John Carter reviews! - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 65 Old 09-09-2012, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Agree, the believability of movies [and games] doesn't seem to keep up with my age, making it hard to get and stay immersed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 65 Old 09-10-2012, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by inky blacks View Post

War Of The Worlds 1 and 2, Alien, Aliens, Blade Runner, The Day the Earth Stood Still (original), Lifeforce, the Jurassic Park movies, The Thing 1 &2, these were all very good Sci-Fi flicks, not this Saturday morning cartoon made for children under the age of 13.

It's an adaptation. Who do you think Burroughs was writing the books for?

post #63 of 65 Old 09-18-2012, 10:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

It's an adaptation. Who do you think Burroughs was writing the books for?

Precisely. He wrote the Barsoom series for teenage boys, that's who. I read the books in the Summer of '68, at the age of 13.

As to the adaptation, I thought it was fine, and preserved the spirit of the books. I actually re-read the original "A Princess of Mars" while waiting for my Blu-Ray to arrive. There were many passages that would have been difficult, to say the least, to adapt to cinema. So I was pleased with the job they did.

I must say I'm puzzled at the hatred directed at this movie. It was perfectly serviceable as entertainment, not a masterpiece, but a workmanlike job. I'm even more puzzled at how many people found it difficult to follow.
post #64 of 65 Old 05-12-2013, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Rented John Carter on 3d blu ray last night, dissapointed... that I let popular opinion dissuade me from picking it up when it came out.

Fritz! Fritz, get up for God's sake! Get up! They've killed Fritz! They've killed Fritz! Those lousy stinking yellow fairies! Those horrible atrocity-filled vermin! Those despicable animal warmongers!
post #65 of 65 Old 06-29-2013, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I rented the 2D version from netflix and wasn't very impressed either.I also ran into a problem that I never had before with clipping the ADC's input levels on my Lexicon MC-12 using the analog inputs.Is there anyone with an MC-12 who has watched this movie using the analog inputs who has had the inputs clip?

I had my input levels manually set with a 1khz sinewave to just below clipping to maximize headroom and have not had any problems with any clipping the inputs until this disc.Even if I set the MC-12 to automatically adjust the input level to help prevent clipping the ADC's,it adjusts the level down about -5db and the sound still clips badly on the loudest parts of the film. I even manually adjusted the level down to -7db and it was still clipping!

How hot is this film mixed?
Reply 3D Content

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , John Carter Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , John Carter Four Disc Combo Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page