Liked: 10
Doesn't it come out next Friday?
post #3 of 100 Old 06-01-2012, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 32
It's released in other parts of the world and getting reviews by forum members on Neogaf.

I suck at reviews, but I'll see it the morning of June 8th and give my impressions of the 3D and the movie itself.

My Videos

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

post #4 of 100 Old 06-01-2012, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I apologize. I was under the impression the U.S. would have the earliest release. I don't care much for "professional" reviews, I always prefer the review of the average movie see-er.
post #5 of 100 Old 06-01-2012, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Cant wait will be attending midnight showing of this.
post #6 of 100 Old 06-01-2012, 05:34 PM

Cant wait,i will be seeing it next sat.I read one review from a critic from london.He mentioned the 3d was amazing.
post #7 of 100 Old 06-01-2012, 06:30 PM

Can't wait. Movie looks amazing!!
post #8 of 100 Old 06-02-2012, 07:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Is there a trailer for this on any of the recent 3D Blu-rays?

Can someone list the good trailers and what discs they are on, since I am too lazy to go back through my collection?
post #9 of 100 Old 06-03-2012, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Amazon.com now has a pre-order up for this (currently $35-ish), and if you are one of the first 5000 pre-orders you get a movie pass to see it in theaters.

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #10 of 100 Old 06-03-2012, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma View Post

Amazon.com now has a pre-order up for this (currently $35-ish), and if you are one of the first 5000 pre-orders you get a movie pass to see it in theaters.

shinksma

Yep...and the same offer applies to MEN IN BLACK 3

post #11 of 100 Old 06-04-2012, 03:47 AM

Liked: 48
Went to see Prometheus last night!

The 3D is very good indeed. Very few pop-out scenes but lots of depth and well rounded characters throughout. It's another one of those movies where the 3D is used so well that its a natural part of the visual experience and you soon get swept along with the story and forget you are watching a 3D film

That is not to say the 2D would be as good, the 3D definately adds something to the experience but because its well shot 3D and natural, nothing looks odd and pulls you out of the moment.

All these young directors take note: The "seasoned" directors using 3D creatively (JC, MS, PJ, SP & RC) are putting the younger lot to shame. It's the young that are supposed to embrace the new technologies. Time to catch up with the old pro's who have already done so isn't it?

A brief word about the actual movie, its really gory and that are some pretty replusive scenes in it that will make the girls cover their eyes! The plot has been described by one or two critics as complicated but frankly that isn't the case. It all makes perfect sense although it could be argued that the story asks more questions than it answers. It's certainly ripe for a sequel.

This though doesn't have the same slow paced tone of the original Alien so you will be dissapointed if you are execting that. Alien was made 30 years ago and times have changed! With film makers like Michael Bay packing wall to wall action into their movies, I think modern audience expect a certain amount of action in a modern sci-fi and the slow pace of Alien may not work as well today. Prometheus has more action and a bit less tension but ties in very nicely with the original movie and the events that happen in Alien could easily follow the events in this movie.

I loved it and it was everything I was hoping for when Ridley Scott announced that he was making it. Go and see it!
edtorious likes this.
post #12 of 100 Old 06-04-2012, 08:36 AM

How does the free movie pass offer work. I pre-ordered this morning and saw the offer listed. Do you actually have to wait until the movies ships to receive your pass?
post #13 of 100 Old 06-04-2012, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panic 66 View Post

How does the free movie pass offer work. I pre-ordered this morning and saw the offer listed. Do you actually have to wait until the movies ships to receive your pass?

You should receive a notification e-mail with a link in about 48 hours. Ordeedr both PROMEZTHEUS and MIB 3 at the same time. I got the e-mail for PROMETHEUS but nothing for MIB 3

post #14 of 100 Old 06-04-2012, 08:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panic 66 View Post

I believe there is a download from Fandango for the tickets. Here is the Amazon page with the deal:

Prometheus Blu-ray Preorder/Movie Tickets Deal

UPDATE: Looks like they've already burned thru the first 5,000 people, so the movie tickets are no longer available with BD preorder... :-(

Fine Music, Movies, Wine, and Friends - A Life Well Lived!
post #15 of 100 Old 06-04-2012, 03:31 PM

I believe the Fandango link was just there as an advertisement and option to order tickets through Fandango. I am hoping to receive a follow up e-mail with the the link in the next day or so like cinema13 mentioned.
post #16 of 100 Old 06-04-2012, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
post #17 of 100 Old 06-06-2012, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
3D Cinema at cinemablend.com gave it a "near perfect" for 3D (32 out of 35 points).

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #18 of 100 Old 06-06-2012, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Saw it at the BFI IMAX in London. Loads of crosstalk from start to finish, some depth but nothing that made me go 'WOW'.
post #19 of 100 Old 06-07-2012, 02:47 AM
AVS Special Member

post #20 of 100 Old 06-07-2012, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

Saw it at the BFI IMAX in London. Loads of crosstalk from start to finish, some depth but nothing that made me go 'WOW'.

It sounds like something was very wrong at your imax in that case. There was no crosstalk whatsoever at the theatre at which I saw it.
I think Robert Ebert has summarised the movie quite nicely in that one sentence.
post #21 of 100 Old 06-07-2012, 11:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
...just saw it
prequel or what not, dont care, it was good, and turned out medium scary. ....when is part 2 coming???
3D is natural
post #22 of 100 Old 06-08-2012, 12:04 PM

I just saw it in IMAX 3d. Movie is pretty good. Wouldn't say it's great...almost. There was some crosstalk but 3d wasn't even a factor to be honest. It provided some decent depth but not very much. I would say it added absolutely nothing to the movie. Not a single pop out and the depth that was in there was subtle which can be nice but if you are going to do 3d in a sci fi movie there should be some wow factor and there just wasn't.
post #23 of 100 Old 06-08-2012, 12:52 PM

Liked: 12
Sorry, but it was fairly lame. It felt like a Mass Effect or Dead Space type video game translation - Not a mind-blowing/epic Alien prequel. The movie is okay if I pretend that I've never known the concept of the original Alien. There isn't much to add to it that the audience hasn't already seen in the trailer. The characters are lackluster, and the designs are pretty flat. Some characters are annoying, and you are ready to see them die, rather than be scared for them. Charlize Theron's stiff board of a character was a total waste, and it was pointless to use Guy Pierce for his part. The suspense and scares weren't really there, and the score sucked. I thought I liked natural 3d, but maybe not if this considered great natural 3d. (Was Avatar and Hugo not natural?) It seemed very average (IMAX), and would have been fine seeing it in 2d. I feel that 3d should give a 'wow' experience while also remaining natural. Maybe I just expect too much, but I think it's a total loss of great potential. Thank goodness for Game of Thrones!!
post #24 of 100 Old 06-08-2012, 01:48 PM

Saw it a few hours ago, @ the same theater I believe I saw Avatar in 3D years ago.
Very high production value, as you'd expect, but I came away feeling I missed something.

Like others have posted, the 3D is natural; but it was so natural to me that I completely forgot I was watching a 3D movie...and not because I was so drawn into the movie by the plot or characters. Every now and then, there were "depth" cues, but nothing that (IMO) made the story/movie just that much more of an experience in 3D...unlike Avatar.

But I suggest everyone see it for themselves. I enjoyed the movie, but as a few here or elsewhere have noted, it didn't (again, IMO) really bring anything new or thought-provoking to the ALIEN franchise table; but the plot and character actions do raise many more questions within the context of this movie. Perhaps that was the intent. With me, there was no identification with any of the characters...so as one poster commented, I felt nothing good or bad for them as they went through their individual experiences.

I have to admit though, the sound @ the IMAX theater I attended was pretty decent overall...not my usual experience...but it was still a little shrill. I'm guessing they @ least made an attempt to properly set up/equalize the sound for this particiular presentation beforehand.

As with Avatar (again, same theater), the DLP picture was very sharp & bright; with no screen door effect once the movie started. As one professional reviewer stated, the movie is definitely better than the 2nd and 3rd sequels.
post #25 of 100 Old 06-08-2012, 05:40 PM

Thats so awesome to me that everyone is saying almost the exact same thing I said. I went with a couple of my friends and my statement afterwards was something along the lines of this "there is really two different options for 3d in a film, depth or pop out, there was no pop out and there was no depth either". to that my friend responded with "maybe it wasnt meant to have either", so my answer was "then why is it in 3d"...

As far as the movie was concerned there was too much left unanswered. I'm all for movies that make you think after the film "shutter island, sucker punch, what was in the case in pulp fiction) but I really just felt like I watched an old cartoon series like x-men or spider-man, 1 whole season all in one sitting. I remember thinking like 5 times in the theater "wait what the f is this now, and what happened to ___, we just arent going to talk about that anymore" it was as if the film focused on different plot ideas without really resolving any of them or dicussing them. I could think of like 5 things off of the top of my head that I cannot comprehend why they happened or their relevance to the plot.
post #26 of 100 Old 06-08-2012, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

You guys are either blind or the RealD version must be really... REALLY inferior to LieMAX (which I highly, highly doubt).

There was plenty of 3D. The more subtle instances? I'm pretty sure it was intentional as part of the depth script.

The movie itself was pretty good, story was a little questionable but I was on the edge of my seat the whole time and thought all the actors did fantastic, Noomi Rapace, Fassbender, Theron, Elba, etc.

I would say that it is an emotionally and aesthetically engaging movie. I smiled for the entire last 5-10 minutes of it.

My Videos

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

post #27 of 100 Old 06-08-2012, 09:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
......No wonder Predators are armed to the F'ing teeth, living in that universe......

Went back to LV-426 last night at my favorite 3D theater which was surprisingly bright and the clarity during motion seemed even better than before, like they upgraded the projector or something.

3D: Some of the best shots i've seen yet and early on i found myself thinking they're finally getting it right. The problem was though that it was not consistent at all and afterwards i realized most of the really nice shots were depth shots that were appropriate for the scene, but no pop-out. I really think they just need to go to full time pop-out and essentially make something that is physically close to the camera, always physically close to you and let people get used to pop-out touching edges. You can have both, contrary to what brahby said and that is exactly what theater goers have been missing and it would look amazing as long as it was all in focus.

Movie: A must see as far as im concerned. They made some editing or story choices that kind of set the believability of the movie off balance, mainly as far as not explaining where character's sudden changes in emotion came from. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
The sudden determination of the crew to sacrifice themselves despite my imagination that they had been reading comic books off screen the whole time was one of them. Then the goofy attack on the docking bay by one of the guys stuck after the storm i think could have replaced with so many better scenes available due to the awesome setting and story. Then there was the Alien at the end, or was it a Platypus dinosaur? It wasn't a traditional Alien and i think it should have been, since there was bound to be some people in the audience who didn't know this was an Alien, but especially since thats what people love and thats what i wanted to see.

I loved the overall story and the idea that LV-246 is a biological weapons depot and Aliens are essentially a weapon having actually been used to wipe out entire planets is mind boggling, creepy, scary and jaw dropping to think about. The Alien canisters had a sort of military look to them. No wonder Predators are armed to the F'ing teeth in that universe.
post #28 of 100 Old 06-09-2012, 04:06 AM

I agree with Cakefoo. There was plenty of 3D, nice natural looking 3D too where depth perception drops in darker scenes as it does in the real world but where there is plenty of depth in lighter scenes. And it should be natural so we forget its in 3D too. We don't watch movies thinking "wow, its in colour" and we don't walk around admiring the 3D in the real world. It's a natural part of our vision. If we look for 3D in prometheus is clearly there but its not a distraction and that is precisely what decent 3D is all about for me at least.

Oh and if you think AVatar had consistent 3D in every shot, you are mistaken. There are plenty of shots looking across the top of vast woodlands where the 3D is pretty flat, much like they would appear in the real world. Depth perception drops off beyong about 200 feet, something they got wrong in the opening Paris scene in Hugo incidently.

As for the unanswered questions, I think we need to wait for the sequel for that just as we had to after the Fellowship of the Ring end credits rolled in the Lord of the Rings trilogy.
post #29 of 100 Old 06-09-2012, 06:35 AM

I saw it in IMAX 3d and still felt the depth wasn't there. There certainly was times you knew it was 3d but only because of holographic screens or text overlapping something. Im not asking for a film loaded with pop out but to me I just did not see any depth really ever.
post #30 of 100 Old 06-09-2012, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

I also saw it in IMAX 3d and was somewhat disappointed. I get the whole "natural 3d" thing, but for a sci-fi movie in an unnatural world I think the 3d could have been used more effectively.

Even on earth in the caves with the drawings (not a spoiler - this is shown in the trailers), I immediately thought how much more effective Werner Herzog's Cave of Forgotten Dreams was in showing essentially the same thing and he achieved that with a consumer grade 3d camcorder.

As for the story, while there were elements I liked, Jon Spaihts (The Darkest Hour) simply wasn't the right person to trust as screenwriter. The Darkest Hour was plagued by horrible plotholes and poor character development as well.
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page