Dredd 3D (9/21/12) Early reviews - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 91 Old 07-12-2012, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 32
It was screened at the San Diego Comic Con and it seems the reaction is generally positive, citing bucketloads of violence making up its other weaknesses.

Dredd was SHOT in 3D.

Articles/Reviews - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1343727/news

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 91 Old 07-13-2012, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
i really want to like this, but i can't. every time i watch the trailer, i can't help but to think of the raid:redemption. i mean... cops going in to a crime lord's stronghold and fighting through all the floors to get to them... even getting on the PA system to announce the cops' presence and the want of their death... the trailer makes it look like the same damn thing, just "americanized" (more gun play than martial arts). hopefully i'm wrong, though.
post #3 of 91 Old 07-13-2012, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was skeptical myself but for different reasons. When I first saw the trailer it had a lot of up close shots. So I thought it wouldn't be a good 3D film. Then I saw the red band trailer and now I'm convinced that is going to be a awesome movie. And a good 3D movie as well.

http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/

youtube video

http://youtu.be/g8lMmRe6Z44
post #4 of 91 Old 10-07-2012, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I just saw this movie today (in 3D). I was SHOCKED at how good it is.

Yeah, the story isn't unique or original but the execution was nearly flawless. Karl Urban's performance was outstanding and completely ego-free (most big actors would not take a role where their face is never seen onscreen). Also the 3D effects were well done. There was more pop out than depth but hey, can't have everything.

A day 1 3D BD purchase for me.
post #5 of 91 Old 10-07-2012, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I saw this opening weekend (there were a whopping 5 other people at my screen); I also thought it was a well-done movie that was faithful to the source material but still somewhat hampered by its low budget. Karl Urban and Olivia Thirby were very good as Dredd and new recruit Anderson (who was portrayed quite differently from the books but that can be explained away as she was at the very start of her career here). Lena Headey was a pretty weak villain though, playing all her scenes as if she was constantly stoned on her slo-mo drug. While that may have fit the character it did make for a pretty bland antagonist.

At my showing, the sense of depth and pop was pretty weak. Most scenes were dark, which tended to flatten the image and attempts at popout never seemed to escape the boundaries of the screen. The movie was still good enough that I'll probably pick up the 3D BluRay when it is released. At the end of the day, I was wishing these filmmakers could have been given the resources that the Stallone Dredd movie was given as we probably would have gotten something really memorable.
post #6 of 91 Old 10-07-2012, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Many people might not know this, but Dredd is not a Hollywood movie. In fact, it’s an independent film. Sure, a movie with a 45 million dollar budget doesn’t sound like it’s an “independent film”, but it is; every single studio behind the scenes of this film is an independent studio. It was only through the sale of distribution rights that Lionsgate got a hold of it to help out with getting it into major theaters around the world.
http://bottomlesswit.com/2012/09/30/movie-review-dredd-2012/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 91 Old 10-08-2012, 12:48 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I really liked the previews of this picture and I'm very surprised how badly it tanked.It's only made $12,675,000.00 in the US since opening. It's already not playing at my local cineplex. I'll get the blu-ray!

Cakefoo, I enjoyed reading your link http://bottomlesswit.com/2012/09/30/movie-review-dredd-2012/ reviewing the film but was disturbed to again read a reviewer state "I myself saw it in 2D, because I hate 3D, so I cannot speak in terms of how the 3D came across." For those of us that enjoy 3D it sucks that it has become so "cool" to say you hate 3D. At my local cineplex when they have a 3D film on one screen they show it in 3D early or very late as the manager told me people were complaining about seeing it in 3D so the 4 & 7 o'clock shows are shown 2D. It seems as the 3D films get better the audience shrinks. I hope Hollywood doesn't give up on the 3D fans....however I suspect they will.
post #8 of 91 Old 10-08-2012, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMike View Post

At my local cineplex when they have a 3D film on one screen they show it in 3D early or very late as the manager told me people were complaining about seeing it in 3D so the 4 & 7 o'clock shows are shown 2D. It seems as the 3D films get better the audience shrinks. I hope Hollywood doesn't give up on the 3D fans....however I suspect they will.

Unfortunately, away from the big cities that have the bright, big, newest 3D screens and projectors, it can be pretty daunting to watch a good 3D movie on a bad screen. And people just don't like the extra cost of the glasses, so it's dying of poor execution. And the irony, as you indicate, is that 3D both shot native 3D and conversions are much improved now and getting near flawless. I guess we enjoy the ride while it lasts.
post #9 of 91 Old 10-08-2012, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
There was not a lot of people at the screening I went to, but I planed it that way. I went during the week at a 2 o'clock showing. The drafthouse theater I go to gets mad packed on weekends and can be packed good in the evenings.
I really liked the movie over all and can't wait for 3D BD release.
post #10 of 91 Old 10-08-2012, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMike View Post

Cakefoo, I enjoyed reading your link http://bottomlesswit.com/2012/09/30/movie-review-dredd-2012/ reviewing the film but was disturbed to again read a reviewer state "I myself saw it in 2D, because I hate 3D, so I cannot speak in terms of how the 3D came across." For those of us that enjoy 3D it sucks that it has become so "cool" to say you hate 3D. At my local cineplex when they have a 3D film on one screen they show it in 3D early or very late as the manager told me people were complaining about seeing it in 3D so the 4 & 7 o'clock shows are shown 2D. It seems as the 3D films get better the audience shrinks. I hope Hollywood doesn't give up on the 3D fans....however I suspect they will.
It really annoys me when people see a 3D movie in 2D because they hate 3D-- but then try to "imagine" the 3D as hard as they can lol.

When these people that hate 3D avoid it so much, it results in them missing out on what makes a good modern 3D movie. If a movie doesn't rely on traditionally recognizable 3D gimmicks, the 2D film won't register as 3D-centric to these folks. Conversely, if it DOES have a lot of gimmicks, they just get to say it was the same gimmicky garbage that 3D has always been about. It's self-fulfillment, basically.

post #11 of 91 Old 10-08-2012, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by threed123 View Post

Unfortunately, away from the big cities that have the bright, big, newest 3D screens and projectors, it can be pretty daunting to watch a good 3D movie on a bad screen. And people just don't like the extra cost of the glasses, so it's dying of poor execution. And the irony, as you indicate, is that 3D both shot native 3D and conversions are much improved now and getting near flawless. I guess we enjoy the ride while it lasts.
My observation of the past 3 summers is that 3D shares dip in the summer then rise again for the rest of the year. My theory is that Joe Schmoe is simply trying to conserve money during the summer crunch. There are too many 3D movies in the summer.

Other things hurt 3D's image too- Hollywood relies too much on 3D for action movies, and relies too much on action movies for 3D. Why single out one genre and one time of the year, I don't know. Nowadays people judge a 3D movie's likelihood of being good by how much action it has. People believe that 3D is laughably pointless for movies like Great Gatsby, yet those are the films that can change the artform for the good, and help justify 3D as a valid and versatile and emotional tool. But people won't see dramas in 3D because they get the idea that dialog scenes are lame in 3D. Why do they think that? Because the number one artistic complain people have about 3D action movies is the dialog scenes. They think that because x action movie director can't make dialog look good, it must be the tech's fault.

We need films like Life of Pi and Hugo and Great Gatsby to succeed if 3D is going to have a shot at sticking around. Less Resident Evil sequels, more dramas please.

post #12 of 91 Old 10-08-2012, 04:21 PM

cakefoo--well said.
post #13 of 91 Old 10-08-2012, 05:24 PM

Liked: 16
I think filmmakers need to take an approach where they consistently use 3D in a way that makes the movie experience an obvious improvement over the 2D version for the entire running length. That is what everyone expects from something that costs extra. Paul Anderson and Resident Evil (despite their affinity for long lenses) are a good example for other 3D action movies. They're not part of the club that turns 3D on and off.

I get your point though and would love to see more live-action 3D dramas and character-driven stories since they are underrepresented and unexplored in terms of 3D use. I agree that more quality dramas could help dispel the dialogue scene myth. They could also diminish the one where pop-out is only a gimmick for poking the audience and a distraction from the story.
post #14 of 91 Old 10-11-2012, 06:10 AM

Liked: 48
Well we get no such nonsense from James Cameron with dialogue scenes. He is, in my opinion, one of very few directors using 3D who understands that dialogue scenes have a far greater impact and sense of intimacy for the audience that the same scene in 2D does. It is a pity he has not been able to get his peers to understand that. Most of them are stuck in a sort of half way house mode. They really are clueless where 3D is concerned.
post #15 of 91 Old 01-07-2013, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Just got Dredd 3D a day early (thanks Amazon Prime). I'm going to get flamed for this next part: Dredd is a better movie than Avengers, not only in 3D picture quality but also in adapting a comic book to the big screen while staying true to the source material and without silly theatrics and overacting.

An absolute steal for $19.99.
post #16 of 91 Old 01-07-2013, 10:51 PM

Liked: 12
19.99?! I was lukewarm on this because what I saw in the theater was, IMO, a notch below the Stallone flick. But if I can find it at that price I'd get it.
post #17 of 91 Old 01-08-2013, 06:06 AM
PDB

Liked: 15
FYI just rented Dredd from Redbox and the disc has 3D. Checking the website and Redbox is now renting 3D discs.

post #18 of 91 Old 01-08-2013, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

I don't think Redbox is renting 3D disks. Dredd is a special case because 3D and 2D are on the same disk and that's the only disk that Lionsgate pressed for release.
post #19 of 91 Old 01-08-2013, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R View Post

I don't think Redbox is renting 3D disks. Dredd is a special case because 3D and 2D are on the same disk and that's the only disk that Lionsgate pressed for release.

That must be right. 3D is such a vanishingly small market niche there's no way Redbox would bother with 3D BDs. Mere coincidence that there's only one Dredd release. BTW, I just ordered it from Amazon for just under $20 bucks.

All 3D discs can be easily authored as both 2D and 3D, but most blockbuster movies have 2D locked out, the better to sell more 3D collectors editions and prevent folks from selling their 2D copies. Lots of the IMAX 3D BDs are selectable, for example. I guess Lionsgate figured they wouldn't sell many collectors editions?tongue.gif
post #20 of 91 Old 01-08-2013, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R View Post

Just got Dredd 3D a day early (thanks Amazon Prime). I'm going to get flamed for this next part: Dredd is a better movie than Avengers, not only in 3D picture quality but also in adapting a comic book to the big screen while staying true to the source material and without silly theatrics and overacting.
An absolute steal for $19.99.

While I'd hesitate to say Dredd is better than Avengers, it is easily superior to the bloated, overrated Dark Knight Rises, a movie that goes out of its way to be different from the Batman comics it is allegedly based on (Nolan couldn't even muster the conviction to use the name Catwoman).

Anyhow, at $19.99, my copy of Dredd is on its way from Amazon.
post #21 of 91 Old 01-08-2013, 04:38 PM

Thought the Stallone movie was better when I saw this at the theater, but sell a 3D blue ray for 19 and some change, and you have deal biggrin.gif. Kinda backlogged now, I was gonna watch Total Recall tonight, then there's Halo Forward Unto Dawn.

I'm gonna go with the one I liked at the theater, Total Recall for today, and check this out by the weekend.

Sometimes a movie that was okay at the theater appears way better on blue ray, where you can totally concentrate on it without annoyances and distractions like mid movie texting and brilliant cellphone lights smile.gif.

I kinda liked Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter at the theater but really like it on blue. I'll watch it as its own movie without the Stallone comparison.
post #22 of 91 Old 01-08-2013, 11:23 PM

Ive been reading that theres an effect where the blood spatters out of letterbox, its an effect shown in trailers and in pirated copies. But it seems to be missing in the retail version(blu ray and download).
Anyone know the story to this?
post #23 of 91 Old 01-09-2013, 11:24 AM

I checked out a couple scenes after I watched the action-packed Total Recall.

Nice 3D font effect with shattered glass on the Dredd title smile.gif. 3D formation effect on groups of people, be they the gangs or cops, showing that they all aren't walking on the same plain. I'll watch the whole thing in a couple days.
post #24 of 91 Old 01-10-2013, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I might check it out at Redbox. Hopefully more movies go this route. I don't like paying 90's VHS rental prices to wait for a disc in the mail or for a digital stream...

post #25 of 91 Old 01-11-2013, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDB View Post

FYI just rented Dredd from Redbox and the disc has 3D. Checking the website and Redbox is now renting 3D discs.

I did not have that option when I reserved it - but the disc I rented from Redbox gave me the option of 2D or 3D. That was a pleasant surprise. The 3D was very good.

post #26 of 91 Old 01-12-2013, 05:36 AM
ctn

Liked: 10
The Netflix disc also has the 2D or 3D option.
post #27 of 91 Old 01-12-2013, 09:43 AM

Liked: 11
Well I don't think the Dredd 3D option counts as anything significant from what I can tell, because the only USA release seems to be the combination 2D+3D disc, so there's no 2D-only disc available anywhere unless they did a specific run just for rental, which it doesn't seem like they did. But I would be all for it if redbox starts making 3D blus available, since they obviously have the option programmed into their software smile.gif
post #28 of 91 Old 01-12-2013, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Makes me wonder why some publishers do everything on one disc and others don't. Most of my 3D Blu-rays have a completely separate disc for the 3D version. I think I have only one that has both on the same disc.

I can maybe see if they do some tweaking for the 3D version, like accommodating for the glasses by slightly bumping the gamma on the 3D version, but based on HDD's review, Dredd does this, yet still manages to have both versions on one disc. Maybe just extra compression, since they're fitting two completely different versions of the film on one disc, instead of just plucking one eye for the 2D presentation?

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #29 of 91 Old 01-12-2013, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
How about the last Resident Evil? My copy has only 1 disc with both versions. Is it the same on the Redbox copy?

post #30 of 91 Old 01-12-2013, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Okay, finally sat down and watched it. I quite enjoyed it.

Not sure where the complaints about the 3D are coming from, I thought it was very well done. If this is bad 3D, then I guess I just have bad taste, 'cause I say "keep it coming".

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
Reply 3D Content

Tags
Dredd 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy Ultraviolet

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page