2012 French Tennis Open in 3D? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 05-12-2012, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a 3d Plasma last year. Just recently re-subscribed to Directv and bought a pair of 3D glasses to try it out. My uncle is 97 and played tennis until he was 92. I'll be hauling my TV 250 miles and setting it for him to watch. I'm Looking forward to see tennis in 3D.

Link: http://www.tvtechnology.com/article/...en-in-d/183458

Moderators Note: This info refers to the 2011 French Open, not this year. There has been an announcement that Sky 3D in Europe will be offering the 2012 French Open in 3D, so we may well see it here again in North America in 3D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-12-2012, 06:06 PM

Now that's a nice nephew! Hope you guys have a blast
post #3 of 12 Old 05-13-2012, 04:18 AM

Tennis is a sport that really looks better in 3D. The perspective on the ball .becomes more defined in 3D. They use many more court level cameras behind the players to get the proper views.
post #4 of 12 Old 05-13-2012, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampyro View Post

Now that's a nice nephew! Hope you guys have a blast

I'm his gardener! This year we have 108 tomato plants, 70 pepper plants, cucumbers, eggplants and squash.

My aunt was a tennis major in college. Our birthdays are all in September. It's been a tradition celebrating our birthdays on Labor Day and watching the U.S. Open! The Tennis Channel is a blessing to us.
post #5 of 12 Old 05-13-2012, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate2 View Post

Tennis is a sport that really looks better in 3D. The perspective on the ball .becomes more defined in 3D. They use many more court level cameras behind the players to get the proper views.

That's what we are hoping to see. I don't like the low angles during play because you can't see the lines. My uncle loves the blue courts because you see the ball better. This is going to be a good year. I may have to upgrade my projector to 3D!
post #6 of 12 Old 05-14-2012, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 38
What channel will it be on. Just checked ESPN 3D's web site and it's not there?
post #7 of 12 Old 05-14-2012, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by joed32 View Post

From the linked article in the first post, I would say that you will only find it carried on AT&T U-verse, Comcast and DirecTV, on a special 3-D variant of The Tennis Channel.

Another failed opportunity to get me to sign up for 3D Sports/ESPN3D on the part of Brighthouse/whatever. I've got family visiting during that time that would probably be interested in seeing this.

Oh well,

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #8 of 12 Old 05-14-2012, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed32 View Post

No offense but ESPN website's 3D info is lame!

From Directv website:
"Teaming up with Tennis Channel and ESPN, DIRECTV is offering the service, with its early round bonus coverage, trademark HD Mix channel and interactive menu features, free of charge to its customers. The French Open will also be available in 3D on DIRECTV's exclusive 3D channel n3D, powered by Panasonic (channel 103), airing May 28-30 from 5 a.m. to 12 p.m. ET. For more details on the French Open Experience visit: www.directv.com/frenchopen"

Link: http://news.directv.com/2011/05/18/directv-serves-up-beaucoup-tennis-coverage-with-french-open-experience/

By the way the 7 channel coverage is fantastic! We watched the French Open on my old Sony AD-1 SD satellite 4 years ago. I set the dish up on a Christmas tree stand and set it on his front porch each morning. Preview channel plus six courts. Then there were no talking heads. Just 6 courts with only the court sound!
post #9 of 12 Old 05-15-2012, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Thanks "n3D" is where it will be then?
post #10 of 12 Old 05-19-2012, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate2 View Post

Just got to see 3D Tennis. ESPN3D just reran 2011 Wimbeldon match between Murray and Nadal. Got to see all the good and bad and to test my equipment out. At the start of the match they had full sun and you could see really good 3d. In the first set I saw a couple of studders that weren't hardware related.

Towards the end of the first set the sun was dropping and the west side of the court became shaded. The 3D effect was less pronounced in the darker areas. I expected this to happen. Murray was serving to Nadal on the south side of the court. I saw a glare on the TV. At first I thought it was a reflection on the glasses or TV(I always watch TV in a light controlled room). I tilted my head to the left and then to the right. The glare did not go away. I realized that it was part of the broadcast. The camera moved to the right and the glare went away. Then the camera moved back to the left and the glare came back. Shortly thereafter the camera moved further to the left and 6 sided flares should up on the screen.

If you have ever worked with 35mm photography and wide angle lenses you would have seen these. Back in the 70's I took slides of Bridal Vale falls with a 28mm or 35mm lens. When I got back to Houston and processed the film, all of the slides of the falls from the base to the top taken with a wide angle lens had flares in them. I should have been prepared for that.

All in all it was a good experience and hopefully a forebearer of what's to come. Hopefully the 3D cameras have improved and the recording/broadcast techniques have improved. Regardless this is going to be an enjoyable Memorial day!

Time to watch Sharapova and Kvitova!
post #11 of 12 Old 05-20-2012, 10:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Topic title edited.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #12 of 12 Old 05-28-2012, 08:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-Houston View Post

Regardless this is going to be an enjoyable Memorial day!

Time to watch Sharapova and Kvitova!

Uh, no. See my edit to your first post.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page