Underworld Awakening - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 48 Old 05-13-2012, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
DenisG, thanks for the info, very informative.

IMO, the filmmaker shouldn't really change the 3D to account for display ghosting. We are far enough along now that most displays are really good at minimizing ghosting. Hugo showed ghosting on many displays because it really pushed the 3D, and the results speak for themselves. I'm glad they didn't care if there was ghosting, because we got the best example of non-animated 3D that I've seen.

OTOH, the 3D in this movie was decent, but not really memorable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 Old 05-13-2012, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier1 View Post

DenisG, thanks for the info, very informative.

IMO, the filmmaker shouldn't really change the 3D to account for display ghosting. We are far enough along now that most displays are really good at minimizing ghosting. Hugo showed ghosting on many displays because it really pushed the 3D, and the results speak for themselves. I'm glad they didn't care if there was ghosting, because we got the best example of non-animated 3D that I've seen.

OTOH, the 3D in this movie was decent, but not really memorable.

I don't always watch the extra stuff on the disks, but I did on this one. The one scene they said they had to shot different was a fast panning scene with the vampires and lycon fight at the vampire sanctuary. They said the camera would have to move so fast it would show ghosting and they didn't want that to happen.
post #33 of 48 Old 05-13-2012, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by bontrager View Post

I liked it. Surprised no ones mentioning the previews which were in 3D.

Don't recall any other 3d release showing previews in 3D

Men in Black 3 and the next Resident Evil movie with the cool/sexy Milla Jojovich.

Uhhhh.... think I might have gotten gypped (in more ways than one, maybe). I got my copy from Best Buy and the trailers were definitely NOT in 3d. I remember thinking how odd that was. It was also the first time in a while that I got a single disc with a 3d movie purchase. Both the 3d and 2d versions are on the same disc and there's no DVD or digital copy (as far as I know) included.
post #34 of 48 Old 05-13-2012, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
The copy I have with the 3D trailers is one disc with Ultraviolet digital copy from Amazon.
UPC 0 43396 39801 6
post #35 of 48 Old 05-14-2012, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post

Uhhhh.... think I might have gotten gypped (in more ways than one, maybe). I got my copy from Best Buy and the trailers were definitely NOT in 3d. I remember thinking how odd that was. It was also the first time in a while that I got a single disc with a 3d movie purchase. Both the 3d and 2d versions are on the same disc and there's no DVD or digital copy (as far as I know) included.

I got the exact same disk from Best Buy, and the trailers are in 3D. Must be a setting with your player/TV.
post #36 of 48 Old 05-14-2012, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post

My version was single disc. Im sure it's a player setting on your case. The 3D blus for this movie are all the same. (100% sure of that even though I'm guessing)
post #37 of 48 Old 05-15-2012, 01:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
The movie was just alright, the 3D was crap. I was expecting some things to pop, so many chances and nothing. Depth was alright at times but nothing special. Big let down on the 3D.

3D items I own:

Sony 46" LX900 active 3D set

Sony HMZ-T3 (Cushion pads and light blocker mod)

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Sony BDP-S570 BD3D player

JVC-GS-TD1 (with Cyclopital base extender)

Fujifilm W3

Sony Alpha 55 (for 3D panoramic photos)

Quadcopter + Zenmuse and GoPro Hero 3 (Filming...

post #38 of 48 Old 05-15-2012, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 48
The 3D varies from ok, to quite flat at times and once again far too often, the characters in the foreground were 2D in a 3D environment! So far, very few film makes have pulled off what I call a proper 3D presentation. I think JC & MS are about the only two directors that have as yet.

This 3D release got 4.5 stars for Video on a well known High Def forum incidently so I shall be ignoring reviews for 3D movies by that individual in future. People need to learn to look at 3D with a critical eye, not get wowed by flying cylinders and blood splatters, all the while ignoring obvious flaws in the 3D presentation. This includes out of focus backrounds that work well enough in 2D but utterly fail in 3D movies.

Rather dissapointing.
post #39 of 48 Old 05-17-2012, 05:12 AM

Liked: 10
Have to admit that I wasn't impressed at all with the 3D in this movie either.Seemed more like 2 1/2D to me.
post #40 of 48 Old 05-17-2012, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 50
The problem with a lot of movies, including Underworld: Awakening, is that the framing of shots usually doesn't take advantage of 3D. If you freeze-frame just about any scene in Underworld you'll see the depth, but when in movement the scenery appears flat. In my experience, the movies that work best in 3D, be they native or post-conversions, are the ones where the cinematographer took the time to compose interesting scenes that layered objects and characters at different distances throughout the frame. Alice in Wonderland was a post-conversion but the cinematographer took pains to create some interesting compositions and the final product often ended up looking better than some native 3D presentations.
post #41 of 48 Old 05-18-2012, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
lol I watched it just to see Kate Beckinsale. I was not disappointed.
post #42 of 48 Old 05-21-2012, 03:31 PM

Not an expert on 3D, but the 3D in this Bluray is more noticable than others. I guess movies like Thor, Immortals, and Priest were converted, so the 3D was mostly the people popping out the screen. Thats it...it was like 2D paper cut outs of people with a 3D effect. This movie has ACTION that comes out the screen at you. Not just a 3D dialogue scene . There was some awesome scenes of Kate jumping out the screen to avoid the mega werewolf's claw swipes.
post #43 of 48 Old 05-21-2012, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreHD View Post

Not an expert on 3D, but the 3D in this Bluray is more noticable than others. I guess movies like Thor, Immortals, and Priest were converted, so the 3D was mostly the people popping out the screen. Thats it...it was like 2D paper cut outs of people with a 3D effect. This movie has ACTION that comes out the screen at you. Not just a 3D dialogue scene . There was some awesome scenes of Kate jumping out the screen to avoid the mega werewolf's claw swipes.

Wow, I thought quite the opposite. I thought this film had very nice depth, but that it had a lot of unrealized potential when it came to the pop out.
post #44 of 48 Old 05-22-2012, 06:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 100
We watched the Spiderman 3D Preview three of four times!!!

Build your own Concession Stand Counter for cheap! Search -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #45 of 48 Old 05-22-2012, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

I found the 3D to lack depth and pop...rather flat. However, if your system is prone to crosstalk, there was almost none. Disappointing film as well.
post #46 of 48 Old 05-22-2012, 08:02 AM

There was no crosstalk, cause Sony took out almost all the contrast, making the movie look like crap
post #47 of 48 Old 05-22-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonka702 View Post

Wow, I thought quite the opposite. I thought this film had very nice depth, but that it had a lot of unrealized potential when it came to the pop out.

Just watched this on a new LG last night, I was glad they didn't go overboard on pop out. It always feels gimmicky and pop out strains my eyes.

OIFII vet
USMC Sgt.
post #48 of 48 Old 05-22-2012, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo0285 View Post

There was no crosstalk, cause Sony took out almost all the contrast, making the movie look like crap

Agreed,this was I talked about in my previous posts.I still wonder why many said this 3D/2D set was great picture quality both 3D and 3D.
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page