Is everybody happy... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 04-27-2012, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
with the amount of 3D programming available on their cable or sat system?

WAP 16.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 04-27-2012, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have cox cable, alto they have a dedicated 3d channel it's more for events and never has anything on it. They do have at least over 50 3d movies on demand, so from that stand point yes I satisfied with their 3d selection.
post #3 of 33 Old 04-27-2012, 06:41 AM

Not at all. I have Dish and they offer nothing. I'd switch, but can't get locals with Direct.
post #4 of 33 Old 04-27-2012, 10:05 AM

No. Verizon FIOS has 3D movies on demand and ESPN3D for $10 a month but no 3D channels.
post #5 of 33 Old 04-27-2012, 11:03 AM

I just switched to DirecTV, they have ESPN 3D included in the package. I love college football in 3D, I just have to wait till the fall. I had Brighthouse cable and they charged $10 a month so I only paid for it between Sept and Jan.

Don
post #6 of 33 Old 04-27-2012, 12:14 PM

The problem for me is the quality of the 3D on cable and satellite, not quite as good as Blurays.
post #7 of 33 Old 04-27-2012, 07:48 PM

Liked: 16
The 3D content available on Rogers in Canada is brutal. There is one dedicated channel that 99.9% of the time just plays the same boring loop over and over again. They charge a huge premium for the couple 3D movies they offer on demand, and the picture quality (side-by-side) is horrible. Plus the ghosting is the worst I've seen on any 3D anywhere.
post #8 of 33 Old 04-27-2012, 09:13 PM

Liked: 11
I switched from Directv to Cox because I wanted the true on demand 3d content and Directv 3d will not even recognize some tv sets. I was tech support for Directv and when something goes wrong, there support is a joke, the training is a joke, they outsource their service and all the outsourcing company is worried about is taking so many calls and operating within confines of agreed upon contract (they dont care if you fix the problem as long as you show empathy) Only way I even was good at the job is because I already loved tv and knew the two or three people who actually knew the answers when I encountered something I didn't already know.

I wish Cox offered 3Net and I also wish that Showtime, Epix and Cinemax offered 3d content (especially Epix and Showtime) but the 3d content that is on Cox is decent, but no, wish I had more.
post #9 of 33 Old 04-30-2012, 11:06 AM

what other channels are offered in 3D from Directv?
post #10 of 33 Old 04-30-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfin3591 View Post

what other channels are offered in 3D from Directv?

As far as I know they have espn 3d and 3net.
post #11 of 33 Old 04-30-2012, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Happy with??? the title of the thread?

And nope, theres hardly any content on fios.

I want to die in my sleep like grandpa... not kicking and screaming like the people in his car.
post #12 of 33 Old 04-30-2012, 01:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm decently satisfied with Direct TV's 3D. The 1st run movies are nice, but hard to catch unless you keep up on them in the guide. The Rose Bowl Parade was amazing, some sports coverages have also been amazing.

I'm not really noticing a huge drop off in quality from Blueray on average. Some 3D BD's aren't so great, some 3D content from Direct TV isn't so great either. But overall, I'm glad I have Direct TV 3D as an additional 3D source for sure.
post #13 of 33 Old 05-01-2012, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Yep!

Wolfie
post #14 of 33 Old 05-01-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwertman View Post

Not at all. I have Dish and they offer nothing. I'd switch, but can't get locals with Direct.

I am very surprised that Dish has nothing. Is that because of your package or they just have no option available...

I have had Dish twice in the past and have really loved the quality of both the picture and the equipment.

I guess I will have to go through Direct TV when I sign up again.
post #15 of 33 Old 05-01-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdcoy View Post

I just switched to DirecTV, they have ESPN 3D included in the package. I love college football in 3D, I just have to wait till the fall. I had Brighthouse cable and they charged $10 a month so I only paid for it between Sept and Jan.

Don

Don,

I am also in Oviedo For sure you are enjoying the picture quality improvement that Directv provides (when compared to Brighthouse.) What I would like to know is which provider has more 3D content. Like you, I would like an option where I don't have to pay more for the option of watching 3D, mostly because I don't watch that much of it. I have yet to see what live sports look like in 3D.
post #16 of 33 Old 05-01-2012, 08:25 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metric View Post

Happy with??? the title of the thread?

And nope, theres hardly any content on fios.

Really? I feel the opposite. If you have the movie channel packages, there's Starz HD 3D and HBO HD 3D and of course ESPN 3D. I've found there's enough movies on both channels to keep me occupied. Sure, they're in 720p/1080i, not BD quality but it's better than nothing IMO. It's also a good way to test out a movie for possible future purchase.
post #17 of 33 Old 05-01-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER View Post

I'm decently satisfied with Direct TV's 3D. The 1st run movies are nice, but hard to catch unless you keep up on them in the guide. The Rose Bowl Parade was amazing, some sports coverages have also been amazing.

I am the same. Not content but not disappointed either. Would live the movie channels to be in 3d.
However, I've seen more and more movies on 3net and not just IMAX movies. I have recorded cloudy with a chance of meatballs and a couple other ones that were free.

Love sports, movies, and games. Slowly some day I'll add a projector and screen. Until then, I'll build up my library.
post #18 of 33 Old 05-01-2012, 09:55 AM

We recently "bugged" the channel - putting a ghosted 3net bug in the upper left hand corner as a test. Would be interested in any feedback from forum members who have DTV and catch 3net on 107.
post #19 of 33 Old 05-01-2012, 10:08 AM

Liked: 14
Well, you've just guaranteed that I WON'T be subscribing. Bugs are the main reason I no longer watch regular TV and do not have cable. It makes absolutely no sense to do this as it distracts from the picture, especially on a channel that emphasizes picture quality! (It cracked me up that a lot of channels were putting "HD" next to their bugs as if you needed to be reminded you were watching HD, and I joked that when 3D started they'd be using bugs that protruded out from the screen!)

There is a special place in hell for EVERYONE who advocates this practice. What have the networks (NBC, ABC, CBS) GAINED by doing this for over 14 years now? I've certainly gained more free time from no longer watching their shows! Even if it is extremely important that people know what channel they're watching, there are plenty of ways to OPTIONALLY display this!
post #20 of 33 Old 05-01-2012, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

To the 3net folks: lose the bug! These are bad enough during 2D programming, but in 3D they are too distracting. You already flash the networks logo at least once between each commerical break, that's enough. Anyone with DirecTV can easily find out which channel they are watching with the remote. 3net is great; but don't go down the road of all the other networks.

I am very happy with DirecTV's 3D content. I get 3net, N3D and N3D on demand, ESPN 3D, as well as 3D PPV movies. It would be nice if they added HBO and Starz 3D on demand channels, but since those show product which is readily available on Blu-ray and other means, I'm content.
post #21 of 33 Old 05-01-2012, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbreen76 View Post

I am very surprised that Dish has nothing. Is that because of your package or they just have no option available...

I have had Dish twice in the past and have really loved the quality of both the picture and the equipment.

I guess I will have to go through Direct TV when I sign up again.

Correct, there are NO 3D channels at all. They do have a PPV 3D movie occasionally for $7 but that's it!

Ed
post #22 of 33 Old 05-01-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3net View Post

We recently "bugged" the channel - putting a ghosted 3net bug in the upper left hand corner as a test. Would be interested in any feedback from forum members who have DTV and catch 3net on 107.

Is 3Net only on Direcrv? Are the videos I purchased on Vudu like the one about the Amelia Auto Show the type of content that is offered on 3Net? Excuse me if I sound dumb, even as a former Directv Tech Support Director All Star, even our manuals had very little information on programming in 3d.
post #23 of 33 Old 05-02-2012, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

As far as I know, DirecTV is the only one currently carrying 3net, though a very few random episodes of some series have been available for purchase on the Playstation Network. The 3net website www.3net.com has a schedule and description of the programming.

There are reality series, standalone documentaries, animated content, 3-D trailers, even the occasional feature film like "Call of the Wild". They seem to add new content to rotation fairly regularly. I wish they'd show some of the classic Columbia 3-D content from Sony's library.
post #24 of 33 Old 05-02-2012, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

More is always better, but I believe I have access to just about all of the 3D cable/satellite content in existence in the US. With DirecTV I’ve got ESPN 3D, 3Net and N3D, with Time Warner I’ve got HBO 3D On Demand , a nice selection of Free Movies On Demand in 3D and a Special Events 3D channel. While the special events channel is rarely used, last year they did show the NHL Heritage Classic in 3D, which was some of the best 3D I’ve ever seen. Other than Starz 3D On Demand, I’m not sure what else I’m missing. It’s neither Time Warner or DirecTV, it’s up to the content providers to put out some more 3D channels, be it On demand or linear.

Time Warner Cable – Signature Home Premium View w/Epix, Sports Pass, HD Pass, Spanish Tier, Cisco Explorer 8642HDC, Cisco Explorer 8742HDC Both Running ODN 7.2.0_11
DirecTV – Premier, HD Extra Pack, NFL ST Max, NHL CI, MLB EI, Whole House DVR, HR34-700 Running 0807, HR24-200 Running 0802

post #25 of 33 Old 05-02-2012, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Try living in Japan. Our one and only 3D channel shows the same crap over and over. Honestly, they been showing soccer every night for the past year.
They show this crappy train show over and over and also some cheerleading try outs non stop as well. Simply put, BORING and lame.

When they show movies they cost over $40 and are older 3D movies such as Cloudy With Meatballs.

3D items I own:

Sony 46" LX900 active 3D set

Sony HMZ-T3 (Cushion pads and light blocker mod)

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Sony BDP-S570 BD3D player

JVC-GS-TD1 (with Cyclopital base extender)

Fujifilm W3

Sony Alpha 55 (for 3D panoramic photos)

Quadcopter + Zenmuse and GoPro Hero 3 (Filming...

post #26 of 33 Old 05-03-2012, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve p. View Post

to the 3net folks: Lose the bug! these are bad enough during 2d programming, but in 3d they are too distracting. You already flash the networks logo at least once between each commerical break, that's enough. Anyone with directv can easily find out which channel they are watching with the remote. 3net is great; but don't go down the road of all the other networks.

I am very happy with directv's 3d content. I get 3net, n3d and n3d on demand, espn 3d, as well as 3d ppv movies. It would be nice if they added hbo and starz 3d on demand channels, but since those show product which is readily available on blu-ray and other means, i'm content.

+1
post #27 of 33 Old 05-07-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post

Correct, there are NO 3D channels at all. They do have a PPV 3D movie occasionally for $7 but that's it!

Ed

Yeah and Dish Network always gives me their standard canned line of "we're working to bring you more 3d content as soon as possible" when I ask them WTF are they waiting for on getting 3d channels? I like to tell them that DirecTV is pissing on them when it comes to 3d content and that they're about to lose a top tier customer over it. I get transferred to "customer loyalty" who then babbles out of their pieholes some more but nothing gets done because no one in customer loyalty can satisfy my request which is for more 3d content and/or channels. LOL

Home Theater Addict, Techno Geek, IT Guy and Miami Sports fan!
Here is the breakdown:
post #28 of 33 Old 05-07-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscott70 View Post

Yeah and they always give me their standard canned line of "we're working to bring you more 3d content as soon as possible" when I ask them WTF are they waiting for on getting 3d channels? I like to tell them that DirecTV is pissing on them when it comes to 3d content and that they're about to lose a top tier customer over it. I get transferred to "customer loyalty" who then babbles out of their pieholes some more but nothing gets done because no one in customer loyalty can satisfy my request which is for more 3d content and/or channels. LOL

If your not currently under contract switch to Directv. They are the front runners in technology. Make sure you get a free whole home upgrade and make sure you ask for an HR-34 as your primary receiver. You can get them to match any offer from Dish and will have more 3d content. I will switch back to Directv when they start offering 3d on HBO and Starz.
post #29 of 33 Old 05-07-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonka702 View Post

If your not currently under contract switch to Directv. They are the front runners in technology. Make sure you get a free whole home upgrade and make sure you ask for an HR-34 as your primary receiver. You can get them to match any offer from Dish and will have more 3d content. I will switch back to Directv when they start offering 3d on HBO and Starz.

I have no contract with Dish so I am free to do that but I have 2 issues, one is that I have an external HDD on my Dish VIP722k that has a couple hundred hours of recordings on it and DirecTV seems very stubborn that they will not waive all upfront fees on the HR34, which is the Home Media Center DVR. They want $99 upfront and if I'm going to switch and open a Premier account with DirecTV I'll be damned if I'm gonna pay a penny. I only need the primary DVR as I will modulate the SD output onto my whole house video system and I will use an HDMI splitter between the family room and master bedroom (the only two HD TV's in the house). Also, does anyone know if the HR34 has OTA support built-in? I like having my OTA channels integrated into my program guide and available for recording just like a satellite channel. My game plan, IF I can find a way to get DirecTV to waive that $99 fee, is to scale my Dish sub down to the Welcome Pack , which is only $14.99 a month and nothing else. That would keep my recordings intact until I can transfer most or all of them to DVD while enjoying the 12 month teaser rate with DirecTV and when the 12 month mark gets near I'll make sure I'm at the point where I'm ready to end my Dish sub entirely. I think Dish is a bunch of morons for not keeping up with DirecTV and I'm ready to express my discontent by switching if need be....

Home Theater Addict, Techno Geek, IT Guy and Miami Sports fan!
Here is the breakdown:
post #30 of 33 Old 05-07-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscott70 View Post

I have no contract with Dish so I am free to do that but I have 2 issues, one is that I have an external HDD on my Dish VIP722k that has a couple hundred hours of recordings on it and DirecTV seems very stubborn that they will not waive all upfront fees on the HR34, which is the Home Media Center DVR. They want $99 upfront and if I'm going to switch and open a Premier account with DirecTV I'll be damned if I'm gonna pay a penny. I only need the primary DVR as I will modulate the SD output onto my whole house video system and I will use an HDMI splitter between the family room and master bedroom (the only two HD TV's in the house). Also, does anyone know if the HR34 has OTA support built-in? I like having my OTA channels integrated into my program guide and available for recording just like a satellite channel. My game plan, IF I can find a way to get DirecTV to waive that $99 fee, is to scale my Dish sub down to the Welcome Pack , which is only $14.99 a month and nothing else. That would keep my recordings intact until I can transfer most or all of them to DVD while enjoying the 12 month teaser rate with DirecTV and when the 12 month mark gets near I'll make sure I'm at the point where I'm ready to end my Dish sub entirely. I think Dish is a bunch of morons for not keeping up with DirecTV and I'm ready to express my discontent by switching if need be....

No ota antenna connection but they offer a piece of equipment that will allow it, and it is free, but it isn't built into the box itself as they offer locals in most markets now. DRM prevents any provider from allowing content recorded on their boxes from playing on a competitors box. With Directvs SWiM technology, you have to use it for their whole home dvr system but if you already have an external it can be plugged into any HR20-300 or higher but it disables the on board hdd. Since I wasn't really in salesI dont know about waiving the $99 they seem pretty stubborn on getting $99 from everyone because it costs them approximately $250 to pay a sub contractor to do the installation and it is just to subsidize those costs. As an employee I had to pay $49 towards my installation costs too.
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page