Whats the point of Theater anymore? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 89 Old 03-25-2012, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tony123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Upstate, South Carolina
Posts: 4,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I don't think its an accurate to say that my theater is unreachable to most. I don't take offense, but rather think it's a misconception that I would love to see more people educated on. Granted, it's a blessing to have the amount of space I have, but the equipment itself is nothing expensive.

I'll spell it out in brief:
Three front speakers $1400
Surrounds $1200
Subs $1800
Processor $900
Main Amp $700
Sub Amp $280
EQ $30
PS3 $300
Projector $2000
Screen $380

Total of $8990 in gear. Hardly extravagent. It does take effort, planning, willingness, knowlege and waiting for bargains.

So how many folks have $9k or more in equipment? I see folks all day long spending that on the typical living room TV and HTIB outfit at Best Buy.

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
tony123 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 89 Old 03-25-2012, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member
 
DenisG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I bargain hunted all my speakers. I few here a few there over a period of time and paid almost half the normal price as I found them. Well I bargain hunted everything except the projector. It was to new to find a deal on it, but $1500 for a 1080p 3D projector was a good price for me and my old glasses still worked with it.
DenisG is online now  
post #63 of 89 Old 03-26-2012, 03:51 AM
Advanced Member
 
BishopLord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Florin, Ca
Posts: 543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRaven72 View Post

It is. I only go to matinee's at Imagine Theaters. Great Price, no people at the 11am shows. You can try and replicate it all you want, but to me for action movies, that 50ft screen is still better then anything you can bring home. Now people that spend money to watch comedy on the big screen are the ones that kill me. Really?? Is there a need to watch a comedy on a big screen? (Usually not big explosions or high action.)

IMO of course.

I have a 150" screen in my home theater. Sitting about 12 feet away is close to getting that 50' screen experience you're talking about. My authentic theater seats and 7.1 surround systems completes the package nicely. I'll never pay to see a public movie again. I gladly wait a few months for the video or streaming release. When i was a kid, growing up near the local airbase, we always had to wait a couple months for the new releases so i guess i've been raised to wait and be patient. In this day and age, there are so many other movie, games, tv shows, and other stuff to occupy my time. I just don't see the logic in paying $20+ for my wife and i to watch one movie. Besides, i seem to always catch a cold when i go to public theaters.
BishopLord is offline  
post #64 of 89 Old 03-26-2012, 11:13 AM
Senior Member
 
HowlinWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Consider getting a better sub and you'd be surprise at how much more enjoyable films are!

My sub shakes the room when I turn it up. It's not a problem. The sound is clear, warm, deep, and as loud as I want it to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

I don't think its an accurate to say that my theater is unreachable to most. I don't take offense, but rather think it's a misconception that I would love to see more people educated on. Granted, it's a blessing to have the amount of space I have, but the equipment itself is nothing expensive.

I'll spell it out in brief:
Three front speakers $1400
Surrounds $1200
Subs $1800
Processor $900
Main Amp $700
Sub Amp $280
EQ $30
PS3 $300
Projector $2000
Screen $380

Total of $8990 in gear. Hardly extravagent. It does take effort, planning, willingness, knowlege and waiting for bargains.

So how many folks have $9k or more in equipment? I see folks all day long spending that on the typical living room TV and HTIB outfit at Best Buy.

Well 9 grand is a lot for the average person to spend, no doubt. Even so, when I looked your speakers up online they were like $2500 each for used ones. Am I looking at the wrong ones or something?
Klipsch La Scala: $3500 each
http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Cherry.../dp/B000EI5OFE

Klipsch Heresy: $850 each
http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Heresy.../dp/B000PVXX8A

Klipsch RS-62: $450 each
http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Surrou.../dp/B000UVYHRG

I couldn't find the Danley DTS10s for sale online, so I don't know how much those are. But this is a LOT more money than the average person spends on speakers.
HowlinWolf is offline  
post #65 of 89 Old 03-26-2012, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
pokekevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 5,062
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlinWolf View Post

My sub shakes the room when I turn it up. It's not a problem. The sound is clear, warm, deep, and as loud as I want it to be.


Well 9 grand is a lot for the average person to spend, no doubt. Even so, when I looked your speakers up online they were like $2500 each for used ones. Am I looking at the wrong ones or something?
Klipsch La Scala: $3500 each
http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Cherry.../dp/B000EI5OFE

Klipsch Heresy: $850 each
http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Heresy.../dp/B000PVXX8A

Klipsch RS-62: $450 each
http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Surrou.../dp/B000UVYHRG

I couldn't find the Danley DTS10s for sale online, so I don't know how much those are. But this is a LOT more money than the average person spends on speakers.

No offense but I thought the same when I was running a MLT 2 sub along with my HTIB Denon. Somehow the fools in the subwoofer section persuaded me to get a LFM-1EX. I was skeptical at first but got blown away. Now I have 2 and planning on getting subMs for a future dedicated theater build

For my speakers, I got em all on sale so spent only 50% of what the MSRP cost was.

L/R: Energy RC-10s (soon to be 70s)
C: Energy RC LCR
SL/SR: Paradigm Cinema 90s
SB: Paradigm Cinema 90s CC

Sub1: Outlaw LFM1-EX
Sub2: Outlaw LFM1-EX
Sub3: Hsu MBM
Sub4: Paradigm PDR 10 (cant get rid of it lol)

Running it all off of receiver power from a Denon 1611

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
pokekevin is offline  
post #66 of 89 Old 03-26-2012, 11:56 AM
Senior Member
 
HowlinWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

No offense but I thought the same when I was running a MLT 2 sub along with my HTIB Denon. Somehow the fools in the subwoofer section persuaded me to get a LFM-1EX. I was skeptical at first but got blown away. Now I have 2 and planning on getting subMs for a future dedicated theater build

For my speakers, I got em all on sale so spent only 50% of what the MSRP cost was.

L/R: Energy RC-10s (soon to be 70s)
C: Energy RC LCR
SL/SR: Paradigm Cinema 90s
SB: Paradigm Cinema 90s CC

Sub1: Outlaw LFM1-EX
Sub2: Outlaw LFM1-EX
Sub3: Hsu MBM
Sub4: Paradigm PDR 10 (cant get rid of it lol)

Running it all off of receiver power from a Denon 1611

My sub may not be a LFM-1EX, but it's a lot better than the one in the MLT package. I see that MLT package on sale online for like $200 with all the speakers and sub included. My sub alone was more than that.

I may not have the absolute best setup in the world, but it's still pretty decent for an average guy. You walk into a grocery store, baseball game, bar, restaurant, or almost any other public place, grab 10 random people, and my setup will be nicer than most of theirs. It's not some cheap Walmart setup or a bookshelf stereo anything like that.
HowlinWolf is offline  
post #67 of 89 Old 03-26-2012, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tony123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Upstate, South Carolina
Posts: 4,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Those Amazon examples are inflated. The prices I quoted are easily found. So, I've got roughly $4600 in speakers and subs.

I wonder which one of us is closer to right? From my time on the forum, I would guestimate that $4600 on speakers and subs is fairly average. Maybe I'm one of those out of touch rich people. I sincerely doubt it, but maybe you're more right than I.

My point though is that there are thousands of members on this forum that can out perform commercial theaters in audio.

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
tony123 is offline  
post #68 of 89 Old 03-26-2012, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pokekevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 5,062
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlinWolf View Post

My sub may not be a LFM-1EX, but it's a lot better than the one in the MLT package. I see that MLT package on sale online for like $200 with all the speakers and sub included. My sub alone was more than that.

I may not have the absolute best setup in the world, but it's still pretty decent for an average guy. You walk into a grocery store, baseball game, bar, restaurant, or almost any other public place, grab 10 random people, and my setup will be nicer than most of theirs. It's not some cheap Walmart setup or a bookshelf stereo anything like that.

It's only so cheap since ML is trying to get rid of the inventory It's basically a paradigm PDR-10. Does a great job doing MBM duties now. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking your sub down. Just saying some of the ID subs do a great job and give the theaters I used to go to a run for their money. The IMAX's are nice but I feel that their bass is quite boomy compared to other fella's HT systems in my area. Been to almost all the IMAX's in my area and a few other ETX's and XD's.

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
pokekevin is offline  
post #69 of 89 Old 03-26-2012, 12:07 PM
Senior Member
 
HowlinWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

Those Amazon examples are inflated. The prices I quoted are easily found. So, I've got roughly $4600 in speakers and subs.

I wonder which one of us is closer to right? From my time on the forum, I would guestimate that $4600 on speakers and subs is fairly average. Maybe I'm one of those out of touch rich people. I sincerely doubt it, but maybe you're more right than I.

My point though is that there are thousands of members on this forum that can out perform commercial theaters in audio.

I can promise you if you take every man woman and child in this country and see which ones spent $4600 on their home theater speakers, the percentage will be extremely small. In fact, I don't know 1 single person in real life that spent that much money on their home theater speakers.

Yes, I get it, there are people on this site that have. But don't confuse this site with a snapshot of the general public. This site is almost entirely populated by the type of people that would spend that much on their speakers. And even the majority of the members here haven't spent that much on their speakers.

And that is assuming anyone out there could find the same deals you did. I assure you, there are millions of people checking Amazon for their shopping needs, and the links I posted were all from Amazon. So even your setup which "only" cost you around $4600 for the speakers alone, would cost most people more than twice that amount for the speakers alone.

Anyway, my point is still valid. You spent way more on your setup than most people do, and you have way more space than most people do. Most people can't build "half an Imax" in their house. So most people will enjoy going to the movies a whole lot better than watching it in their house.

Even the people in this thread who said they would prefer to stay at home- most of them like the actual movie better in the theater. They just don't want to deal with the crowds and other things like that. If they actually owned the local movie theater, and it was attached to their house and closed to the public, they would choose to go there instead of their current home theater.
HowlinWolf is offline  
post #70 of 89 Old 03-26-2012, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Wryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nashvegas
Posts: 2,404
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I can't remember what I spent on my Aperion speakers but speakers are the most important piece to a home theater followed by projector and screen. I do not understand the benefit of a pre-amp versus a decent AVR (I have a Denon 3808). I have a 7.1 sound set-up w/1 sub (all Aperions). My screen is 'only' 106" since that's the largest I could get for the distance from the screen to the seats. I bought theater seats on-line (set of 3) well over 5 years ago for @$900 delivered. I just upgraded my projector from the Sony PRO1 to the HW30 ($3K for the projector). So $9K IS a lot of money to most people. I suggest buying piece by piece. Upgrade as you can afford it by selling the one you have now of whatever it is. That's my 3 cents.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Wryker is offline  
post #71 of 89 Old 03-26-2012, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pokekevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 5,062
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
actually in my home town, mos tof my friends with soundbars and netflix still prefer staying at home...

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
pokekevin is offline  
post #72 of 89 Old 03-26-2012, 12:20 PM
Senior Member
 
HowlinWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

actually in my home town, mos tof my friends with soundbars and netflix still prefer staying at home...

Oh yeah, people will obviously want to stay home for whatever reason. I'm just saying that most people who prefer to stay home aren't choosing that option because the movie looks and sounds better at home.

Like I was saying, those same friends of yours with soundbars and netflix... If they owned the local Imax theater, lived inside of it, and it was closed to the public, they would almost certainly prefer to watch movies there instead of their current soundbar and netflix setup.
HowlinWolf is offline  
post #73 of 89 Old 03-26-2012, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pokekevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 5,062
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlinWolf View Post

My sub may not be a LFM-1EX, but it's a lot better than the one in the MLT package. I see that MLT package on sale online for like $200 with all the speakers and sub included. My sub alone was more than that.

I may not have the absolute best setup in the world, but it's still pretty decent for an average guy. You walk into a grocery store, baseball game, bar, restaurant, or almost any other public place, grab 10 random people, and my setup will be nicer than most of theirs. It's not some cheap Walmart setup or a bookshelf stereo anything like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlinWolf View Post

Oh yeah, people will obviously want to stay home for whatever reason. I'm just saying that most people who prefer to stay home aren't choosing that option because the movie looks and sounds better at home.

Like I was saying, those same friends of yours with soundbars and netflix... If they owned the local Imax theater, lived inside of it, and it was closed to the public, they would almost certainly prefer to watch movies there instead of their current soundbar and netflix setup.

If I owned an IMAX theater I still would prefer to be at home...Trust me I probably spend more money on movie tickets (especially ETX,XD, and IMAX) than most people here lol. Only reason I go the theater is for the big time action flicks yet I still enjoy more at home when they are out on bluray

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
pokekevin is offline  
post #74 of 89 Old 03-26-2012, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pokekevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 5,062
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I also still preferred staying at home for the pq/sq when I had my htib I must be crazy

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
pokekevin is offline  
post #75 of 89 Old 03-26-2012, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tony123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Upstate, South Carolina
Posts: 4,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlinWolf View Post

I can promise you if you take every man woman and child in this country and see which ones spent $4600 on their home theater speakers, the percentage will be extremely small. In fact, I don't know 1 single person in real life that spent that much money on their home theater speakers.

Yes, I get it, there are people on this site that have. But don't confuse this site with a snapshot of the general public. This site is almost entirely populated by the type of people that would spend that much on their speakers. And even the majority of the members here haven't spent that much on their speakers.

And that is assuming anyone out there could find the same deals you did. I assure you, there are millions of people checking Amazon for their shopping needs, and the links I posted were all from Amazon. So even your setup which "only" cost you around $4600 for the speakers alone, would cost most people more than twice that amount for the speakers alone.

Anyway, my point is still valid. You spent way more on your setup than most people do, and you have way more space than most people do. Most people can't build "half an Imax" in their house. So most people will enjoy going to the movies a whole lot better than watching it in their house.

Even the people in this thread who said they would prefer to stay at home- most of them like the actual movie better in the theater. They just don't want to deal with the crowds and other things like that. If they actually owned the local movie theater, and it was attached to their house and closed to the public, they would choose to go there instead of their current home theater.



I wasn't confusing anything. I was having the discussion assuming the population we're including are folks that would be on this forum or reading this thread. Hobbiest. Not the general population of the country. For the record, I know at least two dozen people personally that have spent more than that. And I would bet the farm that there are thousands on this forum. Likely not the majority.

Anyway, we have a side topic here that's only loosley related to the point of the thread. So I'll just say we have different perspectives. And thats fine. I didn't intend to play your antagonist.

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
tony123 is offline  
post #76 of 89 Old 03-26-2012, 05:21 PM
Member
 
crab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Oak Harbor WA
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah, I'm over that on speakers myself. I was also assuming that here in 3D we are talking about many who are early adopters. In my experience these types tend to be enthusiasts and more likely to have higher end equipment. Not necessarily a good assumption I suppose as wolf points out.
crab is offline  
post #77 of 89 Old 03-26-2012, 05:47 PM
Senior Member
 
HowlinWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by crab View Post

Yeah, I'm over that on speakers myself. I was also assuming that here in 3D we are talking about many who are early adopters. In my experience these types tend to be enthusiasts and more likely to have higher end equipment. Not necessarily a good assumption I suppose as wolf points out.

Yeah I have a 55" 3D tv and a pretty high end audio setup (for an average joe). My audio setup ran me about $1500.

The folks spending $5 grand on the speakers alone are a small minority. Not saying it's a bad thing (I looked at tony's home theater thread and I would LOVE to have a setup like that). Just pointing out that most people don't have all that.
HowlinWolf is offline  
post #78 of 89 Old 03-26-2012, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pokekevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 5,062
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlinWolf View Post


Yeah I have a 55" 3D tv and a pretty high end audio setup (for an average joe). My audio setup ran me about $1500.

The folks spending $5 grand on the speakers alone are a small minority. Not saying it's a bad thing (I looked at tony's home theater thread and I would LOVE to have a setup like that). Just pointing out that most people don't have all that.

I got my system for 1500! Good sales on energy speakers at vanns!

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
pokekevin is offline  
post #79 of 89 Old 03-26-2012, 06:22 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Browninggold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Depends on who's looking for me
Posts: 2,384
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I just Dunno....look around....shop around. I purchased 3 Klipsch RF7IIs for 1/2 of MSRP. I have never paid full MSRP on any HT equipment. You can get good deals from ID companies and B & M stores. And sitting 10-12' feet back from a 110" screen is better than a movie theatre IMO. ...enjoy

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
Browninggold is offline  
post #80 of 89 Old 03-27-2012, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
adpayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Camp Lake,WI
Posts: 1,505
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post

I can't remember what I spent on my Aperion speakers but speakers are the most important piece to a home theater followed by projector and screen.

I just received my Aperion Verus Grand fronts and center channel last night. Huge difference over what I was running. In the past 2 weeks, I've gotten a new 3D projector, an Epik sub, and the Aperions. I upgraded to an 106" High Power screen as well.

I thought my theatre was good before, but it is at the next level now.

BTW, HowlinWolf. The reason BD uses 24fps for films, is because that is their native rate. I stand by my assertion that the true resolution of projected film, is much lower than you think it is. What I see on my screen is better than any non-imax showing I've seen.

Art
adpayne is offline  
post #81 of 89 Old 03-27-2012, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Wryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nashvegas
Posts: 2,404
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

I just received my Aperion Verus Grand fronts and center channel last night. Huge difference over what I was running. In the past 2 weeks, I've gotten a new 3D projector, an Epik sub, and the Aperions. I upgraded to an 106" High Power screen as well.

I thought my theatre was good before, but it is at the next level now.
Art

I love my new HW30 and the 3D looks amazing on my da-lite 106" screen. We only go to the theater for matinee's and only IF the movie warrants a big screen viewing (like Avatar). I also listen to movie reviews and what others think about movies I might want to see before we go. We should have seen Captain America and Iron Man 2 and the last HP movies at the theater...but we didn't....but on the big screen at home....sweet.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Wryker is offline  
post #82 of 89 Old 03-27-2012, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
pokekevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 5,062
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post


I just received my Aperion Verus Grand fronts and center channel last night. Huge difference over what I was running. In the past 2 weeks, I've gotten a new 3D projector, an Epik sub, and the Aperions. I upgraded to an 106" High Power screen as well.

I thought my theatre was good before, but it is at the next level now.

BTW, HowlinWolf. The reason BD uses 24fps for films, is because that is their native rate. I stand by my assertion that the true resolution of projected film, is much lower than you think it is. What I see on my screen is better than any non-imax showing I've seen.

Art

Agreed. Theaters don't play em any faster. Also cinematagrophy.com I think has a bunch of dp's explaining that films resolution isn't as high as we claim it to be.

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
pokekevin is offline  
post #83 of 89 Old 03-27-2012, 12:52 PM
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
For a comparison of film (35mm) versus digital resolution GOOGLE:

Digital Cinema Resolution – Current Situation and Future requirements
By: Matt Cowan
Lee Stewart is offline  
post #84 of 89 Old 03-27-2012, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 6,323
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Agreed. Theaters don't play em any faster. Also cinematagrophy.com I think has a bunch of dp's explaining that films resolution isn't as high as we claim it to be.

Theaters generally show 24fps film with projectors with multi bladed shutters for an effective 48 or 72 fps rate from what I've read. One thing to record, another thing to play back there, too.

lovinthehd is online now  
post #85 of 89 Old 03-27-2012, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pokekevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 5,062
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post


Theaters generally show 24fps film with projectors with multi bladed shutters for an effective 48 or 72 fps rate from what I've read. One thing to record, another thing to play back there, too.

Interesting. Do you know where I can read this? I'm curious than to see how they will project the hobbit

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
pokekevin is offline  
post #86 of 89 Old 03-27-2012, 03:02 PM
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Interesting. Do you know where I can read this? I'm curious than to see how they will project the hobbit

The Hobbit is being shot at 48 FPS not 24. They can either show it at 48 or 96

Showing 24 at 48 is not the same as showing 48 at 48
Lee Stewart is offline  
post #87 of 89 Old 03-27-2012, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
BishopLord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Florin, Ca
Posts: 543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

The Hobbit is being shot at 48 FPS not 24. They can either show it at 48 or 96

Showing 24 at 48 is not the same as showing 48 at 48

Please educate me as to why this is...good? Is this good? Something new?
BishopLord is offline  
post #88 of 89 Old 03-27-2012, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pokekevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 5,062
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post


The Hobbit is being shot at 48 FPS not 24. They can either show it at 48 or 96

Showing 24 at 48 is not the same as showing 48 at 48

Would showing 24 at 48 be similar to 72/96hz tvs playing 24 content?

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
pokekevin is offline  
post #89 of 89 Old 03-28-2012, 02:39 AM
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Would showing 24 at 48 be similar to 72/96hz tvs playing 24 content?

Yes. it would.
Lee Stewart is offline  
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off