Just got my 3D TV, which movies should I check out to get the full effect? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 62 Old 06-14-2012, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just got a Panasonic GT50 model. I watched Clash of the Titans and was not impressed at all. I'm guessing animated movies is what really does the trick? I want to see that pop out on my TV and just didn't see it in this movie.

Is there any settings you recommend? I saw this pop out setting that went from 0 to 4. Is this a setting based upon preference only? Like how much 3D can your eye's take before it's awkward? Any suggestions would be great on movies with excellent 3D and/or settings for 3D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 Old 06-14-2012, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
For a non animated 3D movie we enjoyed Hugo 3D.
edtorious likes this.
post #3 of 62 Old 06-14-2012, 07:58 AM

These seem to be some of the universal fav's around here:

Under the Sea
Resident Evil Afterlife
Legend of the Guardians
Tangled
Both Journey movies (Center of the Earth and Mysterious Island)
Despicable Me
Monsters vs Aliens
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
Drive Angry
edtorious likes this.
post #4 of 62 Old 06-14-2012, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. Did some reading. Looks like there is a few good ones out there. I'll give that one a look too.
post #5 of 62 Old 06-14-2012, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post

These seem to be some of the universal fav's around here:
Under the Sea
Resident Evil Afterlife
Legend of the Guardians
Tangled
Both Journey movies (Center of the Earth and Mysterious Island)
Despicable Me
Monsters vs Aliens
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
Drive Angry

Thank you. It's amazing how many horrible movies I will watch just for 3D effects! biggrin.gif
post #6 of 62 Old 06-14-2012, 08:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Try to avoid 2d -> 3d conversions like Clash.
For live action shot in native 3d both Journey movies have good 3d.
IMAX Deep Sea 3d and Under the Sea 3D are good.
The Polar Express 3D is good 3d.
I also recommend World War II in 3D for it's historical look at 3d.

td
post #7 of 62 Old 06-14-2012, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Ok so when I see that icon pop up on my TV (2D --> 3D) that is telling me it's a conversion?

One other thing to ask. I have AT&T Uverse and was watching TV and saw a pop up that said "3D Detected, switch to 3D mode to watch". Not sure how that happened as AT&T doesn't have 3D Tv from what I read.
post #8 of 62 Old 06-14-2012, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
That sounds more like the 2d -> 3d conversion ability of your TV, which provides only a hint of depth to a standard 2d picture and isn't worth using IMO, you want full 3d from films that were filmed with 3D cameras, everything else is a conversion and much like the aforementioned function, is a bit lackluster.
post #9 of 62 Old 06-14-2012, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

I picked up a few today. I watched Open Season in IMAX 3D and really liked it so picked that up today too. I recommend this one for 3D.
post #10 of 62 Old 06-15-2012, 05:41 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 509
How To Train Your Dragon is another fantastic 3d title with killer audio as well.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #11 of 62 Old 06-15-2012, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
New to the 3D world as well. I borrowed a few discs yesterday from my library. Popped in two of them to check it our. IMAX Under the Sea is amazing. Many times my family and I were reaching out to touch the various creatures. (We had to share one pair of glasses, more are on the way.) Another one I tried was Cars 2. There was good depth, but not a lot of popping out from the bits I watched. Also have Cave of Forgotten Dreams, but haven't tried that one yet.
Watching on 96" screen with DLP Link projector (Vivitek Qumi) and HDFury 4.
post #12 of 62 Old 06-16-2012, 06:19 PM

I suggest watching Avatar if you can get your hands on the disc. It was filmed using 3D technology and it uses it perfectly. It's very realistic during some scenes, especially when they are in the forest.
post #13 of 62 Old 06-17-2012, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Yep, I would say of the movies I have seen Avatar and Tangled would be the two that had the best 3D. Not the most pop out mind you, for that others are better.
post #14 of 62 Old 06-17-2012, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Captain America: The First Avenger is a solid post-conversion and a good title to get if you want to see a comic-book movie in 3D; it has a good sense of depth for most of its running time and a couple of nice pop-out effects.

Alice in Wonderland is another solid 2D>3D conversion that was shot with 3D in mind; a very imaginative movie chock full of interesting visuals.

As others have said, Journey to the Center of the Earth and Journey 2: Mysterious Island are two of the better live action titles available in terms of 3D. The stories are pretty goofy and the acting is, as expected, over the top but the visuals are top notch and both movies have plenty of pop-out effects.

Hubble 3D and Space Station 3D are two of the better live action Imax 3D titles and feature lots of great imagery from space; the 3D really suits these kinds of features well.

Giants of Patagonia is another Imax 3D title with some pretty intense dinosaur shots that will probably make you jump out of your seat once or twice.

The Universe: Seven Wonders of the Solar System is another fun 3D title that can be had for cheap and features lots of good CGI 3D imagery.
post #15 of 62 Old 06-17-2012, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

How To Train Your Dragon is another fantastic 3d title with killer audio as well.

I agree. I would also try tron legacy, hugo, transformers 3, and underworld 4.

Jacob
post #16 of 62 Old 06-17-2012, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. Have tried some. Not really blowin away with the 3D. Is there some settings that help? What is the preferred viewing distance? Seems the closer I am the better it is but I don't sit that close to any TV.
post #17 of 62 Old 06-17-2012, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad711 View Post

Thanks. Have tried some. Not really blowin away with the 3D. Is there some settings that help? What is the preferred viewing distance? Seems the closer I am the better it is but I don't sit that close to any TV.

what blu ray player do you have?
do you have the 2012 set? you will need the 2012 3d glasses for that.
I own the gt25. I have to use the older 3d glasses for it. I own two of the 3rd generation glasses.

Jacob
post #18 of 62 Old 06-18-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:

it depends on what you are looking for. are you wanting towatch the type of 3d that pops off your screen or the 3d with lots of depth? if you are looking for pop out than watch sammys adventure.
post #19 of 62 Old 06-18-2012, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

I'm looking for pop out. Thanks.

and I do have the right glasses jacob, thanks
post #20 of 62 Old 06-18-2012, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm looking for pop out. Thanks.
and I do have the right glasses jacob, thanks

the modern 3d is more about depth then pop out.

Jacob
post #21 of 62 Old 06-21-2012, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
My favorite 3D pop outs are listed in my blog:

http://3d-tv-gaming.blogspot.ca/2011/12/top-10-3d-pop-out-moments.html

Yogi the Bear, Under the Sea and Ultimate Wave Tahiti have some of the best pop-outs I've experienced.
post #22 of 62 Old 06-22-2012, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 357
New owner of a 65VT50 and picked up Underworld 4 in 3D which I was mostly impressed with. I borrowed Thor, Captain America, and Immortals from my friend and the only one that looked decent was Immortals but it is such a crap movie I can't justify a buy.

The 3D trailers on the Underworld disc the new Ghost Rider looked amazing. The first movie was gawdawful so can anyone comment on this title for 3D and content? Is it worth owning or just more garbage like the first? Also I see John Carter getting a lot of buzz but between the cheeseball trailers and box office flop I'd all but dismissed it.

I plan on picking up Transformers 3 and would like Piranha 3D but I've read Piranha is not worth watching in 3D.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #23 of 62 Old 06-22-2012, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

The 3D trailers on the Underworld disc the new Ghost Rider looked amazing. The first movie was gawdawful so can anyone comment on this title for 3D and content? Is it worth owning or just more garbage like the first. Also I see John Carter getting a lot of buzz but between the cheeseball trailers and box office flop I'd all but dismissed it.

I rented Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance from Vudu and it was, in my opinion, one of the absolute worst movies I've ever seen. I tend to be pretty forgiving when it comes to 3D movies but the plot, story and acting were just abhorrent on this one. There are a couple of interesting action sequences but overall the sense of depth seemed pretty weak to me and there was very little in the way of popouts out of the screen. To my eyes the original Ghost Rider was a masterpiece compared to this one.

With regard to John Carter, I own it and actually liked it. The movie plays out like a homage to those 1950s sci-fi B-movies; the plot is a bit on the convoluted side, the science behind the movie is flimsy at best and Taylor Kitsch makes for a sometimes stilted lead but it still held my attention. In terms of 3D, there is a mild sense of depth but again nothing in the way of pop out of the screen.
post #24 of 62 Old 06-22-2012, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

I rented Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance from Vudu and it was, in my opinion, one of the absolute worst movies I've ever seen. I tend to be pretty forgiving when it comes to 3D movies but the plot, story and acting were just abhorrent on this one. There are a couple of interesting action sequences but overall the sense of depth seemed pretty weak to me and there was very little in the way of popouts out of the screen. To my eyes the original Ghost Rider was a masterpiece compared to this one.
With regard to John Carter, I own it and actually liked it. The movie plays out like a homage to those 1950s sci-fi B-movies; the plot is a bit on the convoluted side, the science behind the movie is flimsy at best and Taylor Kitsch makes for a sometimes stilted lead but it still held my attention. In terms of 3D, there is a mild sense of depth but again nothing in the way of pop out of the screen.
Thanks for the save, that narrows down the list. Looks like Ultimate Wave is pretty cheap on amazon so I'll grab that and Transformers, I wonder if Wrath of the Titans will be worth getting. The reviews look pretty bad.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #25 of 62 Old 06-22-2012, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I own Ultimate Wave and as long as the subject matter is to your liking, you'll probably have a good time with it. Imax 3D BluRays typically have some of the best live action 3D and this is no exception with some great CG sequences to boot. Given what its selling for, I'd call it a steal.

I plan on picking up Wrath of the Titans next week as it has gotten some good write-ups for a post-conversion and most reviews seem to consider it an improvement over the original. I might not be able to get it till next Saturday but I'll be sure to post some impressions once I've had a chance to see it.
post #26 of 62 Old 06-23-2012, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

... Ultimate Wave ... Imax 3D BluRays typically have some of the best live action 3D and this is no exception with some great CG sequences to boot. Given what its selling for, I'd call it a steal. ....

Agreed!wink.gif

If you (or anyone reading this thread) lives near Fry's, about 14 IMAX 3D titles are $9.99 each + tax - including Ultimate Wave! (price good until 6-28-12)
post #27 of 62 Old 06-27-2012, 07:22 PM

Liked: 10
I watched A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas last night and it was pretty good, too. I wouldn't say it's better than Under the Sea (the only other 3D title I've watched on my HD33) but it had some good 3D moments. The movie itself didn't quite live up to the previous two. Either way, it may be worth watching if you're into that kind of flick. I don't see a lot of people talking about it; it seems to be overlooked.

I'm really anxious to try some of the recommended titles in this thread. I'd wager that a lot of the CGI films offer stunning visuals!
post #28 of 62 Old 07-02-2012, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Just picked up my first 3D blu ray, Journey to the Center of the Earth. I have heard the 3D is good in this, and BJ'S has it and a few oth Warner Bros. 3D blu rays with a $5 instant rebate, so it only came to $13.99
post #29 of 62 Old 07-02-2012, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
With the Panasonic 2012 3D TVs, you can watch several free excellent 3D demo titles using the built-in Viera Connect internet feature on the Vudu app.
You can also get a free $5.99 credit when you register an account with an email address (free) and first use Vudu on that new TV.
Vudu has a bunch of free short 3D HD titles like 3D movie trailers and clips from Tangled in 3D too.
To find a list of all Vudu's 3D titles - go to the collections list and find the 3D titles set.
post #30 of 62 Old 07-02-2012, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
A recently released 3D movie title that reportedly was shot with true 3D cameras is Underworld Awakening (3D blu-ray)
Another now availlable on 3D blu-ray is a movie from a couple years ago that was shot with the same 3D cameras as Avatar, Resident Evil Afterlife 3D

For reference, this site lists a bunch of 3D movie titles from the past few years and upcoming films and whether they are true 3D or fake (conversions):
http://realorfake3d.com/
Reply 3D Content

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt50 Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv , Clash Of The Titans Blu Ray , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Resident Evil Afterlife Blu Ray , Tangled Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Despicable Me Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Region Free , Monsters Vs Aliens Blu Ray , Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Resident by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page