AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
23236667.jpg

menund.jpg

menu2jt.jpg

Just watched this last night and was more impressed with the disc then when I watched it in the IMAX. For starters, the menu looks great in 3D! It shows the large flying aircraft carrier traced out in blue flying and it kinda pops outa the screen.

The beginning of the movie the cosmic cube floats outa the screen at you a bit, but not to much. But the best popout scene was when the Black Widow pulled her gun out on the Hulk when she got scared he may change. Her gun was popping out my TV almost in my face, not just once but twice!biggrin.gif It scared me a bit because right before she pulled the gun Hulk slammed his fist down on the desk. The sound was so loud and unexpected I jumped back. And that's another thing about the Avengers, the sound I believe is almost as good as Transformers Dark of the Moon was. It has great sound effects and I really cranked the volume up to enjoy it all.

The 3D at the beginning and middle were subtle, a few popout moments and some depth here and there. But it is towards the end battle in the city where the 3D picks up with some amazing depth and scenery. In fact, it was so good on my 55" LG I forgot I am sitting in my theater room and truly felt I was there witnessing all the chaos!

In my opinion this is a no brainer.... BUY THIS 3D DISC if you love 3D You shall enjoy it, this is not one to watch in 2D as you will be missing all the fun! Grab a coke and a snack, set back on your couch and enjoy this movie in all it's 3D glory and make sure you use the toilet before you do... You won't wanna get up once you get started.tongue.gif

3D rating- 9 outa 10

3D items I own:

Sony 46" LX900 active 3D set

Sony HMZ-T3 (Cushion pads and light blocker mod)

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Sony BDP-S570 BD3D player

JVC-GS-TD1 (with Cyclopital base extender)

Fujifilm W3

Sony Alpha 55 (for 3D panoramic photos)

Quadcopter + Zenmuse and GoPro Hero 3 (Filming...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 08-23-2012, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I want/need this now!!!!!
post #3 of 27 Old 08-24-2012, 03:21 AM

Liked: 17
I agree. My wife and i don't usually even bother with this type of movie but after seeing the reviews I thought I'd give it a shot. The sound is incredible...I would go as far as to say this is the best sounding movie I have heard on my system from a movie. We were able to watch it at -4 volume (from reference) and my wife never complained once. It was way better than Transformers to me. I havent looked at any of the extras..may do that today.
post #4 of 27 Old 08-24-2012, 04:57 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit3 View Post

I agree. My wife and i don't usually even bother with this type of movie but after seeing the reviews I thought I'd give it a shot. The sound is incredible...I would go as far as to say this is the best sounding movie I have heard on my system from a movie. We were able to watch it at -4 volume (from reference) and my wife never complained once. It was way better than Transformers to me. I havent looked at any of the extras..may do that today.

Thanks for the report on this disc! smile.gif What are some of your other audio favorites on blu ray as far as movies go? Just curious what titles The Avengers gets placed ahead of in your opinion as far as audio. Thanks!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #5 of 27 Old 08-24-2012, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 284
I"m looking forward to getting my hands on this disc on 9/25 (U.S. Release Date)! Thanks for sharing your impressions!
post #6 of 27 Old 08-25-2012, 03:11 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

I"m looking forward to getting my hands on this disc on 9/25 (U.S. Release Date)! Thanks for sharing your impressions!
ditto
post #7 of 27 Old 08-25-2012, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Very welcome, got mine in China town Nagasaki. That's were I can usually get releases before they even come out.

Such a good movie I just watched it again on my Sony HMZ which made me feel like I'm back at the IMAX, only better:eek:

3D items I own:

Sony 46" LX900 active 3D set

Sony HMZ-T3 (Cushion pads and light blocker mod)

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Sony BDP-S570 BD3D player

JVC-GS-TD1 (with Cyclopital base extender)

Fujifilm W3

Sony Alpha 55 (for 3D panoramic photos)

Quadcopter + Zenmuse and GoPro Hero 3 (Filming...

post #8 of 27 Old 09-24-2012, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Where's Ralph Potts review of the Avengers blu-ray release?

post #9 of 27 Old 09-25-2012, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat4843 View Post

Where's Ralph Potts review of the Avengers blu-ray release?

It's possible he didn't get an advance copy. Might have to get one the old-fadhioned way! I'm sure a review will be up soon. (He'd have to go through some of the extras too, remember!)

post #10 of 27 Old 09-25-2012, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Picked this up today and watched it on both my 2010 Samsung plasma and 2012 LG passive LCD. While the image was perfect on the passive, owners of older 3D plasmas should be aware that there are quite a few instances of ghosting in the first third of the film as you get a lot of night/dark scenes with significant contrast ranges; the scene of Black Widow holding her gun towards the camera also was problematic on the plasma. Luckily the big finale happens pretty much entirely during the day and as such is pretty much free of any ghosting no matter what TV you may have.

As to the movie, it was still fun but not as enjoyable as my first viewing with a packed house at the movie theater. While I typically prefer watching movies at home, this one definitely worked better in a more social environment as the first half is pretty slowly paced, and that becomes especially noticeable on second and subsequent viewings.
post #11 of 27 Old 09-25-2012, 10:58 PM

Liked: 12
Its not popular to say here, but its FULLSCREEN 1.81 3D biggrin.gif! YES! I appreciate the letterbox look, but come on smile.gif! 1.5 Billion at the box office, one of the highest grossing movies of all time, HUGE intergalactic war, this HAD to fill your bigscreen biggrin.gif! The best 3D is the war at the end, with the alien motherships and hovercrafts flying all over the place. It reminded me of how the Avengers were kicking the crap out of the aliens biggrin.gif! If it was a boxing match, the scorecard wold have read Avengers 120, Aliens 108 biggrin.gif! The grunt aliens were cannon fodder, it was funny as hell how they were getting their arse kicked! They got a fight out of the motherships though, dont get me wrong biggrin.gif! Almost forgot to mention there was some cool 3D with HawkEye's arrow shots. Staffs and guns coming out the screen. I really appreciate that its 1.81! Great show, get it!
post #12 of 27 Old 09-25-2012, 11:06 PM

Hmmm. Some buildup, but Loki vs Captain America, Thor vs Iron Man, Thor vs Hulk, and the Shield Carrier battle kept things moving at a good pace until that awesome "war" at the end!
This movie made me realize that Joss Whedon is great at this large, chaotic battles biggrin.gif! He did Cabin in the Woods too. Theres a part in that movie where...the inmates are let loose in the asylum smile.gif...the chaos that ensues is like nothing you've ever seen before biggrin.gif! I thought Michael Bay had the market cornered on chaos, LOL!
post #13 of 27 Old 09-26-2012, 10:11 PM

im new to the 3d world so dont listen to me. this didnt come out that great in 3d compared to the weeks of imax doc ive watched on 3net. it did have so depth, didnt see any pop. i did have it sent to my direct tv reciever and not blu ray player. do i lose some of the effects by not watching this on a disc.?
post #14 of 27 Old 09-27-2012, 12:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreHD View Post

Its not popular to say here, but its FULLSCREEN 1.81 3D : it!

Not unpopular to say, if the movie was filmed for that ratio...and AVENGERS was. What's not popular is when a widescreen movie is cut/cropped to 1.85. Since AVENGERS wasn't a widescreen movie, it's disc presentation is close to accurate.

post #15 of 27 Old 09-27-2012, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Just got done watching it. Overall, pretty impressive. I saw it 2D in theaters, and I usually avoid post-converted 3D. This is actually my first time seeing one, after the positive reviews for this one in particular (I've only recently gotten into watching 3D at home, and I've only got a few 3D BDs, and this is the first non-native one).

Most of the film is pretty subtle, but there's always depth to be had. Very little pop-out except where used for effect, rather than beating you over the head with it constantly (which is a good thing). The action scenes got a bit more attention in the conversion, and it shows, with some excellent depth and pop-out where it counts.

Can't say anything bad about the 3D, really. It's a conversion, and you can tell if you know what to look for, but all in all, it was quite enjoyable. I'm still not convinced of the post-convert process, but I'll pick up the ones that other users say are good.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #16 of 27 Old 09-30-2012, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Watched this last night after seeing it in theaters in 2d. Very impressive 3d for a conversion, much like Alice in Wonderland. There were some ghosting problems in the first 30 minutes or so. I'm assuming they were in the source since when I closed one eye I could see double in the other eye. Or maybe that's just my tv/blu-ray player?

I didn't notice any pop-out like the original poster said. Though, I haven't been noticing any pop-out in any 3d movies I've watched in awhile. Maybe it's my eyes getting old or my tv. I have a 2010 63" Samsung plasma. 3d View point is set to 0. Personally I don't really care for pop-out 3d, but I am curious if I'm doing something wrong. I watched Under the Sea this morning. No pop out, but there were plenty of moments that had that front of the screen shots that make you go cross-eyed/lose focus.
post #17 of 27 Old 09-30-2012, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhill View Post

Watched this last night after seeing it in theaters in 2d. Very impressive 3d for a conversion, much like Alice in Wonderland. There were some ghosting problems in the first 30 minutes or so. I'm assuming they were in the source since when I closed one eye I could see double in the other eye. Or maybe that's just my tv/blu-ray player?
I didn't notice any pop-out like the original poster said. Though, I haven't been noticing any pop-out in any 3d movies I've watched in awhile. Maybe it's my eyes getting old or my tv. I have a 2010 63" Samsung plasma. 3d View point is set to 0. Personally I don't really care for pop-out 3d, but I am curious if I'm doing something wrong. I watched Under the Sea this morning. No pop out, but there were plenty of moments that had that front of the screen shots that make you go cross-eyed/lose focus.

I own the exact same set as you do; the ghosting you experienced during the first 30 minutes is unfortunately not source-related. The PN63C7000/8000 TV doesn't handle extreme contrast ranges within the same frame well and this is the most common cause of ghosting with our particular TV. I experienced the same thing on my 6300 but got a 100% perfect 3D image when re-watching the movie on my LG 7600 passive 3D TV. You can mitigate the ghosting somewhat by sitting further back from the TV (I find at least 7 feet helps) and either increasing the brightness or playing with the gamma and dynamic contrast settings to brighten the image and lessen the extreme contrast ranges within the frame.
post #18 of 27 Old 09-30-2012, 01:49 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:

Ghosting is almost always a problem with the display, usually due to inadequate pixel response times and sometimes with active 3D glasses. No ghosting is encoded on major Hollywood Blu-ray releases.

If the potato cod and many other objects in Under the Sea do not appear to be poking out of your television screen, then something is wrong. It could be your TV settings, altering convergence and shifting everything behind the screen, or a lack of binocular vision (in which your brain would mainly see the flat image from your dominant eye), or the inability of your eyes to properly converge on parts of the stereo image (in which some objects in a frame could be viewed comfortably and others deep in positive or negative parallax would look double-imaged and uncomfortable). How are you defining "pop-out," and what is a "front of the screen shot?"
post #19 of 27 Old 09-30-2012, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Just saw this last night on a 3d dlp projector. Amazing! The 3d was really good. But the movie was such a blast as well. How is any super hero movie going to top this?

Things are looking very promising for converted 3d with Avengers and Titanic.
post #20 of 27 Old 10-01-2012, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange11 View Post

Quote:

Ghosting is almost always a problem with the display, usually due to inadequate pixel response times and sometimes with active 3D glasses. No ghosting is encoded on major Hollywood Blu-ray releases.

If the potato cod and many other objects in Under the Sea do not appear to be poking out of your television screen, then something is wrong. It could be your TV settings, altering convergence and shifting everything behind the screen, or a lack of binocular vision (in which your brain would mainly see the flat image from your dominant eye), or the inability of your eyes to properly converge on parts of the stereo image (in which some objects in a frame could be viewed comfortably and others deep in positive or negative parallax would look double-imaged and uncomfortable). How are you defining "pop-out," and what is a "front of the screen shot?"

I seem to have no problem with depth into the screen. I would define "pop-out" as seeming to be in front of the glass of the tv which I would mostly associate with cheesy 3d shots."Front of the screen" trouble some shotswould be something that just came in screen while the camera is moving to the side or pulling back toward the viewer. Under the sea would have a descent mount of rocks/coral which would be in the lower corner of the screen and just not look right. Most 3d movies I own have at least one scene that pulls me out of the 3d illusion. One such scene I can think of is in Alice in Wonderland. Just after she is in Wonderland when the cat thing is chasing the camera starts moving towards the viewer in a chase scene. There is a lot of grass and shrubs that pop into the scene that makes it a bit uncomfortable..

As far as settings. My blu ray player (Samsung c6900) has a setting for tv size (set to my tv size of 63") and a setting for automatically engaging the tv's 3d setting (set to on). My tv (Samsung 63c7000) has settings for 3d view point (set to 0, rangs is -5 to +5) which seems to introduce ghosting in most scenes when not set to 0. There is a setting for depth but that is unavailable for 3d blu-rays. There is also a picture correction setting which I'm assuming flips the left and right eye feeds. Generally when I play with that it is very obvious when it is wrong. I did flip it at the start of the Avengers and things seemed fine as far as depth into the screen. But when I went to watch Under the Sea afterwards I had to engage that setting again because it seemed wrong for Under the Sea. Perhaps I screwed it up for Avengers...?

I have never had any problems seeing depth on my tv. And definitely watch some blu rays last year with some "pop out". I'll have to re-watch one of my older movies (and the gun scene in avengers again) later. I am going to be 32 in a few months, so there is always age. Though I do feel like my vision is still 20/20 or darn close to it.

As far as ghosting most of it does usually happen with dark scenes. The nigh time moon scene in Shrek and the early Avengers scenes are often dark. I also felt A Christmas Carol wasn't a very good 3d movie and noticed the dark scenes where particularly poor. I sit between 9-11 feet back.
post #21 of 27 Old 10-01-2012, 02:02 PM

Liked: 16
There is an incredible gimmicky pop-out scene in Under the Sea where a potato cod fish floats out of the screen about 75% of the distance between the screen and the viewer. It sounds like your vision might be normal, and your TV is not altering the BD's convergence settings (your -5 to +5 setting), so that's good. If there were no "pop-out" moments, the only other thing I can think of is that your left and right frames were switched from your picture correction setting, which would cause lots of eye strain and invert the 3D, causing background objects to appear in the foreground and vice versa. Other than that, I'm not sure why things would appear behind the screen for you when they appear in front of the screen for others.

The rocks and corals around the very lateral edges of the screen in Under the Sea don't look right because of the difference in the placement of the two parallel 3D cameras when filming. Objects around the lateral periphery will only appear in one eye view. This is exaggerated in Under the Sea because it has very strong parallax or image separation. Since the film was made to be seen in IMAX theaters where the screen fills your periphery vision, those edge violations won't be as noticeable when you sit closer to the TV.

And yeah, ghosting is exaggerated in high contrast areas where the screen's pixels have to change quickly from dark color to light color. DLPs, for example, have very fast pixel response times and have no ghosting. A small amount of ghosting in other areas can make objects appear just slightly blurry, rather than completely double-imaged.
post #22 of 27 Old 10-02-2012, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok. So I'm all good now. I found the cod fish scene (~ 20:56). The first time I viewed it I felt that unfocused feeling again. But then I played it back and my eyes complied that time. Lots of fish in my living room. I kept looping it (really wish my player had a->b loop functionality) to view from different angles and distances and each time it looked great. Whether I was 5 feet away, 7 feet at 45 degrees off center, 13+ feet away just behind my couch, and sitting at my normal positions.

I want to explain it as I wasn't watching properly. Now I seem to enjoy Under the Sea a lot more then the first viewing as most of the scenes looked better, aside from the previously mentioned side elements.

Back to the thread topic.

I also checked the gun scene in the Avengers. I could mostly see it. As TonyDP said, my sets aren't great at high contrast scenes and this scene is in a low lit room with a bright light in the frame so the gun has some ghosting/haloing in it. But I could see a noticeable amount of pop-out.

This disc makes me happy with 2d->3d conversion potential. I don't count Alice in Wonderland as a 2d conversion as it is like 90% CG which can be rendered properly.
post #23 of 27 Old 10-04-2012, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Okay, after seeing the Titanic and now Avengers conversion, I am sold on 2D to 3D, which I truly thought would bring down the 3D house of cards. On my 159" High Power screen, driven by an Optoma HD3300, the movie was clear, no 3D stuttering artifacts and good to excellent depth. Well done.
post #24 of 27 Old 11-15-2012, 01:06 PM

Liked: 11
good movie, good 3d conversion, etc.
But it only pauses in 2D with a 3D popup menu on the lower left. Pause, frame advance, slo-mo, fast-mo are all in 2D.
Tried on both a PS3 and a Sony blu-ray player. They don't want us inspecting the 3D conversion, or is it just my players?
Even in 2D, pause view shouldn't be blocked with a stupid popup menu IMHO.
post #25 of 27 Old 11-15-2012, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
this was one of the first discs I watched and the subtitles during the initial scene with Black Widow are horrible out of focus. Just absolutely ridiculous ghosting. Is this an issue with my TV, the disc, or a combination?
post #26 of 27 Old 11-15-2012, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 47
It'll be your display, if it's prone to ghosting in high-contrast scenes like that one. Ghosting can never be from the source, it's not encoded that way. I saw some ghosting on my setup (passive), but it wasn't what I would call "out of focus", it just looked like normal ghosting.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #27 of 27 Old 11-15-2012, 11:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Okay, after seeing the Titanic and now Avengers conversion, I am sold on 2D to 3D, which I truly thought would bring down the 3D house of cards. On my 159" High Power screen, driven by an Optoma HD3300, the movie was clear, no 3D stuttering artifacts and good to excellent depth. Well done.

I also have the same PJ and thought this movie was really, really great in 3D. Definitely preferable to the 2D version, IMHO.

Reply 3D Content

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Marvels The Avengers Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo In Blu Ray Packaging

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page