First Trailer for Oz: The Great and the Powerful - Big-budget native 3D adventure/fantasy from Sam Raimi - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 07-12-2012, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 32

Hugo meets Alice in Wonderland? I like.

My Videos

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-12-2012, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
This has potential for awesome 3D, depending on lens choice and depth decisions. IMDB says James Goldman (Prometheus) is the stereographer. Can't wait to see the trailer in 3D.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-12-2012, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That's great for me, because I thought Prometheus looked very good.

My Videos

post #4 of 10 Old 07-12-2012, 10:38 PM

I think I still prefer slightly stronger parallax, but I would be very happy if most 3D content looked as nice as Prometheus.

The shooting style here looks very different though. Seems like Sam Raimi likes to point and throw things at the viewer, which is okay by me as long as the backgrounds aren't flat à la Harold and Kumar Christmas.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-13-2012, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's pretty neat how the popout is handled, the way the object comes out of the screen edges. I'm not a fan of popout gimmicks but maybe that's because of the way it's been handled. It should be used for wow moments to trigger a brief spike of amazement. Here it actually makes sense, as it puts you in the shoes of the protagonist when the hat comes towards you, and makes you feel like a carnival spectator when the flame shoots out. The mood is positive and fitting. The composition and camera movement also helps. It feels very organic, not sterile and symmetrical like Resident Evil, for instance, which I think you and I touched on briefly recently...

My Videos

post #6 of 10 Old 07-13-2012, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
This looks very promising!
post #7 of 10 Old 07-13-2012, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
From a 3D perspective it looks great and the cinematography looks nice as well.

Movie looks horrible though. Looks like cheeseball whimsy and declaring it's from the producers of Alice in Wonderland is not a good thing.
I love Sam Raimi with the exception of Spiderman 3, but this looks like it's outside of his wheelhouse. I think it's going to suck hard and make a ton of money.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-13-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefoo View Post

It's pretty neat how the popout is handled, the way the object comes out of the screen edges. I'm not a fan of popout gimmicks but maybe that's because of the way it's been handled. It should be used for wow moments to trigger a brief spike of amazement. Here it actually makes sense, as it puts you in the shoes of the protagonist when the hat comes towards you, and makes you feel like a carnival spectator when the flame shoots out. The mood is positive and fitting. The composition and camera movement also helps. It feels very organic, not sterile and symmetrical like Resident Evil, for instance, which I think you and I touched on briefly recently...
Agreed. I like how the pop-out extends into the black areas outside the 4:3 rectangle and how it kind of give the viewer a first-person view of what the protagonist is seeing and make them feel the emotions he is supposed to be feeling (being scared of crazy chomping dragons in a new land in addition to the ones you mentioned).

The camera and composition were nice too although I think sterile and symmetrical were appropriate for Resident Evil: Afterlife and Umbrella's labs. To be honest, I need to watch that movie again. It was the first BD3D I bought last year when I got my TV. I watched it maybe 5 times then but haven't seen it recently since I've developed a more particular taste for what quality 3D looks like. I'm a big fan of the RE games and to a lesser extent the live-action movies, so I'll do my best to be objective with the 3D and cinematography aspects.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-13-2012, 08:55 PM

Liked: 10
I think this movie is going to make a great candidate for glorious Imax 3d!
post #10 of 10 Old 07-13-2012, 10:20 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billbofet View Post

Movie looks horrible though. Looks like cheeseball whimsy and declaring it's from the producers of Alice in Wonderland is not a good thing.

I agree. Those witches costumes are really bad. Straight out of an old "Dynasty" rerun. And they look cheap.
Reply 3D Content

Tags
Oz The Great And Powerful Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page