post #61 of 117 Old 05-07-2012, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferl View Post

I was wrong. This is a conversion that's worth seeing. I enjoy this genre and as others have pointed out, it did not disappoint. Very good movie and The Hulk has his moments as do the other characters. This is the first acceptable conversion I've seen.

What version of 3D did you see?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 117 Old 05-07-2012, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My back wasn't feeling to great this weekend so I didn't want to battle any crowds, but I made it tonight and I have a two word review. Pure fun!
post #63 of 117 Old 05-07-2012, 10:13 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickMcKaha View Post

I found The Avengers to be great fun, and I loved the application of 3D even though it was a conversion. But in our theater, the dark scenes were too dark. That last scene, for example, with the bad guy smiling, I could barely see his lips. Was it not that way for everyone?

Not a problem at all at my local IMAX. It was plenty bright. Not once did I question or think it was lacking good brightness. Score!!
post #64 of 117 Old 05-08-2012, 04:33 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

What version of 3D did you see?

We saw the IMAX. It was in a converted theater, but it was fine. They had a RealD version there also. This was the first movie we've seen at this theater since they added the IMAX. I prefer movies at home even though I come no where near the theater experience, but I wanted to see this at the theater. I'm glad I didn't choose the 2D. This movie got me to the theater as will Prometheus and Batman.

post #65 of 117 Old 05-08-2012, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickMcKaha View Post

I found The Avengers to be great fun, and I loved the application of 3D even though it was a conversion. But in our theater, the dark scenes were too dark. That last scene, for example, with the bad guy smiling, I could barely see his lips. Was it not that way for everyone?

Not in the theater I saw it in. The problem there was you couldn't understand half of what was said.
post #66 of 117 Old 05-08-2012, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferl View Post

We saw the IMAX. It was in a converted theater, but it was fine. They had a RealD version there also. This was the first movie we've seen at this theater since they added the IMAX. I prefer movies at home even though I come no where near the theater experience, but I wanted to see this at the theater. I'm glad I didn't choose the 2D. This movie got me to the theater as will Prometheus and Batman.

Thanks for the reply, and herein lies the problem. To me, 3D technology is a great gimmick but not practical at least not until there's a way to do it without the glasses and it becomes universal meaning for example, one blu ray disc (and tv) with the option to view as you wish when you wish. So admittedly I'm biased (against) going into the handful of 3D presentations I've seen. And aside from an effect here and there, I've been pretty underwhelmed and distracted with a feeling of limited entertainment value. But my kids think it's fun so hey, there are more important things in life, which was my mindset going into The Avengers. But because of what I expected this movie to be and the subsequent buzz I thought I'd "do it up" as far as the experience goes and pop for IMAX 3D, which I've never done. I was so impressed that now, Prometheus, Batman, Spiderman, etc. are really calling me to go IMAX again. Of course, this is more expensive on top of what I regard as ridiculously expensive prices for 2D. And it's appearing that regular, or Real 3D just isn't getting it done so there's "pressure" to bump up to IMAX.

I smell a rat! It's a conspiracy I tell ya!
post #67 of 117 Old 05-08-2012, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 40
While I never felt 3D was a gimmick, I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. That's what it's all about. I enjoyed the movie also and it felt good to be in a theater with others watching it. And, there are other good movies on the way for the summer of 2012.
post #68 of 117 Old 05-08-2012, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

You have repeated something that many others have said and that's that it was nice to be in a theater with others watching/enjoying the movie. I think this is very telling these days. Granted, sitting in a movie theater isn't exactly social interaction, it is still social. We build our home theaters and use these forums and social networks to tell people about it and withdraw from society. The idea of going out to a crowded, over priced theater just isn't worth it compared to the product. I get the feeling times, and people are changing.
post #69 of 117 Old 05-08-2012, 11:43 AM

Liked: 10
note the twist on the title.
For a look at some thoughts on what Cinematographers and/or 3D aficionados...here's a snippet from my review (specifically on the stereoscopic 3D aspects)

The first image in this article shows what happens when you ‘Wall paper” the background into place. This was clearly noticeable in many of the Calcutta scenes, starting with Bruce Banner washing his hands/face and later when he’s in intense dialog with Scarlett in the run down shack. All that beautiful realism and immersion of the setting… reduced to flat draped wall paper in the background in many shots.

Is the background necessary when the Director wants the viewers to look at the characters speaking? You as a Cinematographer have to decide that.

No one has yet done conclusive studies of any distracting effect that peripheral or background imagery in abnormal stereoscopic 3D can have on the average audience.

My Hypothesis is that it can lead to “Dialog Processing Lag” in the brain.

The human visual cortex has been programmed over millions of years, to assess threat in the real world stereoscopically. Any anomaly in stereoscopic 3D would lead to a conversation between eye and brain as follows:

Examine scene—>Hmm, Scarlett! (Human)—->re-examine scene (as something looks odd in the background)—>discard—->concentrate back on Scarlett’s pout. = Dialog Lag. Of course all this happening in micro seconds.

Admittedly to a stereographer this is very disconcerting, being trained to look for anomalies, but the Cinematographer has to ask these questions:

Read the rest here: (sorry I cant post full URL's as AVSforum wont let me yet. Fill in the url blanks below on the bit(dot)ly address)

http bit[dot]ly/Ju1GrP
post #70 of 117 Old 05-08-2012, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Movie was awesome!
Audience made it more awesome!
3D was great for a conversion!
Go see it!
post #71 of 117 Old 05-09-2012, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTV View Post

Saw it in the RPX 3D theatre today. 3D OK, but sound in the RPX theatre was phenomenal. On par with the recent 3D Transformers flick both as to 3D, content, and presentation. Have to admit I enjoyed watching Cameron's 3D Titanic much better but that is comparing apples to oranges. The script attempted to be a parody from time to time, but such attempts were few and far between and failed to be consistent and actually ended up as distractions. Would have been better as an all out spoof on superheroes but the film just couldn't get away from taking itself too seriously. In the end all we got were some lame laughs. Captain America without the mishmash of characters was better suited to the genre. The interplay between the Superheroes as attempted "character development" was just too contrived. How many more "Superhero' movies do we have to see which all have the same message - "Superheros are flawed and mortal just like us."

Sounds like this is worth a resee in IMAX 3D.
post #72 of 117 Old 05-09-2012, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by realvision View Post

note the twist on the title.
For a look at some thoughts on what Cinematographers and/or 3D aficionados...here's a snippet from my review (specifically on the stereoscopic 3D aspects)

The first image in this article shows what happens when you Wall paper the background into place. This was clearly noticeable in many of the Calcutta scenes, starting with Bruce Banner washing his hands/face and later when he's in intense dialog with Scarlett in the run down shack. All that beautiful realism and immersion of the setting reduced to flat draped wall paper in the background in many shots.

Is the background necessary when the Director wants the viewers to look at the characters speaking? You as a Cinematographer have to decide that.

No one has yet done conclusive studies of any distracting effect that peripheral or background imagery in abnormal stereoscopic 3D can have on the average audience.

My Hypothesis is that it can lead to Dialog Processing Lag in the brain.

The human visual cortex has been programmed over millions of years, to assess threat in the real world stereoscopically. Any anomaly in stereoscopic 3D would lead to a conversation between eye and brain as follows:

Examine scene>Hmm, Scarlett! (Human)->re-examine scene (as something looks odd in the background)>discard->concentrate back on Scarlett's pout. = Dialog Lag. Of course all this happening in micro seconds.

Admittedly to a stereographer this is very disconcerting, being trained to look for anomalies, but the Cinematographer has to ask these questions:

Read the rest here: (sorry I cant post full URL's as AVSforum wont let me yet. Fill in the url blanks below on the bit(dot)ly address)

http bit[dot]ly/Ju1GrP

Here's the link:

http://realvision.ae/blog/2012/05/av...ereoscopic-3d/

I also recommend that people follow you on twitter for your updates. I started following you a few months ago.

https://twitter.com/#!/cly3d

My Videos

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

post #73 of 117 Old 05-10-2012, 01:57 AM

Thank you Cakefoo
Very kind of you!
post #74 of 117 Old 05-16-2012, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CureMode View Post

I usually wait a week or two, but the kids wanted to see opening weekend. We were 1/2 hour early with pre-purchased tickets, but they had everyone lineup outside the theater. When they let us in it filled up quick and I thought the seats we got were acceptable. I forgot to mention that the bottom 10% of the screen was also cut off from where we were sitting, and we couldn't read the parts during the interrogation scene that were subtitled. If IMAX certifies a theater doesn't it mean that every seat should be at least acceptable? I have my letter written and I am sending it to Regal Corp, the theater, and IMAX corp. I'll post if they do respond.

Actually got a response to my complaint letter from both Regal and IMAX. Regal apologized and sent me 4 free unrestricted IMAX passes. IMAX corp actually called me and wanted more details on the nature of the issue. They said they would be re-evaluating the theater and check their system. I told them about the double image and the seats cutting off the bottom 10% or so of the screen. I also told them I could see the projector filter for 3D being engaged and disengaged at least 3 times during the trailers, and the tech I spoke to said that was very odd. They said they appreciated me contacting them directly, because they rarely have issues relayed to them from the theaters themselves.

Thank You
Chris Feehan
501st\ECG - TK6744
http://www.curemode.com
post #75 of 117 Old 05-16-2012, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

A tip of the cap to both Regal and IMAX. Hopefully, and I won't assume otherwise, they'll troubleshoot your concerns and better the theater(s).
post #76 of 117 Old 05-18-2012, 03:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Went last night to to my local Regal RPX theater. Real fun movie, I was really impressed with the 3D conversion. IMO, one of the best conversions to date. Brightness was not an issue with 3D, picture was perfect. Soundtrack sounded awesome in Dolby 7.1! I actually felt LFE just like I do in my home theater

"The powerful will be ripped from their decadent nests. And cast out into the cold world that we know and endure. Courts will be convened. Spoils will be enjoyed!"

-Bane

post #77 of 117 Old 05-18-2012, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrisoner View Post

Went last night to to my local Regal RPX theater. Real fun movie, I was really impressed with the 3D conversion. IMO, one of the best conversions to date. Brightness was not an issue with 3D, picture was perfect. Soundtrack sounded awesome in Dolby 7.1! I actually felt LFE just like I do in my home theater

Is RPX compatible with RealD? I want to bring my good glasses.
post #78 of 117 Old 05-18-2012, 09:06 AM

I think the IMAX I went to at the Regal by me used the yellow rimmed glasses that use Linear Polarization not Circular Polarization. I had snagged a pair of them at Underworld, and when I tried them on my Passive 3DTV the did not work. I would assume the reverse would also be true, that RealD glasses would not work for that theater. Not sure what system the RPX (Regal Premium Experience) uses, it may vary from theater to theater.

Thank You
Chris Feehan
501st\ECG - TK6744
http://www.curemode.com
post #79 of 117 Old 05-18-2012, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjktcvs View Post

Is RPX compatible with RealD? I want to bring my good glasses.

I believe so. The glasses were RealD we received last night. The only case where RealD won't work would be IMAX 3D.

"The powerful will be ripped from their decadent nests. And cast out into the cold world that we know and endure. Courts will be convened. Spoils will be enjoyed!"

-Bane

post #80 of 117 Old 05-21-2012, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

September 25th!!!

PETER JACKSON: The theatrical versions are the definitive versions.
post #81 of 117 Old 05-21-2012, 03:47 PM

The 3D at the cinema is practically undetectable for most of the film. Scaled down to a TV it will be as flat as a pancake. You won't tell the difference from 2D.
post #82 of 117 Old 05-21-2012, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 29
It might just be your eyes. I maybe caught one shot that lacked depth. I definitely notice 2D when I see it interwoven between 3D clips.

My Videos

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

post #83 of 117 Old 05-21-2012, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I've seen it three times already in 3D and I was satisfied with the conversion job. There were some great shots throughout, but it was the climax that had the best use of 3D.

PETER JACKSON: The theatrical versions are the definitive versions.
post #84 of 117 Old 05-22-2012, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musictechguy View Post

The 3D at the cinema is practically undetectable for most of the film. Scaled down to a TV it will be as flat as a pancake. You won't tell the difference from 2D.

Did you ever stop to think it may be the theatre you saw it in, or your eyes, that was the problem?

If I hadn't known it was conversion going in, I would have thought it was natively shot in 3D.

I have a feeling it will look just fine "scaled down" to my 8 foot screen at home.
post #85 of 117 Old 05-22-2012, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

Did you ever stop to think it may be the theatre you saw it in, or your eyes, that was the problem?

If I hadn't known it was conversion going in, I would have thought it was natively shot in 3D.

I have a feeling it will look just fine "scaled down" to my 8 foot screen at home.

I would have to agree. This is the first conversion that I find acceptable. At some point in this movie I forgot I was at a 3D presenation. That's what I want. I want to be immersed in the movie and not have crap keep reminding me that I'm watching a 3D movie.

post #86 of 117 Old 05-22-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantchicken View Post

There were some great shots throughout, but it was the climax that had the best use of 3D.

The climax was mostly CGI, so no surprise it had the best 3D, since I doubt there was much conversion needed. The same holds true for most of the action scenes throughout the movie.
post #87 of 117 Old 05-22-2012, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
2nd best conversion after AIW.
post #88 of 117 Old 05-23-2012, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post

3D doesn't equal = Popping out of the screen.

+1

This 3D presentation (IMAX only from my experience) is all about depth and realism.
post #89 of 117 Old 05-23-2012, 04:04 PM

Liked: 47
Even without seeing Avengers I can already tell that its going to disappoint me as a 3D movie.

Pace/Cameron spent YEARS learning how to shoot in 3D and even they will acknowledge that they still have more to learn. Seamus McGarvey on the other hand shot "A little Trailer" in 3D at the end of Thor and said it was like pulling teeth!

Years (Pace/Cameron) versus a three week crash course (Seamus McGarvey!

The fact is that Seamus McGarvey has no real 3D experience to speak of. How then is he supposed to think like a 3D cinematographer? The answer is he cannot hope to do so!

I see lots stills taken from the movie with characters in the foreground shot with a narrow depth of field and flat out of focus backgrounds. That works for 2D movies but not for 3D ones.

I read reviews where people mention some shots looking rather flat whilst others are full of depth. That is a classic problem with conversions. Inconsistent 3D from one scene to another.

Had Seamus McGarvey chosen to shoot in 3D instead of 2D he would have learned to compose shots in 3D, learned on the fly what works and what doesn't work and the result would be a far more consistent 3D experience.

As it is he admits that the 3D course terrified him so I guess it’s no surprise he chose to stick to what he knows, 2D. I cannot help thinking though that if you want a car taken from A to B you hire a car driver, not a motor cyclist and if you want to shoot a 3D movie, you hire a 3D cinematographer, not a 2D one.
post #90 of 117 Old 05-23-2012, 05:41 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcdesign View Post

Even without seeing Avengers I can already tell that its going to disappoint me as a 3D movie.

You sound a little bitter? Are you a cinematographer who applied but lost out on the job to Seamus?

If I wake up in the morning with a positive attitude I can have a positive day.
If I wake up all pissed off and decide im gonna be pissed I usually am all day long.

My point? You already don't want to even enjoy the 3d experience that is there and have decided, without seeing it, to make pre-determined conclusions.

Am I wrong?
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page