post #181 of 217 Old 05-31-2013, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukumar View Post

Is there any 3d movie list with recommended start time for special 3D effect? I am trying to make clips out of movies. It would be great if somebody can share any link to small 3D clips with special effects.

If you're trying to put together something that puts 3D in a very positive light, avoid the in-your-face scenes that are "there for 3D's sake", and go with scenes that are easy to see and seamlessly immerse you into the film. All but a couple scenes from Avatar are great in this. I'd suggest Ice Age 4 too, but just not the part with Skrat's nose in your living room. LOL....

Oh, and WHATEVER YOU DO, do not put in anything remotely resembling a spoiler. No character deaths, no unpredicted battles, etc., etc. You'll make people verrrrrrrrrrry angry. smile.gif

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. Unless, of course, it's to keep someone from creating a phone video in portrait mode, in which case it's a pretty good first step. Portrait mooks: KNOCK IT OFF.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 217 Old 05-31-2013, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Side Note: I saw the new 4K XBR. HMOG!!!!! Is that thing smooth or what? But horrible crosstalk if you're not vertically lined up just right. My 2K passive set is far far more forgiving. The FPR filter must not be tight enough against the LCD array.

This was one of my fears of 4k passive that I have brought up before... the idea of more lines of resolution is great, but the FPR becomes much smaller and thus easier for light to blead around.

Think about having a flourescnet tube light and putting a thick dowel or broom handle in front of it. If you line it up just right, it will block out almost all the light, move a bit and a little of hte light pops out from behind it but it's still mostly blocked.

Now imaginge a really thin light source and block it with a thick piece of string or something. If you move much at all the ENTIRE light source will no longer be blocked.

Because the light source of an LCD is behind the panel and the crystal must be stacked 3 deep in front of it, the FPR will always have some margin of error and as the FPR eliments get smaller and smaller the tighter that sweet spot is going to be...

Basically I figure it will have to opposite effect of higher resoultion in that the higher th res the closer you have to be to appreciate it, as the FPR gets smaller, the further you will have to be back to get the same sized sweet spot.

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D
post #183 of 217 Old 05-31-2013, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukumar View Post

Is there any 3d movie list with recommended start time for special 3D effect? I am trying to make clips out of movies. It would be great if somebody can share any link to small 3D clips with special effects.

Grab the obviously potato cod scene from under the sea and the harrier jump jet from history of flight or whatever (which is on the LG demo reel also).

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D
post #184 of 217 Old 05-31-2013, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devedander View Post

Grab the obviously potato cod scene from under the sea and the harrier jump jet from history of flight or whatever (which is on the LG demo reel also).

That scene made my eyes cross! It was pretty cool!

Add in some 'dream' sequences from Life of Pi or the beginning Zoo part of the movie to demo your 3D system to people.

October HorrorFest Participant
post #185 of 217 Old 05-31-2013, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Side Note: I saw the new 4K XBR. HMOG!!!!! Is that thing smooth or what? But horrible crosstalk if you're not vertically lined up just right. My 2K passive set is far far more forgiving. The FPR filter must not be tight enough against the LCD array.

This was one of my fears of 4k passive that I have brought up before... the idea of more lines of resolution is great, but the FPR becomes much smaller and thus easier for light to blead around.

Think about having a flourescnet tube light and putting a thick dowel or broom handle in front of it. If you line it up just right, it will block out almost all the light, move a bit and a little of hte light pops out from behind it but it's still mostly blocked.

Now imaginge a really thin light source and block it with a thick piece of string or something. If you move much at all the ENTIRE light source will no longer be blocked.

Because the light source of an LCD is behind the panel and the crystal must be stacked 3 deep in front of it, the FPR will always have some margin of error and as the FPR eliments get smaller and smaller the tighter that sweet spot is going to be...

Basically I figure it will have to opposite effect of higher resoultion in that the higher th res the closer you have to be to appreciate it, as the FPR gets smaller, the further you will have to be back to get the same sized sweet spot.

Yep. It was one of my fears as well and I had completely forgotten about it until I saw it at BB. But there really is no reason that the FPR can't be ever tighter against the LCD array. All things that stack are themselves smaller in X/Y, there's no reason I can see that everything can't linearly compress in Z as well.

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. Unless, of course, it's to keep someone from creating a phone video in portrait mode, in which case it's a pretty good first step. Portrait mooks: KNOCK IT OFF.
post #186 of 217 Old 05-31-2013, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'm sure if this is what you're asking for, but you can check out the following:

http://3d-tv-gaming.blogspot.ca/2011/12/top-10-3d-pop-out-moments.html
post #187 of 217 Old 06-01-2013, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny905 View Post

I'm sure if this is what you're asking for, but you can check out the following:

http://3d-tv-gaming.blogspot.ca/2011/12/top-10-3d-pop-out-moments.html

One of the people referred to one of the movies showing "minor cross talk". Note: The movie was showing the crosstalk.

I hope he knows what he's talking about. Cross talk is getting L information bled to the R eye and vice versa. It is not seeing dual images when you hope to see just one.

I was talking with my 8 year old about this very phenomenon in a different way. Look at anything IRL in the foreground, the images in the background are doubled. Parallax is part of bi-ocular 3D vision, and this is normal.

post #188 of 217 Old 06-01-2013, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 49
He's probably correct.. bright objects against a dark background are very prone to crosstalk if the display is susceptible to it. It happens in the display, not the movie. That's just the nature of current 3D technology.. it actually has nothing to do with the movie itself, as it's completely impossible for crosstalk to be encoded into the video stream (anyone that claims otherwise has no idea how 3D video actually works). In this case, what he's probably referring to is just catching a faint "echo" of the other eye vision, which is how these things tend to manifest.

FWIW, I don't recall seeing any crosstalk when I watched that scene on my TV. If it was there, it was very faint and I didn't notice it (and I know how to spot it).

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #189 of 217 Old 06-01-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

You're right, but I'd refrase it differently: It has to do with vertical viewing angle, not distance per se. That viewing angle ends up giving you more physical vertical distance the further back you go.

To be clear though: The problem with the 4K FPR is that the light "bleeding around" (as you say) is actually information meant for the other eye. The L "scanline" part of the FPR is now filtering the scanline above or below it (both containing R info) to a certain extent which mandates crosstalk.

And it's truly unfortunate. Until they can compress manufacturing in Z, it'll probably continue. frown.gif

post #190 of 217 Old 06-01-2013, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

It depends heavily on how far away from the screen you are. I get bad crosstalk on my computer monitor because I'm only about 30" away from it. But my television is fine, sitting at about 10', despite its much larger size. I don't imagine that would change just because the resolution goes up.. meaning it probably still won't be ideal for computer monitor use, but will be fine for full-sized TVs.

post #191 of 217 Old 06-01-2013, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi2016 View Post

It depends heavily on how far away from the screen you are. I get bad crosstalk on my computer monitor because I'm only about 30" away from it. But my television is fine, sitting at about 10', despite its much larger size. I don't imagine that would change just because the resolution goes up.. meaning it probably still won't be ideal for computer monitor use, but will be fine for full-sized TVs.

We're saying the same thing: The amount of vertical freedom you get (in inches) increases the further back you are, just as the distance between the two vectors of any angle increases with distance.

Where we're apart is that *does* change with resolution if the FPR filter doesn't proportionately get closer to the LCD array.

post #192 of 217 Old 06-01-2013, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, why didn't you say so? tongue.gif

*stumbles off drunkenly*

post #193 of 217 Old 06-01-2013, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

LOL!

post #194 of 217 Old 01-05-2014, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
3D gaming excites much more than 3D movies. Uncharted 3, Ico, Shadow of the Colossus on the PS3 are great. Tomb Raider 2013 on the PC is awesome in 3D!!!!!!!!!

I've heard good things about Trine2 on the PS4. Going to have to check that out.
post #195 of 217 Old 01-05-2014, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm glad someone moved the rock from the cave holding this thread.  We discovered something interesting in FIOS at home.

Though their design team is hopelessly inept, the FIOS UI has a 3D section for current movies.  It's hidden under the obtuse name "collections".

There you'll find all kinds of current releases for on-demand rental.  Sure, things like recent Star Trek cost $8 to rent, but suck it up.  Better than buying a $30 (on sale) 3DBD that you'll watch once.

By the way, Monsters University 3D is an absolutely wonderful movie to watch with kids.  Not quite as good as the first movie, but it stands strong enough on its own.

post #196 of 217 Old 01-05-2014, 04:46 PM

Glad to be of service! smile.gif

Forgot to mention that Racing games work great in 3D. Thinking iRacing, Asetto Corsa, Game Stock 2013, etc
post #197 of 217 Old 01-16-2014, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
On my ps3 i hated 3d. The dramatic reduction in resolution made the games (uncharted 3 included) a choppy mess. Trine 2 on my PS4, however, is much better. Its still reduced in resolution (from 1080p to 720p) but thats far less damaging then Uncharted 3s 720p to.... whatever they reduce it to.

The developers say that Trine 2 can run in 3d at full 1080p, however an update for ps4 firmware is required first. Maybe related to the PS4s inability to play 3d bluRays yet?
post #198 of 217 Old 01-16-2014, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityinruin View Post

The developers say that Trine 2 can run in 3d at full 1080p, however an update for ps4 firmware is required first. Maybe related to the PS4s inability to play 3d bluRays yet?
Nothing to do with Blu-ray, it has to do with the HDMI specification. HDMI is currently limited to 24fps 3D at full 1080p. That's the only reason the Trine devs lowered the resolution, was to keep the framerate at 60fps.

For PC gaming, on the other hand, dual-link DVI can carry a full 1080p 3D signal at 60fps.

post #199 of 217 Old 01-17-2014, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi2016 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityinruin View Post

Nothing to do with Blu-ray, it has to do with the HDMI specification. HDMI is currently limited to 24fps 3D at full 1080p. That's the only reason the Trine devs lowered the resolution, was to keep the framerate at 60fps.

You can't be certain of that, can you?  Yes, HDMI has limits, but there's also dramatic increase in demand in CPU/GPU bandwidth when you go to 3D.  It could well be that the 2D version of the game already had pushed the computing limits of the device.

post #200 of 217 Old 01-17-2014, 07:58 AM

Last night I saw a 3D movie for the first time. 47 Ronin to be exact. Why 3D isn't a block buster is beyond me. It was in a theater and some say that experience can't be replicated at home. I'm tempted to sell my set for a 3D projector or something

post #201 of 217 Old 01-17-2014, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefSoundz View Post

Last night I saw a 3D movie for the first time. 47 Ronin to be exact. Why 3D isn't a block buster is beyond me. It was in a theater and some say that experience can't be replicated at home. I'm tempted to sell my set for a 3D projector or something

I have no clue how well 3D is used to convey the story of 47 Ronin, but be SURE to see Gravity and Avatar (and Life of Pi I've heard but cannot say for sure).  Gravity and Avatar are films where I completely forgot that it was 3D....it was so transparently perfect a vehicle for pulling me into the story line that the story hit like a ton of bricks in both cases.  Truly remarkable films.

If you have kids, watch Oz: The Great and Powerful.  I saw it at home, and on my passive 3D 60" it was very well done.

post #202 of 217 Old 01-17-2014, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:

My wife and myself love 3D movies, we get sad every time we hear someone say 3D is dead or dying. We have one 55” and 80” passive 3D LED-LCD sets and enjoy movies on both. I can say one thing though BAD 3D sucks butt. It’s not like watching a bad 2D movie you can get tired, dizzy even sick.

Check this out from Displaymate by Dr. Raymond Soneira

Recommendations for Viewing 3D TVs
There are a number of simple steps that can be taken to maximize TV viewing comfort and reduce the likelihood of eye strain and fatigue for viewing 3D TVs. Many of them apply to normal 2D viewing as well.

Position: set the center of the TV as close to eye height as possible – use a tilt mount if it isn’t. The principal viewing positions should be close to straight on and not at a large viewing angle. Orient the TV to minimize reflections from room lighting, windows and sunlight. If that is not possible use window treatments to control exterior light.

Ambient Lighting: make sure the ambient lighting is not too bright – which washes out the picture and 3D imaging – but also make sure that it’s not too dim either, with all of the lights turned off, because that definitely causes eye strain from excessive contrast in the visual field. It’s best to have some subdued illumination surrounding the TV. Consider repositioning, dimming or turning off room lights that reflect off the screen. If you have Active Shutter Glasses consider turning off any fluorescent lights or replacing them with LED or incandescent bulbs.

Adjustments: be proactive and make a few adjustments to the TV Menu settings. The most important are Backlight Brightness and Color. Set them appropriately for your viewing conditions and comfort: not too high or too low, just right… Start off by significantly lowering the Backlight Brightness so it is too dim, then slowly raise it until it feels just right. TVs are frequently set too bright for night viewing, which causes eye strain. Excessively strong color can also cause eye strain, consider adjusting it as well for maximum comfort.

3D Viewing Issues:
When watching 3D TV some of the above issues become more important, and there are also a few additional considerations:

1. Don’t sit too close to the TV – a minimum of 6 to 8 feet. Move back if you sense eye strain or fatigue. Proper eye height and optimum viewing angles are especially important for viewing 3D. A tilt mount is essential if you have put the TV high up, like over a fireplace.

2. Don’t watch 3D in the dark. Make sure there is sufficient ambient light so that you can focus on the bezel or frame of the TV in order to make it easy for your eyes to establish the proper focal distance for the on-screen 3D images.

3. Avoid staring at out of focus objects and content because your eyes will automatically try to bring them into focus, and can’t, which causes eye strain.

4. Limit the amount of extreme 3D and Out of the Screen effects, which often lead to eye strain. Consider sitting further back from the TV if there is a lot of it.

5. Because of the way the brain processes 3D information, viewers at different viewing angles will see somewhat different perspective views of the same 3D image. The effect can be quite large when a scene has significant depth.

6. Don’t combine large vertical viewing angles with off center horizontal viewing because their combined Crosstalk and perspective effects are cumulative.

Recommendations for 3D Producers
The biggest issue for 3D production is using the same cameras and camera techniques for combined 2D and 3D shooting. For 3D try not to have anything out of focus anywhere in the picture – in particular don’t use focus and limited depth of field to highlight the main object of attention the way it is normally done with 2D. It’s very important to maximize the depth of field and keep everything in focus at all times for 3D content.
Rudy1 likes this.

Vizio 80" 3D LED M801D-A3 SpectraCal-CalMAN 5
Onkyo TX-NR818 w/ Polk Monitor 50 (Fronts), Onkyo SK-520 (Surronds), SKW-770 (Sub)
Win 8.1 PC i7 3930k, 2 Crossfire 280X's, 32GB RAM | Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3Ghz, 16 GB RAM w/ PLEX
Roku 3
Oppo BDP-103D
Xbox One, PS4, Xbox 360 S, PS3 Slim
Harmony 700
post #203 of 217 Old 01-17-2014, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

My 84" 4K LG with passive glasses provides a better picture than the theater. I have watched films in both locations and you get better resolution at home. I would recommend a projector or a large 4K TV.
post #204 of 217 Old 01-17-2014, 03:36 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Quote:

If you can accommodate a 3d projector, definitely go that route over a relatively small (in comparison) flat panel. Bigger truly is better when it comes to 3d at home IMO.
old corps likes this.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #205 of 217 Old 01-17-2014, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

If you can accommodate a 3d projector, definitely go that route over a relatively small (in comparison) flat panel. Bigger truly is better when it comes to 3d at home IMO.

+1!!!

Ed
post #206 of 217 Old 01-18-2014, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

My short answer is NO!!!!!!. My long answer is where is MORE 3D??

LG 55LW5600
Onkyo TX-NR818
Sony BDP-S570 Blu-Ray, Toshiba HD-D3KU HD-DVD
Bowers & Wilkins 683B s1
Bowers & Wilkins HTM61 s1
Polk F/XiA4 (Surrounds)
Paradigm Titan v3 (Back Surrounds)

Sewell 12ga terminated wiring
Klipsch Sub 12

Logitech 520

post #207 of 217 Old 01-19-2014, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bears t2 View Post

My short answer is NO!!!!!!. My long answer is where is MORE 3D??
+1
jbernardi and old corps like this.
post #208 of 217 Old 01-20-2014, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 120
I feel like the media is trying to tell us we don’t like 3D. All I see is reports of 3D being dead or dying but if you open your eye and look more and more films are getting the 3D treatment and for the most part they are good (well not the movies but the 3D effect is good). To me is seems 3D is here and it’s maturing. Now is the time to embrace it and move it forward. All my friends come over gawk good 3d content at home saying things such as “this is the future for sure”, “my next set will be 3D” and “this is amazing”. 3D dead I don’t think so maybe it’s undead since this is not the first life of 3D in the theater but it is the first time 3D has hit home with this quality.
dfergie and g_bartman like this.

Vizio 80" 3D LED M801D-A3 SpectraCal-CalMAN 5
Onkyo TX-NR818 w/ Polk Monitor 50 (Fronts), Onkyo SK-520 (Surronds), SKW-770 (Sub)
Win 8.1 PC i7 3930k, 2 Crossfire 280X's, 32GB RAM | Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3Ghz, 16 GB RAM w/ PLEX
Roku 3
Oppo BDP-103D
Xbox One, PS4, Xbox 360 S, PS3 Slim
Harmony 700
post #209 of 217 Old 01-21-2014, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post

I feel like the media is trying to tell us we don’t like 3D. All I see is reports of 3D being dead or dying but if you open your eye and look more and more films are getting the 3D treatment and for the most part they are good (well not the movies but the 3D effect is good). To me is seems 3D is here and it’s maturing. Now is the time to embrace it and move it forward. All my friends come over gawk good 3d content at home saying things such as “this is the future for sure”, “my next set will be 3D” and “this is amazing”. 3D dead I don’t think so maybe it’s undead since this is not the first life of 3D in the theater but it is the first time 3D has hit home with this quality.
They have from the get-go ...
post #210 of 217 Old 01-23-2014, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ide prefer the option in games. A game like trine doesn't need 60 fps, but 1080p would be beautiful. Would be nice if it was in the settings "3D 720p 60/30" or "3D 1080p 30ish".
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page