The Drawback About 3D... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 07-06-2012, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You cant MULTI-TASK smile.gif. Say that you decide to watch a 3D movie. You've got the glasses on, and you cant do something else at the same time, such as look at a Tablet screen on your lap, or write something on a notepad as you're sitting on the couch. Well you CAN, if you really want to, but its an awkward experience. A tablet screen or anything else looks darker through the glasses. I can get around this by simply looking down through the opening at the bottom of the glasses. But when I do this, I'm missing out on something 3D on the screen. Once you put that 3D movie in and put the glasses on, thats the only thing you can do for the next 90-120 minute duration of the program, to really get the full 3D experience. Unless its eating and drinking, the food just looks darker smile.gif. Thats why if I REALLY have to multi-task while watching a movie, I'll put the 2D disk that comes with the set in. The 3D technique Nintendo used for the 3DS doesn't require glasses and allows your eyes to multi-task.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 07-07-2012, 12:53 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
That may be true but a movie is more enjoyable without interruptions just as in a movie theater. I am in Latvia for five weeks and really miss watching 3D on my 92" Mitsubishi. At least I can watch 3D on my Sony 3D camcorder viewfinder as I take videos.
post #3 of 24 Old 07-07-2012, 01:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Maybe that's why I like the audiences in theaters of 3D movies more. They aren't busy talking with each other or texting on the phones like in the 2D theaters. In a 3D movie, they sit and watch the movie and keep their mouths shut and the phones in their pockets. cool.gifsmile.gif
post #4 of 24 Old 07-07-2012, 03:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreHD View Post

You cant MULTI-TASK smile.gif. Say that you decide to watch a 3D movie.... you cant do something else at the same time, such as look at a Tablet screen on your lap, or write something on a notepad as you're sitting on the couch. ...Thats why if I REALLY have to multi-task while watching a movie...and allows your eyes to multi-task.
Chase two rabbits and catch none.wink.gif

This is what killed actually listening to music a few years ago: "I can't listen to music unless it has video to watch...or I'm doing...."

God forbid trying to read a book.biggrin.gif
post #5 of 24 Old 07-07-2012, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 37
With passive glasses it's not a problem at all.
RonAlam likes this.
post #6 of 24 Old 07-07-2012, 12:56 PM

Liked: 11
The thread should be re- titled "The drawback about active shutter 3D..."

With passive glasses you can surf the net, leave the room, make a drink, go to the bathroom, in fact almost everything without removing the glasses.
RonAlam likes this.
post #7 of 24 Old 07-07-2012, 10:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
It would help if they made versions of glasses with transparent sides and thin bottom edges. I use my computer at my desk in 3D and have a small TV next to it which is completely blocked off by the the glasses and i can't get the visual cues i usually get to look over when i need to.
post #8 of 24 Old 07-08-2012, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by derek500 View Post

The thread should be re- titled "The drawback about active shutter 3D..."
With passive glasses you can surf the net, leave the room, make a drink, go to the bathroom, in fact almost everything without removing the glasses.

That is true, sometimes I forget that I have them on.
post #9 of 24 Old 07-08-2012, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
When I'm really watching a movie that I really want to watch I don't multi-task anyway. If there is something that I have to do like answer a phone or use the bathroom then I just pause the movie. I definitely wouldn't want to use a tablet or read something while I'm really watching a movie. Now just channel surfing the tv or something like that is different. I bought an active shutter tv a couple of years ago before the passive ones came out and do kinda wish I had gotten one of those instead. I am happy with the quality of my tv but being able to use cheaper glasses that are also lighter would really be nice.
post #10 of 24 Old 07-08-2012, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I suspect I'm the ultimate multi-tasker when it comes to 3D.biggrin.gif
Here is just one example:
3D multitasking
I rarely watch 3D using the entire screen...

Did IQ's suddenly drop sharply while I was away?
I enjoy 3D in spite of HDMI 1.4!
Full screen only 3D doesn't cut it!
post #11 of 24 Old 07-10-2012, 02:27 AM
Gae

I agree about the passive 3D glasses. I walk around the house and forget I have them on.
When I watch any movie, I mean "really" watch it, I switch everything else off and settle down "alla le Cinema" to just watch the movie either on my projector or LCD screen. That is how movies are meant to be watched. The only time I multi-task e.g. surf the net and watch a movie is when I'm not really bothered about a film on TV but just want to see what its like for a possible future "proper watch" or even a Blu-ray purchase.

So c'mon...curb your multi tasking addictions and treat yourself to watching that 3D movie properly, giving it the full attention that it deserves. smile.gif

Gae
post #12 of 24 Old 07-10-2012, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gae View Post

So c'mon...curb your multi tasking addictions and treat yourself to watching that 3D movie properly, giving it the full attention that it deserves. smile.gif
Gae

Couldn't agree more, but if I'm watching a sporting event or something with pauses in play and/or commercial breaks, multi-tasking is the norm and passive is perfect.
post #13 of 24 Old 07-11-2012, 05:53 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 419
If I cant put aside everything else for the duration of a movie, I dont want to watch it in my HT anyway 2d or 3d. In light of that, not being able to multitask is a non issue since I like to be focused on a movie when I am watching a movie (crazy I know! biggrin.gif). Doing anything else while watching a movie really waters down the experience which is why I always either leave my phone upstairs, or turn it off.
FilmReverie likes this.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #14 of 24 Old 07-16-2012, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
My wife is this way. She is so addicted to facebook that she rarely even bothers to watch anything anymore, just sits next to me and listens. At first I would be the dutiful husband and rewind so she could watch something. Now I say F it, that's her problem that she missed it.
Don Landis likes this.
post #15 of 24 Old 07-17-2012, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, what if you've seen the movie already, you like it, you already know where the good parts are, and you just threw it in while you're doing something else smile.gif? The movie only requires your full attention the FIRST time smile.gif!
post #16 of 24 Old 07-18-2012, 12:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 59
There's no problem here. If you don't want to devote your full attention to the movie, watch it in 2D. 3D doesn't have to replace 2D.
post #17 of 24 Old 07-28-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed32 View Post

With passive glasses it's not a problem at all.

Agree
post #18 of 24 Old 07-28-2012, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

If I cant put aside everything else for the duration of a movie, I dont want to watch it in my HT anyway 2d or 3d. In light of that, not being able to multitask is a non issue since I like to be focused on a movie when I am watching a movie (crazy I know! biggrin.gif). Doing anything else while watching a movie really waters down the experience which is why I always either leave my phone upstairs, or turn it off.
This, too many people have attention problems with personal electronics that miss many good parts of movies, why watch if you are going to be checking messages,email, facebook etc. that stuff will still be there after the movie. wink.gif
post #19 of 24 Old 08-02-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

Chase two rabbits and catch none.wink.gif
This is what killed actually listening to music a few years ago: "I can't listen to music unless it has video to watch...or I'm doing...."
God forbid trying to read a book.biggrin.gif

What's a book? And can I get it in 3D with HD Audio?

post #20 of 24 Old 08-02-2012, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
I tend to "watch" a movie, when I sit to "watch" a movie, and not be bothered by distractions...
post #21 of 24 Old 11-13-2013, 09:46 AM

Liked: 16
this is so true but it forces you to concentrate and watch and enjoy the 3D experience
post #22 of 24 Old 11-13-2013, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
post #23 of 24 Old 11-13-2013, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Agreed, the only thing I will also do whilst watching a film is have a snack or drink that I organised before I started watching the film. So for me multitasking is a moot point, I even hate having to pause the film to use the bathroom.
post #24 of 24 Old 11-13-2013, 08:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 123
I don't have a problem with multitasking the 3D but will those of you who also multitask, please show me how to multitask the sound. How do I listen to an audiobook and the dialog of my 3D movie and listen and watch the news at the same time, all while typing this post here on the forum? I have two ears and two sides to my brain but when I input three sound programming sources at the same time I miss some of the detail in each. rolleyes.gif
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page