Cinema Blend kinda slams Amazing Spider Man 3D (you guessed it: oh, noes they di'nt!) - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 68 Old 07-16-2012, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Clyde, your comments are comedy gold and very creative.

I am sorry that I forced you to look up the name of a very well-known logical fallacy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

Please continue to entertain us with your posts. rolleyes.gif

edit: re-reading my post a few hours later, I want to apologize to everyone for my off-topic post. I just couldn't think of any better way to respond to the implications of the statement "You might think that I'm too far away from Hollywood to know what the truth is on TASM?" When someone makes wild statements like this that are in clear conflict with reality, I just have to laugh at the insinuation attempt, and the lack of professionalism. If anyone else has any questions about the 3D on TASM, I will be happy to answer them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 68 Old 07-16-2012, 05:09 PM

Your last answer is a classic example of the subversion you practise.

You see how "ad hominem" sticks out like a distraction in my previous post?
Instantly drawing the audience away from the main points that need to be answered?

That's what bad 3d or Flat 3D does in a shot or frame.
...and that is how I teach 3d.

Case closed?

P.s your "edit" of your own comment is btw what Ad-hominen is.
post #63 of 68 Old 07-17-2012, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by realvision View Post

3D is in danger of dying out due to audiences being forced to pay high premiums for no returns and sloppy 3D, and sloppy stereoscopy will only accelerate 3D's demise. First there was bad 2D to 3D conversions. now Native 3D is on a race to the bottom...

I totally agree with realvision, as I reported before, "at my local theater they have started scheduling the 3D version of the same film at non-prime time times because, according to the manager, people were complaining that they didn't want to see the 3D version. I believe lackluster presentations like Spiderman, Disney's Pirates and Tron are turning audiences off on 3D. All three of these films were native 3D and looked less impressive than converted Avengers and Capt. America. 3D films need to make a visual artistic statement. We can argue about what kind of effect works best where in shots but the bottom line is it's a 3D movie so it should look different from the 2D version playing next door at the cineplex. It should be a totally different experience on a visual level."

Excuse me for repeating myself but I believe the above point and those made by others in this discussion boil down to the possibility of 3D going back into hibernation for another 20 - 30 years. Of course things are different now with 3D TV at home and digital theaters but, the more lackluster 3D films that come out the more the audience feels cheated by the premium price. And why should I wear glasses for sequences that are almost 2D. This is the kind of artisitic decision that should take commerce in mind.
post #64 of 68 Old 07-17-2012, 03:50 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzignlight View Post

If anyone else has any questions about the 3D on TASM, I will be happy to answer them.
Are there any behind-the-scenes stories that 3D fans could appreciate when re-watching the movie?

Were there any challenging shots that were tough to capture in 3D or ones that had to be converted?

What aspect(s) of Spider-Man's 3D are you most proud of?
post #65 of 68 Old 07-18-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange11 View Post

Are there any behind-the-scenes stories that 3D fans could appreciate when re-watching the movie?
Were there any challenging shots that were tough to capture in 3D or ones that had to be converted?
What aspect(s) of Spider-Man's 3D are you most proud of?

The entire movie was a lot of fun to shoot. We had some amazing sets and some really fun locations. Probably one of the most interesting things from the show was the Williamsburg bridge sequence... where we were actually flipping full-sized cars off of a full-sized section of the bridge that we built on an outdoor stage. Interestingly enough, although one of these live shots ended up in the trailer, none of that real footage ended up in the movie, except for a few seconds in the reflection in the back window of Rathe's limo.

The sequence of Peter escaping from the police by swinging under the bridge was actually a connection of two locations, one in downtown LA and one in Harlem. The Harlem sequence, once under the bridge, was actually real swinging stunt work. It was unbelievably impressive to watch.

As far as the native stereo work, I am pretty proud of the final attacks/battles at Oscorp, both in the lab and on the roof. I also liked the SWAT team attack on the lizard at the subway station, but that wasn't my work. That was 2nd unit, and they were authorized to go a bit deeper with their 3D.

We did a number of shots with the Ultimate Arm camera platform, which was one of the first times a 3D mirror rig was used on that kind of platform: http://www.ultimatearm.com/

We shot the choreography of most of the high school lizard battle, but much of that was FULLY replaced by CG, which I feel is a fantastic use of 3D. Here's a good clip on the making of that from SPI: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKuIb1bFoEQ

Frankly, even WITH the debatable creative edict to celebrate 2D cinematography during the dialogue sequences, I still feel there was a lot of really good 3D in this movie. After several weeks of hearing opinions, both positive and sanctimoniously negative, I'm finally in a place where nothing anyone says about it (or me personally) affects me, and I can fully enjoy the work that I feel WAS effective and appropriate in TASM. For those people who actually enjoyed the movie rather than seeing it as heretical blasphemy, I am really happy that I was able to do my part to make it happen, and I am really happy that so many people enjoyed watching it.

-Eric
post #66 of 68 Old 07-18-2012, 01:47 PM

Thanks for the info and the links. I always find BTS stuff interesting. The battles you mentioned were some of my favorite 3D moments too. I also liked the web that Spider-Man made in the sewer when trying to locate the Lizard.
post #67 of 68 Old 07-27-2012, 12:45 PM

Liked: 11
tomorrow, Sat., July 28 thre will be a panel discussion with the makers of Amazing Spiderman at the 3D convention in Costa Mesa CA.
http://stereoworld.org/2012/index.php
post #68 of 68 Old 07-27-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathoderaytube View Post

tomorrow, Sat., July 28 thre will be a panel discussion with the makers of Amazing Spiderman at the 3D convention in Costa Mesa CA.
http://stereoworld.org/2012/index.php
Cool. Hopefully, it can be recorded and uploaded to YouTube.
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page