I'm sure there is some code on the unit that gives a manufacturing date and it's pretty safe to say that your player has been sitting on a shelf for a few months....so you have to know that a player you buy will more than likely not have the manufacturer's most recent software already loaded on it. I didn't think about this when I first bought my player but it makes sense to me now of course.
And if you have read other posts you may have seen one that says Samsung released their 3D players before they were ready to accept the many different 3D formats. (These are my words but you get my drift.)
So, to download the most current software, follow these steps:
1. TV and DVD player are turned on.
2. Set the input mode on your TV to your DVD player. You'll be using your player's remote control, not the TV's remote. (Unless you have it all programmed to one remote...in which case you are way more tech savvy than me and you probably do not need these instructions!)
3. Press the Tools button. Press the right arrow button to move over to Settings...then press Settings.
4. Move down arrow button to the Support option; press it.
5. Press Software Upgrade. It will prompt you as to which method you want to use to download software: online, usb, or disc.
I have wireless so I chose Online. You can use this option also if you have a cable connected.
If you want to use a USB thumb drive you will have to download the software from the Samsung website first.
I believe there is a link to it in an earlier post from someone. Your USB cannot have ANYTHING on it. It has to
be completely blank! Once you have the USB drive ready, chose that option and plug the drive into your player.
6. The download will occur....takes a little bit but not to long.
Tools -> Settings -> Support -> Software Upgrade