Prometheius - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-11-2012, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Where is all the excitement about this block buster 3D purchase.

Enjoyed it just as much as home as I did 4 times at the cinema (high brow).

Good depth, not much pop out.

Supposed to have alternate beginning and ending but I did not find this on the 3D version.

Maybe just on the blu-ray version?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2012, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Odd but the depth in the UK release is mediocore to say the least. I really like the film from an entertainment point of view but the 3D is nothing to write home about. The same complaint has been made in the uk overclockersa forum too so it does make me wonder if something is amiss in the uk release?
Old 10-11-2012, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I was wondering myself, its been out since Tuesday and nobody has put up any thoughts yet? Yeah, the 3D is just kinda there. The best effect was the giant dust storm. The debris popped out, giving a sense that you were in the storm too smile.gif. The real star of this disc is the audio! The sounds of the ships blasting off was awesome.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
The abortion scene still grosses me out :-)
Old 10-11-2012, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 33
IMHO, the 3D in Prometheus is nothing special. It's certainly nice looking, but IMHO it offers nothing significant beyond the 2D experience. I was looking into whether the 3D was anything special prior to making the purchase and I found mixed messages. Now I can say it's just a decent 3D experience.

I saw the 2D version in the theater and watched the 3D version last night (4 disc bluray).

I know different people are looking for different things with regard to 3D. I'm not looking for "in your face" 3D, but just a very immerse experience (lots of depth and dimensionality). Except for a few scenes, I didn't feel Prometheus 3D provided this experience. It's nothing like Avatar, for example.

Oh well. At least I enjoyed the movie.

FWIW, I found the post production 3D from Avengers to be more engaging. I preferred Avengers 3D over 2D.

(again... all my opinion... you may disagree!)
Old 10-11-2012, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I thought the 3D was on the conservative side: moderate depth and very minimal pop. Even though the movie was often quite dark, I never had any trouble making scenes out even with the glasses on and ghosting was completely nonexistent on my 2010 Samsung plasma.

As to the movie itself, I saw it at the theater and liked it but was not blown away by it. That was pretty much my reaction when watching it again at home. Interestingly, the deleted scenes (only visible on the 2D BluRay disc) are far superior in my opinion to the what we got in the finished cut. An alternate scene of a far more alien looking Fifield (in which his melted helmet harkens more closely to the translucent dome of the original alien) attacking the crew and alternate ending where Weyland speaks to the engineer and dares compare himself to a god were far more interesting than what we got in the actual movie. There's also an interesting scene between Janek and Vickers wherein Janek relates a story from his days as a soldier which nicely summarizes the what the crew has discovered (it feels far more organic and smartly laid out than the scene in the film where he tells Elizabeth that the planet is a giant weapons station). The alternate scenes of Elizabeth confronting the engineer and her final conversation with David are also far more interesting and thought provoking (and also tell us exactly where they are going in the alien ship at the end).

In watching the excellent documentary on the making of the film it becomes pretty obvious that Ridley Scott sometimes outsmarts himself as he comes up with idea after idea while in production and I think he sometimes doesn't know when to leave well enough alone or what is dramatically satisfying (shades of his decision to cut the cocoon scene from the first Alien). If he'd left some of that excised footage in the movie I think the final experience would have been far more enjoyable, interesting and relateable to the original Alien.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Thanks guys for your experiences with the 3d. This is exactly why I'd rather read the reviews from users on this forum over the "professional" reviews. Sometimes they exaggerate so badly. Best example was The Smurfs in 3d. Perfect 3d, really?
Old 10-11-2012, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Prometheus was beautiful to me. It was nice. I don't know how else to describe it. It was kind of eerily soothing.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:01 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

I thought the 3D was on the conservative side: moderate depth and very minimal pop. Even though the movie was often quite dark, I never had any trouble making scenes out even with the glasses on and ghosting was completely nonexistent on my 2010 Samsung plasma.

As to the movie itself, I saw it at the theater and liked it but was not blown away by it. That was pretty much my reaction when watching it again at home. Interestingly, the deleted scenes (only visible on the 2D BluRay disc) are far superior in my opinion to the what we got in the finished cut. An alternate scene of a far more alien looking Fifield (in which his melted helmet harkens more closely to the translucent dome of the original alien) attacking the crew and alternate ending where Weyland speaks to the engineer and dares compare himself to a god were far more interesting than what we got in the actual movie. There's also an interesting scene between Janek and Vickers wherein Janek relates a story from his days as a soldier which nicely summarizes the what the crew has discovered (it feels far more organic and smartly laid out than the scene in the film where he tells Elizabeth that the planet is a giant weapons station). The alternate scenes of Elizabeth confronting the engineer and her final conversation with David are also far more interesting and thought provoking (and also tell us exactly where they are going in the alien ship at the end).

In watching the excellent documentary on the making of the film it becomes pretty obvious that Ridley Scott sometimes outsmarts himself as he comes up with idea after idea while in production and I think he sometimes doesn't know when to leave well enough alone or what is dramatically satisfying (shades of his decision to cut the cocoon scene from the first Alien). If he'd left some of that excised footage in the movie I think the final experience would have been far more enjoyable, interesting and relateable to the original Alien.

Agree 100%. Very well said. I stopped listening to the producer voice over on the deleted scenes. I have to go back because for the life of me I don't get why they dropped the more heavily mutated Fifield from the final release. Also some of the extra dialog scenes are very puzzling to drop.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have to agree about the 3D of this disc seeming a bit underwhelming, especially in scenes where it had more potential like when the navigation hologram is fired up and spinning around that control room. I still really enjoyed the movie in 3D and I guess it's just a more refrained approach to implementing it so it doesn't appear too gimmicky and pull viewers out of the movie.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bontrager View Post

Supposed to have alternate beginning and ending but I did not find this on the 3D version.
That's referring to the slightly-different opening and closing segments included in the deleted scenes, there were never any changes to the feature itself. They change nothing as far as story goes. The beginning is only two or three shots longer, and the ending has a slight dialog change that most people probably wouldn't even notice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMyers View Post

I know different people are looking for different things with regard to 3D.
That's the most brilliant thing I've heard yet about 3D. Thank you!

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:07 AM

Liked: 12
You guys ever read the IMDB USER reviews for new movies? Its freakin hilarious how they'll tear a movie apart biggrin.gif! I like read all the 1-5 score reviews biggrin.gif! They'll criticize every dumb, nonsensical scene! Like Liam Neeson NOT dying of hypothermia after emerging from freezing water in The Grey biggrin.gif! Here they talk about the scientist's lack of common sense in removing his helmet on another planets atmosphere biggrin.gif!

But look...sometimes they gotta realize that if the characters in the film WEREN'T that dumb, and reality wasnt twisted a little-there wouldnt be a MOVIE biggrin.gif!! The movie would either be over in 20 minutes, or it would put you to sleep biggrin.gif!
Old 10-14-2012, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreHD View Post

You guys ever read the IMDB USER reviews for new movies? Its freakin hilarious how they'll tear a movie apart biggrin.gif! I like read all the 1-5 score reviews biggrin.gif! They'll criticize every dumb, nonsensical scene! Like Liam Neeson NOT dying of hypothermia after emerging from freezing water in The Grey biggrin.gif! Here they talk about the scientist's lack of common sense in removing his helmet on another planets atmosphere biggrin.gif!
But look...sometimes they gotta realize that if the characters in the film WEREN'T that dumb, and reality wasnt twisted a little-there wouldnt be a MOVIE biggrin.gif!! The movie would either be over in 20 minutes, or it would put you to sleep biggrin.gif!
Or, the other option is, write something both logical AND entertaining.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefoo View Post

...both logical AND entertaining.
Error, error.. DOES NOT COMPUTE.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Haven't seen the movie yet, but I have it in Non 3d Blue Ray and I have the 3D rental coming. Judging by all the opinions here, I may skip the 3D and just watch it on regular Blue Ray.

Interestingly, it is recorded in 7.1 surround sound which is likely why so many people like the sound so much. It's pretty rare to find many movies recorded in higher than 5.1. I have a 6.1 system I put together in my home, and the difference is very noticeable. I didn't really see any point in the 7th speaker though.