Anyone have Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 11-07-2012, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I bought it yesterday, but I got Halo 4 too, and I Chose to mess with that first. Wont be able to sit down and watch Abe for a couple days. What do you think of the 3D in the disc? I saw it in the movies, and I remember some pop out when he swung the axe biggrin.gif.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-07-2012, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I saw it in a theater and have the 3D, BD at home but haven't cracked it open yet. I rememer liking what I saw as far as the 3D and also liked the story, settings and acting. My wife liked it also. I'm sorta holding out watching at home till her niece and nephew (who like spooky stuff) can come over on a Saturday afternoon to watch it with us. Whew! I gotta stop buying stuff so much. I'm getting movies from Amazon two and three times a week.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-07-2012, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I watched the 3D BluRay last week; the 3D was a mixed bag in my opinion with depth varying greatly from shot to shot (one would look as good as a native 3D image, the next completely flat). In terms of pop-out, I found the effect didn't work particularly well on my Samsung plasma - I've noticed that when watching letterboxed 3D movies on my TV the black bars tend to work against popout effects a lot of the time. Particle and smoke effects worked well enough but other stuff rarely seemed to break the plane of the screen. There was no ghosting to speak of, even on my older plasma, so that shouldn't be a factor on most panels.
post #4 of 10 Old 11-18-2012, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter

Didn't wanna watch the movie until I got the 105 minutes free to watch it uninterupted. Cant do much else with the dark shades on smile.gif. 3D isn't spectacular, but there's some cool gun firing out the screen and axe-swing moments. Blood splattering, and a whip lash coming out the screen smile.gif.

As for the movie itself, horror is one of my favorite genres so I liked it. Its cool how the put a vampire twist on the civil war biggrin.gif. Cool freight train battle at the end too. Leader of the Vampires was pretty interesting villain. Good horror fun.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-26-2012, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ordered this during the Amazon Black Friday sales for $15. Looking forward to it!
post #6 of 10 Old 11-28-2012, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

You see the look...
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
...on Abe's face when the Vampire leader takes his axe and kicks him off the rail car biggrin.gif? His eyes were popped open, holy crap this guy snatched my axe away like he was taking candyvfrom a baby biggrin.gif! [/spoiler|
post #7 of 10 Old 12-03-2012, 04:53 PM

Liked: 18
IMO they did a really poor job on the conversion and the 3D did nothing for the movie. Still like the movie and only paid 15 bucks for it so I'm not complaining.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-03-2012, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by makinbiscuits View Post

IMO they did a really poor job on the conversion and the 3D did nothing for the movie. Still like the movie and only paid 15 bucks for it so I'm not complaining.

I thought it was pretty well done and enjoyed it a lot. Some shots had a lot of depth and there was some nice pop-out here and there. A agree with TonyDP "the 3D was a mixed bag in my opinion with depth varying greatly from shot to shot (one would look as good as a native 3D image, the next completely flat)." A mixed bag but a bag full of fun.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-03-2012, 06:24 PM

Liked: 16
Got this on Black Friday too and watched it a couple of nights ago. As far as realistic-looking depth goes, I thought the 3D was typical conversion fare. Much better than the early works from 2010 and 2011, but not as good as Titanic.

However, I loved what they did with the vampire eyes! I had never seen 3D intentionally used that way. That was really creative. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
When they were in "attack mode," their eyes sort of glowed because the eyes were different colors in the left and right frames.

The story was okay, and the action scenes were very stylish, especially the axe twirling. I was semi-disappointed though because I loved Wanted by the same director, and this movie just didn't have the same kick-ass impact. It was entertaining enough though.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-07-2012, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Now that I found the right magnification mode for 2.40 3D's, theres ONE scene in this movie I HAD to go back and rewatch fullscreen...
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Young Abe gets the nerve to confront the psycho vampire he's wanted revenge against. The vampire has one eye, because the other one has a "bullet" lodged in it from surviving Abe's first attempt to kill him smile.gif. He spots Abe, and this leads what I can only describe as a WILD, CHOATIC, moving, 100mph battle atop a huge horse stampede biggrin.gif! They're on the horses, standing on 'em, narrowly missing axe swings, getting a 100mph horse hoof to the face and trampled over biggrin.gif...the vampire has super strength so he even grabs a horsrband hurls it at Abe biggrin.gif! It crushed Abe, but didn't really hurt him! Dont horses go about 800 pounds smile.gif?! Thats another story! Hopping from horse to horse...both of them fall off the stampede and tumble down a hill...Vampire's almost dead...we're taking over this country...they will come for you now biggrin.gif...that horse stampede fight, I never seen anything quite like that biggrin.gif. It was funny in 2.40, but blown up fullscreen its freakin' hillarious! The horse is galloping towards the screen at 100mph, and its hoof catching the vampire in the face looks even more painful fullscreen biggrin.gif!!
Reply 3D Content

Tags
Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Abraham by PriceGrabber.com