Brave - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 11-16-2012, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 144
So I watched this movie last night and thought the 3D was absolutely fantastic. I'm a bit biased because I have a scope setup, but the movie had so much depth and some nice but not gimmicky popout scenes. There is a lot of reference 3D stuff in this movie, so if you're a 3D fan, don't hesitate to pick this one up! Also, the sound was equally phenomenal. Just an all around A/V assault. Oh, and the movie is pretty good, too. wink.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-16-2012, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Yeah, an enjoyable story even if it isn't among Pixar's best and the 3D was quite good. I was left wondering just how much time was spent on the animation of her hair but since my player resolutely refuses to play the bonus disk I wasn't able to check out that portion. frown.gif
post #3 of 11 Old 11-22-2012, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I was unable to get 7.1 to work. Audio track 1 says 5.1 yet there is a 7.1 French track which worked, I don't speak French so I don't know why they would get a 7.1 and not English. I clicked on 7.1 English in the menu but it only used 5.1 when the movie loaded. Not sure what was going on there. After the movie I went back to the menu screen and selected 7.1 again and played the movie, again it was only seeing 5.1 and track 1 also indicated it was a 5.1 track. The audio was also very quiet. I had to crank it up a few more notches to get the sound level right.

The 3D was average, it was scope and I just don't think it looks right for 3D, it needs to be 1.78 for the right depth and more horizontal lines. You could zoom in but then the resolution drops.. I didn't notice any popout. There may have been some real quick popouts but nothing that stood out.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #4 of 11 Old 11-23-2012, 10:51 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Got the 7.1 problem fixed. My AVR was switched to A+B speakers and it worked when I switched it to A.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-26-2012, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 106
We we bought this movie a week or so again and went to play it Sat night and it wouldn't work. Or it played, but the 3D wouldn't work. It almost twitched or flashed oddly. I went into the 3D setup feature on the disc and it wouldn't work either. It almost seemed like one of my eyes was off by a frame or two.

I have about 15 3D titles and they work fine. I have a Samsung TV and BR player. I tried another movie and it was fine, and I also tried another HDMI cable (admittedly the same brand/age/etc.)

Any ideas? I'm not quite sure how to explain what the problem was. I'll keep digging on here too . . .
post #6 of 11 Old 11-28-2012, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 144
NIck,

Electronics can be finicky. Did you try and change the order in which you turn on your equipment? Try a different HDMI cable (one that's not the same brand, age, etc). Was there alcohol involved? If so, you may have put in the 2D disc. Just sayin'. But seriously, I have a Samsung BR player and it works fine for me.

post #7 of 11 Old 12-03-2012, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the advice wink.gif

I have the TV above my fireplace and put two HDMI's through the wall. So I did try the other one. I did not try to temporarily string another one up yet. I know it was the 3D disc, because it was choppy video, like when I tried to stream video on my 12 year old router.

I am going to update the firmware on the player if I can find the Wifi dongle. I may try to exchange the disc, because it can't be my fault that it's not working biggrin.gif
post #8 of 11 Old 12-17-2012, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry about the threadjackin' guys. Got the firmware updated on my BD player and got to watch last night.

We both thought the 3D was good. Not a lot of pop-out but good depth of picture. cool.gif
post #9 of 11 Old 12-18-2012, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I watched it on my active so I didn't like the 3D. I should have waited to watch it on my larger active. I hear the 3D is good though. The movie itself, even though the ending still got me and teared me up and I liked it. I just think a movie with a morale of a story of would you change your fate? Could have been told in a much more effective way.
post #10 of 11 Old 12-19-2012, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I had no interest in the tunes, but I like live action wildlife films, so I got Ice Age 4 out of curiosity smile.gif. The vibrancy of the colors jumped out the screen! So I became interested in this and other recent 3D tunes as well. Its 2.40 AR, and probably would not have bothered with Ice Age OR this if I hadn't realized that I can increase that letterbox to almost 55" fullscreen with minimal side cropping (I'll show the before and after shots once I figure out how to send pics here smile.gif). So my eyes can fully see the intended depth. So I am going back through 3Ds that were not must buys, that I may have passed on because of the AR. I may pick this up on Friday.

Forgot to mention, the picture isn't "stretched". My last TV, which I still have as the bedroom TV, is a 4:3 CRT HDTV, so I know what the stretch is. Klingon-like long forheads, and people gaining 5 inches in height and losing 50 pounds biggrin.gif. The blue ray player picture increase is a straight magnification leaving everything in proper proportion smile.gif.
post #11 of 11 Old 12-22-2012, 12:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Watched this tonite. As previously said not the greatest story but it is good. The picture is stellar and the 3D was good, immersive and non straining. Not really any pop out but that makes my eyes buggy. Soundtrack is very clear, detailed and dynamic. The bear fight scenes really gave my two sealed LMS Ultras a workout. We could feel the pressure waves from across the room. We enjoyed it.
Reply 3D Content

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page