Men in Black 3d - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 05-26-2012, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Saw this today and enjoyed the story. It was fun. However, without knowing, Im guessing the 3d was converted. It was rather flat with little to no depth to the image in most parts. No memorable popout, but still worth a watch if you liked the original. I will never watch anything in 2d if it is available in 3d. The quality of this 3d is what people are complaining about, if there was no extra charge it would be excusable, but at an upcharge, the quality of the 3d in this movie is insulting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 05-26-2012, 10:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Yup, its a conversion. I'm going to see it tomorrow i think and i plan on seeing the bright, clear 2D version despite being a 3D fanatic.
post #3 of 28 Old 05-27-2012, 03:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 36
CinemaBlend give it a 32/35: http://www.cinemablend.com/new/3D-Or...ket-31114.html

I'm seeing it tomorrow morning (technically today) for $3, thanks to the $5 KFC savings on Fandango.com. There's also one on MovieTickets.com.
post #4 of 28 Old 05-27-2012, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

I saw plenty of depth throughout and at least two full off the screen gimmicks. I thought it was one of the best conversions I've seen, and I've seen them all. That said, I was more impressed by the native 3-D trailers.
post #5 of 28 Old 05-27-2012, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve P. View Post

I saw plenty of depth throughout and at least two full off the screen gimmicks. I thought it was one of the best conversions I've seen, and I've seen them all. That said, I was more impressed by the native 3-D trailers.

I stand by my original review.
post #6 of 28 Old 05-27-2012, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Saw this today as well. While there' no mistaking it for a natively shot film, I thought it displayed a moderate amount of depth and I saw plenty of popouts: various ray guns pointed at the screen, lasers shooting out at you, the tip of the Empire State and Apollo 11 sticking out and lots of smoke effects and alien entrails flying out. I also think Agent J's time jump to 1969 is one of the best 3D sequences yet filmed - native or post conversion. As is the case with so many 3D films, individual persons tolerances for 3D and the quality of the projection system will impact the experience but I for one thought it was a worthwhile 3D presentation.

As to the quality of the movie itself, I found it quite entertaining; not as good as the original MiB but far better than MiB II. Half the fun with these films is spotting all the "so and so is an alien" or "so and so is an MiB agent" and there's plenty of those types of gags in this movie. The whole time travel angle is handled moderately well and an appearance by Andy Warhol is another highlight.

I definitely plan to pick it up when the 3D BluRay is released.
post #7 of 28 Old 05-27-2012, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Saw it today. I was mostly unimpressed. I need wholesome 3D from start to finish, not just spotty gimmick moments. There were nice looking 3D moments scattered throughout, but the typical scene was relatively flat. Worth a $1 premium at best.
post #8 of 28 Old 05-28-2012, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Another dreadful conversion then. I won't even bother looking at this one in 3D based on Cakefoo's comments.

When will they learn?
post #9 of 28 Old 05-28-2012, 08:43 AM

I thought the 3D was used very creatively. Most, if not all, scenes were clearly framed with 3D in mind. In fact, I loved the 3D in the scenes with the POV tower jump and the lasers in the electronics shop.

There was good image separation the whole time, and plenty of negative parallax was used. The one major problem was that they didn't warp people or objects enough to give them a solid volume. Humans looked very much like cardboard cutouts, moreso than other recent conversions. It was kind of like watching a warped pop-up book.

The movie itself was pretty good. I don't think I would want to watch it in 2D though. I'd rather have creative, but under-dimensionalized 3D.
post #10 of 28 Old 05-28-2012, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Not all scenes were framed with 3D in mind, just a spotty few here and there to fulfill a 3D quota.

For instance Will Smith in a scene climbs down some of those metal scaffolding stairs you see on the sides of apartment buildings in alleys- it could have been an intense and immersive action shot like Hugo sliding down the spiral slide, but they just planted the camera 30 feet away, static, and wide, with no dimensionality.

The movie, being a comedy, also had many dialog shots, and they were all shallow focused closeups with nothing aesthetically pleasing about them.

The formula seemed to be, there would be a relatively exciting establishing shot at the start of a scene, followed by 3 minutes of boring dialog, and every ten scenes or so would have a gun or projectile stick slightly out of the screen.

This movie was about on par with Green Hornet. These kinds of movies should be exiled. I want people to stop thinking 3D is pointless just because the movies marketed to them typically have mediocre 3D. Hollywood needs to protect 3D's reputation by marketing the heck out of movies like Hugo and Great Gatsby and Life of Pi. "3D" will lose its luster if people only see postconverted moneygrabs like Star Trek 2, Avengers, and Men in Black.
post #11 of 28 Old 05-28-2012, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Saw it yesterday with the wife. Movie was good and 3D was ok. Even so, I'm still upset with tame 3D. I just wish movies would go all out sometimes.
post #12 of 28 Old 05-29-2012, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

Saw this today as well. While there' no mistaking it for a natively shot film, I thought it displayed a moderate amount of depth and I saw plenty of popouts: various ray guns pointed at the screen, lasers shooting out at you, the tip of the Empire State and Apollo 11 sticking out and lots of smoke effects and alien entrails flying out. I also think Agent J's time jump to 1969 is one of the best 3D sequences yet filmed - native or post conversion. As is the case with so many 3D films, individual persons tolerances for 3D and the quality of the projection system will impact the experience but I for one thought it was a worthwhile 3D presentation.

I agree with Tony, in reading peoples opinions of the sucess of a 3D film, both native and conversion, it seems "individual persons tolerances for 3D and the quality of the projection system will impact the experience." I felt that the last two conversions MIB3 and Avengers were both well done and enjoyable. I seemed to see a lot more going on 3D wise than many viewers. Don't know if it's me or the quality of the theaters I'm visiting. Anyway, I've been very pleased with these conversions and felt they both added to my enjoyment of these films. I would very much rather seem them in 3D.

With these latest well done conversions and two high profile native 3D pictures on the horizion, I hope 3D will get a shot in the arm for the general public. Nothing will convince the haters.
post #13 of 28 Old 05-29-2012, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I've read a couple of testimonies from former haters who had a change of heart so don't count em all out just yet. They hate hard and mean but inside they are girly banana cream puffs.
post #14 of 28 Old 05-30-2012, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefoo View Post

Not all scenes were framed with 3D in mind, just a spotty few here and there to fulfill a 3D quota.

For instance Will Smith in a scene climbs down some of those metal scaffolding stairs you see on the sides of apartment buildings in alleys- it could have been an intense and immersive action shot like Hugo sliding down the spiral slide, but they just planted the camera 30 feet away, static, and wide, with no dimensionality.

The movie, being a comedy, also had many dialog shots, and they were all shallow focused closeups with nothing aesthetically pleasing about them.

The formula seemed to be, there would be a relatively exciting establishing shot at the start of a scene, followed by 3 minutes of boring dialog, and every ten scenes or so would have a gun or projectile stick slightly out of the screen.

This movie was about on par with Green Hornet. These kinds of movies should be exiled. I want people to stop thinking 3D is pointless just because the movies marketed to them typically have mediocre 3D. Hollywood needs to protect 3D's reputation by marketing the heck out of movies like Hugo and Great Gatsby and Life of Pi. "3D" will lose its luster if people only see postconverted moneygrabs like Star Trek 2, Avengers, and Men in Black.

If they only made movies like Hugo and the Great Gatsby in 3D I would sell my TV. I'd like to see movies that are enjoyable to watch AND have great 3D. The original Gatsby with Robert Redford bombed at the box office.
post #15 of 28 Old 05-30-2012, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMike View Post

I seemed to see a lot more going on 3D wise than many viewers. Don't know if it's me or the quality of the theaters I'm visiting.

Nothing will convince the haters.

Some have an expectation of quality 3D, not inconsistent after the fact conversions that are only produced to fleece money from the public.

3D HAS to be driven by the artists, not the suits in studios. Where it is, the results are spectacular, (Hugo, Avatar etc) where it isn't the results are never as good as they could be and are often woefully inadequate.
post #16 of 28 Old 05-30-2012, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcdesign View Post

Some have an expectation of quality 3D, not inconsistent after the fact conversions that are only produced to fleece money from the public.

Great Storytelling HAS to be driven by the artists, not the suits in studios. Where it is, the results are spectacular, (Breakfast at Tiffany's, Moneyball) where it isn't the results are never as good as they could be and are often woefully inadequate.

FTFY.

From what I understand, those films almost didn't get made due to studio meddling.

In other words, 3D is just another tool to be used or mis-used.

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #17 of 28 Old 05-30-2012, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed32 View Post

If they only made movies like Hugo and the Great Gatsby in 3D I would sell my TV. I'd like to see movies that are enjoyable to watch AND have great 3D. The original Gatsby with Robert Redford bombed at the box office.

I'm referring only to the 3D aspect- I wish they'd stop postconverting and shoot more native. Make Avengers with 3D that is on par with Hugo, and I'll be ecstatic.
post #18 of 28 Old 05-31-2012, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

I'm referring only to the 3D aspect- I wish they'd stop postconverting and shoot more native. Make Avengers with 3D that is on par with Hugo, and I'll be ecstatic.

Yes!!!!!!
post #19 of 28 Old 05-31-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma View Post

FTFY.

From what I understand, those films almost didn't get made due to studio meddling.

In other words, 3D is just another tool to be used or mis-used.

shinksma

You have quoted my post in your post but changed the content! That is not appropriate! I made no mention whatsover of "great story telling" or the movies Breakfast at Tiffanys or Moneyball. If you want to make the point that great story telling has to be driven by the artist, do it in your own post!
post #20 of 28 Old 05-31-2012, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

FTFY means "fixed that for you." It's used widely on forums as a way of saying you're on the right track but this needs tweaking.

I don't think he was saying you were wrong though- just that there were similar struggles decades ago with other tools?
post #21 of 28 Old 06-01-2012, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:

FTFY means "fixed that for you." It's used widely on forums as a way of saying you're on the right track but this needs tweaking.

I don't think he was saying you were wrong though- just that there were similar struggles decades ago with other tools?

Yes, precisely.

cbcdesign, if this is your first encounter with "FTFY", my apologies. It is widely used in the parts of the Internet I inhabit.

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #22 of 28 Old 06-03-2012, 04:28 PM

Liked: 10
MIB3 had 'OK' 3D effects at the cinema. It wasn't anything amazing, just like Avengers Assemble. On a smaller screen I imagine most people are going to struggle seeing 3D in most places with both these movies.
post #23 of 28 Old 06-06-2012, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma View Post

Yes, precisely.

cbcdesign, if this is your first encounter with "FTFY", my apologies. It is widely used in the parts of the Internet I inhabit.

shinksma

lmao
post #24 of 28 Old 06-06-2012, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMike View Post

With these latest well done conversions and two high profile native 3D pictures on the horizion, I hope 3D will get a shot in the arm for the general public. Nothing will convince the haters.

Avengers just gave 3D a billion dollar shot in the arm. The native 3D in Prometheus even earned a positive 3D review from Ebert, which is extremely rare. The Hobbit should do well this Christmas. As for conversions, G.I. Joe was pushed back to add 3D. Jurassic Park and Finding Nemo are coming in 3D, and they just announced Independence Day 3D as well. Titanic's 3D rerelease made another $300 million worldwide. Lion King brought in over $175 million last year. 3D is not going anywhere, despite the whining of the naysayers. Expect a steady stream of new and old films being converted along with plenty of new ones filmed natively. This is an enjoyable time for fans of 3D. The hundreds of millions of dollars being spent by fans speaks louder to the studios than the complaints from those who want it to go away.

PETER JACKSON: The theatrical versions are the definitive versions.
post #25 of 28 Old 06-06-2012, 11:50 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musictechguy View Post

MIB3 had 'OK' 3D effects at the cinema. It wasn't anything amazing, just like Avengers Assemble. On a smaller screen I imagine most people are going to struggle seeing 3D in most places with both these movies.

Don't be so sure. I enjoy 3D films post-converted or native more on my home 3DTV setup than I do at most theaters. Most of the time the 3D effect is more pronounced in my home theater than it was at the cinema. There is no "struggle" seeing the depth on the home screen.
post #26 of 28 Old 06-07-2012, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefoo View Post

I don't

think he was saying you were wrong though- just that there were similar struggles decades ago with other tools?

Ahh! So that's what it means! I am afraid at my age, (47) its difficult to keep up with all the abbreviations that are so rife now on the net.
Thanks for enlightening me.

You are easily amused aren’t you audiovideoholic? The internet I inhabit is largely populated with Industrial Electronic Engineering types where abbreviations of this nature are just not used. So you will excuse the fact that I was unfamiliar with the term just as you couldn't be expected to have the first clue what i2r represents! smile.gif
post #27 of 28 Old 06-07-2012, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantchicken View Post

Avengers just gave 3D a billion dollar shot in the arm. The native 3D in Prometheus even earned a positive 3D review from Ebert, which is extremely rare. The Hobbit should do well this Christmas. As for conversions, G.I. Joe was pushed back to add 3D. Jurassic Park and Finding Nemo are coming in 3D, and they just announced Independence Day 3D as well.

I, ROBOT is also coming in 3D BD this year as well

post #28 of 28 Old 06-07-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

I, ROBOT is also coming in 3D BD this year as well
Courtesy of JVC conversion algorithms. I'm pretty skeptical of that 3D's proposed quality. Would definitely need a non-biased demo before buying.
Reply 3D Content

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page