qestion on 3d movies and 2d mode - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-21-2012, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey fellas...Sorry if this is a noob question but just need sum clarification. I have my sharp 844u on the way, along with a new sharp 3d player...I have been buying 3d blurays like crazy the last few days in anticipation to watch...So, i know most movies come in combo packs with the dvd, digital, regular 2d, etc. But as far as a 3d bluray, can you pop it in and have the player or tv just play the 3d disk in 2d mode? Is there any degredation in pic quality?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-21-2012, 02:03 PM

Liked: 14
It gets kind of weird here- if you don't have a 3D system (meaning your TV and/or player aren't 3D) then the disc will not allow you to play it in 3D- some movies have the 3D and 2D versions on separate discs, and if you play the 3D disc you'll get a message telling you that you don't have 3D equipment. Others will allow you to select 3D or 2D at the start- if you select 3D it'll give you a message, 2D will play normally. I watched "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs" on my old TV and it looked like a normal Blu-Ray- I've heard it shows you just one of the two eye views.

If you DO have a 3D system, you can set it to 2D mode and play 3D content in 2D, including 3D-only discs.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-21-2012, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule View Post

It gets kind of weird here- if you don't have a 3D system (meaning your TV and/or player aren't 3D) then the disc will not allow you to play it in 3D- some movies have the 3D and 2D versions on separate discs, and if you play the 3D disc you'll get a message telling you that you don't have 3D equipment. Others will allow you to select 3D or 2D at the start- if you select 3D it'll give you a message, 2D will play normally. I watched "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs" on my old TV and it looked like a normal Blu-Ray- I've heard it shows you just one of the two eye views.

If you DO have a 3D system, you can set it to 2D mode and play 3D content in 2D, including 3D-only discs.

Thnaks for the reply...I was reading different threads on diff forums and have found a lot of conflicting answers...some say it depends on the studio, for instance Disney will not play 2d on 3d only disks....I dunno if this is entirely true...i guess i will see when my stuff comes in...thanks
post #4 of 8 Old 05-21-2012, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

All 3d bluray disk are 2d compatible, ether they come with a separate 2d and 3d disk or have both 2d/3d on one disk. Ether way if you buy a 3d bluray you can always watch it in 2d even with old 2d bluray players. For the most part disk with 2d/3d on the same disk the 2d looks fine in full resolution, this can dpendent on the studio how they mastered and encoded the disk quality wise. I have 2 3dtvs since 2010, I've got over 50+ 3d blurays and I can tell you I've never had a problem watching them in 2d, no quality issues.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-22-2012, 08:02 AM

To my knowledge all Disney 3D disc can't be play on 2d, hope that help
post #6 of 8 Old 05-22-2012, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 39
In order to watch a 3D BD in 2D the BD must have a selection for 2D in the menu. If it does it just plays the left eye content (right is just packed difference info). Disney doesn't allow 2D selection because they use floating windows and this would look "weird" in 2D.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-22-2012, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagit811 View Post

All 3d bluray disk are 2d compatible, ether they come with a separate 2d and 3d disk or have both 2d/3d on one disk. Ether way if you buy a 3d bluray you can always watch it in 2d even with old 2d bluray players. For the most part disk with 2d/3d on the same disk the 2d looks fine in full resolution, this can dpendent on the studio how they mastered and encoded the disk quality wise. I have 2 3dtvs since 2010, I've got over 50+ 3d blurays and I can tell you I've never had a problem watching them in 2d, no quality issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac2k View Post

To my knowledge all Disney 3D disc can't be play on 2d, hope that help

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

In order to watch a 3D BD in 2D the BD must have a selection for 2D in the menu. If it does it just plays the left eye content (right is just packed difference info). Disney doesn't allow 2D selection because they use floating windows and this would look "weird" in 2D.

Thanks for all the replies fellas...But as u can see, a lot of conflicting info here...I guess I will have to find out when my stuff gets here....William, I have read on a few other threads what you talk about shutting off one "eye" content to allow for 3d...

I have heard the degredation in quality is pretty much nil...My biggest reason for asking is that on Ebay u can buy movies like tangled and megamind(samsung version) that the seller only includes the 3d disk...It would be nice to know that I could also watch it in 2d mode if I got tired or fatigued from the glasses...Thanks again for the replies...
post #8 of 8 Old 05-22-2012, 02:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandborn View Post

Thanks for all the replies fellas...But as u can see, a lot of conflicting info here...I guess I will have to find out when my stuff gets here....William, I have read on a few other threads what you talk about shutting off one "eye" content to allow for 3d...

I have heard the degredation in quality is pretty much nil...My biggest reason for asking is that on Ebay u can buy movies like tangled and megamind(samsung version) that the seller only includes the 3d disk...It would be nice to know that I could also watch it in 2d mode if I got tired or fatigued from the glasses...Thanks again for the replies...

Generally you should prefer movies where the 2D and 3D versions are on separate discs. In order to display properly, 3D must have significantly boosted contrast, brightness and color. IF you view that as 2D (one eye), it won't look as good as a version that is authored for normal 2D.

So generally on discs that are "combo 2D/3D", if the 2D presentation looks good, the 3D will be dark with less color and detail. Or if the 3D looks right, the 2D won't.

These issues are usually less obvious on animated films that are super-bright to begin with. Many of the early bundled titles fall into this category with both presentations on one disc.
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page