Underworld Awakening - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 48 Old 04-26-2012, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Nothing special but not sure if many know this, it is available 2weeks before the disc comes out on Vudu. I was bored so I bought it. Decent enough movie that was shot in 3d by a director who obviously didn't have much 3d knowledge or experience or even a desire to wow his audience. That seems to be the major problem with 3d right now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 04-26-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonka702 View Post

Nothing special but not sure if many know this, it is available 2weeks before the disc comes out on Vudu. I was bored so I bought it. Decent enough movie that was shot in 3d by a director who obviously didn't have much 3d knowledge or experience or even a desire to wow his audience. That seems to be the major problem with 3d right now

i didnt watch the whole movie, but i did watch the 1st 5 minutes, and theres a part when she is sitting on a rooftop looking over the city. that scene had a lot of depth, but like i said, i havent watched the whole movie yet.
post #3 of 48 Old 04-26-2012, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalDistortion View Post

i didnt watch the whole movie, but i did watch the 1st 5 minutes, and theres a part when she is sitting on a rooftop looking over the city. that scene had a lot of depth, but like i said, i havent watched the whole movie yet.

That is weird, most of the first (if not all) 5 minutes was 2d. When I did the 2 min preview I almost didn't buy it because of that and then I realized.
post #4 of 48 Old 04-26-2012, 11:43 PM

Quote:

That is weird, most of the first (if not all) 5 minutes was 2d. When I did the 2 min preview I almost didn't buy it because of that and then I realized.

im not sure if it has anything to do withour tvs, but the first scene when she was over looking the city looked really deep. then there was a fuzzy scene explaining what happened to the lycans and vampires. the scene when she broke out, showed a lot of depth too.
post #5 of 48 Old 04-27-2012, 01:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalDistortion View Post

im not sure if it has anything to do withour tvs, but the first scene when she was over looking the city looked really deep. then there was a fuzzy scene explaining what happened to the lycans and vampires. the scene when she broke out, showed a lot of depth too.

Oh i agree the movie had ok depth. I just wasn't wowed. There also seemed to be times when they had legitimate excuses to offer pop-out but chose not to exploit that option.

I read it was filmed with 3d cameras so it wasn't converted so I thought the director had opportunities but didn't understand the power of 3d when used to enhance the backgrounds.

But don't get me wrong, at $21.99 if your gonna watch it with your family, you cant go wrong because at most theatres the 3d upcharge for a family of four is $12.

I wish Vudu got the 3d rights from all the studios because their pricing structure is very reasonable.
post #6 of 48 Old 04-27-2012, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

Decent enough movie that was shot in 3d by a director who obviously didn't have much 3d knowledge or experience or even a desire to wow his audience. That seems to be the major problem with 3d right now

Hmmmm.

That differs from a glowing review from blu-ray.com, about the 3D effect. They said it was the first "dark" film that really had decent 3D. The audio has been getting 5 star reviews from everyone as well.

I'll be picking this up on day one.
post #7 of 48 Old 04-27-2012, 07:23 AM
LVS
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
I saw this in IMAX 3D and thought it was awesome. I definitely enjoyed this in 3D, yes no popout to speak of but the depth in the film was very nice and Kate Beckinsale in 3D... well what more can you say.
post #8 of 48 Old 04-27-2012, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

Hmmmm.

That differs from a glowing review from blu-ray.com, about the 3D effect. They said it was the first "dark" film that really had decent 3D. The audio has been getting 5 star reviews from everyone as well.

I'll be picking this up on day one.

Didn't bash the 3d or the movie, watch it for yourself and decide. Was it decent? Yeah, didn't say it wasn't decent, just felt like the director could have done better considering the tools at his disposal. This movie isn't going to have anyone raving about the 3d or the movie, but it was a good watch and a great value on Vudu.

And im guessing by day one, you expect the 3d to be better on the disc?
post #9 of 48 Old 05-01-2012, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Kate in 3D? I'm there on Day 1!!!!
post #10 of 48 Old 05-02-2012, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:

And im guessing by day one, you expect the 3d to be better on the disc?

It means I'm planning to buy the BD on the release date.

I have dedicated black velvet lined room with a 480hz 3D projector and an 8 foot high gain screen. Everything looks better at home.
post #11 of 48 Old 05-02-2012, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

It means I'm planning to buy the BD on the release date.

I have dedicated black velvet lined room with a 480hz 3D projector and an 8 foot high gain screen. Everything looks better at home.

Yes it does especially with your setup. But just how much better is the 3d effect that comes off a blu ray versus say streaming hdx which is also supposed to be 1080p (except on ps3) was my main question. I understand the drop in resolution if watching it on demand on cable or satellite but don't understand why the disc would be better versus vudu.
post #12 of 48 Old 05-02-2012, 12:02 PM

Liked: 16
The bit rate for a blu-ray disc is higher than streaming, and Vudu doesn't do lossless audio.

Quote:

So, will streaming ever catch up to Blu-ray? Ross Rubin, an analyst with NPD, says that one format is worth watching: The Vudu HDX format, found on Blu-ray players from Samsung and other manufacturers, matches the quality of a 720p cable video-on-demand movie. But HDX still streams at only about 20 mbps, well short of the 36-mbps bit rate for Blu-ray, says Rubin. And most streaming services, such as those of Blockbuster and Netflix, throttle the video quality to match your bandwidth.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/24121...streaming.html
post #13 of 48 Old 05-02-2012, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Lee thinks this is a top notch 3D effort and Ralph agreed.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1408494
post #14 of 48 Old 05-02-2012, 04:12 PM

Liked: 10
I will say this, I disliked the movie, big time, in fact, it was the worst of all the underworld movies by far (even the third one without Kate) and if I weren't watching it in my HMZ-T1 in 3D, I wouldn't have finished the movie at all. It was the 3D that made this movie worth it.

So I guess that's a good review on my part as far as the 3D goes, several scenes, specialy when they are driving (and many others) give a great depth perception.
post #15 of 48 Old 05-02-2012, 10:42 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

Lee thinks this is a top notch 3D effort and Ralph agreed.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1408494

Yeah, I may have to pick this up for the 3D. I see that Best Buy will have the movie for $24.99 on 5/8, and if you use their trade-in program where you bring in a regular dvd, you get a $5 coupon off blu-ray purchase, the price becomes, $19.99.

Best Buy upgrade and save program:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Movies-P...&DCMP=rdr18085

Pick of Best Buy ad for movie:
http://www.examiner.com/slideshow/ma...slide=46741136

Thanks,

post #16 of 48 Old 05-05-2012, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The dark scenes were bluish black[not true deep black] the whole movie both 2D and 3D.This was very weird since reviews said it was great pic quality,or it is just my copy.
post #17 of 48 Old 05-05-2012, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by butsu View Post

The dark scenes were bluish black[not true deep black] the whole movie both 2D and 3D.This was very weird since reviews said it was great pic quality,or it is just my copy.

Settings maybe, I just watched a few minutes of my vudu copy and it seemed fine, as I said in original view it had a decent 3d effect, but the movie itself was just meh....
post #18 of 48 Old 05-05-2012, 05:10 PM

Hi! Newbie here. I don't know about other countries but the American and Canadian editions of this movie's "3-D Blu-Ray" has both the 2D version of the movie and the 3D version of the movie on the same disk. What I'm wondering is, will my 2D player play the 2D version or do I need a 3D player to play the 2D version??

"You wanna get nuts?! Ok, let's get nuts!"
post #19 of 48 Old 05-06-2012, 12:27 PM

Excellent! Can anybody confirm?

"You wanna get nuts?! Ok, let's get nuts!"
post #20 of 48 Old 05-09-2012, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Watching whole movie again right now cause I was bored. I now see what you were talking about and that has always been part of the movies "style". They used this effect in all the Underworld movies
post #21 of 48 Old 05-09-2012, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Thank,wonka 702 for responding.I watched 2D and 3D versions of this BD with high expectation from great reviews both scope setup and PANA 55VT30.The dark scenes reminded me of HDMI 1.2 setup,all the black and dark were too bight,not deep black so I decreased brightness till it was watchable.It may be a style as you said or my copy was not ok.The previews looked very nice PQ also movie's great 7.1 sound quality made me watch again,btw.
post #22 of 48 Old 05-09-2012, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thank,wonka 702 for responding.I watched 2D and 3D versions of this BD with high expectation from great reviews both scope setup and PANA 55VT30.The dark scenes reminded me of HDMI 1.2 setup,all the black and dark were too bight,not deep black so I decreased brightness till it was watchable.It may be a style as you said or my copy was not ok.The previews looked very nice PQ also movie's great 7.1 sound quality made me watch again,btw.

Exchange it and let me know. I have been looking for someone with the original to see if my memory serves me correctly, but I do believe they put some sort of filter on all the movies (but I never could watch all of the third film as it was horrible).
post #23 of 48 Old 05-09-2012, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Exchange it and let me know. I have been looking for someone with the original to see if my memory serves me correctly, but I do believe they put some sort of filter on all the movies (but I never could watch all of the third film as it was horrible).

I have all parts of Underworld BD,the black level in 2D was great at the former parts.The bluish black was style of movie but not bright bluish black,SONY might increase the brightness to 3Dness(if my copy was ok).
post #24 of 48 Old 05-10-2012, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I felt like there weren't a whole lot of scenes that really showcased the 3d, at least in regards to the depth (or maybe I just wasn't looking for it); however, I thought the scenes that had pop-out were about the best I've seen. Whenever she threw one of her little death-dealer stars and the scenes with the Silver Nitrate dust it was AWESOME! Oh and the freezing scene was spectacular, in terms of both audio and 3d demo-worthiness.
post #25 of 48 Old 05-12-2012, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post

I felt like there weren't a whole lot of scenes that really showcased the 3d, at least in regards to the depth (or maybe I just wasn't looking for it); however, I thought the scenes that had pop-out were about the best I've seen. Whenever she threw one of her little death-dealer stars and the scenes with the Silver Nitrate dust it was AWESOME! Oh and the freezing scene was spectacular, in terms of both audio and 3d demo-worthiness.

I liked it. Surprised no ones mentioning the previews which were in 3D.

Don't recall any other 3d release showing previews in 3D

Men in Black 3 and the next Resident Evil movie with the cool/sexy Milla Jojovich.
post #26 of 48 Old 05-12-2012, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

The 3D previews were great and just make sense on a 3D title. Have many that don't.

Also, with multi-disc 3D titles, the 3D version disc should be on the right side of the case. Many haven't been.

Just common sense stuff.
post #27 of 48 Old 05-12-2012, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
There was a pretty good featurett on making the movie with the RED cameras.
post #28 of 48 Old 05-12-2012, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I picked up the 3D BluRay today and just got thru watching it. Saw the first half on my 2010 Samsung 3D active plasma and the 2nd half on my LG LM7600 passive LCD.

In terms of the movie itself, I found it moderately entertaining but not particularly memorable in any way. I've seen a couple of the prior Underworld films and this one seemed hamstrung by a low budget as the action sequences weren't nearly as ambitious as those of the earlier films and most of the CGI lycans had a texture resembling rubber more than fur. As usual with these kinds of movies, it ends in a quasi-cliffhanger leaving things open for yet another hoped for sequel.

In terms of 3D, again I found it moderately well presented but not particularly striking. Despite the dark palette there is a moderate amount of depth and the occasional item poking out of the screen. The best examples of 3D involve Selene's encounters with a particularly large lycan and a sequence with silver nitrate particles was kind of interesting visually but quite honestly nothing in this movie really struck me as demo worthy. There were a few instances of ghosting on the plasma in scenes with extreme contrast ranges such as lighted windows in dark buildings during night scenes, pretty typical of early gen 3D plasmas. The image was perfect on the passive LCD.

The film was ostensibly shot with the RED camera system and while it is presented in a letterbox format of around 2.35:1, it's pretty obvious that the cinematographer composed a lot of the shots with 1.78:1 in mind. Heads are routinely cropped at the top in closeups and there's scene early on of a newscaster delivering the news while the text scrolling across the bottom of the screen is partially obscured by the lower letterbox. Even closeups of the CGI lycans lunging towards the screen are often oddly cropped. It would have been better if the filmmakers had just taken off the mattes and left the film full screen as the compositions would seem to have worked better that way.

I got it for $20 at Best Buy and at that price it's a decent deal if you're into the genre; others may want to opt to rent.
post #29 of 48 Old 05-12-2012, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
There is no ghosting in this movie. That is you source or display. They even said they filmed it with ghosting in mind and had the shoot some scenes different so it wouldn't show ghosting.
If you watch the featurett, then you would see they used rubber suited with mechanically controlled headed lycans for a lot of scenes. They didn't want to slime them all up like the other movies.
post #30 of 48 Old 05-12-2012, 09:06 PM

Liked: 13
I saw the movie earlier this week and wasn't too impressed with the 3D. It wasn't bad but wasn't awesome either. There were a couple of scenes with pop-out so that was cool. I guess I'm just spoiled after watching Hugo and other 3D movies.

I did however, enjoy the 3D previews. Resident Evil looks pretty good!

Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page