The Avengers 3D reviews! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 117 Old 04-23-2012, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Post them here! Also, anyone see those cool 3D Avengers glasses that you can get when you see the movie...
Any way to tell what theaters will have these glasses?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 117 Old 04-23-2012, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Yawn- from what I read, it is a 2D-3D conversion. I refuse to pay extra to see fake 3D.
post #3 of 117 Old 04-23-2012, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtishd View Post

Post them here! Also, anyone see those cool 3D Avengers glasses that you can get when you see the movie...
Any way to tell what theaters will have these glasses?

I know they have those glasses for folks attending their marathon if it hasn't occured yet. I'd like to have 1 pair of each of those glasses. I'm sure they know folks want those glasses who don't attend the marathon. I aint going to no marathon but I want those glasses. (lol)
post #4 of 117 Old 04-23-2012, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

I know they have those glasses for folks attending their marathon if it hasn't occured yet. I'd like to have 1 pair of each of those glasses. I'm sure they know folks want those glasses who don't attend the marathon. I aint going to no marathon but I want those glasses. (lol)

Me too! I really want a couple pairs of each. Anyone out there have access?
post #5 of 117 Old 04-23-2012, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclark View Post

yawn- from what i read, it is a 2d-3d conversion. I refuse to pay extra to see fake 3d.

fail
post #6 of 117 Old 04-25-2012, 06:35 AM

Looks like the limited edition 3D Avengers glasses are only availale with the premier screenings in the UK and not on general cinema release. Damn!
post #7 of 117 Old 04-25-2012, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

They should make a limited amount of the glasses available for purchase. They know good n well that folks who aren't attending want those darn glasses. People like you and me and there's Joe down the street with his sons (lol).
post #8 of 117 Old 04-26-2012, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophion75 View Post

fail

No fail, cheap 3d conversions are intended to fleece ignorant movie goers out of extra cash. If people stop paying extra to see crappy 3d conversions, then the studios would be more likely to FILM in REAL 3D.
For saying "fail", you deserved be punished by being forced to watch the 3d converted version of "Clash of the Titans", over and over!!
post #9 of 117 Old 04-26-2012, 04:22 PM

Liked: 16
3D conversions aren't cheap.
post #10 of 117 Old 04-26-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclark View Post

No fail, cheap 3d conversions are intended to fleece ignorant movie goers out of extra cash. If people stop paying extra to see crappy 3d conversions, then the studios would be more likely to FILM in REAL 3D.
For saying "fail", you deserved be punished by being forced to watch the 3d converted version of "Clash of the Titans", over and over!!

His response was short but I... think what he was trying to say is that you're saying you "read" about this conversion. But some of us have seen the 3D previews in the theater and, at least to me, they looked really good.

Not all conversions are horrible like Clash of the Titans so my philosophy is to spend the $11 matinee to watch and make my own decision. But if the previews were any indication I think I'll be very happy with 3D of this movie.
post #11 of 117 Old 04-26-2012, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange11 View Post

3D conversions aren't cheap.

Kopi luwak isn't cheap either

post #12 of 117 Old 04-27-2012, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Cinemablend put up one of their 3D or not 3D reviews for Avengers. They give the 3D a positive - but not glowing - review, writing that there isn't much in the way of pop outs but depth is good, especially during the action sequences.

Sounds to me to be on par with Captain America which was also a good conversion with the best scenes occurring during the action.

Here's a link to the review:
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/3D-Or...ket-30660.html
post #13 of 117 Old 05-01-2012, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
2D for me on this one. I am too excited about the content to be bothered in case there is bad 3D.
post #14 of 117 Old 05-01-2012, 04:40 PM

Good conversion/ bad conversion?...it doesn't matter! For studios, 3D brings in the bucks. Look at how much $$$ Titanic 3D has grossed so far. 3D coversions are pure economic play for studios. As more people are exposed to 3D and become more discriminating in their viewing habits, then studios will hopefully put out less conversions and more native 3D flicks.
post #15 of 117 Old 05-03-2012, 11:01 AM

I live in Mexico and The Avengers was released here last week. I saw it this weekend expecting great 3D but was really disappointed. There was no real depth and it just distracted me from really enjoying the movie. I recommend 2D for this one.
post #16 of 117 Old 05-03-2012, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Does anyone know if a theater will give a refund (at least of the difference from 2D) if a 3D performance is not up to expectations?
post #17 of 117 Old 05-03-2012, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

Does anyone know if a theater will give a refund (at least of the difference from 2D) if a 3D performance is not up to expectations?

A conversion is not the fault of the theater. 3D performance is relative to the individual. Can you get a partial refund if a comedy isn't funny enough? My daughter worked at a local theater when she was in high school. She came home with stories of ridiculous refund requests. This could have been one of her stories.

post #18 of 117 Old 05-03-2012, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferl View Post

A conversion is not the fault of the theater. 3D performance is relative to the individual. Can you get a partial refund if a comedy isn't funny enough? My daughter worked at a local theater when she was in high school. She came home with stories of ridiculous refund requests. This could have been one of her stories.

But funny is subjective, 3D, not so much. We don't pay extra for a the laughs but we do pay extra for the 3D effect. We agree that it's not the fault of the theater but the theater would reconcile such a dispute with the studios, would they not?

Keep in mind, I'm bringing up this topic only as a "what if" scenario. I haven't yet seen the movie and I have no expectation that there won't be some level of positive 3D effect.
post #19 of 117 Old 05-03-2012, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

But funny is subjective, 3D, not so much. We don't pay extra for a the laughs but we do pay extra for the 3D effect. We agree that it's not the fault of the theater but the theater would reconcile such a dispute with the studios, would they not?

Keep in mind, I'm bringing up this topic only as a "what if" scenario. I haven't yet seen the movie and I have no expectation that there won't be some level of positive 3D effect.

I think the 3D effect is subjective. Some folks aren't happy with 3D unless objects are poking at them from the screen. I'm the opposite. I find "pop gimmicks" annoying. If they reimburse me the difference in cost of the ticket because I was annoyed by poking objects, the studios would tell them to take a hike.

Agreed this is a "what if" scenario. As petty as this may sound, knowing it's a conversion is enough for me to choose the 2D presentation. And I'm in the 3D fan base. I wouldn't order a cheeseburger, eat it, and ask for a refund on the cost of the cheese if I thought the cheese could have been better.

post #20 of 117 Old 05-04-2012, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I go to different theaters and one of them Classic Cinema (Chicagoland) gives you 30 minutes to decide if you want a refund with no questions asked. Pretty liberal to me.
post #21 of 117 Old 05-04-2012, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

watch it in 2d, 3d is a waste... not alot of 3d scenes that pop out to you

2011 SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS- New York Giants!!!

Gamertag: GENERAL CUPKAKE
post #22 of 117 Old 05-04-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:

But funny is subjective, 3D, not so much.

If 3d was not subjective, then there would only be one post in the "Best 3d blu ray movie so far for 3d effects", not 789 different posts with different suggestions/preferences.
post #23 of 117 Old 05-04-2012, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think the 3D effect is subjective. Some folks aren't happy with 3D unless objects are poking at them from the screen. I'm the opposite. I find "pop gimmicks" annoying. If they reimburse me the difference in cost of the ticket because I was annoyed by poking objects, the studios would tell them to take a hike.

Agreed this is a "what if" scenario. As petty as this may sound, knowing it's a conversion is enough for me to choose the 2D presentation. And I'm in the 3D fan base. I wouldn't order a cheeseburger, eat it, and ask for a refund on the cost of the cheese if I thought the cheese could have been better.

LOL! Just for kicks I might have to try that with a cheeseburger.

I'm actually not even a fan of 3D. IMO it just doesn't add anything to the experience and I in fact, I find the glasses themselves to be more of a distraction than anything. IMO, 3D's highest and best use is for previews. And as far as the "pop out gimmick" is concerned, I understand some will do that and others will only offer depth. My point is as long as it's perceptible then an upcharge can be justified. To use your example again, if I order a cheeseburger and can't tell (visually or orally) that there is cheese on it then I might speak with the manager. But if I order a cheddar cheeseburger and it comes with mild cheddar and I was expecting sharp cheddar then I don't think I would have much of an argument.

I use that example to say that while I'm not really a supporter of 3D, my kids like the glasses and if there are any effects of course so I just call it a "treat". But when I'm sitting there and see no difference in the presentation and my 6 year old is sitting there looking over the top of his glasses because he's thinking the same thing then it makes one question. I've been to maybe five or six 3D presentations, one offered defined "depth" and one offered "pop out" (for about a third of the film anyway). The rest, I felt I might as well had paid for the 2D version.

This is a long winded post, I apologize, but this comes from the perspective that my kids, my girlfriend and I very much enjoy these movies and have long been looking forward to The Avengers release. Because of this and what it appears to be (if you believe what you read about it) I wanted to make it a memorable experience so I've decided to pop for an IMAX 3D showing, which we've never done. I don't need crap to pop out at me, I just want an enhanced experience and relative to our Real 3D theater, I'm hoping the IMAX 3D will offer a little more. If not, I might be tempted to ask for a discount on a concession or something.
post #24 of 117 Old 05-04-2012, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post

If 3d was not subjective, then there would only be one post in the "Best 3d blu ray movie so far for 3d effects", not 789 different posts with different suggestions/preferences.

The difference here is that the suggestions and preferences are based on a tangible effect. There is a tangible difference between dvd and blu ray. What 3D offers is just as tangible. It's measurable. The picture is either different or it isn't. Now the details within (enhanced depth vs. pop out and the degree to each) is a totally different argument in that it becomes subjective. You may like pop out and I may like the depth elements better. No one is wrong and no one is right. I saw Think like a man last week and thought it was the funniest movie I've seen in nearly 10 years. You might not think it's funny at all. We each have our preferences for humor that are subjective.
post #25 of 117 Old 05-04-2012, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Contrary to what you or your daughter may believe, the reality is that many quality theater chains and independent house management will gladly and willingly provide refunds to patrons who feel their movie viewing "experience" was poor. The various reasons that patrons provide for their poor "experience" range from reasonable to absurd depending on one's perspective. Example...the light from my cell phone may not bug you during the movie...but someone else is really annoyed by it.

Given that movie goers have a choice of paying a 25-50-% premium to see a movie in 3D vs 2D, it is not unreasonable for a patron to state that the viewing experience was poor if a 3D showing is absolutely terrible and not worth the premium to them.

They are not entitled to or owed a refund...but clearly they can request it of management that wants this feedback. And many do...
post #26 of 117 Old 05-04-2012, 09:31 AM

Has anyone tried the RPX 3D version of this movie? I have not tried it for my local theatre just had this new RPX 3D and they are showing the Avengers 3D on it. They said they even customized the 'room' specifically for this RPX system. Is this RPX 3D better than IMAX 3D? What is the difference? They are claiming RPX has a bright projection and excellent sounds? I might give it a try this weekend.

Sony XBR-55HX929 review

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #27 of 117 Old 05-04-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edtorious View Post

Has anyone tried the RPX 3D version of this movie? I have not tried it for my local theatre just had this new RPX 3D and they are showing the Avengers 3D on it. They said they even customized the 'room' specifically for this RPX system. Is this RPX 3D better than IMAX 3D? What is the difference? They are claiming RPX has a bright projection and excellent sounds? I might give it a try this weekend.

It's a polarized system where they use two projectors. It makes the picture brighter. While I have not seen The Avengers in this format, I did see Wrath of the Titans in this format. The picture does seem brighter than Real3D, but I don't think the 3D is any worse or better.
post #28 of 117 Old 05-04-2012, 06:26 PM

Liked: 11
just got back from watching the avengers at an IMAX 3d theater. the trailers for spiderman, brave, and prometheus looked fantastic.

The depth in avengers was really good, and some scenes had pop out. my friend on the other hand watched it at a midnight showing at a smaller theater, because he didnt want to wait in line for 2 hours, and said the 3d at the theater he saw it at had no depth.

anyways he went with me today to see it a 2nd time, and he said the 3d was better at the theater we went to today. i never knew that movie theaters would have a different 3d result.

3d or not, i really really enjoyed this movie. the action was very good, and finally there is a movie that shows what the hulk can really do.
post #29 of 117 Old 05-04-2012, 06:31 PM

Here is Joss Wherons lame excuse for not shooting it in real 3D but instead went the cop out post conversion method:

http://blog.moviefone.com/2010/08/17...n-will-avenge/

You think after 3 years since Avatar came out the process of filming in 3D would have come down by now.
post #30 of 117 Old 05-04-2012, 11:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAVEN56706 View Post

watch it in 2d, 3d is a waste... not alot of 3d scenes that pop out to you

3D doesn't equal = Popping out of the screen.

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Liaison at SpectraCal
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page