Creature From the Black Lagoon in 3-D - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 66 Old 06-28-2012, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
GregK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 565
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Included in a Universal Classic Monsters: The Essentials Collection.
http://www.sacbee.com/2012/06/28/4595744/from-universal-studios-home-entertainment.html

Oct 9th!

324





UPDATE: Will also be sold separately!! The 3-D Bluray is currented listed on Amazon.uk

No word yet for a separate release in the States, but it is worth noting Universal BluRays are typically Region 0.

600
GregK is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 66 Old 06-28-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Very good news. I'm all in on this one. Been a waitin for this and got a very good bonus with the 3D Creature film. I hear it's 130.00 to 160.00 out of the gate.
jbug is offline  
post #3 of 66 Old 06-28-2012, 04:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Bfadams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Bethel, CT
Posts: 356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I didn't see any mention of colored glasses. Do you know if is the new 3D and not the old anaglyph type. I can't see them doing that, but it is billed as a bonus feature and probably cheaper to put out that way.
Bfadams is offline  
post #4 of 66 Old 06-28-2012, 04:54 PM
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfadams View Post

I didn't see any mention of colored glasses. Do you know if is the new 3D and not the old anaglyph type. I can't see them doing that, but it is billed as a bonus feature and probably cheaper to put out that way.
Quote:
the first ever offering of Creature from the Black Lagoon in its restored Blu-ray™ 3D version.

The current 3D method - not anaglyph
Lee Stewart is offline  
post #5 of 66 Old 06-28-2012, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cakefoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,811
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Seems like poor choice of words (or intentionally ambiguous), when they call the 3D a "bonus feature."
Quote:
Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954) Captured and imprisoned for scientific study, a living "amphibious missing link" becomes enamored with the head researcher's female assistant (Julie Adams). When the hideous creature escapes and kidnaps the object of his affection, a crusade is launched to rescue the helpless woman and cast the terrifying creature back to the depths from which he came. Featuring legendary makeup artist Bud Westmore's brilliantly designed monster, Creature from the Black Lagoon is an enduring tribute to the imaginative genius of its Hollywood creators.

Bonus Features:

*The Creature From The Black Lagoon in 3D

* Back to The Black Lagoon
* Production Photographs
* Feature Commentary with Film Historian Tom Weaver
* 100 Years of Universal: The Lot
* Trailer Gallery

Anaglyph Coraline edition would say, "Bonus 3D version."

Then again, no mention of anaglyph, so there's still hope.

Just don't set yourselves up for disappointment.

My Videos

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

cakefoo is offline  
post #6 of 66 Old 06-28-2012, 09:14 PM
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefoo View Post

Seems like poor choice of words (or intentionally ambiguous), when they call the 3D a "bonus feature."
Quote:
Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954) Captured and imprisoned for scientific study, a living "amphibious missing link" becomes enamored with the head researcher's female assistant (Julie Adams). When the hideous creature escapes and kidnaps the object of his affection, a crusade is launched to rescue the helpless woman and cast the terrifying creature back to the depths from which he came. Featuring legendary makeup artist Bud Westmore's brilliantly designed monster, Creature from the Black Lagoon is an enduring tribute to the imaginative genius of its Hollywood creators.
Bonus Features:
*The Creature From The Black Lagoon in 3D

* Back to The Black Lagoon
* Production Photographs
* Feature Commentary with Film Historian Tom Weaver
* 100 Years of Universal: The Lot
* Trailer Gallery
Anaglyph Coraline edition would say, "Bonus 3D version."
Then again, no mention of anaglyph, so there's still hope.
Just don't set yourselves up for disappointment.

Are they even releasing Anaglyph 3D Blu-rays anymore? I thought they stopped that a couple of years ago

Here are the specs - that leads me to believe it's a 3D BD:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Creature-from-the-Black-Lagoon-3D-Blu-ray/47026/
Lee Stewart is offline  
post #7 of 66 Old 06-28-2012, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
GregK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 565
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Agreed, Lee.

There's absolutely NO reason whatsoever to release CFBL in anaglyph.

I take the phrase "Bonus" as meaning: "Hey - We are actually providing the original 3-D version. You are not (just) getting the 2-D version again.

Hondo was recently released on Bluray. Having the original 3-D on tap would have been an excelllent bonus. ..Likely would have sold more copies as well.

Universal has excellent left / right elements to work from for this title.
GregK is offline  
post #8 of 66 Old 06-28-2012, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cakefoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,811
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Are they even releasing Anaglyph 3D Blu-rays anymore? I thought they stopped that a couple of years ago
Here are the specs - that leads me to believe it's a 3D BD:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Creature-from-the-Black-Lagoon-3D-Blu-ray/47026/
Thanks for the correction. I guess Jackass is one of the last noteworthy anaglyph releases.

My Videos

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

cakefoo is offline  
post #9 of 66 Old 06-29-2012, 12:00 AM
Senior Member
 
SFMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregK View Post

There's absolutely NO reason whatsoever to release CFBL in anaglyph.

Except corporate greed and a real lack of interest in blu-ray 3D support. I have seen a theatrical presentation of an anaglyph print of this film and own the anaglyph VHS version so they have the print available. Sure beats making a new blu-ray 3D master. I wouldn't get our hopes up. Universal hasn't been a real supporter of 3D in general and less blu-ray.

340
SFMike is offline  
post #10 of 66 Old 06-29-2012, 12:14 AM
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMike View Post

Except corporate greed and a real lack of interest in blu-ray 3D support. I have seen a theatrical presentation of an anaglyph print of this film and own the anaglyph VHS version so they have the print available. Sure beats making a new blu-ray 3D master. I wouldn't get our hopes up. Universal hasn't been a real supporter of 3D in general and less blu-ray.
340

According to IMDB, the original aspect ratio of CFTBL is 2.00:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046876/technical
Lee Stewart is offline  
post #11 of 66 Old 06-29-2012, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Shaded Dogfood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Terminus and the Lake of Light
Posts: 4,814
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Both The Creature From the Black Lagoon and Revenge of the Creature exist and have been presented in good 3-D prints, though there are a number of shots in the sequel that they either lost one of the eyes on or never had them originally.

CW Hinkle
Shaded Dogfood is offline  
post #12 of 66 Old 06-29-2012, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 40
The Creature release in 3D makes coming here more interesting. It had become kinda dull for me.
jbug is offline  
post #13 of 66 Old 07-09-2012, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 40
After all the post of wanting some ole school 3D, I'm surprised that this thread is dead.
jbug is offline  
post #14 of 66 Old 07-11-2012, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
GregK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 565
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
With CFBL in 3-D only being made available in the obviously more expensive Universal Monsters bluray box set, it may be a deal breaker for many who otherwise would have snatched it up if sold on its own.


Other than that, I wouldn't call the thread dead- More like hibernating until more information and/or reviews pop up. I for one can't wait to see it.
GregK is offline  
post #15 of 66 Old 07-13-2012, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jedi2016's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,421
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Same here, but I do share your apprehension about separate releases for these. I would buy CFTBL in a heartbeat standalone, but I'm still on the fence about the set. The others are great movies, no doubt, but I wonder how much they'll benefit from the resolution upgrade over the DVD versions I already have.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
Jedi2016 is offline  
post #16 of 66 Old 07-13-2012, 05:24 PM
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi2016 View Post

Same here, but I do share your apprehension about separate releases for these. I would buy CFTBL in a heartbeat standalone, but I'm still on the fence about the set. The others are great movies, no doubt, but I wonder how much they'll benefit from the resolution upgrade over the DVD versions I already have.

The films are in B & W aren't they? IMO - B & W films show the highest gain in PQ when going from DVD to BD due to the 4:2:0 Chroma Subsampling of BD.
Lee Stewart is offline  
post #17 of 66 Old 07-14-2012, 07:15 AM
Member
 
RolandL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

Very good news. I'm all in on this one. Been a waitin for this and got a very good bonus with the 3D Creature film. I hear it's 130.00 to 160.00 out of the gate.

On amazon.co.uk It says £37.49 but it comes up as £34.32 or $53.51 including shipping to the US at checkout.
RolandL is offline  
post #18 of 66 Old 07-14-2012, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jedi2016's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,421
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

The films are in B & W aren't they? IMO - B & W films show the highest gain in PQ when going from DVD to BD due to the 4:2:0 Chroma Subsampling of BD.
True, but the overall fidelity of many of the images from that era is less than what we get now. Not all of them, but a lot. You hit a point of diminishing returns, where most of the detail of the negative has already been retrieved, and scanning it and displaying it at a higher resolution doesn't really yield a significant improvement in detail. I've seen a few BDs of older releases where the BD displays a notable increase in fine grain detail, which results in a "cleaner" image than was available on DVD, but there's not actually any additional detail or texture from the content; the actors, costumes, sets, etc.

I'm not saying there can't be improvement and amazing output.. it all depends on the source. I've got Seven Samurai on BD, and I think it looks amazing, but I also think that's probably about as good as it's ever going to look. And I'm not saying that I won't buy this set when it's released, but it is a double-dip for most of those titles, so I'd want to see some comparisons. If the improvements are enough to warrant the cost (to me personally, mind), then I'll pick it up.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
Jedi2016 is offline  
post #19 of 66 Old 07-16-2012, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
GregK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 565
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I've seen 35mm samples of CFBL before, and what I viewed showed more detail when compared to the DVD. Add to that the Bluray will be shown in its original widescreen (1.85:1) format.

And a good news update: For those who can't afford or don't want to buy the entire Universal Essentials set, Amazon.uk is showing the CFBL 3-D Bluray as also being sold on its own.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Creature-Black-Lagoon-Blu-ray-Region/dp/B008LSAQPW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1342485005&sr=8-2

It would not surprise me if this soon carries over for the States as well..

600
GregK is offline  
post #20 of 66 Old 07-16-2012, 08:16 PM
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Great news GregK! smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif
Lee Stewart is offline  
post #21 of 66 Old 10-03-2012, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Rach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,688
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
While individual releases would be more preferable, $53 from amazon.uk is not going to cut when you can get the whole set from Frys for$113 or a little over $14 a movie.
Rach is offline  
post #22 of 66 Old 10-03-2012, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Rach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,688
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I didn't realize how old this thread is. Current listing for CFTBL 3D is 10.99 pounds or roughly $18. That's doable!!
Rach is offline  
post #23 of 66 Old 10-03-2012, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member
 
sparky7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: reno,nv.
Posts: 513
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just ordered from Amazon.co.uk it cost $20.50 total. Delivery time Oct 11-16.

mark
sparky7 is offline  
post #24 of 66 Old 10-03-2012, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member
 
BSTNFAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chelmsford, MA
Posts: 581
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach View Post

While individual releases would be more preferable, $53 from amazon.uk is not going to cut when you can get the whole set from Frys for$113 or a little over $14 a movie.

The $53 that was quoted is for the whole set, not individual releases.
BSTNFAN is offline  
post #25 of 66 Old 10-07-2012, 04:31 PM
Member
 
RolandL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky7 View Post

Just ordered from Amazon.co.uk it cost $20.50 total. Delivery time Oct 11-16.
mark

If you subtract $20.50 from the $53.51 for the set, you are only paying $4.78 each for the rest of the discs.
RolandL is offline  
post #26 of 66 Old 10-17-2012, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BIG ED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: California Wine Country
Posts: 3,290
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
"CftBL" is my fave 3D Blu disc!
It doesn't hurt that this is my favorite monster suit, so I'm a little biasED.
The 3D effect is realistic (IMO) & constant. W/the underwater scenes, which previously only lOOkED a bit better than the stock footage, now lOOking more natural (they previously lOOkED washed out [p.i.] too me). Only lacking when a foreground element is out of focus.
The depth is quite impressive, the prints on the sand in the opening, the one & only female's belt at the aquarium, the creature's 'claw' scratches in the mud, & even the grasses on the bank.
The scenes that impressED me in the theater ('70's) are just as good & as previously statED the overall films 3D depth is more consistent.
2D depth is good.
However I get '06 "Casablanca" HDM digital artifacts (which I never likED) on the 2D version; w/hard black grain & some waxiness.
The 3D version loses the digital grain lOOk [is it the anaglyph process or 3D's infamous darker presentation??] & even some of the waxy lOOk (IMO).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandL View Post

If you subtract $20.50 from the $53.51 for the set, you are only paying $4.78 each for the rest of the discs.
I'd pay $50US just for the 3D 'Creature', sooooo the other discs cost "me" even less! biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefoo View Post

Just don't set yourselves up for disappointment.
Double Negative

Luckily pretty much everyone is pretty much happy (not "disappointed") w/this release.

"I wonder if any of the releases had slipcovers though."
"Are these comfirmed to have slipcovers?"
"They look nice in those slips."
"This slipcover looks too good to pass up."
BIG ED is offline  
post #27 of 66 Old 10-17-2012, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I can't wait for the first go through with this box set so I can watch Creature again. I was really impressed and had a smile upon my big head.
jbug is offline  
post #28 of 66 Old 10-17-2012, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
GregK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 565
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
For those interested, we have just posted our "In-Depth" 3-D Bluray review of CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON:

http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/an-in-depth-look-at-creature-from-the-black-lagoon-1

GregK is offline  
post #29 of 66 Old 10-17-2012, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cakefoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,811
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED View Post

Double Negative
Luckily pretty much everyone is pretty much happy (not "disappointed") w/this release.
Disappointed if it was just anaglyph 3D wink.gif

My Videos

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

cakefoo is offline  
post #30 of 66 Old 10-17-2012, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RickD_99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Birmingham, AL USA
Posts: 1,208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Creature is worth the money for Julie Adams alone, 2D or 3D. My God what a gorgeous woman! Gentlemen Southern girls are the finest, no doubt about it! wink.gif

http://www.julieadams.biz/bio/bio.html

HDTV Early Adopter
RickD_99 is offline  
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off