an occasion or two with the original photography, there was a problem, like one lens was closer than the other, so rather than resizing the image, it was easier to convert one of the images to match the stereoscopic imagery. However, it was always done in service of the visual effects and under the guidance of the Avatar creative team.”

http://www.filmjournal.com/filmjourn...7f7c73775e76bb

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 65 Old 03-22-2012, 04:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange11 View Post

I believe I answered this in my previous post.

This isn't an issue to 'agree' or 'disagree' over. Avatar had converted sequences. They were so well done that you couldn't tell the difference.

You say Avatar had converted sequences, yet you don't know which ones they are, which assumes you think the whole Avatar movie looked very good, [correct me if im wrong]. However for me, the whole Avatar movie had pretty shallow depth, as well as most other genuine 3D films compared to what im used to, so your statement about Avatar doesn't really have much meaning to me. I haven't seen the movie you reference, except for the Titanic trailer, which i thought was horrible 3D wise on my 46". John Carter has distant scene elements which were wider than my eyes, causing them to divergence slightly (a good thing in my experience), the first time i've seen that much separation in a movie, and yet those scenes still didn't have much appreciable depth compared to genuine 3D. I hardly saw a scene in Star Wars that had an any amount of depth, John Carter was much better, but thats not saying much.
post #33 of 65 Old 03-22-2012, 08:39 AM

Liked: 10
I saw John Carter the Friday it came out despite the poor critical reviews. I was pleasantly surprised by the movie story line. I had never read the books so I had no preconception as to what it was about, other than having seen the trailer a few weeks before. Movie rating: 7.5 out of 10.

The theater I went to showed the movie in Dolby 3D using a digital projector rather than film. This is the first time I had seen 3D in a theater on any 3D system other than Real 3D. There were no popout scenes, which did not bother me in the least. The added depth provided by the 3D was good and added to the overall movie going experience. This was one of the better 3D movie going experiences. 3D rating: 7 out of 10.

I do not know if I will purchase a copy when it becomes available, however; I definitely would like to see it again in 3D.
post #34 of 65 Old 03-22-2012, 09:36 AM

The amount of parallax used or how deep the image recedes is an artistic choice and has nothing to do with whether the film is a conversion or native (other than the fact that more parallax means that the conversion artists have to work on the scene longer to fill in the extra space, which is one reason why rush jobs like Clash of the Titans look very flat). Much to my disappointment as well, the low amount of parallax found in Star Wars: Ep. I (not a rush job) was also an artistic choice made by George Lucas and John Knoll, the conversion supervisor, to reduce eye strain (Interview source). Native films often use reduced parallax too (much of Tron: Legacy, Pirates 4, anything Pixar). When evaluating a non-rush job conversion with acceptable parallax, you should mainly be looking for depth errors.

Most of the examples on my list were select converted scenes found within native 3D movies. The main point is that those converted sequences blended so well with the rest of the native footage that non-trained audiences couldn't tell the difference. They matched the amount of parallax used in the native footage and provided the exact same sense of dimensionality as the rest of the film. The converted 3D quality matched the native 3D quality because the artists did a good job.
post #35 of 65 Old 03-22-2012, 11:14 PM

Quote:

Avatar has converted scenes though I'm not sure which ones.

The majority of Transformers: Dark of the Moon's converted sequences, which is about 50% of the movie.

Hugo has some nice converted sequences of old films.

The car chase scene in Underworld: Awakening was converted.

The opening rainy street scene with all the umbrellas in John Carter.

The horse and carriage chase scene and some underwater scenes in Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides.

The trailer for James Cameron's conversion of Titanic.

I hear Shrek, Shrek 2, and Shrek the Third are excellent conversions.

Then, of course, most of the above could have looked even better if they were planned and framed by someone with an eye for depth like Martin Scorsese before shooting.

Avatar doesn't have one converted shot. Not one. I worked on it.
post #36 of 65 Old 03-23-2012, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnpod View Post

Rob Hummel, CEO of Prime Focus Post Production North America, said differently in this interview that I posted earlier.

Quote:

2D-to-3D conversion was even used in that pinnacle of 3D cinema, Avatar. Prime Focus did several shots for the movie, a fact not widely known. A couple times the best way to incorporate the composite was to convert part of the image, Hummel reveals. On an occasion or two with the original photography, there was a problem, like one lens was closer than the other, so rather than resizing the image, it was easier to convert one of the images to match the stereoscopic imagery. However, it was always done in service of the visual effects and under the guidance of the Avatar creative team.

http://www.filmjournal.com/filmjourn...7f7c73775e76bb

post #37 of 65 Old 03-23-2012, 12:24 AM

Here's another.

Quote:

For most, the jury is still out on whether or not 3-D conversion can live up to actual 3-D filming.

Proving that it might in fact be possible is Avatar, in which 40 shots were actually Prime Focus 3-D conversions of what originally had to be shot in 2-D, according to Hummel.

No one noticed because they fit in seamlessly, Hummel says.

Though a firm believer that his technology is the real future of 3-D filmmaking, Pace says to not rule out the process of conversion.

Given the right attention from the artist and the right amount of time to do it right, I believe the resulting product will certainly validate the process, Pace says.

Backing that sentiment is Cameron, who recently told USA Today, in a Q&A sit down, that he is not against the conversion process if done properly. In that same Q&A, Cameron mentioned how he plans to convert Titanic into 3-D, but is giving himself two years for the task by aiming for a spring 2012 re-release date.

Whether the recent frenzy for 3-D movies fades, as it has in the past, or permanently cements itself into the entertainment industry, Pace feels that modern 3-D technology is a key ingredient to Hollywood's success.

I often feel like if we compared entertainment to cooking, the ingredient I believe Cameron and I have brought to the recipe is salt, Pace says. When used properly, it enhances the flavor in such a way it is hardly noticeable as an ingredient. When used improperly, no matter how good the main ingredient is: filet mignon, lobster, etc., the customer walks away with a bad experience.

http://www.unrinsight.com/the-two-dimensions-of-3-d/

post #38 of 65 Old 03-23-2012, 01:38 AM
Advanced Member

Just please back your statement up or modify it, lets not carry on 5 pages with nonsense.

Quote:

An intelligently shot conversion can look just as nice as an intelligently shot native film if the artists do a good job.

So which full conversion film [that you've seen] looked just as good as a native?

The fact is in a native 3D film, a military character with magazines and other stuff on his vest will properly have all that stuff visually differentiated on the third axis. In a conversion, this doesn't happen and thats a serious understatement... The magazines and other things will appear on the same plane. Whole scenes appear on ruffly the same plane! The best scenes don't even look 3D to me and I purposely sit far back to get more depth. So your statement is extremely misleading. If its just your opinion that they are just as worthwhile, well, thats fine.
post #39 of 65 Old 03-23-2012, 01:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnpod View Post

What do you think the chances are of film makers using a series of mirrors to produce 2 different versions of 3D movies. One for theater sized screens and perhaps home screens for small children (Pixar movies) with their smaller interocular distances. The second for home sized screens with movies meant for adults with 6.5in interocular distances.
post #40 of 65 Old 03-26-2012, 02:42 PM

Finally saw John Carter. Decent movie, I give it three stars. I had recently read the book and I must say the movie was way different from the more simple yet more entertaining chain of events that occur in the book. I feel If they stuck to the book more then the movie would've been much better. A lot was changed from the book and I'm surprised ERB fans didn't make this more of an issue. I wonder sometimes how these directors get away with changing what was originally so great and getting financial support despite these drastic changes.
post #41 of 65 Old 03-30-2012, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
I just got back from a Disney cruise, and the theater onboard the ship was showing John Carter in Dolby 3D. The last night of the cruise I went to check it out, but I was so exhausted that I had to leave during the movie.
I will say that this was the first 3D movie I had gone to since Monsters Vs Aliens. So I have no real frame of reference but I thought the 3D was pretty cool. If this was a conversion I need to see a film that was actually shot in 3D!
post #42 of 65 Old 03-30-2012, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Already up for preorder on Amazon.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #43 of 65 Old 03-30-2012, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreHD View Post

Who's he? Why's he doing that? What, where, how? I give it a 2.9 for the effects, but you'll be lost the entire time!

Oh, I don't think I'll be lost. I read Edgar Rice Burroughs' Mars novels when I was in high school, in the late 50s. John Carter, a courtly gentleman of Old Virginia, has the habit of gazing up, of a summer evening, at the red dot which (we later learn) its inhabitants call Barsoom, and feels a strange attraction, which grows stronger and stronger.

At last, one night, he lifts his arms up toward the planet which so beckons him, and feels a singular detachment -- a moment of disorientation. Then he awakes to an alien landscape, that of Barsoom, where he soon encounters the weird but valiant and loyal green giant Tars Tarkas, and later the incomparable Dejah Thoris, princess of Mars, and has many wonderful adventures.

Greg Lee
post #44 of 65 Old 03-31-2012, 06:17 AM

I enjoyed the movie, would have waited for the 3D Bluray but my grandson talked me into it.

I'll have to get the book.

Not near as confusing as Dune was to someone who hadn't read the book.

Lee
post #45 of 65 Old 03-31-2012, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 42
$24.99 at Amazon right now with $5 coupon.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #46 of 65 Old 04-02-2012, 07:03 AM

Liked: 48
Quote:

Of course none of those conversions are on par with carefully shot native 3D (although The Avengers was really really close, and I'd like to see it again). That's not quite what I meant by "wonderful." They are all pretty darn good for conversions. You might just be surprised if you go in with low expectations. You can find the John Carter, MIB III, and Wrath of the Titans 3D trailers in SBS on YouTube.

Really? I don't think so. I would rather have high expectations and not bother with conversions.

Also, I don't think that sort of viewpoint does anything to help raise 3D standards either. Studios will continue to deliver substandard 3D to theatres if people are prepared to put up with it. I for one am not!
post #47 of 65 Old 04-02-2012, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampyro View Post

Finally saw John Carter. Decent movie, I give it three stars. I had recently read the book and I must say the movie was way different from the more simple yet more entertaining chain of events that occur in the book. I feel If they stuck to the book more then the movie would've been much better. A lot was changed from the book and I'm surprised ERB fans didn't make this more of an issue. I wonder sometimes how these directors get away with changing what was originally so great and getting financial support despite these drastic changes.

I had already read about the changes from the book which kind of caught me by surprise. With the franchise thinking in Hollywood, several books to draw on, lots of fans who have read those books, I expected it to stay closer to the written than reported (I have not seen it yet) which had plenty of material to work with for a movie without going afield.
post #48 of 65 Old 04-17-2012, 08:47 PM

Hello,

We now have delivery date(s) for the order you placed on March 30, 2012
Taylor Kitsch, et al "John Carter (Four-Disc Combo: Blu-ray 3D/Blu-ray/DVD + Digital Copy)"
Estimated arrival date: June 11, 2012 - June 15, 2012
From Amazon. This title will be released on June 5, 2012
post #49 of 65 Old 04-18-2012, 07:41 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tory40 View Post

which i thought was horrible 3D wise on my 46".

Given the size of your screen, I'd say 99% of 3d content will look fairly ho hum at best. You've got to go bigger.
post #50 of 65 Old 05-02-2012, 01:33 PM

For some reason whenever I see the name John Carter I laugh out loud.... No sequel for this one I assume
post #51 of 65 Old 06-07-2012, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

I watched John Carter late last night and absolutely loved it. Only planned to watch a little of it to check out the 3D but I got swept up in the story, the characters and art design. I haven't enjoyed an "adventure" film like this in quite a while.

The 3D presentation worked quite well for me. There were so many scenes throughout where the composition clearly seemed designed for 3D conversion. No, it's not Hugo 3D, but it was a nice enhancement with some wonderful wow moments.

I'm looking to forward to watching this again which is something I can't say about a lot of the 3D titles I own.
post #52 of 65 Old 06-07-2012, 08:53 AM

Liked: 48
I watched the 2D version of this movie a week or so ago and I too enjoyed it. It's a pity Disney lost so much money on it and you have to wonder what went so spectacularly wrong that a reasonably good movie did as badly as this one.
post #53 of 65 Old 06-07-2012, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
A co-worker has advised me to not bother paying good money to see John Carter - he watched it last night in 2D with his wife, and they both thought the story was boring and nothing in the movie drew them in. "Watch it on The Movie Channel or Free On-demand, don't pay to rent it" or something similar. Lots of action that was not really interesting to watch - just a very busy screen.

He seems to have similar taste in movies, or at least doesn't seem too far off-base from my own tastes, but I'll pick up this movie in 3D anyway.

Seems to be quite the polarizing film.

(OT: much like W.E., the Wallis Simpson movie directed by Madonna, which seems to get a lot of negative reviews just because of the director, not the content, while also getting positive reviews from others that seem to want to just judge the content. I can't make that call yet, but will shortly - I have it on order via Amazon.)

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #54 of 65 Old 06-07-2012, 10:54 AM

I actually liked John Carter and just picked it up in the 4 disc combo pack. I probably would have passed on the Bluray 3D, I saw it in the theater and the 3D was not all that impressive, but they had it at Walmart on sale for $24.99 and with the coupon below I got it for $19.99...

http://www.disneymovierewards.go.com/promotions/special-offers/johncartercoupon?LSID=552179|10676026|VDgzOEhRb0JDamNBQUdJVEhJZ0FBQUcw&ltp=1

the coupon is good through June 11th, and for that price I said what the heck...

(OT Reply: As for W.E. it was not very good regardless of who directed it... 60% of the movie followed a woman in 1998 obsessed with Wallis Simpson, and it was completely uninteresting. I would have rather just seen a strictly period piece with more details on Wallis Simpson's actual life. I'd like to know what you think once you have seen it.)

Thank You
Chris Feehan
501st\ECG - TK6744
http://www.curemode.com
post #55 of 65 Old 06-07-2012, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I agree with this as well. Even a tame 3D, at least to me, is more enjoyable than 2D. For example, I rather like HP: Deathly Hollows Part 2 in 3D. It adds to my experience overall.
I think sometimes people just watch a 3D movie to critique it and the movie ends up being an afterthought. Seems to be the case with every new technology. Same story when HD DVD and blu ray came out.

I was guilty of this when I first got my theater/projector setup. I was so concerned with contrast, brightness, color accuracy, sharpness, etc.... that I had to learn to take a step back and just enjoy it all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMike View Post

I totally agree with you. I could not have said it better. Give those of us who like a good conversion the 3D option. No one is forcing anyone to watch it.
ajleske likes this.
post #56 of 65 Old 06-10-2012, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I picked up the BluRay 3D version today and watched it earlier this afternoon. Not nearly as immersive as a native 3D release but for a film that supposedly wasn't even conceived or photographed with 3D in mind, I thought the post-conversion was actually pretty good. There was a moderate amount of depth almost for the entire running time. No real pop out of the screen to speak of but I'd rather see this as a post-converted 3D than just 2D.

In terms of the movie itself, I liked it. It really tried to evoke the sci-fi films of the 50s and 60s and despite all the flawed science and Taylor Kitsch's somewhat stilted performance it was still an entertaining adventure.
ajleske likes this.
post #57 of 65 Old 06-14-2012, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

I picked up the BluRay 3D version today and watched it earlier this afternoon. Not nearly as immersive as a native 3D release but for a film that supposedly wasn't even conceived or photographed with 3D in mind, I thought the post-conversion was actually pretty good. There was a moderate amount of depth almost for the entire running time. No real pop out of the screen to speak of but I'd rather see this as a post-converted 3D than just 2D.
In terms of the movie itself, I liked it. It really tried to evoke the sci-fi films of the 50s and 60s and despite all the flawed science and Taylor Kitsch's somewhat stilted performance it was still an entertaining adventure.
+1
ajleske likes this.
post #58 of 65 Old 06-16-2012, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I see some folks really like JC. I finally got around to seeing this just now and my wife and I liked it very much and thought the 3D was just fine. I hope Disney does well on the Blu Ray and DVD sales.
post #59 of 65 Old 06-24-2012, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

Watched JC tonight. Frankly, it was a lot better than I expected. If there was a sequel, I'd watch it. A lot better than I feared based on the reviews. Yeah, it isn't anything you need to think too deeply - along the lines of Chronicles of Riddick - but enjoyable. I didn't find it confusing, which some reviews have alluded to.

IMHO, YMMV,

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #60 of 65 Old 09-09-2012, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Netflix finally sent me a standard DVD copy of John Carter. It would have been more interesting if it had been a movie about Jimmy Carter, or even Billy Carter. I never knew Mars could be so uninteresting and boring.

If you have a silly plot, unbelievable characters, and add a dog/Road Runner hybrid creature that gave the entire movie fleas, then it makes no difference whether you watch it in 2D or 3D, on a 30’ diagonal theater screen or a 52” diagonal LCD HDTV as I did. The movie still stinks. I had to hit the fast-forward button to get through it all.

War Of The Worlds 1 and 2, Alien, Aliens, Blade Runner, The Day the Earth Stood Still (original), Lifeforce, the Jurassic Park movies, The Thing 1 &2, these were all very good Sci-Fi flicks, not this Saturday morning cartoon made for children under the age of 13.
Reply 3D Content

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , John Carter Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , John Carter Four Disc Combo Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page