Prometheus 3D reviews (theater) - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 100 Old 06-26-2012, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Sounds like a problem with the projection setup. I saw it in ReaD here, and it was excellent.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 100 Old 07-02-2012, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi2016 View Post

Sounds like a problem with the projection setup. I saw it in ReaD here, and it was excellent.

well it pays to complain. called amc and told them about the flawed showing of prometheus we were subjected to, and the ciniplex manager gave me 2 free passes to any other movie we want to see there.

will use them for batman i suppose.

neflixis our nemesis
post #93 of 100 Old 07-02-2012, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 114
The question is, did they make any mention of efforts to look into and correct the issue?
post #94 of 100 Old 07-03-2012, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

The question is, did they make any mention of efforts to look into and correct the issue?

they said that the digital imax projectors require daily calibration which should have keep the 3d image sharp. the manager did say sometimes their projectionist forgets to calibrate it and suggested that was the cause. he also did not seem surprised at my complaint which made me think this happens more than one would assume.

neflixis our nemesis
post #95 of 100 Old 07-09-2012, 05:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by maintman View Post

Sorry, but it was fairly lame. It felt like a Mass Effect or Dead Space type video game translation - Not a mind-blowing/epic Alien prequel. The movie is okay if I pretend that I've never known the concept of the original Alien. There isn't much to add to it that the audience hasn't already seen in the trailer. The characters are lackluster, and the designs are pretty flat. Some characters are annoying, and you are ready to see them die, rather than be scared for them. Charlize Theron's stiff board of a character was a total waste, and it was pointless to use Guy Pierce for his part. The suspense and scares weren't really there, and the score sucked. I thought I liked natural 3d, but maybe not if this considered great natural 3d. (Was Avatar and Hugo not natural?) It seemed very average (IMAX), and would have been fine seeing it in 2d. I feel that 3d should give a 'wow' experience while also remaining natural. Maybe I just expect too much, but I think it's a total loss of great potential. Thank goodness for Game of Thrones!!

Go to Wikapedia and read the plot and the logic behind this "prequel". It was originally intended to be more Alien like but was changed (re-written) because of this.

You may feel differently after you read this info.

I, for one , was very satisfied with the story line and looking forward to the next installment.
post #96 of 100 Old 07-11-2012, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bontrager View Post

plot and the logic

I think what folks miss when discussing movies after the fact on forums is that you generally have a visceral reaction to a movie while it's happening and that's a huge part of the experience for most people. For me, a big part of the overall visceral experience is the score. I recall thinking that the score wasn't pulling me in during the movie, though now I can't really remember it (which is damning in it's own way I suppose).

There tends to be a lot of talk about plot this and logic that, but I can live with a large degree of ambiguity, questionable motivations, and plot inconsistencies and even weak dialogue if there's at least something compelling going on. Like, say, compelling characters doing interesting things, editing that gives things an interesting flow, and/or a score that elevates the material. I think the movie failed at those things more often than not. The left brain stuff is interesting too, but the movie-going experience isn't ALL about the left hemisphere.

So the movie overall didn't quite click for me, and I suspect for reasons not often discussed.

I do look forward to borrowing or renting it on Blu-ray to give it another chance. Sometimes movies are better on a second viewing and/or at home.
post #97 of 100 Old 07-12-2012, 03:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I too like a good score and I am particulary fond of the composer Thomas Newman who is in my eyes one of the best working in movies today. But I don't think this movie would have worked particularly well with a score that stands out in the way that his do and in fact Alien had a similar score to Prometheus in terms of it barely registering and that movie worked very well indeed. Sometimes the absense of a themed score works just as well as the more prevelant ones do.
post #98 of 100 Old 07-12-2012, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Besides movies, I also collect wildlife discs like David Attenborough's sets. So I thought the Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
nature scene at the beginning was awesome. The fast moving camera through the clouds, over the landscape and through the rapids. Then a giant shadow of something from above appears smile.gif...great way to start a movie.
post #99 of 100 Old 11-19-2012, 01:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Friggin AWESOME movie.

PS3 PR-SC5509 HC9000D Paradigm Reference Studio v.2 all matched,
On the PJ, I change settings betw 2D/3D to milk out max brightness for 3D
it works well for me.

Absolutely fantastic 3D, sent shivers down my spine,
well done disc.

Sound mastering is exemplary, the dialogues in the large hall or effects in the
caves create a very credible stage.

I do believe that some movies shot in 2D have horrible
3D remasters.

Native 3D is the way to go.

The only movie coming close to it is "Under The Sea 3D" Jim Carey's jokes give
it a special flavor too.

But then again I have only seen 10 movies in 3D so far, I am a firm believer, and
my kids classmates and parents just keep wanting to come to our basement, so
much so that we are at 10 pairs of 3D glasses now:)
post #100 of 100 Old 11-26-2012, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Having seen the theatrical release, I must admit I was a bit underwhelmed by the 3D in this film at the time. But I ordered the BD anyway, and was amazed by how much better the film looked on my 73" DLP TV. I tweaked the 3D settings on my Panasonic DMP-BDP220 as well as the ADV video settings on the Mitsubishi, and that greatly improved the depth and realism of the entire presentation.
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page