"UP" Bluray in 3D - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 05-01-2012, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I ordered "UP" 3D bluray from Amazon. Everyone really liked it. I hope more of 3D content is released. You should get it for all the family to watch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-01-2012, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I sold my existing Blu-ray set when I heard that Up was getting a 3D Blu-ray release in May. Then it was never announced. As soon as Amazon puts it up for preorder, I will reserve a copy. Until then, I'll wait.

I heard that only the 3D disc in the UK set is region free, and not the other discs. That means I won't pay to import it.

PETER JACKSON: The theatrical versions are the definitive versions.
post #3 of 19 Old 05-01-2012, 07:37 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFree View Post

I ordered "UP" 3D bluray from Amazon. Everyone really liked it. I hope more of 3D content is released. You should get it for all the family to watch.

The $80 version?
post #4 of 19 Old 05-02-2012, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantchicken View Post

I sold my existing Blu-ray set when I heard that Up was getting a 3D Blu-ray release in May. Then it was never announced. As soon as Amazon puts it up for preorder, I will reserve a copy. Until then, I'll wait.

I heard that only the 3D disc in the UK set is region free, and not the other discs. That means I won't pay to import it.

Yeah, what happened to that announcement? I've been looking for the 3D BD on Amazon etc every now and then, thinking I must have missed the posts about release date.

According to the 3D BD release Sticky thread, UP was supposed to be released 1 May, which was yesterday. Yet Nada, Zip, Zilch.

Growf.

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #5 of 19 Old 05-02-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma View Post

Yeah, what happened to that announcement? I've been looking for the 3D BD on Amazon etc every now and then, thinking I must have missed the posts about release date.

According to the 3D BD release Sticky thread, UP was supposed to be released 1 May, which was yesterday. Yet Nada, Zip, Zilch.

Growf.

shinksma

Might be another sign that studios are hosing us on releasing previously announced content because of the slow adoption rate of 3d.

At Cinemacon last week plenty of lip service for 3d from certain people but mostly just a lot of people who want 3d to just go away already.

I am hoping that with the 48fps technology as well as certain 3d technologies being experimented on by Douglas Trumbull it will keep 3d content flowing for the foreseeable future as I love me some 3d.
post #6 of 19 Old 05-15-2012, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonka702 View Post

Might be another sign that studios are hosing us on releasing previously announced content because of the slow adoption rate of 3d.
At Cinemacon last week plenty of lip service for 3d from certain people but mostly just a lot of people who want 3d to just go away already.

I am hoping that with the 48fps technology as well as certain 3d technologies being experimented on by Douglas Trumbull it will keep 3d content flowing for the foreseeable future as I love me some 3d.

That's can't be the reason. Disney is converting 'Finding Nemo' to 3D for theatrical re-release this summer. Most likely they will do the same with 'Up' and release a 3D Blu-ray of both after the theaters get their time in with the two.

Wolfie
post #7 of 19 Old 05-15-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

That's can't be the reason. Disney is converting 'Finding Nemo' to 3D for theatrical re-release this summer. Most likely they will do the same with 'Up' and release a 3D Blu-ray of both after the theaters get their time in with the two.

Wolfie

Yeah this probably not the reason, just one possible reason they may have. They could be waiting until 3d is more accepted to make the release an event too.
post #8 of 19 Old 05-15-2012, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

This from 'The Digital Bits':

"Industry sources are telling us that Disney and Pixar's Finding Nemo will finally arrive on Blu-ray Disc and Blu-ray 3D in time for the holidays, following the film's 3D theatrical re-release in September (on 9/14)." Can 'Up' be too far behind?

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwoc...03.html#050212

Wolfie
post #9 of 19 Old 05-15-2012, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Why would they need to rerelase Up in 3d at the theatres before they do a Bluray 3d? Up's original theatre run was already in 3d so it's not like Nemo or Lion King getting converted, it was already done.
post #10 of 19 Old 05-15-2012, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Glad I got the regionfree UK BD.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #11 of 19 Old 05-16-2012, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_b View Post

Why would they need to rerelase Up in 3d at the theatres before they do a Bluray 3d? Up's original theatre run was already in 3d so it's not like Nemo or Lion King getting converted, it was already done.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Wolfie
post #12 of 19 Old 05-16-2012, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 22
But unlike the Lion King or Nemo, where people will pay money to see it in 3d, with Up, those people would have already paid to see it in 3d in the theatres when it was in the theatres. Why would they pay again? It's not like it's an original movie being converted to 3d for another theater run, it already was 3d on the original run. I wouldn't pay to see it in 3d again.
post #13 of 19 Old 05-16-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_b View Post

But unlike the Lion King or Nemo, where people will pay money to see it in 3d, with Up, those people would have already paid to see it in 3d in the theatres when it was in the theatres. Why would they pay again? It's not like it's an original movie being converted to 3d for another theater run, it already was 3d on the original run. I wouldn't pay to see it in 3d again.

I concur. In addition to that Beauty and the Beast was released on video in 3d the same week it came out in theaters in 3d, so that really cannot be why they didn't release it yet.

The poor adoption rate of 3d is more likely a candidate although that is pure speculation on my part.

Alot of people really seem to hate the glasses required for 3d. That and headaches are complained about the most. Then you have the purists who think it is ruining cinema and combine the two demographics and you spell doom for 3d just like in the 50's? I sure hope I am wrong.
post #14 of 19 Old 05-22-2012, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

Glad I got the regionfree UK BD.

Same here! My wife surprised me with a copy for valentines day...
post #15 of 19 Old 05-27-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonka702 View Post

I just started watching 3D movies at home this week and love them. I think the slow adoption rate can be blamed on the set manufactures and how they sell the 3D equipment. The 3D displays in most stores (Best Buy, Frys) are awful. Usually they are displayed under bright lights, the glasses are dirty, or the demo is hogged by little kids. They should really set up small demonstration rooms that replicate watching in your living room and offer a disc out coupon on the first 3D purchase for those setting through a demo.

You really need to watch 3D in a living room setting to appreciate the format. I was one that thought the format was a gimmick, until I risk investing in the equipment and watching in my own home. Now I'm telling my friends to come watch a 3D movie at my house and you will be sold after watching just one movie.

No man leaves before his time - unless the boss leaves early.

Groucho Marx
post #16 of 19 Old 06-01-2012, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Looks like it will be December 4th, same day as Nemo, as someone speculated above.

http://www.amazon.com/Up-Five-Disc-C...8575658&sr=1-1

Xbox/PS/WiiU gamertag: GoNats
Apple Game Center: iGoNats

post #17 of 19 Old 06-01-2012, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

That's because I finally broke down and imported the UK version last week and now it won't match the others or have a slipcover. Grumble.

PETER JACKSON: The theatrical versions are the definitive versions.
post #18 of 19 Old 06-01-2012, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

That's because I finally broke down and imported the UK version last week and now it won't match the others or have a slipcover. Grumble.

Join the club. Ordered it last week and received it this week.

Mine's still sealed so I guess I could try to sell it on eBay or Amazon and recoup my money.
post #19 of 19 Old 06-02-2012, 05:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

I sold my existing Blu-ray set when I heard that Up was getting a 3D Blu-ray release in May.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchot View Post

Mine's still sealed so I guess I could try to sell it on eBay or Amazon and recoup my money.

I thought about selling my old version of UP, but aren't they basically worthless? What's a used movie worth to anyone after you factor in $3 or more in shipping?

Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page