post #271 of 563 Old 03-06-2014, 09:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostate View Post

I figured if PS3 can handle 1080p 3D blu-ray, it would have enough horsepower to handle lower bit rate 1080p Netflix 3D. How strange. confused.gif
But the PS3 can't handle a 3D BD and Dolby True HD audio at the same time. And more 3D BD titles with Dolby True HD are coming out than ever before.

There is no question that the PS3 has come a long ways with capabilites from when it was first released. But the PS3 is nowhere near the best device to use for 3D BD playback or 3D playback from the apps. Becasue of the Dolby TrueHD issue from 3D BDs and the 720P 3D limitation from the apps.

When I found out about the PS3 3D limitations at the end of 2012, I decided to go back to stand alone BD players after not buying any for several years. I was glad I did because the Sony BD player I got then was as fast or faster than the PS3, plus it didn't have any of the issues with 3D that the PS3 has. Now i've purchased several BD players since then and have been watching more physical discs than i ever did between 2009 and 2012 when i had mostly stopped watching physical discs.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 563 Old 03-06-2014, 12:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Most of the audio on 3DBD is DTS anyway. IMO, there were two properties about the PS3 that made it worthwhile having on the HT shelf-
1. It's never failed to play any new release BluRay while set top players were having their issues waiting for updates
2. They have the most 3D digital download content through aps of any IPTV device.

But in each category, such as You Tube, My WDTV app actually works better than the PS3.

To play some content, when the best device fails, the PS3 is my fail safe backup. Hasn't failed me yet.

When I play a 3DBD I use my OPPO.

When I want Netflix 3D it's the PS3. When I want Netflix HD or 2D the WDTV is faster.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don Landis
post #273 of 563 Old 03-06-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

But here is some good news.
This evening I went through every title in the 3D section and every one fired up and played with no buffering. After clicking on the Yes to play in 3D the title began playing immediately and with no stuttering. This is the first I have experienced this level of quality on Netflix 3D.

Good to know Don. This was during prime time? I have not been using Netflix lately because of the streaming issues. I have not used it since they struck the deal with Comcast either. I'll check it out soon to see if the streaming is better now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

But the PS3 can't handle a 3D BD and Dolby True HD audio at the same time.

What happens when you select the Dolby True HD soundtrack? Does it downgrade the sound to DD, or no sound is produced at all?

Go Phillies! Go Eagles! Go Sixers! Go Flyers!
post #274 of 563 Old 03-06-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

tingham- Yes, which is what really caught me by surprise. It was 8PM to midnight I watched different selections to check them out.

Hope yours is running properly too.

Every event like this just tells me Home 3D is continuing to grow and come of age so that it is just another standard. No end game, just more and more. I like that.

Don Landis
post #275 of 563 Old 03-06-2014, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Don. SO happy that you reported your findings and I can't wait to check my stream quality with Netflix now. I know you use Comcast as your service provider so hopefully my Comcast and Netflix service is working just as well as yours now.

I became increasingly frustrated streaming Netflix lately and just gave it a break for a while.

It's great to hear that Comcast and Netflix have addressed the problem. Hopefully streaming will be much better for all now, during prime time....smile.gif. I might get some time tonight to see if it has improved for me. I'll report back on my findings as well.

post #276 of 563 Old 03-06-2014, 08:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingham View Post

Thanks Don. SO happy that you reported your findings and I can't wait to check my stream quality with Netflix now. I know you use Comcast as your service provider so hopefully my Comcast and Netflix service is working just as well as yours now.

I became increasingly frustrated streaming Netflix lately and just gave it a break for a while.

It's great to hear that Comcast and Netflix have addressed the problem. Hopefully streaming will be much better for all now, during prime time....smile.gif. I might get some time tonight to see if it has improved for me. I'll report back on my findings as well.

Ditto! I'm just pleased I won't be needing to up my service $50 a month to the next Business tier to get reliable Netflix 3d either. My 20 Mbs is doing just fine now. smile.gif

Don Landis
post #277 of 563 Old 03-23-2014, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

I was told Croods is available in 3d on Netflix streaming........true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cla55clown View Post

Yep it's there...just checked. Can't get anything to stream without buffering and locking my player up but that's another matter. I'm glad though that new titles are appearing.

Well, that was a short run. I checked last night and The Croods are no longer available in 3D. On the other hand, Turbo is available in 3D. I wonder if its run will be as brief as The Croods.

It looks like Netflix isn't going to expand its 3D offerings. I get the feeling that Netflix is going to limit 3D to 40 or so count and just rotate titles in and out of that 40 count. rolleyes.gif

Wasn't there an article about Netflix not expanding 3D offerings a while back? I have a feeling that article was correct. frown.gif
post #278 of 563 Old 03-23-2014, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

Ditto! I'm just pleased I won't be needing to up my service $50 a month to the next Business tier to get reliable Netflix 3d either. My 20 Mbs is doing just fine now. smile.gif

The issue has never been our connection to ISPs, It was Netflix's connections to ISPs that was the problem. Increasing our speed wouldn't have helped.
post #279 of 563 Old 03-24-2014, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

The issue has never been our connection to ISPs, It was Netflix's connections to ISPs that was the problem. Increasing our speed wouldn't have helped.
This is getting to be a problem, the bandwidth of cable providers sucked up by people streaming Netflix content. The ISP providers want those like Netflix to pay them. They said that 1% of the users utilize 60% of the bandwidth now. Improving the infrastructure is quite expensive. They talk of doing like cell providers, limiting your data and charging for more. I could see that happening at some point.

Samsung ES8000 65", Evo Kit installed, Yamaha AVR with Paradigm speakers, iMac, iPad, Apple TV and HTC One phone.
post #280 of 563 Old 03-24-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebignewt View Post

This is getting to be a problem, the bandwidth of cable providers sucked up by people streaming Netflix content. The ISP providers want those like Netflix to pay them. They said that 1% of the users utilize 60% of the bandwidth now. Improving the infrastructure is quite expensive. They talk of doing like cell providers, limiting your data and charging for more. I could see that happening at some point.

I get what you are saying but ISP charging content providers like Netflix and charging its subscribers are two separate issues. Limiting data is already happening, I believe. Doesn't Comcast or TWC already cap monthly data usage; and charge extra over a certain set limit?

I believe that ISPs ultimately want to charge by usage like electric and other utility companies which, at least, seem fair but my issue is that ISPs don't want to be regulated like utilitiy companies. For example, open up their infrastructure to promote competition like how it's happening in the electricity industry. ISPs want to make guaranteed money like utilities but don't want to be treated like utilities which seem hypocritical to me.
post #281 of 563 Old 03-24-2014, 02:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Good to know Don. This was during prime time? I have not been using Netflix lately because of the streaming issues. I have not used it since they struck the deal with Comcast either. I'll check it out soon to see if the streaming is better now.
What happens when you select the Dolby True HD soundtrack? Does it downgrade the sound to DD, or no sound is produced at all?

It sends out DD.

post #282 of 563 Old 03-24-2014, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

It sends out DD.

Thanks aaronwt. Does it make a difference if you output bitstream or LPCM with the PS3. Are you seeing the same thing with both settings? Wish I had a 3D capable avr to check this out myself, but I do not.

I'm happy to report that my Netflix streaming has greatly improved as well since the Comcast/Neflix deal. The other night, "during prime time", I viewed a bunch of content (both 3D and 2D) and all streams were streaming at their best quality.

3D films streamed fine with no buffering. 2D films streamed at Super HD quality.

During the past few months I never would have achieved these results. I couldn't get 3D to stream without buffering constantly, and 2D streaming was a dismal 480P at best during "prime time". I'm so glad they have fixed the issue. I hope others who were having these problems see improvement as well.

post #283 of 563 Old 03-25-2014, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebignewt View Post

I get what you are saying but ISP charging content providers like Netflix and charging its subscribers are two separate issues. Limiting data is already happening, I believe. Doesn't Comcast or TWC already cap monthly data usage; and charge extra over a certain set limit?

I believe that ISPs ultimately want to charge by usage like electric and other utility companies which, at least, seem fair but my issue is that ISPs don't want to be regulated like utilitiy companies. For example, open up their infrastructure to promote competition like how it's happening in the electricity industry. ISPs want to make guaranteed money like utilities but don't want to be treated like utilities which seem hypocritical to me.

No. They want guaranteed money (my monthly bill) and they want money based on actual usage (my Netflix usage, despite my monthly bill). It's double dipping. They want to charge Netflix (and others) for traffic, then my monthly bill better go down to near 0 for internet.
post #284 of 563 Old 03-25-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhill View Post

No. They want guaranteed money (my monthly bill) and they want money based on actual usage (my Netflix usage, despite my monthly bill). It's double dipping. They want to charge Netflix (and others) for traffic, then my monthly bill better go down to near 0 for internet.

You are saying ISPs are charging twice for the same Netflix data, i.e., double dipping. But you are focusing just on Netflix data. I think this is a case of tree/forest.

ISPs charge its subscribers (us) not just for Netflix but Internet access in general. For the non-Netflix subscribers, the double-dipping does not apply.

On the other end, ISPs charge CDNs per data volume that goes through their infrastructure. The CDNs (e.g. Akamai, Limelight, etc) are multi-purpose. CDNs do not exclusively carry Netflix (except Netflix's Open Connect CDNs) so you can't say ISPs charge Netflix data specifically.

Also CDNs get a piece of pie too. ISPs charge CDNs and CDNs, in turn, charge the content providers like Netflix, who in turn, charge its subscribers.

Your general assertion of double dipping doesn't apply to non-Netflix users so it cannot be general. Think of ISPs as brokers who connect two parties together and gets a fee from both sides.
post #285 of 563 Old 03-25-2014, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Is there a list anywhere of what 3d is available from Netflix streaming? I'm considering getting a Sony S5100 primarily because I believe NF 3d is available on it. Thanks!

Ed
post #286 of 563 Old 03-25-2014, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
No I never said ISP are charging Netflix and other content providers, I said they WANT to. Because as streaming of movies increases their bandwidth will be stressed and (according to them of course) increasing the bandwidth capacity is expensive. I guess they could just cap a person's use and shut it off. Then you go to the video rental store for the rest of the month!

Samsung ES8000 65", Evo Kit installed, Yamaha AVR with Paradigm speakers, iMac, iPad, Apple TV and HTC One phone.
post #287 of 563 Old 03-25-2014, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post

Is there a list anywhere of what 3d is available from Netflix streaming? I'm considering getting a Sony S5100 primarily because I believe NF 3d is available on it. Thanks!

Ed

This has been asked before in this thread and apparently there is no list. I posted a list in this thread a while back and some movies that were on that list are still availible, but some are not, do a search. They seem to add and subtract movies at random in the 3D section of the app. I find it best to check there 1st. I don't know of a way to search for 3d movies yet, but maybe someone can chime in here that knows of a way to do it?

On another note, I watched "Turbo" last night with no issues. I liked this movie. It's a great title for the whole family to view. It had good 3d depth and some pop out. The DD+ sound was excellent on my HT.

The movie is kinda like "Cars" except the cars are snails..lol. I laughed alot, as it had good humor. Some humor might have been a little over very young children's heads, but maybe not, it depends.

I recommend it.

@Don Landis..your grandchildren would like this one.

post #288 of 563 Old 03-25-2014, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This has been asked before in this thread and apparently there is no list. I posted a list in this thread a while back and some movies that were on that list are still availible, but some are not, do a search. They seem to add and subtract movies at random in the 3D section of the app. I find it best to check there 1st. I don't know of a way to search for 3d movies yet, but maybe someone can chime in here that knows of a way to do it?

On another note, I watched "Turbo" last night with no issues. I liked this movie. It's a great title for the whole family to view. It had good 3d depth and some pop out. The DD+ sound was excellent on my HT.

The movie is kinda like "Cars" except the cars are snails..lol. I laughed alot, as it had good humor. Some humor might have been a little over very young children's heads, but maybe not, it depends.

I recommend it.

@Don Landis..your grandchildren would like this one.

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it. Trying to decide if I want to buy another 3d bluray player. My grandkids would probably like Turbo as well!wink.gif

Ed
post #289 of 563 Old 03-25-2014, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry2 View Post

Just got the Sony 5100 to replace my 590 just so I could get Netflix 3D. Tried 5 or 6 Netflix 3D titles so far. None of them will play for more than 10 seconds and the last one locked up the player. I'll give it a week or 2 and if no improvement I guess it's going back. Player is hardwired to the router and my download speed is 24mbps so that shouldn't be the problem. Super HD on Netflix works fine.

*After numerous attempts I finally got two 3D videos to play (Beowulf and Arabia). Everything else I've tried either won't finish loading, will only play a few seconds and hangs or starts to play then locks up the player to where I have to pull the power. Guess I'll just keep fooling with it (for a while) and see what happens.
If you are having the same problem with the Sony 5100 (or other model) please report it here http://community.sony.com/t5/Blu-Ray-Netflix-Online-Video/bd-p/blu-ray-netflix-network-internet Enough complaints and maybe they will do something.

I was ready to order a 5100 for Netflix 3D streaming but then found this (and the post after it).eek.gif Anyone KNOW if this has been rectified?

Thanks!

Ed
post #290 of 563 Old 03-25-2014, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was ready to order a 5100 for Netflix 3D streaming but then found this (and the post after it).eek.gif Anyone KNOW if this has been rectified?

Thanks!

Ed

Well I looked on the Sony site from the link given. Doesn't look like it. Guess I won't be ordering one!rolleyes.gif

Ed
post #291 of 563 Old 03-25-2014, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Well I looked on the Sony site from the link given. Doesn't look like it. Guess I won't be ordering one!rolleyes.gif

Ed
The titles that I can get to work play fine (like Turbo 3D). I found some of the problem 3D titles will also work IF I skip ahead about a minute after it loads then play it. I have 2 of the 5100's and they both do the same thing. Since I haven't seen a lot of complaints about it may be unique to a few units. If you order from Amazon you can always send it back if it gives you the problem.
post #292 of 563 Old 03-25-2014, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The titles that I can get to work play fine (like Turbo 3D). I found some of the problem 3D titles will also work IF I skip ahead about a minute after it loads then play it. I have 2 of the 5100's and they both do the same thing. Since I haven't seen a lot of complaints about it may be unique to a few units. If you order from Amazon you can always send it back if it gives you the problem.

Thanks for responding Terry. I think I'll pass on gambling on one until Sony solves the issue--IF they do. Don't know about "a few units" since both of yours have the problem. Please let me know if they happen to fix it.

Thanks!

Ed
post #293 of 563 Old 03-26-2014, 06:22 AM

Quote:

Thanks for responding Terry. I think I'll pass on gambling on one until Sony solves the issue--IF they do. Don't know about "a few units" since both of yours have the problem. Please let me know if they happen to fix it.

Thanks!

Ed
Sony released a new firmware for the 5100 overnight, version M15.R.0175. Maybe that will fix it. I'll let you know soon as I get it installed.
post #294 of 563 Old 03-26-2014, 06:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thanks!

Ed

I don't know that there was ever anything to rectify. Netflix 3D works on my S5100s. The only issues is whether you will get the 12Mbps(or somewhere around there) stream that is used for 3D. If you can't stream SuperHD which is 5800kbps and also a lower bitrate, you probably won't be able to stream the 3D encodes since their bitrate is much higher than the SuperHD bitrates.

post #295 of 563 Old 03-26-2014, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 38
It's always worked on my 5100 as well.
post #296 of 563 Old 03-26-2014, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the help guys. No problem here with speed, I average 35 down & 4.25 up. "Super" HD works fine via my Roku's. Hoping that Terry sees an improvement (or cure) with the new firmware!wink.gif

Ed
post #297 of 563 Old 03-26-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the help guys. No problem here with speed, I average 35 down & 4.25 up. "Super" HD works fine via my Roku's. Hoping that Terry sees an improvement (or cure) with the new firmware!wink.gif

Ed
I don't have a internet speed issue (24mbps down) and I only have the problem with certain 3D titles. The new firmware seems to have corrected the issue with some of them that would not play at all (they now play fine). I still have an issue with a couple of 3D titles that I have to advance about 45 seconds in before they will play (Turtles Tale: Sammy's Adventure being one of them). Could be an issue with something else in the chain (receiver or projector) that is causing a problem. Since some have no problem at all I wouldn't let the trouble I'm having stop you from getting the 5100. Works fine for everything else and the price is right.
post #298 of 563 Old 03-26-2014, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't have a internet speed issue (24mbps down) and I only have the problem with certain 3D titles. The new firmware seems to have corrected the issue with some of them that would not play at all (they now play fine). I still have an issue with a couple of 3D titles that I have to advance about 45 seconds in before they will play (Turtles Tale: Sammy's Adventure being one of them). Could be an issue with something else in the chain (receiver or projector) that is causing a problem. Since some have no problem at all I wouldn't let the trouble I'm having stop you from getting the 5100. Works fine for everything else and the price is right.

I weakened and ordered one from Amazon, should be here Friday. If it doesn't work properly streaming Netflix 3D I'll blame you, Aaron and Joed!wink.gifsmile.gif Then I'll send it back. I'll report back after I try it out, hopefully this weekend.

Thanks for talking me into this...........I think. LOL

Ed
post #299 of 563 Old 03-26-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:

I weakened and ordered one from Amazon, should be here Friday. If it doesn't work properly streaming Netflix 3D I'll blame you, Aaron and Joed!wink.gifsmile.gif Then I'll send it back. I'll report back after I try it out, hopefully this weekend.

Thanks for talking me into this...........I think. LOL

Ed
Glad I could help you spend some money.
post #300 of 563 Old 03-26-2014, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Glad I could help you spend some money.

Gee thanks!biggrin.gif We gotta do our part to help out the economy!

ED
Reply 3D Content

Tags
Netflix

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page