Anyone Come Across Any 3D BDs That Do Not Play On A Regular BD Player? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-18-2012, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Just curious if anyone has come across any 3D BD titles that are not backwards compatible to a regular BD player - the disc will not play in 2D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-18-2012, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 3503 Post(s)
Liked: 1769
Do you mean a 2D player in a system with a 3D-capable AVR and 3D-capable display?
Or a 2D player in a 2D system?

I was under the impression that many 3D discs include code which checks for 3D support in all of the equipment involved and refuse to play if they all aren't 3D compatible. I've certainly seen complaints posted in the forum by people trying to play some 3D discs which refused to play in 3D systems because the discs thought something wasn't compatible.

(I have a 2D system. The only 3D disc I have is in a John Carter combo pack. I could test it this evening if nobody else provides any examples.)

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #3 of 9 Old 09-18-2012, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

Or a 2D player in a 2D system?

That configuration

post #4 of 9 Old 09-18-2012, 02:13 PM

Liked: 14
On multi-disc sets, with the 3D and 2D versions on separate discs, the 3D disc will not play on a 2D setup. They will show a message saying that you need a 3D TV and capable player. I don't have this but the FIFA Soccer disc says "Only plays in 3D" on the front cover, and I've heard the set of 3 Toy Story movies only plays in 3D also.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-18-2012, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 3503 Post(s)
Liked: 1769
I just tried the John Carter 3D disc. It displayed the Disney castle, then prompted for a language, then showed the error message "The disc has recognized that your player and/or display does not support 3D playback..."

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #6 of 9 Old 09-18-2012, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Yes- In almost every situation when a 3-D Bluray is also paired up with a separate bluray disc with the 2-D version.

With MVC Bluray encoding all content could (and by default "should") be able to play back fine on 2-D gear. This restriction is an authoring decision.

The studios often make the 2-D bluray with the special features and then put the more bit-rate intensive 3-D version on its own disc. My guess is with these situations the studios don't want consumers immediately selling off their extra copies (be they 2D or 3D) .. hence the authoring restriction. Its worth noting I once tried playing my "Tron Legacy" 3-D Bluray disc in my 3-D Bluray player when it was hooked up to a 2-D projector. Playback was still prohibited.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-23-2012, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1313 Post(s)
Liked: 373
I agree it is an authoring restriction. When I order a multidisk title, I often give the 2D BD to my daughter. I'm aware that I lose the extra features but usually, I watch these once and never again, so the disk has no additional value to me.

I do recall once experimenting with my Sony 90ES projector and my Vizio 32" panel and here I can shut off the 3D and watch in 2D if I wanted to. But in each case the player is a 3D player.

My 3D videos and more
Don Landis HT System: Projector Sony VPL VW665ES Players: Samsung UBD K8500 OPPO BD93 Sony BDP S6200 All Regions Player Denon AVR 4311ci, 7.1 JBL Professional series and Klipsch PS3, XBOX360, Dish VIP722K; 3D Edit Suite: Edius7.53, Vegas Pro v13, Power Director15, i7-950, LG 3D TV DM2752
post #8 of 9 Old 10-05-2012, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I only have one 3D disc out of seventeen that plays only in a 3D player. That
title is "Carmen in 3D." This disc is of the opera "Carmen."
post #9 of 9 Old 07-22-2017, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Sorry it's an old thread, but I just finally got a 3D capable projector and PS4 to play the discs....

IMO, this should not be legal to restrict the disc like that artificially given the claims they made early on that 3D discs would play on a 2D player. Most include a 2D disc, but some don't (e.g. Oz The Great And Powerful is a 3D Blu-Ray Player ONLY title that doesn't include a 2D disc, just a digital copy). But then neither should it be legal to disable the skip buttons and force advertising on you after you've purchased a movie; who the heck should have to put up with 10 year old ads thrown in your face in the future (sadly the PS4 *BEGS* you every single time you start a BD to turn BD Live back on so they can spam you with Internet movie previews).

Fortunately, no amount of ads or flags stops one from ripping the 3D disc and playing the resultant file in a player like Kodi in 2D and skipping all the freaking previews and annoying menus, etc. (still can't do it with 4K so screw the Ultra discs). Still, no wonder 3D Blu-Ray is dying. 3D BD was marketed as being fully backwards compatible with 2D players when it came out. They should have said, "Unless we don't feel like it, which is most of the time."

Sony has gone to even lower depths lately. They stopped putting Atmos meta code on the 2D and/or 3D discs included even though it's fully compatible with both (e.g. Ghostbusters Ultra 4K + 3D + 2D + Digital only has Atmos on the 4K disc...as if I don't want height information when I watch it in 3D!?!?!?!? WTF!?!? I mean it's one thing if they were only doing that for 4K discs by themselves (which I don't think exist; they all pack a 1080p disc too) as that's Sony's way to "encouraging" you to only buy more expensive (and therefore more profitable) 4K discs even if you don't have a 4K set (e.g. my new Epson 3100 projector is only 1080p since only Sony has true 4K projectors and they still cost $5000+ with no lens shift). But then I'd need a 4K player just to down-convert to a compatible signals and here AGAIN, *SONY* (inventor of BD) doesn't include 4K support in the Playstation 4 (while oddly Microsoft does and costs $20-30 less)! But what exactly is the point of not including Atmos on the 2D or 3D discs that are included in a pack set? You already bought the 4K disc! Are they that afraid you'll sell it to someone that would otherwise buy the separate 1080p Blu-Ray that won't include Atmos? Yeah, I could see that. But how many people have Atmos receivers right now (and actually have the height speakers needed to make ANY difference what-so-ever) that they're that worried about it that they'd rather screw over the people that did buy that equipment (say a real home theater fan that wants a really big screen and therefore needs a projector...but projectors don't support 4K worth a darn yet) by giving them 5.1 only (as Ghostbusters does in both 3D and 2D) ???

You'd think they'd want to encourage 4K sales by getting as many 4K players into houses as quickly as possible (worked for regular BD with the PS3), but no...they apparently literally want Ultra 4K BD to FAIL so they can proceed with a streaming store instead....? It makes NO SENSE (yet they indicated streaming "is the future" as the reason they didn't include a 4K BD drive...Sony--maker of BD thinks streaming is the future and so there's no point in having a 4K drive on a PS4..... (FACE PALM)

I think maybe someone in Sony's Playstation division should be FIRED.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Content

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page