Sammy's Adventure - Best Buy - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 04-02-2012, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I was messing around and found this link to Best Buy's 'Around the World in 50 Years 3-D Sammy's Adventure' for $14.99. The picture of the box shows only the blu-ray version but the description has 3-D in it. Also states that the movie comes out 04/03, which is tomorrow so this would be sweet if it is for $14.99, but most likely is not. The details also show only the blu-ray version whereas other 3D movies will list blu-ray 3D.

bestbuy.com/site/Around+the+World+in+50+Years+3-D+-+Blu-ray+Disc/4861451.p?id=2381530&skuId=4861451&st=3d&lp=1&cp=1

I've been reading the threads and a few ppl mention this has some of the best 3D scenes and usage. I just saw Hugo 3D last night and man, that movie has some very good use of 3D, definitely one of the best.

I've been trying to get more 3D content, but paying around $34.99 for each movie is ridonkulous! I was lucky enough to find a couple on Craigslist for much cheaper. I have Tin Tin 3D and will be watching that next sometime this week.

Anyhow, I'll probably stop by BB tomorrow to see if the movie is out and if the 3D version is truly this cheap. I won't expect it though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 04-02-2012, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think you will find this is the "old" style 3d with the blue & red paper glasses - not the newer style 3d.
post #3 of 23 Old 04-02-2012, 06:30 PM

Liked: 16
Looks like just the 2D version if the box art is correct. Blu-ray.com recently reviewed that version (release date: 4/3/12), and there's no 3D of any format on the disc.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/A-Turt.../36842/#Review
post #4 of 23 Old 04-03-2012, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I ordered mine from HK. The 3D effects are amazing, but the movies itself is okay. Just put mine up on eBay.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #5 of 23 Old 04-03-2012, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkoman View Post

I'll probably stop by BB tomorrow to see if the movie is out and if the 3D version is truly this cheap. I won't expect it though.

Yes, it sounds like an error by their advertising department. I've not seen any mention of the 3D version about to be released in the USA anytime soon. My copy came from Hong Kong and seems to work fine here, although it took a few weeks to arrive.

oz
post #6 of 23 Old 04-03-2012, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I just ordered one from eBay from the UK for 24.75 shipped.
post #7 of 23 Old 04-03-2012, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 68
That's fine if you can do multi-region, as I believe the UK BD is region B locked.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #8 of 23 Old 04-03-2012, 09:35 AM

The one you link is the 2D version, I've seen it for sale in the states before. It's clearly marked in the yellow highlighted bar across the top. In the highlighted area on my case says "BLU-RAY 3D + 2D SPECIAL VERSION," exactly as quoted.

Edit: I'm not sure if it's a mistake but I've seen this before on other titles. Once I ordered one of those titles and I got the 2D version, possibly a mistake that creates more sales for them, if it's on purpose or not it certainly benefits them with a few additional sales.
post #9 of 23 Old 04-03-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walk_Good View Post

The one you link is the 2D version, I've seen it for sale in the states before. It's clearly marked in the yellow highlighted bar across the top. In the highlighted area on my case says "BLU-RAY 3D + 2D SPECIAL VERSION," exactly as quoted.

Edit: I'm not sure if it's a mistake but I've seen this before on other titles. Once I ordered one of those titles and I got the 2D version, possibly a mistake that creates more sales for them, if it's on purpose or not it certainly benefits them with a few additional sales.

I just canceled the order. There must be another version that others are getting here in the states.
post #10 of 23 Old 04-03-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

I just canceled the order. There must be another version that others are getting here in the states.

Both of these are region A for USA, I got mine at ddhouse.

Sammy's Adventure:
DDHouse: http://dddhouse.com/v3/product_detai...roductID=12014
Vesasia: http://www.yesasia.com/us/sammys-adv...0-en/info.html

also you can download from Vudu
post #11 of 23 Old 04-03-2012, 11:07 AM

Vudu has it for $21.99...is it the same quality as the hard copy? Do you DL it to a hard drive?
post #12 of 23 Old 04-03-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadowlands View Post

Vudu has it for $21.99...is it the same quality as the hard copy? Do you DL it to a hard drive?

AFAIK it is the same quality (per what I've read on this site) but I did not DL my copy. I bought the disk and haven't ripped it yet, but so far all my ripped movies aren't 3D so I couldn't say how well they play.
post #13 of 23 Old 04-03-2012, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walk_Good View Post

Both of these are region A for USA, I got mine at ddhouse.

Sammy's Adventure:

Vesasia: http://www.yesasia.com/us/sammys-adv...0-en/info.html

That's where mine came from. It took a couple of weeks to reach me and they did not provide a tracking number, but it was delivered and works fine, so it sounds like ddhouse and yesasia are good options for now.

oz
post #14 of 23 Old 04-03-2012, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajleske View Post

I think you will find this is the "old" style 3d with the blue & red paper glasses - not the newer style 3d.

Didn't even occur to me I was assuming with the new 3D technology, that the old red/blue glasses were a thing of the past, but I guess there are still some movies coming out to disc which use this technology. Seems a little odd, but I guess for less blockbuster type movies, this works.

Need to stop by BB this week and pick up Harry Potter Deathly Hallows Part 2 3D for $9.99 and see if I can find this movie anywhere. Highly doubtful, but worth a try.

post #15 of 23 Old 04-03-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozar View Post

That's where mine came from. It took a couple of weeks to reach me and they did not provide a tracking number, but it was delivered and works fine, so it sounds like ddhouse and yesasia are good options for now.

ddhouse provided a tracking number and the disk was in NY within 2 days but took an additional 6 days to get to my front door in FL.
post #16 of 23 Old 04-09-2012, 06:46 AM

Liked: 15
Rented this from VUDU last night for $6.99 HDX quality. Movie (3D wise) is fantastic with an extremely enjoyable (as much as kid cartoons can be) story line. Others on here have said that this is the best 3D movie they have ever seen and I am inclined to agree with them. I will quote another member when they said it was like the movie was taking place in their living room. The characters were half way out of the screen the entire movie and the depth was also incredible. I have seen ~ 70 odd movies and this was easily one of the best for 3D pop and depth.
post #17 of 23 Old 04-09-2012, 06:52 AM

Is it worth $21.99 to buy or just rent it?
post #18 of 23 Old 04-09-2012, 09:47 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Is it worth $21.99 to buy or just rent it?

If you have young children it may get repeated watches, or if you have a lot of guests come over that may be worth it just to have a showoff piece for the 3d this film offers, but all others should be ok with a rental.
post #19 of 23 Old 04-09-2012, 10:11 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermr2 View Post

Rented this from VUDU last night for $6.99 HDX quality. Movie (3D wise) is fantastic with an extremely enjoyable (as much as kid cartoons can be) story line. Others on here have said that this is the best 3D movie they have ever seen and I am inclined to agree with them. I will quote another member when they said it was like the movie was taking place in their living room. The characters were half way out of the screen the entire movie and the depth was also incredible. I have seen ~ 70 odd movies and this was easily one of the best for 3D pop and depth.

seriously, there is always something popping outta the screen. i really enjoy the sequence at around the 14 minute mark. i watched with my younger cousins and they were reaching out trying to grab stuff.
post #20 of 23 Old 04-10-2012, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange11 View Post

Looks like just the 2D version if the box art is correct. Blu-ray.com recently reviewed that version (release date: 4/3/12), and there's no 3D of any format on the disc...

...so did anyone take a chance an order this disc or has anyone gone into a BB and looked at it to see which version it is?
post #21 of 23 Old 04-10-2012, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

...so did anyone take a chance an order this disc or has anyone gone into a BB and looked at it to see which version it is?

I was in BB the other day and it is the 2D version.
post #22 of 23 Old 04-10-2012, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I too stopped by BB last week and it was only the 2D version. It's good that it is actually out on VUDU. I think they have the best quality movies and 3D streaming at the moment with good sound as well. I may have to rent this and pick it up when it comes out to the states, but would rather wait for the 3D bluray version though. It will definitely be a keeper for my nieces and nephews (actually for me!)

post #23 of 23 Old 04-10-2012, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

I was in BB the other day and it is the 2D version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkoman View Post

Yeah, I too stopped by BB last week and it was only the 2D version. It's good that it is actually out on VUDU. I think they have the best quality movies and 3D streaming at the moment with good sound as well....

To bad on the BB disc. I may watch it on VUDU but while 2D is top notch (for streaming), 3D is SbS and 1/2 resolution.
Reply 3D Content

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page