Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 42 Old 08-13-2012, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 36

Boxart:

It's going to be the theatrical cut, and it's going on sale October 15th worldwide (October 16th in North America).

Press Release

PANDORA COMES TO LIFE LIKE NEVER BEFORE WITH
THE ULTIMATE HOME VIEWING EXPERIENCE

ON BLU-RAY 3D

Over 33 Million Facebook Fans Receive Exclusive
Global Announcement as the Film That Became a Worldwide
Phenomenon Arrives on Blu-ray 3D in October

LOS ANGELES, CA. (August 14, 2012) – The world of Pandora has never looked better as over 33 million AVATAR Facebook fans were the first to learn of the upcoming release of the AVATAR Blu-ray 3D Collector's Edition, debuting globally beginning October 15, releasing in North America October 16, from Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment. A home entertainment experience like no other, for the first time ever, fans will be able to welcome James Cameron's global box office sensation into their homes in stunning 3D high-definition.

"3D television is the future of home entertainment," said James Cameron, the Oscar® winning Director. "I'm a huge proponent of the technology and very pleased that AVATAR can be viewed in the living room the way it is meant to be seen."

"As the number of homes with 3D televisions continues to grow, we thought it was important to bring the biggest 3D film ever right into your living room," continued Jon Landau, Academy Award® winning Producer of Avatar. "This is the only way fans should experience the world of Pandora and this release offers the highest picture quality possible. "Previously only available to consumers through an exclusive deal with Panasonic, the two-disc AVATAR 3D Blu-ray Collector's Edition will feature the original theatrical release and be available in all-new collectible packaging. Seen by more than 310 million people worldwide, the Oscar and Golden Globe winning epic is the highest grossing film of all time, taking in more than $2.7 billion in worldwide box office. It is also top-selling Blu-ray disc of all time.

About Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment LLC
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, LLC (TCFHE) is a recognized global industry leader and a subsidiary of Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation, a News Corporation company. Representing 75 years of innovative and award-winning filmmaking from Twentieth Century Fox, TCFHE is the worldwide marketing, sales and distribution company for all Fox film and television programming, acquisitions and original productions on DVD, Blu-ray Disc Digital Copy, Video On Demand and Digital Download. The company also releases all products globally for MGM Home Entertainment. Each year TCFHE introduces hundreds of new and newly enhanced products, which it services to retail outlets from mass merchants and warehouse clubs to specialty stores and e-commerce throughout the world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 08-13-2012, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Avatar is old hat, want to see the latest greatest 3D? See "Step Up Revolution 3D". Shot with 4K Red cameras. I see all my 3D movies at the theater. BR doesn't cut it any more even for non 3D. I guess if one wants to watch over and over again once it leaves the theater, then this is the only way for now. Avatar was only shot in HD so it won't be able to be re-released in 4K.
post #3 of 42 Old 08-13-2012, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Very exciting news. smile.gif
post #4 of 42 Old 08-14-2012, 12:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Would be curious to find out if any of the extended versions will be included in 3D. Probably not.

post #5 of 42 Old 08-14-2012, 01:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 1028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post

Avatar is old hat, want to see the latest greatest 3D? See "Step Up Revolution 3D". Shot with 4K Red cameras. I see all my 3D movies at the theater. BR doesn't cut it any more even for non 3D. I guess if one wants to watch over and over again once it leaves the theater, then this is the only way for now. Avatar was only shot in HD so it won't be able to be re-released in 4K.

I'm glad to see the evolution of 3D...eventually....but it couldn't be worth the torture of Step Up Revolution 3D! smile.gif At least I'd choose Avatar over that no matter even if on DVD on a handheld! Last time I went to a theater is was for Avatar 3D now that you mentionit, but it was in mini IMAX unfortunately, should have seen it on the proper sized IMAX instead. 4k, 48 fps, it will all work out, but for my home viewing BD and DVD still work great even with middling 3D tech....wait for good holograms!

PS Glad to see the Panasonic deal is finally over!

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #6 of 42 Old 08-14-2012, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wow. Tech isn't that important.

YEEEESH.
post #7 of 42 Old 08-14-2012, 06:05 AM

Liked: 15
IMHO it would be foolish for the world wide 3D DVD release not to include the additional footage. There is a good chance that everyone, including myself, that received the 3D version as part of an Panasonic bundle would purchase over again to get the extra footage.
post #8 of 42 Old 08-14-2012, 07:11 AM

Liked: 44
post #9 of 42 Old 08-14-2012, 07:50 AM

Liked: 17
This thread reminds me of the one I almost created on AVS at the end of 2010.

I say almost because of its title which went something like "Official: Avatar 3D BD ISO released worldwide" biggrin.gif
post #10 of 42 Old 08-14-2012, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Extended 3D version or no care.
GizmoSprocket likes this.
post #11 of 42 Old 08-14-2012, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by bontrager View Post

IMHO it would be foolish for the world wide 3D DVD release not to include the additional footage. There is a good chance that everyone, including myself, that received the 3D version as part of an Panasonic bundle would purchase over again to get the extra footage.

Typical.

Come out with a barebones 3d version then come out with an uber special edition 3D extended version later.

Milk it baby.

Just like they initially released a barebones version of 2d Avatar then came out with a more complete version later.
post #12 of 42 Old 08-14-2012, 11:05 AM

Wow. Bummer. You'd think after making us wait two and half years, they could just release an ultimate extended 3D version.
post #13 of 42 Old 08-14-2012, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange11 View Post

Wow. Bummer. You'd think after making us wait two and half years, they could just release an ultimate extended 3D version.

How can you complain? We are being given the opportunity to buy the not just the original edit in 3D but, (gasp) a copy of the original in DVD format because we just might not have that sitting around. Oh I almost forgot....THE COLLECTABLE PACKAGING!!!! Please take my money!!!!
post #14 of 42 Old 08-14-2012, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 64
While this announcement may be underwhelming to those of us who have been doing 3D for years now and have had the Avater 3D BluRay for ages, we make up a miniscule percentage of the general buying public. As far as the great masses go, hopefully this release will shine a spotlight back on 3D and maybe move a few more TV sets.
post #15 of 42 Old 08-14-2012, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I'm just totally annoyed by the crass greed of Fox and other studios of bundling in 3D blu-rays with 2D blu-rays and DVD versions all to put the screws to all of us who enjoy 3D. It's a scam. Why not charge a little more and add the VHS version so we can share it with grandma. With Avatar it is more blantently obvious than usual seeing as the a previous DVD and extended DVD version has been out for a LOOOONNNG time. Excuse me but I'm feeling really used by this ploy. Just put out a single 3D disc version for those of us that have already shelled out for the extended DVD version. I guess I will wait for the extended 3D version to come out as I'm not bending over for this one.mad.gif
post #16 of 42 Old 08-14-2012, 05:56 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMike View Post

I'm just totally annoyed by the crass greed of Fox and other studios of bundling in 3D blu-rays with 2D blu-rays and DVD versions all to put the screws to all of us who enjoy 3D. It's a scam. Why not charge a little more and add the VHS version so we can share it with grandma. With Avatar it is more blantently obvious than usual seeing as the a previous DVD and extended DVD version has been out for a LOOOONNNG time. Excuse me but I'm feeling really used by this ploy. Just put out a single 3D disc version for those of us that have already shelled out for the extended DVD version. I guess I will wait for the extended 3D version to come out as I'm not bending over for this one.mad.gif

+1

I usually just give away the other non-3D discs to friends or coworkers. They saved some money and the studios make less.
post #17 of 42 Old 08-15-2012, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

I'm glad to see the evolution of 3D...eventually....but it couldn't be worth the torture of Step Up Revolution 3D! smile.gif At least I'd choose Avatar over that no matter even if on DVD on a handheld! Last time I went to a theater is was for Avatar 3D now that you mentionit, but it was in mini IMAX unfortunately, should have seen it on the proper sized IMAX instead. 4k, 48 fps, it will all work out, but for my home viewing BD and DVD still work great even with middling 3D tech....wait for good holograms!

Do yourself and your wife a favor and go see it. The wife and I both enjoyed it. Beautiful location (Miami) scenery and cinematography, good original dancing and a PQ and 3D that makes you feel like you are there. However Avatar 3D won't look so good anymore.
post #18 of 42 Old 08-15-2012, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Do yourself and your wife a favor and go see it. The wife and I both enjoyed it. Beautiful location (Miami) scenery and cinematography, good original dancing and a PQ and 3D that makes you feel like you are there. However Avatar 3D won't look so good anymore.

Thanks for the reco but if it has any resemblence to its predecessors in the Step Up series, not even remotely interested let alone inviting a date along for the torture (and if she was interested in that we wouldn't likely be dating anyways). Miami does photograph well...even CSI Miami was somewhat appealing.

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #19 of 42 Old 08-16-2012, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by goplay912 View Post

+1
I usually just give away the other non-3D discs to friends or coworkers. They saved some money and the studios make less.
Poor logic. The studio's don't make less money. Just like retail store prices are higher to cover shoplifting studios raise prices to cover pirated copies.
post #20 of 42 Old 08-16-2012, 02:27 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

Poor logic. The studio's don't make less money. Just like retail store prices are higher to cover shoplifting studios raise prices to cover pirated copies.

The studios will make less money because they' re losing out on the sale of the DVD and 2D Blu-ray because my friends won't need to pay for them. Instead of three people buying three different copies of the same movie (3D Blu-ray, 2D Blu-ray and DVD), I can just buy one copy, which includes all three formats.
post #21 of 42 Old 08-16-2012, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I tried to get rid of my digital copy of Tintin on facebook but nobody wanted it.
post #22 of 42 Old 08-16-2012, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

I couldn't care less how fantastic the 3D is. You couldn't pay me enough to watch a movie about dancing. Its bad enough that TV is saturated with cheap reality dance based shows, all of which I hate. It sure as hell isn't getting anywhere near my HT equipment.

Sorry to rant but I HATE dance by and large.
post #23 of 42 Old 08-16-2012, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcdesign View Post

I couldn't care less how fantastic the 3D is. You couldn't pay me enough to watch a movie about dancing. Its bad enough that TV is saturated with cheap reality dance based shows, all of which I hate. It sure as hell isn't getting anywhere near my HT equipment.
Exception: Pina and Cirque du Soleil: Worlds Away?
post #24 of 42 Old 08-16-2012, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcdesign View Post

Quote:

You don't like to dance? Or just watch others do it? Just curious.....

post #25 of 42 Old 08-17-2012, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Seems to me Avatar is about the 3D, other than that it is no great shakes AFAIC.
post #26 of 42 Old 08-17-2012, 01:14 PM

I'll admit that I really enjoy Step Up 3D for the dancing and creative use of 3D. I'll definitely check out Step Up Revolution on BD3D. The 3D in the trailer didn't look quite as nice though since they're using 2.39:1 and more camera cuts to define the rhythm of the scenes. Just as an initial impression, the dance numbers looked more elaborate but the 3D looked less creative. I'd really like to see Pina as well. It needs a U.S. BD3D release.

I'm looking forward to Avatar much more though. I'm a big fan of futuristic space sci-fi movies, and a decent story + reference 3D = ideal entertainment for me.
post #27 of 42 Old 08-18-2012, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Seems to me Avatar is about the 3D, other than that it is no great shakes AFAIC.
It's the best selling 2D Blu-ray.
post #28 of 42 Old 08-18-2012, 12:47 AM

Liked: 10
They can take this 3d bluray and stick it where the sun doesn't shine. This thing has been tied up in exclusivity for far too long. I quit caring about this movie 2 years ago.
post #29 of 42 Old 08-18-2012, 01:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

New copies have been selling for $100+ on ebay so I don't think they'll have trouble finding people who are interested.
post #30 of 42 Old 08-18-2012, 02:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Reply 3D Content

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Avatar by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page