Resident Evil: Retribution - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-15-2012, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Didn't see a thread for this movie so I thought I would post some impressions after seeing it today with my brother.

In terms of plot (what little there is) Alice continues her fight against the minions of the Umbrella Corporation and the endless zombie horde. This time around Alice and her friends are fighting to escape a gigantic testing complex located in the former USSR (think the Star Trek TNG holodecks with the safety protocols turned off) where they meet good and evil clones of former companions and enemies. You don't see a movie like this for plot; you go for the action and check your brain at the door. On that level the film delivers with some well staged action sequences, even if many of them feel like riffs on similar setpieces from other movies. Late in the film for example, Retribution goes all Aliens as Alice must rescue a little girl who may or may not be her daughter; the whole sequence plays out like the Ripley rescues Newt section of Aliens, right down to the girl stuck in a gooey pod. And of course, the movie ends with yet another quasi-cliffhanger. Still on the whole, I was entertained.

In terms of 3D, the film looked to be shot natively and has a very strong sense of depth for just about all its running time; there is also lots in the way of bullets, shrapnel, blood and all sorts of particles that fly out of the screen towards you (more than the prior film, I thought). In particular, a chase sequence around a reconstruction of the Kremlin as our heroes are pursued by zombified USSR soldiers armed with everything from machine guns to RPGs was especially entertaining and both made me duck a few times and wonder what one of those classic Bond chases would have looked like if it had been shot in 3D (not that the current filmmakers would ever consider doing something fun like that again in one of their now turgid movies).

If you liked the previous Resident Evil movies then you'll probably like this one as well; just don't go in expecting thoughtful plots or characterizations, as that's not what this series is about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-17-2012, 01:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
All bang....no story. We were disappointed that the film did not generate much suspense...watching it is something like watching someone else play a video game. And it drew some unintended laughs from the audience. The 3D was plentiful in terms of ongoing depth and special effects, true, but we all left the theater disappointed and wondering if the series will recover, or even continue, after this one.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-17-2012, 05:43 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
While I didn't expect much from this film plot wise, I have to agree with the comments above that the plot was week and commented to this fact after I left the theater.

However, I did see it in IMAX 3D and thought the sense of depth and 3D effects very very good. Got in for the senior price of $10.50.

I'm a fan of Mila Jojovich ever since I saw her in the "5th Element" so overall I enjoyed the movie.
post #4 of 5 Old 09-17-2012, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
We are at the 5th one of these and people are expecting anything other then good action scenes?

I enjoyed it, other then a few cringe worthy lines from Jill, followed by very odd shots of Jill shooting. For some reason I felt the 3d was better in the last one though.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-01-2012, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhill View Post

We are at the 5th one of these and people are expecting anything other then good action scenes?
I enjoyed it, other then a few cringe worthy lines from Jill, followed by very odd shots of Jill shooting. For some reason I felt the 3d was better in the last one though.

Yes the story was lacking but the action was great. I agree with you that the last film's 3D felt better than this one. Still a fun movie to watch and I will probably purchase since I have all the others. This was definitely my least favorite of all the resident evil movies for me. I felt disppointed a little with the film...Maybe because I really enjoyed the last one. Favorite has to be the 2nd movie in Racoon City.

You guys going to buy this when it comes out on 3D blu ray?
Reply 3D Content

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , The Fifth Element Remastered Blu Ray , Resident Evil Apocalypse Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Resident by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page