Where is the streaming 3D to computer?!?!? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 03-10-2012, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Akkula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just hooked up my legacy Mitsubishi 737 "checkerboard" TV to my brand new Dell 17r i5 processor with Nvidia 525m graphics card laptop.

I also purchased the Future Cinema Eagle 510 - Black 3D DLP Link Active Shutter Rechargeable Glasses for 3D Ready Projectors, Mitsubishi and Samsung DLP Link TV's. Great inexpensive glasses, from what I can tell as a 3d novice. It is also nice not to have to use an emitter--the glasses work with the tv without any additional box I need to hookup to the back.

The glasses, computer, and TV work flawlessly on youtube for 3d! That 3d super mario cracks me up! YouTube has done a great service by supporting checkerboard output on their 3d videos.

I also got a push2tv adapter that wirelessly streams my PC desktop to my TV. It works great for 1080p 2d but I can't get the 3d stream to work unless I am hooked up to HDMI. Any ideas how I can cut the cord and use my push2tv to stream 3d content that will show correctly on my tv?

Now onto my gripe...where is the online streaming 3d content? I don't want to have to buy a new blu ray player that requires an obsolete physical storage medium. I don't want to buy a 3da-1 adapter to convert to checkerboard. I do not want to continue paying for satellite TV given the evolution of the internet. I HAVE A PERFECTLY CAPABLE BOX CALLED A PC THAT CAN DO THE JOBS OF THESE THREE OTHER BOXES

Vudu won't let you stream 3d content to your computer. For you experts out there, when is the ubiquitous technology of streaming movie content going to make its way into the 3d realm?
Akkula is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 03-10-2012, 07:40 AM
Senior Member
 
DRaven72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Wolverine Lake, Mi
Posts: 414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akkula View Post


Now onto my gripe...where is the online streaming 3d content? I don't want to have to buy a new blu ray player that requires an obsolete physical storage medium.

Nothing about Blu-ray is gonna be obsolete any time soon as alot of ppl when they buy something, they want to hold it, not have someone else have it. Really need to inform yourself of how things work and how much bandwidth is needed to stream 1080p 3D. Physical media will not die off with limitations in the infrastructure of this country and no Satelites can not BEAM basically 2 1080p signals to millions at a time to have full HD 3D. Its not gonna change anytime soon either with 4K2K Blu-ray coming to market in 2013.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/4381...n-blu-ray-2013

Until the Cable and Satelite providers and/or government can pour a couple billion into upgrading the infrastructure (equipment/Lines) your going to be stuck. Even with 1080p streaming coming, you will get the occasional blocky picture/stutter because of those "shared" lines or satelites can't handle true 1080p let alone Full HD 3D.

Cool Beans.
DRaven72 is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 03-10-2012, 07:42 AM
Senior Member
 
DRaven72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Wolverine Lake, Mi
Posts: 414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 67
And I don't know why you would want someone else in control of you physical media(movies) instead of you. System goes down your out of luck. I don't like the idea of a company or anyone having control of my purchase in their hands, why would you?

Cool Beans.
DRaven72 is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old 03-10-2012, 12:03 PM
Member
 
2D3D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bluray obselete ? lol Well maybe in 4-5 years, but come on man, not everyone can stream huge amount of data , all the time , on a dependable network.
I prefer to own the physical disc.
2D3D is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 03-10-2012, 01:20 PM
Senior Member
 
johnny905's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 323
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akkula View Post

For you experts out there, when is the ubiquitous technology of streaming movie content going to make its way into the 3d realm?

Sensio's 3DGO streaming service is launching this spring. Initially it will just be for 3DTVs that license their 3D format, but I believe eventually they plan to include PCs, laptops, etc.

http://sensio.tv/business/content_solutions/3dgo

I am with you. I'd rather not have to buy blu-rays if I can get near-blu ray quality streaming. I look forward to testing their service and seeing if the quality of their streaming is as good as they say it is.
johnny905 is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 03-10-2012, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Akkula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny905 View Post

Sensio's 3DGO streaming service is launching this spring. Initially it will just be for 3DTVs that license their 3D format, but I believe eventually they plan to include PCs, laptops, etc.

http://sensio.tv/business/content_solutions/3dgo

I am with you. I'd rather not have to buy blu-rays if I can get near-blu ray quality streaming. I look forward to testing their service and seeing if the quality of their streaming is as good as they say it is.

Good to know, what is the holdup with the PC? I can't believe this wasn't done 2-3 years ago. Is this about money or copy protection? Aren't more people pissed you can't get 3d content streamed to your computer? Where are the pitchforks and torches?

Lol at everyone that is so upset about my blu ray comments. If you want to buy blu rays, more power to you. For me, I don't care to permanently own many movies and I don't want to wait for the mail when I want to watch a rental. If it takes me a couple of hours in the morning to download something for the evening, I am okay with that instead of waiting a few days for physical media to show up. If you are opposite, that is fine too
Akkula is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 03-10-2012, 08:38 PM
Senior Member
 
DRaven72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Wolverine Lake, Mi
Posts: 414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akkula View Post

Lol at everyone that is so upset about my blu ray comments.

#1 No one WAS upset

#2 Pointing out your "obsolete" comment was to keep you from looking "ignorant" in future posts

#3 Actually try to absorb the info I posted about streaming 3D, it won't be in Full 3D 1080p as like it has been pointed out, there is no infrastructure that can handle all these services going through coax copper since fiberoptic is only in limited areas not to mention hogging satelite streams. You will get crappy side by side 720p 3D.

Thank you, enjoy your show

Cool Beans.
DRaven72 is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 03-11-2012, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Akkula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRaven72 View Post

#1 No one WAS upset

#2 Pointing out your "obsolete" comment was to keep you from looking "ignorant" in future posts

#3 Actually try to absorb the info I posted about streaming 3D, it won't be in Full 3D 1080p as like it has been pointed out, there is no infrastructure that can handle all these services going through coax copper since fiberoptic is only in limited areas not to mention hogging satelite streams. You will get crappy side by side 720p 3D.

Thank you, enjoy your show

A computer harddrive is more than capable of downloading and storing an entire blu ray 1080p 3d movie, no? It may not be an instant stream but it will get downloaded a lot more quickly than USPS can deliver and then you can view it/burn it if you want a physical backup.

I am okay with being ignorant about blu ray technology since I am not interested in utilizing it. I have no problem with other people using it or thinking it is better.

Anyhow, if we can stay on topic discussing when the 3d streaming/downloading will be available to the PC, that would be great.

I still can't figure out why major software distributors like Microsoft can make their content available online but we haven't figured this out for movies at this stage of the game.
Akkula is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 03-11-2012, 09:56 PM
Senior Member
 
johnny905's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 323
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akkula View Post

Anyhow, if we can stay on topic discussing when the 3d streaming/downloading will be available to the PC, that would be great.

I still can't figure out why major software distributors like Microsoft can make their content available online but we haven't figured this out for movies at this stage of the game.

As another poster already mentioned, streaming an actual 3D blu-ray is not going to happen any time soon. The existing 2D infrastructure simply does not have the bandwidth and I don't see them spending the $$$ required to upgrade it just to accommodate the 3D fans out there at the moment (who knows, maybe one day).

So downloading is definitely an option, but 50GB is still a huge file to download and, in addition to the time it would take to download, more and more ISPs are starting to utilize GB download caps which could very quickly get chewed up at 50GB a clip.

Sensio's 3DGO compression can apparently reduce the download/streaming size to as low as 2GB while maintaining near blu-ray PQ. I know many on this board will scoff at that idea, but I look forward to seeing it in action this spring.
johnny905 is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 03-12-2012, 01:27 PM
Member
 
2D3D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akkula View Post

A computer harddrive is more than capable of downloading and storing an entire blu ray 1080p 3d movie, no? It may not be an instant stream but it will get downloaded a lot more quickly than USPS can deliver and then you can view it/burn it if you want a physical backup.

I am okay with being ignorant about blu ray technology since I am not interested in utilizing it. I have no problem with other people using it or thinking it is better.

Anyhow, if we can stay on topic discussing when the 3d streaming/downloading will be available to the PC, that would be great.

I still can't figure out why major software distributors like Microsoft can make their content available online but we haven't figured this out for movies at this stage of the game.

Exactly what contents are you talking about, that are available online from Microsoft that are equivalent to a 50GB data ?
The movies are out there being streamed, you can stream movies from netflix, Vudu , Blockbuster, Hulu, PSN etc etc. IN HD as well.
But once and for all try to understand that FOR NOW, Bluray is the main way. Sure in 5 years , it will be replaced by streaming.
Now just cause you dont like Bluray, that doesnt make it obselete. I bet youre the one who said VHS was obselete right after they won the battle against other formats !
2D3D is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 04-15-2012, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Akkula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had to bite the bullet and get an external blu ray player for my computer because there were no other steaming options right now.

I also purchased PowerDVD 12. I accidentally bought the standard edition and then had to upgrade to the Ultra edition to get all the 3d features. The absolute best thing about this program is that it can output the checkerboard format so I don't need to worry about getting the now expensive 3da-1 checkerboard converter and a stand alone blu ray player.

As far as software goes, I don't understand why there was so much talk about the Nvidia 3DTV Play software. I was thinking that was required in order to watch 3d on your TV but after I bought PowerDVD 12, I was able to watch 3d without any additional software I needed to purchase from Nvidia. Maybe this was old information or something or maybe PowerDVD 12 has more features than previous versions.

Also, I think my computer is just using the integraded HD i5 graphics card to do all of this.

I am still having problems with the getting the push2tv to move the 3d signal from my computer all the way to the TV so I am still having to use the HDMI cable to get the 3d to work properly. I think I am going to need to buy a 30' HDMI cable and call it a day.

Also, WTF is the deal with the Direct2PC app from DirectTV? How can they make it not work with the most common, new, integraded intel graphics cards on laptops? Is there a work around on this because I would love to get 3d content from directtv to run though my computer to my TV.

To summarize, I have confirmed that a cheap external blu ray drive combined with PowerDVD 12, a checkerboard compatible tv, and a modern i5 laptop with integrated graphics will properly display 3d content from blu ray and streaming from youtube. I would say that anyone considering a stand alone traditional blu ray player that has a checkerboard TV should consider this option because it may be more future proof than some of the other avenues to displaying checkerboard content and you may be able to leverage the computer you already own.
Akkula is offline  
Reply 3D Content



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off