Wrath of the Titans - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 03-30-2012, 03:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just got back from the midnight show. The 3d in this movie isn't going to make any new fans, absolutely no depth in the image at all. The popout that was their was ok, but there wasn't even much of an attempt to show depth let alone pop out.

Please if anyone else sees this film let me know if the theatre you saw this in has any depth to the image. I do believe something is amiss at the theatre I viewed this in because this was the worst 3d I have seen in a theatre.

As far as the film went it was enjoyable, but nothing to get overly excited about. If you want a good popcorn film this weekend go see this. If you want to see a good film and have not seen it yet, go see The Hunger Games
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-30-2012, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
The WB BD for Clash of the Titans is one of the worst circulating. I expect nothing better for Wrath.
post #3 of 19 Old 03-30-2012, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 65
The review on cinemablend.com actually gave the 3D a good writeup, noting that even though it is a post conversion, the director shot the film with 3D in mind and ample time was spent to ensure a good effect.
post #4 of 19 Old 03-30-2012, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm excited for this. I really hope the 3D is at least a little better than average.
post #5 of 19 Old 03-30-2012, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

The review on cinemablend.com actually gave the 3D a good writeup, noting that even though it is a post conversion, the director shot the film with 3D in mind and ample time was spent to ensure a good effect.

Yeah there is something wrong at the theatre I saw it at then cause I have seen a lot of 3d and this was by far the worst.
post #6 of 19 Old 03-30-2012, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach View Post

The WB BD for Clash of the Titans is one of the worst circulating. I expect nothing better for Wrath.

Well, from what I heard so far, I should see it soon in BPublicLibrary, maybe no more than 3 months
post #7 of 19 Old 03-31-2012, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonka702 View Post

Just got back from the midnight show. The 3d in this movie isn't going to make any new fans, absolutely no depth in the image at all. The popout that was their was ok, but there wasn't even much of an attempt to show depth let alone pop out.

Please if anyone else sees this film let me know if the theatre you saw this in has any depth to the image. I do believe something is amiss at the theatre I viewed this in because this was the worst 3d I have seen in a theatre.

As far as the film went it was enjoyable, but nothing to get overly excited about. If you want a good popcorn film this weekend go see this. If you want to see a good film and have not seen it yet, go see The Hunger Games

Saw it yesterday in 3D digital or DLP. Not sure what projection system was used. I enjoyed the movie much more so that the "Clash of the Titans" that proceeded it. I thought the depth perceptive was decent and there was some "pop out". It's available in IMAX 3D also.

I feel that a majority of us are expecting too much "pop out" in our 3D films. Probably better suited to animated movies.

What do you think.
post #8 of 19 Old 03-31-2012, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bontrager View Post

Saw it yesterday in 3D digital or DLP. Not sure what projection system was used. I enjoyed the movie much more so that the "Clash of the Titans" that proceeded it. I thought the depth perceptive was decent and there was some "pop out". It's available in IMAX 3D also.

I feel that a majority of us are expecting too much "pop out" in our 3D films. Probably better suited to animated movies.

What do you think.

Yeah film makers are steering clear of popout so their movie isn't gimmicky. I also agree that overall this was a better film than the Clash remake but no where as good as the original.
post #9 of 19 Old 03-31-2012, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
This movie got a good review from cinema blend

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/3D-Or...ket-30201.html
post #10 of 19 Old 04-01-2012, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:

Yeah film makers are steering clear of popout so their movie isn't gimmicky

Popout doesn't need to be gimmicky. Film makers just need to learn how to do it right. And they should figure it out, because quite often people judge a 3D movie based on how much popout it has. Personally, I love the depth that 3D can give, but a lot of people I talk to tell me that they don't notice it being 3D unless there's popout.
post #11 of 19 Old 04-02-2012, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Agree somewhat. Popout is immediately noticeable but good depth is more subtle and less likely to be given attention from those who have seen 3D only occasionally. It can be seen as time goes by here with some of the newer releases that film makers are beginning to get a handle on shooting in 3D. IMO though this applies more to the mechanics of designing shots so that perspective is available, utilizing popout not in a gimmicky way but to bring the depth both in and out, etc. I think we have a lot to look forward to because soon enough they will get past the basic mechanics of utilizing the medium and move on into the art of it much in the same way as with black and white and then color.
post #12 of 19 Old 04-02-2012, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Critics are pounding the movie, but I saw it today on IMAX 3D, and I give 4 stars. If you're going to the theater to just turn your brain off, wash down some buttered popcorn with soda, and watch some violence, this movie was AWESOME !

After seeing the confusing mess that was John Carter, it was refreshing to see Liam Neisen give it to you straight, in english, right off the bat. This is the good guy, this is the bad guy, and this is why we're fighting the bad guy .

For most of movie, the 3D is just "particle" effects. Leaves or burning embers floating out the screen. Where the 3D was REALLY awesome was the gigantic beast (Zues' dad) at the end. It was made of molten lava, and when it swung its arms, it would leave a trail of lava that came out at you. The battle with the one-eyed giants was nice too. The 3D was better than the most recent movies I've seen. Most of the movies are just doing people pop-out, which just looks like 2D sprites against a background.

My only gripe with the movie is the same gripe I had with the original. You cant spend months creating and animating these spectacular beasts to end the movie, and then kill it off too quickly with ONE blow ! Just looking at these beasts, the Krakin and Kronos, it should take a heck of a lot more than ONE quick blow to take it down ! Its killed off before it can even do ANY kind of damage ! It took the Krakin and Kronos all that effort to rise up out of the sea and a volcano, and it just takes that ONE blow ?! Let 'em destroy something, and BATTLE it a little, before the magic blow! Other than that 4-stars!
post #13 of 19 Old 04-02-2012, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreHD View Post

Critics are pounding the movie

Critics will always pound on a movie like this; they have a snobbish aversion to anything with even a whiff of commercial potential or that dares to be nothing more than entertaining, escapist fare. I avoid critics like the plague.
post #14 of 19 Old 04-02-2012, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post

Popout doesn't need to be gimmicky. Film makers just need to learn how to do it right. And they should figure it out, because quite often people judge a 3D movie based on how much popout it has. Personally, I love the depth that 3D can give, but a lot of people I talk to tell me that they don't notice it being 3D unless there's popout.

Oh im with you, I love the depth, as well as the popout, it just adds another level to the image and when used right it can give additional detail to what the film maker may want to emphasize in a scene. I just don't think there are a lot of good 3d film makers YET. Hopefully that changes but it would appear that even 3d as good as it is today is not going to be embraced by the masses as long as they have to put a pair of spectacles on to enjoy the spectacle that is 3d.

Man I just want the whole world to be able to behold the beauty of 3d.
post #15 of 19 Old 04-04-2012, 08:16 AM

Liked: 13
How about a spoiler alert next time, andre.....poor form.
post #16 of 19 Old 04-04-2012, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydp View Post

critics will always pound on a movie like this; they have a snobbish aversion to anything with even a whiff of commercial potential or that dares to be nothing more than entertaining, escapist fare. I avoid critics like the plague.

+1
post #17 of 19 Old 04-11-2012, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I saw this Easter Sunday with the wife. We both like Clash very much and liked this one also but found Clash to be better cause of the characters that were in it were more interesting. As for the 3D Wrath won that one.
post #18 of 19 Old 04-20-2012, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post

How about a spoiler alert next time, andre.....poor form.

He just loved it, couldn't contain himself, thanks to Andre it is as if I have seen it - I will save few bucks
post #19 of 19 Old 04-20-2012, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

Critics will always pound on a movie like this; they have a snobbish aversion to anything with even a whiff of commercial potential or that dares to be nothing more than entertaining, escapist fare. I avoid critics like the plague.

While I agree with the comment on the critics, I don't think that means this movie isn't deserving of criticism either. It certainly wasn't all that entertaining.

The Hodor Theater - In Progress
Projector - Panasonic PT-AE8000U
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT
Surround/Back Speakers - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M
Subwoofers - Dual Passive JTR Captivator Pros
Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR608
Reply 3D Content

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page