Ghost Recon 3D - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 05-05-2012, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am playing the beta and noticed there's a grayed out 3D option.
Im hoping this will be a good one like gears of war. Great game but I'm surprised no one has mentioned this including ubisoft
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-05-2012, 12:31 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampyro View Post

I am playing the beta and noticed there's a grayed out 3D option.
Im hoping this will be a good one like gears of war. Great game but I'm surprised no one has mentioned this including ubisoft

Sony seems to have backed off on 3d support.
post #3 of 17 Old 05-05-2012, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Ubisoft has been using the so-called "reprojection" method of implementing 3D in its recent games and I expect the same with Ghost Recon. If that's the case, you'll get a mild sense of depth but no pop out of the screen.

As for Sony backing off with 3D, they're definitely not pushing it as much as they used to although a lot of their new games still offer it as an option (looking forward to seeing how it works with the Ratchet & Clank collection). It also doesn't help that they released some of the poorest performing 3D TVs.
post #4 of 17 Old 05-05-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

Ubisoft has been using the so-called "reprojection" method of implementing 3D in its recent games and I expect the same with Ghost Recon. If that's the case, you'll get a mild sense of depth but no pop out of the screen.

As for Sony backing off with 3D, they're definitely not pushing it as much as they used to although a lot of their new games still offer it as an option (looking forward to seeing how it works with the Ratchet & Clank collection). It also doesn't help that they released some of the poorest performing 3D TVs.

They did?

I did recently get Hot Shots Golf Out of Bounds and Motorstorm RC downloadable that did have 3d support. From what I can tell from most of the games they all focus on depth and not popout which is just fine by me.

I also hope they dont give up on 3d prematurely because games are even more immersive in 3d and when more people realize what we already know they will give most games the 3d treatment.

Im guessing they didn't include the files necessary in the beta for the 3d option but it will definitely be included in the full game.
post #5 of 17 Old 05-05-2012, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm pretty sure the final version of Ghost Recon will support some form of 3D; I'm not surprised to see it greyed out in the demo as I'm sure the developers are still optimizing the code.

All the Sony TVs that I've seen had absolutely horrible ghosting; even their 2012 models on display at Best Buy are, to my eyes at least, visibly inferior to comparably sized active shutter displays from Samsung and Panasonic.

Very few games have popout; Uncharted had a bit of it with laserscopes from enemy rifles in a couple of its levels; Resistance 3 had a bit of popout when enemies used certain weapons against you; Killzone 3 also have a few areas where things in the environment seemed to pop out (although the resolution was really bad in that one). Avatar was an earlier side by side 3D game that had some popouts, mostly in the way of foliage in the foreground and such.

If you have an Xbox 360 and want to see a really good example of popoout in a videogame try downloading the indie game 3D Infinity from the Xbox Live Marketplace. You can try the first level for free or buy the game outright for $5. It's a relatively simple first person on-rails shooting game where you pilot a ship thru various levels. It uses side-by-side 3D but the sense of depth is outstanding and there is a constant barrage of stuff that seems to break the plane of the screen.

Beyond that most games I've tried do tend to focus on depth which is fine by me as well as it does help to pull me further into the game.
post #6 of 17 Old 05-05-2012, 06:08 PM

Cool I will definitely check out this 3d Infinity game you speak of. Any others on 360 you recommend? I have NBA2K11, Crysis 2, Gears 3 in 3d on xbox but MS not really pushing 3d too much.
post #7 of 17 Old 05-05-2012, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Microsoft is definitely trying to push Kinect in favor of 3D, but there are a few games that I think are worth checking out:

Halo: Anniversary looked surprisingly good in 3D; if you've never played the game or are a fan of the franchise that one's probably worth a look.

Call of Duty: Black Ops (either 360 or PS3 version) had a nice 3D mode; when you looked down the scope of a weapon it actually seemed to pop out of the screen. Most levels had a nice sense of depth as well.

Green Lantern: Rise of the Manhunters and Captain America were two fairly easy but still fun games that supported 3D via side-by-side that can be gotten very inexpensively these days.

Sonic Generations is a very large game (lots of levels, variations and mini-games) with a nice 3D mode that is also inexpensive, just be careful if you're playing on a plasma as the game has some really bright status displays that are always on screen so it can lead to image retention.

Batman: Arkham City (either for 360 or PS3) supports 3D as well; it uses the reprojection mode so while it won't look as good as a true stereoscopic game it will still yield a decent sense of depth most of the time.

Assassin's Creed: Revelations (also available for 360 or PS3) also does 3D via reprojection but suffers from some pretty visible screen tearing if you max out the 3D setting; dialing it back a bit helps performance but also diminishes the sense of depth.
post #8 of 17 Old 05-27-2012, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

GR does support 3D but in my case it is only the menu and not during the game. Am I the only one? If not then this needs to be fixed. Menus look good though lol
post #9 of 17 Old 05-27-2012, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

GR does support 3D but in my case it is only the menu and not during the game. Am I the only one? If not then this needs to be fixed. Menus look good though lol

Are you talking about the 360 or PS3 version? This is on my radar and I'd prefer to get the 360 edition but when checking out the boxes for the game today I noticed that only the PS3 edition explicitly stated that 3D was supported.
post #10 of 17 Old 05-27-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:

Are you talking about the 360 or PS3 version? This is on my radar and I'd prefer to get the 360 edition but when checking out the boxes for the game today I noticed that only the PS3 edition explicitly stated that 3D was supported.

Seems to be the case with a few different games. Sony fully integrated 3d into the menus and all, but MS didn't. That was the deal breaker for me when I purchased Mortal Kombat, it was in 3d on PS3 but not 360. I prefer playing on 360, but since I got my 3d tv in March, PS3 has been receiving most of my attention because it has more 3d choices as well as 3d blu ray.
post #11 of 17 Old 05-27-2012, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I have the 360 but i would like to confirm this with someone else because i have a Marantz receiver in the mix and I'm wondering if this could be the cause of my problem. It would be improbable and ridiculous if the only 3d supported was in the menu.
post #12 of 17 Old 05-27-2012, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have the 360 but i would like to confirm this with someone else because i have a Marantz receiver in the mix and I'm wondering if this could be the cause of my problem. It would be improbable and ridiculous if the only 3d supported was in the menu.

Have you been doing single player or multi-player? I ask because a lot of games only support 3D in the single player campaign and go 2D only with multiplayer. Don't know if this is the case with Ghost Recon but I thought it worth mentioning.
post #13 of 17 Old 05-27-2012, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

I havent done single player yet but i may have jumped the gun because my glasses needed charging. I will try both soon once i have a sufficient charge.
post #14 of 17 Old 05-27-2012, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Ok so it wasnt my glasses. Campaign is in 3D Multiplayer is not. Not sure if multiplayer co-op is 3D. I must say that the 3D is stellar though. It is native 3D
post #15 of 17 Old 05-27-2012, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok so it wasnt my glasses. Campaign is in 3D Multiplayer is not. Not sure if multiplayer co-op is 3D. I must say that the 3D is stellar though. It is native 3D

Thanks for the update. Looks like I'll be getting the 360 version. Really wish Mcrosoft would advertise 3D support more.
post #16 of 17 Old 05-27-2012, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks for the update. Looks like I'll be getting the 360 version. Really wish Mcrosoft would advertise 3D support more.

Your welcome. Is it confirmed that the Ps3 does not support multiplayer 3D?
post #17 of 17 Old 05-27-2012, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Your welcome. Is it confirmed that the Ps3 does not support multiplayer 3D?

I can't say for sure but I'm inclined to think that if the 360 version only supports 3D in single player, the PS3 edition will follow suit. As I recall, the multiplayer beta also disabled 3D support. Like I said before, its not uncommon for games to drop 3D in multiplayer; I have Tron Evolution for the PS3 and that game didn't support 3D in multplayer either.

For me its a non-issue because I typically focus on the single player campaign.
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page