Whats the point of Theater anymore? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 89 Old 03-13-2012, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I mean, Immortals came out on Blu-Ray so fast, it feels like it was on FYE's shelf the minute I stepped out the Theater ! Thor too. Movies are going to disc literally weeks after the theater run. Now, in the case of a blockbuster like the new Spiderman movie, you know that will have a LONG run in the theaters, and it will 6-8 months before the disc comes.

But a middle of the road movie like Xmen First Class? That may do moderate numbers at the box office? Its in your Blu-Ray 2-3 months after the theater release. Maybe its an anti-bootleg strategy? But it makes the theater not as important as it was. Kinda reminds me of the arcade crash, when arcade quality graphics started coming to the hone consoles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 89 Old 03-13-2012, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Not only that but I also just find the viewing experience so much better at home. Every movie screen I go to appears soft and with washed out colors. The degree of control I have over the image at home is unparalleled and as long as you have a good sized screen and a room that you can make moderately dark you're sitting pretty.
post #3 of 89 Old 03-13-2012, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I guess going to the movies at a theater is more of a social experience hereafter, much like going to a theme park or mall (as opposed to online games/shopping).
post #4 of 89 Old 03-13-2012, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
It's hard to duplicate the movie theater experience in your home. You would need several people to block your view because they're coming in after the movie started or have bladder issues and keep going to the bathroom. You would need a family with a crying infant and an out of control toddler to kick the back of your chair through the entire movie. Don't forget the fat couple making noise with their popcorn bag and candy wrappers. To round out the experience would require teenage girls giggling and incessantly texting.

I think the theater experience would be great if you could go without anyone else being there.

post #5 of 89 Old 03-13-2012, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 133
The last time I went to a movie was the final Harry Potter movie. I had to go tell the operators that they needed to turn up the volume or I wanted my money back. I think a part of the crappy experience is the cheap buggers who run the theater. Things like low volume, projector dimmed to prolong the life of the bulb, etc. There definitely needs to be some consistent quality control that is clearly not happening right now.

As it is, I only go for social reasons. It's a chance to get out of the house, meet with some friends for a beer and an appy beforehand (or after) then go to a movie and talk about it afterwards. There is something to be said for watching a comedy, for example, and being a part of the experience when everyone in the theater laughs at the same time. I remember seeing "The Burbs" in the theater. No one thought it was a very funny movie then there was this scene where Tom Hanks threw his coffee at someone. I don't know if it was supposed to be funny, but my friend belted out this hilarious laugh, and everyone in the theater started laughing.

post #6 of 89 Old 03-13-2012, 09:35 PM

Liked: 16
Imax 3d
post #7 of 89 Old 03-14-2012, 04:00 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferl View Post

I think the theater experience would be great if you could go without anyone else being there.

It is. I only go to matinee's at Imagine Theaters. Great Price, no people at the 11am shows. You can try and replicate it all you want, but to me for action movies, that 50ft screen is still better then anything you can bring home. Now people that spend money to watch comedy on the big screen are the ones that kill me. Really?? Is there a need to watch a comedy on a big screen? (Usually not big explosions or high action.)

IMO of course.

Cool Beans.
post #8 of 89 Old 03-14-2012, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

It's hard to duplicate the movie theater experience in your home. You would need several people to block your view because they're coming in after the movie started or have bladder issues and keep going to the bathroom. You would need a family with a crying infant and an out of control toddler to kick the back of your chair through the entire movie. Don't forget the fat couple making noise with their popcorn bag and candy wrappers. To round out the experience would require teenage girls giggling and incessantly texting.

That happened to me and my wife one time. I can't remember what the flick was because she and I were mostly making out in the dark without anyone saying, "SHHHH" or "get a room"

Wolfie
post #9 of 89 Old 03-14-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankar_v View Post

I guess going to the movies at a theater is more of a social experience hereafter, much like going to a theme park or mall (as opposed to online games/shopping).

not much of social experience as you sit and stare at the movie and if you talk you get shooshed down by other people.

I agree with this article, I rather watch a movie at the comfort of my home, with my own non-overpriced popcorn AND BEER and I can even watch it in my comfy pants and have one hand in them , AlBundy style ! Sorry about the bad visuals !
post #10 of 89 Old 03-14-2012, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

You go to the wrong theaters then.
post #11 of 89 Old 03-14-2012, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
The guy that was saying a theater with no one in it? Thats what I also wanted to mention, theres ALREADY no one in the theaters ! My last movie was Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengence? Like all the other movies I've seen over the last year, there was maybe two dozen people in the theater. I was surprised how Thor managed 180 million in the US, because there were 5 people in the theater ! Maybe this changes this summer with the blockbusters like Men In Black, Avengers, and Spiderman?
ts like the only true reason theaters are still around is for studios to recoup their production budgets and make a little profit too, before they make the real bucks from the home market. Because of the HUGE amounts of cash theaters make off 3D and concessiobs ...
post #12 of 89 Old 03-14-2012, 11:30 AM

Yeah i think some of these blockbuster summer hits like the Dark Knight Rises will starting bringing in bigger crowds. The last movie I saw was Immortals 3D but that was only because i didn't have 3D at home. Now I have a 3D projector to go with 112" screen, 5.1 surround sound system with a light controlled room and i do not plan to go to the theatre for a long time. The only movies that i will go see this year is The Dark Knight Rises and The Hobbit . On the other hand, my kids actually go to the movies alot because they can't wait 2-3 months for the movies to show up on Blu. Oh well. It's good to have some alone time from time to time.
post #13 of 89 Old 03-14-2012, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 31
We only go to matinees for the sole purpose of trying to avoid people and we see a movie that's already been out for a while to increase the odds. We love watching 3D and 2D movies on my 106" screen w/my Sony HW30 and, as someone else posted, we never see comedies, romantic movies at the theater: only ones that deserve it like action movies! BOOM goes the explosion!

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #14 of 89 Old 03-14-2012, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRaven72 View Post

You can try and replicate it all you want, but to me for action movies, that 50ft screen is still better then anything you can bring home.

If you had a dedicated room and PJ setup, you might change your mind about this.

The sound/picture are much better at home for me, than any theatre close by. I still go out, but am always thinking how much better it will look once I get the BD in my house.
post #15 of 89 Old 03-14-2012, 02:41 PM

Liked: 14
This sounds like a thread for theaterfiles. The vast majority of people don't have great home setups and most of us have decent theaters compared to our home setups. I don't think the theater experience has changed that much, but what has changed are the capabilities of a good home setup that a small minority is able to have.
post #16 of 89 Old 03-14-2012, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Darn it, I forgot today was babyday and spring break also. At least there were no babies today and the few kids that were there were at least well behaved before the movie started. I heard at least one parent telling their kid to be quite a few times during the previews but that was it.
post #17 of 89 Old 03-16-2012, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I don't like talkers, cell phone lights etc. either but I do like watching movies in a theater with in a good crowd. It's a better experience watching with others if they are acting like they have some sense. And no way I want to stay at home all the time to watch movies. My wife and I like to get out, and about, especially in the summer time.
post #18 of 89 Old 03-16-2012, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 38
My wife and I watched Tron Legacy in an IMAX 3D theater when she was 9 months pregnant. There were only about a dozen people in that theater. I have only gone to a few movies the last few years and every time I go, there are only a few people. I have seen some of the smaller 2nd run theaters sell out. I think part of the problem is ticket prices are so much. Last time I watched a movie I paid $15 per person to see Tron Legacy in 3D. LOL!! Now I have that movie at home with my 65inch Plasma and a full 3D setup with 5.2 surround. I can watch that movie as many times as I want.

X-Box Live name: OGgamer1974

If you want to be friends on through xbox network, just send me a request through X-Box Live and mention AVS in the request.

Cheers
post #19 of 89 Old 03-16-2012, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Last time I watched a movie I paid $15 per person to see Tron Legacy in 3D. LOL!! Now I have that movie at home with my 65inch Plasma and a full 3D setup with 5.2 surround. I can watch that movie as many times as I want.

This really is the root of the problem. I like to watch good movies at least a few times, and it's less expensive for me to buy the blu ray I want, get some Zesty cheese Doritos and Coke (with rum tee hee) than to go out to the movies with my family. Yeah OK maybe not the cost of the rum, but still...

The cheap second run theaters are reaping the rewards of the greedy first run theaters. Going to two slightly older movies for less than the price of one new one? Priceless.

post #20 of 89 Old 03-16-2012, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Do movies really hit video as fast as the OP is suggesting? Or is he exaggerating a wee bit?

For those of us that like to rent, rather than buy, it doesn't seem like movies hit as quick as he's suggesting. Of course, part of that is the waiting period that some studios use with Blockbuster and Redbox.
post #21 of 89 Old 03-16-2012, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Last movie I saw in the theater was Ghost Protocol in IMAX. Not pleasant with all the usual cliches, i.e., teenagers talking, babies crying, people with their iPhone on max brightness texting, etc.

On a tangential note, I've noticed that I'm less interested in movies overall. My top entertainment events last year weren't even movies (they were Portal 2, Skyrim, Arkham City, Dead Space 2, Uncharted 3, and Rayman Origins). Honestly, I'm looking forward more to BioShock Infinite than Dark Knight Rises, Amazing Spider Man, and Avengers combined.
post #22 of 89 Old 03-16-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange11 View Post

Imax 3d

Agreed. Awesome experience.
post #23 of 89 Old 03-16-2012, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I may go see the Avengers. If so, it will be my first trip to a theater in over two years. I pretty much despise going to theaters any more. A good ht has so many advantages over a multiplex it's just not worth the effort.

post #24 of 89 Old 03-16-2012, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 834
Last movie I saw in a theater was Avatar 3d...still waiting to get the 3d bluray for that one! Closest decent theater (IMAX only for the last few years, too, those cheesy small multiplex screens and soundsystems usually suck) is a half hour drive each way, too. My home setup is very nice, so still get to enjoy my movies, 3d or no...

post #25 of 89 Old 03-16-2012, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My top entertainment events last year weren't even movies (they were Portal 2, Skyrim, Arkham City, Dead Space 2, Uncharted 3, and Rayman Origins). Honestly, I'm looking forward more to BioShock Infinite than Dark Knight Rises, Amazing Spider Man, and Avengers combined.

I wish I could say the same. I'm going the other way. I used to be big time into games. Now I'm so fried at the end of my day that the thought of expending energy, patience and time on games makes it feel like a chore. I'd rather just sit back and be spoon fed my entertainment.

post #26 of 89 Old 03-16-2012, 09:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post

This sounds like a thread for theaterfiles. The vast majority of people don't have great home setups and most of us have decent theaters compared to our home setups. I don't think the theater experience has changed that much, but what has changed are the capabilities of a good home setup that a small minority is able to have.

You don't have to be rich to have a cheap home theatre setup. My first 5.1 RCA home theatre in a box was under $200. I remember thinking how awesome it was lol

What is the meaning of life?
www.iamsecond.com/films
post #27 of 89 Old 03-16-2012, 11:20 PM

I enjoy going to movies.

50 foot screen, 20+ speaker surround sound, and the "smoothness" of film.

My 55 inch TV isn't anywhere near as big, 7.1 sound not anywhere near as good, and 1080p not even close to film.

Now if I owned the local Imax 3D theater and it was actually in my house, yeah, I'd much rather stay home and watch movies.

For now though, I enjoy watching movies at home, but it's not the same as watching it at the local Imax.
post #28 of 89 Old 03-17-2012, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamermwm View Post

You don't have to be rich to have a cheap home theatre setup. My first 5.1 RCA home theatre in a box was under $200. I remember thinking how awesome it was lol

Actually, he was refering to my post about front projection, dedicated room, home theatres. It is true, you don't have to be rich to have one. My first projector was cheaper than the big screen TV it replaced.

I realize not everyone has the space, or desire, for this kind of set up. It offers a true cinema experience though. Something I personally dreamed about having since a was teen.

I still go to "the movies". I go for the shared experience more than anything.

Art
post #29 of 89 Old 03-17-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

Actually, he was refering to my post about front projection, dedicated room, home theatres. It is true, you don't have to be rich to have one. My first projector was cheaper than the big screen TV it replaced.

I realize not everyone has the space, or desire, for this kind of set up. It offers a true cinema experience though. Something I personally dreamed about having since a was teen.

I still go to "the movies". I go for the shared experience more than anything.

Art

I'm certainly not rich. Having said that, I plan on setting up a 3D front projection, 9.1 surround sound, in a dedicated room. Hopefully with at least a 10 foot screen (or bigger if I can make it work).

I'm still in the "researching" stage right now. But it's definitely on my radar and at this point appears to be feasible.

It still won't replace the 50+ foot screen, 20+ speaker surround, and smooth, rich, high res film at the Imax though.

I'm a fan of going to the movies, and I'm also a fan of watching movies (and good TV shows) in a nice home theater.
post #30 of 89 Old 03-17-2012, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreHD View Post

it makes the theater not as important as it was.

This is working out well for me, because I actually enjoy my home theater system far more than I do a trip to the local theater to watch a movie.

oz
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page