Wrath of the Titans - AVS Forum
3D Content > Wrath of the Titans
bravia3D's Avatar bravia3D 03:26 PM 06-30-2012

Watched this a few days ago and not really into mythology movies but this wasn't so bad. Kinda enjoyed it and the 3D was much better than Clash of the Titans. Some scenes had great depth to them and looked great while others were flat.

Is it a must see movie? Well, that depends on if you like these kinda movies or not. As far as the 3D goes, I wouldn't say it blew me away so go get it. But, not that bad for a rental or if you buy it cheap smile.gif

TonyDP's Avatar TonyDP 05:50 PM 06-30-2012
I picked this up myself today and just got thru my second viewing; once on my passive LG LM7600 and once on my 2010 Samsung active plasma.

In terms of 3D, I found it to have a moderate to strong sense of depth nearly all of the time; about the only time the image really flattened out was during some particularly dark scenes and with some extreme closeups in the midst of combat. However, when the camera slowed down and pulled back (which was most of the time) the 3D worked well and shows how far post-conversions have come in a relatively short time.

The movie also had quite a few instances of 3D pop out of the screen: debris from explosions, flying boulders and lava, spears and so on. Whenever Perseus was riding Pegasus they also seemed to extend out of the screen.

Ghosting was a non-issue with only a couple of very minor instances on the active plasma and a perfectly clean image on the passive LG.

With regard to the movie itself, I enjoyed it much more than the first film. The story unfolds in a more orderly, less chaotic fashion; the writing and direction are much improved and the characters are all far more interesting and relateable. There are some very visually striking action sequences and the final confrontation with Kronos is quite the spectacle.

The 3D BluRay cost me $29 and overall I felt I more than got my money's worth.
SFMike's Avatar SFMike 12:59 AM 07-02-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

In terms of 3D, I found it to have a moderate to strong sense of depth nearly all of the time; about the only time the image really flattened out was during some particularly dark scenes and with some extreme closeups in the midst of combat. However, when the camera slowed down and pulled back (which was most of the time) the 3D worked well and shows how far post-conversions have come in a relatively short time.

I totally agree with Tony that post conversion has come a long way. I put this conversion in the same quality level as Captain America which I feel was one of the best done so far. I reccomend this as a fun purchase and worth the money.
Rach's Avatar Rach 08:46 AM 07-02-2012
I watched the 2D version over the weekend as the wife wasn't up for 3D. It didn't look like it was filmed with 3D in mind but that might change once I actually watch it in 3D. As the story, I liked the first one slightly better. Oh well, different strokes for different folks.
Joxer's Avatar Joxer 02:07 PM 07-02-2012
FYI, this film was not shot in 3D, but is one of the ones converted afterwards.
Here is a site with info on recent and upcoming 3D movies and which ones are real 3D or fake (conversions):
http://realorfake3d.com/
AndreHD's Avatar AndreHD 07:32 PM 07-02-2012
I'm just glad that its in 1.85!!! FULLSCREEN biggrin.gif!! Thank you, WB! 99% of these blu rays are 2.40, such as my other purchase, Ghost Rider Spirit of Vengence, and it SUCKS biggrin.gif!! You paid for a 55" screen! They have to realize this adjustment that has to be made when converting these movies for the home market! Immortals is another one thankfully converted to 1.85! If you resize it, some of the picture is cut off! 1.85 has got to be the standard! 2.40 also takes away from the 3D experience because the borders kills the suspension of disbelief! Its distracting!
cbcdesign's Avatar cbcdesign 09:42 AM 07-03-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreHD View Post

I'm just glad that its in 1.85!!! FULLSCREEN biggrin.gif!! Thank you, WB! 99% of these blu rays are 2.40, such as my other purchase, Ghost Rider Spirit of Vengence, and it SUCKS biggrin.gif!! You paid for a 55" screen! They have to realize this adjustment that has to be made when converting these movies for the home market! Immortals is another one thankfully converted to 1.85! If you resize it, some of the picture is cut off! 1.85 has got to be the standard! 2.40 also takes away from the 3D experience because the borders kills the suspension of disbelief! Its distracting!

I want the WHOLE picture when I buy a movie, not one framed to fit 16x9 format screens and I suspect many here would agree with me.
cinema13's Avatar cinema13 10:02 AM 07-03-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcdesign View Post

I want the WHOLE picture when I buy a movie, not one framed to fit 16x9 format screens and I suspect many here would agree with me.

Agreed 110%. We buy Blu discs to recreate the theatrical experience as best as possible at home. If you want movies cropped of picture image just because you don't like black bars, then stick to watching movies on HBO, which crops all movies for the less-demanding viewers. Or use the ZOOM function and you can eliminate the picture information yourself, if that is how you prefer to see movies. . (By the way, IMMORTALS and TITANS were shot in 1.85 and THAT is why it appears that way on BD. They were NOT converted from 2.40.. Personaly, if a widescreen movie is presented cropped from 2.40, I don't even bother watching it. (I never watch movies on HBO)/ And my screen is smaller than 55"!
FBlack's Avatar FBlack 08:23 AM 07-05-2012
I was a bit disappointed in the Wrath. The story was concocted to make a sequel and get people to buy 3D tickets at the theater. They spent a ton of money on some pretty good special effects. The story was fair. As for the 3D on my Samsung TV... most was average. The ashes in the beginning, boulders falling and Pegasus were very nice. I wish more non-animated movies would be shot in 3D rather than converted. Hugo is still one of eh best at 3D in my opinion.
audiovideoholic's Avatar audiovideoholic 08:56 PM 07-05-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxer View Post

FYI, this film was not shot in 3D, but is one of the ones converted afterwards.
Here is a site with info on recent and upcoming 3D movies and which ones are real 3D or fake (conversions):
http://realorfake3d.com/

LOL Thats what everyone has been commenting on, what thread you been reading ; )
audiovideoholic's Avatar audiovideoholic 09:02 PM 07-05-2012
Quote:

I once felt the way you do but now that I have a 13' wide scope screen I would never go back to HD format. 2.35 or 2.40 is the only way to go once you see it on a large screen in your own home. You have the best of both worlds when you go scope. My scope image is like 170" diagnal and HD image is over 130" so using every inch of the 13' width is amazing! There really isnt a way to have a HD image anywhere near the 13' wide mark because of the height it would require would be too tall for almost every household.

But to post on the movie, I wasnt too impressed with the 3D although I liked it better than the previous both the storyline and 3D.
Rach's Avatar Rach 07:14 AM 07-06-2012
Quote:

I certainly don't mean to pile on but recreating the theatrical experience is what home theater is about in my opinion. I want to see every detail, every part of every frame...now matter what the ratio is.
AndreHD's Avatar AndreHD 11:46 AM 07-06-2012
Alright, when HBO shows the 2.40 movies in 1.85, you're telling me that something is left out of the picture?!
AndreHD's Avatar AndreHD 11:54 AM 07-06-2012
I felt that the Kronos battle at the end ("HA-DES") saved the entire movie biggrin.gif. And the scene of Kronos breaking free of his "prison". Not to mention that the dusc is a VERY rare blu ray 1.85 fullscreen experience as well, but I catch hell for that from other posters biggrin.gif
cinema13's Avatar cinema13 02:39 PM 07-07-2012
Quote:

Alright, when HBO shows the 2.40 movies in 1.85, you're telling me that something is left out of the picture?!

Yes, if shot in widescreen anamorphic, a 1.85 showing removes picture. Watching such films on HBO (or AMC, etc.) is a waste to me. HBO alters ALL widescreen films. (except for the very few old masters that they haven't got around to cropping yet). Or, if shot in Super-35, then the composition is screwed up. Trust me...cinematographers and directors go to a LOT of time and trouble planning, setting-up, and shooting what should be in frame and where items or people are placed. I respect that and don't want to see a 2.40 image altered, anymore than I'd want to see a 1.85 image shown at 1.33! Nor would I want to see 1.33 films, like THE ARTIST, cropped/altered to fill a 16X9 TV frame.

With 3D, HBO shows widescreen movies cropped. Starz, on the other hand, will show movies cropped in 2D HD...but their 3D versions are in the correct ratio. (TRON II being one of them.)
sparky7's Avatar sparky7 01:16 PM 11-14-2012
Picked up Wrath of the Titans 3D at Costco for $14.95. Its the 3 disc & UV.they also had.

Mysterious Island 2 3D
Harry Potter Deathly Hallows Part 1 3D

mark
Up
Mobile  Desktop