Forum Jump: 
 33Likes

post #361 of 628 Old 06-28-2014, 07:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Sounds right. I do recall some discussion that Netflix will "standardize" the app across all devices, and that commentary came from Hastings some time ago. I listen to all his quarterly conference calls, for both investment and hobby purpose. I did not know the details you mentioned. I rather forgot about it until your explanation. Currently, the app appearance between my devices is all different, and appears to use different groupings but only my WDTV box is new. It would be nice to have that one updated. I have Netflix apps on lots of my devices, from computers, game consoles, smart phones, and ipads.

Last evening I did check my 3D movies on the WDTV box and the descriptions only said In 3D if your device supports it and when played, it was still in 2D. Same when I checked the Vizio 3D TV. Only the PS3 I have plays in 3D. I also have an XBOX 360 and received an email recently from MS that Netflix, no longer requires XBOX GOLD membership to watch Netflix. I'll have to check that out. Maybe the XBOX 360 is 3D Netflix capable now. I don't have Gold so I should see what is going on now. I don't use the Xbox much except for the disk games my grandson loves to play.

Anyway, thanks for the details. What I see in this is hope for continued greater support for more 3D opportunity at lower prices per program. Today, we have plenty of selection and variety, but most are still expensive. Netflix and Redbox can be the game changer for lower cost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 628 Old 06-28-2014, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Just as an FYI, I can confirm than neither the 360 nor the Xbox One Netflix apps (or the PS4 app for that matter) currently have any 3D support. I own all the consoles and frequently check them.
post #363 of 628 Old 06-29-2014, 04:03 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post
Just as an FYI, I can confirm than neither the 360 nor the Xbox One Netflix apps (or the PS4 app for that matter) currently have any 3D support. I own all the consoles and frequently check them.
So Sony dropped 3D with their new game console? That's odd.
old corps likes this.
post #364 of 628 Old 06-29-2014, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp06011999 View Post
So Sony dropped 3D with their new game console? That's odd.
for 3d blu ray, yes, but some games are offered in 3d. Not really sure why it can do games, but not movies.
post #365 of 628 Old 06-29-2014, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post
you're not missing much, unless you like watching documentaries, which some are pretty good in terms of 3d. I wish Netflix would add more 3d content, but I can't remember the last time they added anything.
post #366 of 628 Old 06-29-2014, 09:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

teckademic-
It was in April with The Art of Flight, a Snowboarding action adventure doc. Good flic that was previously announced but never actually could be played until the properly encoded it.

Sony did claim that 3D support would be added to BluRay at a later date with a firmware update. They claimed this and other limitations were dropped to get the product to market for the holiday shopping season and to meet competition. The real question is whether this 3D support when added will be limited much like the PS3. My guess is there will just be a PS5 that offers full 4K in all video forms for games, downloadable 3D 4K content, and 3D BD(2K).

Thanks for the advisory on the XBOX 360. I wasn't holding my breath. I hardly use it but with the grandson getting into it now, maybe more use in the future. He loves the Kinect and Cars game. He is 5.
post #367 of 628 Old 06-29-2014, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckademic View Post
for 3d blu ray, yes, but some games are offered in 3d. Not really sure why it can do games, but not movies.
Sony is definitely downplaying 3D for the time being; even their demos of the Morpheus VR headset never mentioned 3D even though the device clearly supports it. 4K and those curved screens seem to be the sexy toys for the time being and I think Sony and the industry as a whole have been stung too often by all the "I hate 3D and wish it would go away" naysayers.

As for Netflix, there are plenty of 3D titles they could provide, probably at a modest licensing cost (I can't believe titles like Rise of the Guardians would be that expensive to present) but they too seem to have jumped on the 4K bandwagon and for better or worse that seems to be a higher priority going forward.
post #368 of 628 Old 06-30-2014, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 37
PS3 is the only device that I have that Netflix will play 3d on. I also had to go to the Netflix website and set my video streaming quality to maximum 3Gigs per hour.
The PS3 set 720P frame packing on my benq w1070.
Angelo Rules is a fun kids show in 3d. I searched '3d' in netflix but only a handful of titles came up. Is there a better way to find 3d content?
post #369 of 628 Old 07-01-2014, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia88 View Post
PS3 is the only device that I have that Netflix will play 3d on. I also had to go to the Netflix website and set my video streaming quality to maximum 3Gigs per hour.
The PS3 set 720P frame packing on my benq w1070.
Angelo Rules is a fun kids show in 3d. I searched '3d' in netflix but only a handful of titles came up. Is there a better way to find 3d content?
In my Netflix app I actually have a category by Netflix titled "3D" on my PS3. Do you not? I seem to recall that the category titles Netflix lists change sometimes. I set up two Netflix users on my account and they don't both have the exact same categories. A little irritating.
post #370 of 628 Old 07-02-2014, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 37
No 3d category but I think It's too late for me to set up another user category. I already have tons of because you watched category. It's fun to see Dexter next to My Little Pony. We finished the 5th and final available Angelo Rules ep. I would say that Netflix 3d works well enough. It's certainly cheaper than buying 3d Blurays.
post #371 of 628 Old 07-02-2014, 08:35 AM

I only had one user at first, but when the wife started asking me to put chick flicks in "my list" and it was getting too congested I then created a "chick flicks" user. Pretty awesome. No Michelle Pfeiffer or Julia Roberts movies clogging up my list. lol

Btw, last I checked only my user has the 3D category. And I recall when it did not because I had to search "3d". Like I said before, irritating - like how I still get, "Because you watched The Notebook...".
post #372 of 628 Old 07-03-2014, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Exclamation

So I just bought a brand new Sony Bravia 3d/4k television. 3D content in the Youtube app works great, but in the Netflix app, even the "Example Short XVI 3D" film (with a netflix logo for a cover) does not send my TV a 3D signal. I also tried a few known 3D movies with no luck. I should point out that my netflix app *does* have a 4K category right at the top of the list.

Very disappointing. Does anyone know if this is a simple matter of an app update, or am I permanently out of luck?
post #373 of 628 Old 07-03-2014, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Try to see if you have a 3D section on either the main screen or the browse screen; if you don't then I think the app for your TV does not support 3D at this time.

FWIW, Netflix 3D support on Sony items is quite spotty. The PS3 has it while the newer, more powerful PS4 does not, for example.
post #374 of 628 Old 07-04-2014, 08:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

TonyDP- It does appear to be true that the Netflix 3D support on Sony is "spotty" I recall early on when Netflix first announced the 3D and 4K plans, it did so at the Samsung booth at CES2013 Back then they were saying they had this partnership with Samsung to offer content in 4K and 3D. So, it's no surprise to see really good 3D Netflix Apps on the Samsung. Moving forward to the present day, it is being claimed that Netflix has now taken control of the apps but I haven't had time to research it beyond the self proclaimed "experts" into actual Netflix people. I hope it is true as it can simplify everybody having the same offerings.

It is indeed frustrating when your 3D TV has the 3D Netflix app and still doesn't play it as 3D. Let's hope this is some sort of bug that has to be worked out.

3D enthusiasts need to bombard Netflix with requests for 3D if we expect to improve the situation. It does work. I hit them with numerous requests to fix the Art In Flight title and they finally did. Also, I made numerous requests to resolve the Comcast - Netflix dispute on bandwidth throttling and they did.
post #375 of 628 Old 07-04-2014, 03:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked: 846
What was wrong with the Art In Flight title?

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #376 of 628 Old 07-05-2014, 01:22 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
Moving forward to the present day, it is being claimed that Netflix has now taken control of the apps but I haven't had time to research it beyond the self proclaimed "experts" into actual Netflix people. I hope it is true as it can simplify everybody having the same offerings.
To be fair, michaeltscott has never proclaimed himself as an expert. I deemed him as an expert. He is a software programmer which means he knows a heck of a lot more about apps than me and apparently you. If you have had read his posts, you would also recognize his expertise and knowledge and be not so condescending. I, for one, would place more weight on what he had to say than Netflix customer service rep.
post #377 of 628 Old 07-05-2014, 01:29 AM

Quote:
What I see in this is hope for continued greater support for more 3D opportunity at lower prices per program. Today, we have plenty of selection and variety, but most are still expensive. Netflix and Redbox can be the game changer for lower cost.
You do see 3D silver lining in every cloud even when the relevance is not there. You remind me of an Internet meme about the guy with crazy hair from the show Ancient Aliens where the guy answers "aliens" to every question, even when the question has nothing to do with aliens.
post #378 of 628 Old 07-05-2014, 10:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostate View Post
You do see 3D silver lining in every cloud even when the relevance is not there. You remind me of an Internet meme about the guy with crazy hair from the show Ancient Aliens where the guy answers "aliens" to every question, even when the question has nothing to do with aliens.
I don't know about the crazy hair connection, but I do agree with you, every time I see you chasing after me, I think, here comes my alien shadow again.
post #379 of 628 Old 07-05-2014, 10:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
What was wrong with the Art In Flight title?
It was one of the 3D titles that failed to play in the beginning of the Netflix collections after they opened 3D up to access. At first it would never go beyond buffering, then sometime in December 2013, it would just display a message that the title is not yet available. Once it was fixed, in end of March or April, it now plays perfectly here with no buffering on my Comcast / PS3.
I don't know the exact time it was fixed because I was traveling out of the country at the time. I believe it was the last one of the original titles to be fixed. I've watched this program several times. It is really a well done 3D documentary.
post #380 of 628 Old 07-05-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
I don't know about the crazy hair connection, but I do agree with you, every time I see you chasing after me, I think, here comes my alien shadow again.
Touché.
post #381 of 628 Old 07-11-2014, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My LG LB7100 supports 3D using the native netflix app. I just wish they had a larger selection.
post #382 of 628 Old 07-11-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ck0 View Post
My LG LB7100 supports 3D using the native netflix app. I just wish they had a larger selection.
The selection hasn't changed noticeably in a long, long time other than losing titles. Despite Don Landis' optimism, I fear the selection will continue to shrink slowly a bit by bit until it's no more. My hope is that a game changing display tech like glasses-free 3D TV will come along and reboot the interest in 3D. As of now, 3D is passé and the focus is currently on 4K resolution.
post #383 of 628 Old 07-12-2014, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 32
The 3D selection on Netflix right now is officially a joke. I looked at the list last night for the first time in over a month, and it's pretty clear the-powers-that-be have no interest in it at all. Like I said earlier, it seems like a window of opportunity for Amazon Streaming to step up and offer 3D for, well...everything.
Apostate and old corps like this.
post #384 of 628 Old 07-13-2014, 07:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

I agree that Amazon should offer more 3D. They already offer a few titles and I have seen them. I did a review on one and it was not complimentary. ALL the content they offer is very poor production quality and it is low resolution SBS. From a technical viewpoint, they are "years" behind Netflix 3D. From a content quality angle, the titles offered are really low end, low budget productions. Camera work is extremely sloppy, narration is like the on camera "talent" was on drugs or drunk. Even the editing was very poor. 3D was exaggerated in the extreme on the titles with lots of occlusions. I've seen much better cell phone shooting on You Tube. But it was worth the $1.99 rental fee to see what Amazon considers worthy of their name. The production I bought was a tour through Hollywood. Anyone who is praising Amazon's offerings while also slamming Netflix, must have a secret agenda to see 3D fail by these content providers. Either that you you haven't looked at either.

Are their any Netflix 3D offerings that are as bad as the Amazon offerings? I believe not! Not only do you not have to pay extra for Netflix 3D offerings, they offer 15 times as many, all in high quality frame packed, commercial productions. I agree you may be tired of the selection, and don't care for all the kids cartoon 3D animated stories. But, as of July, 2014 Netflix does offer the most 3D high quality content for a very low subscription price. It seems to me that the main complaint with Netflix is no longer the quality as of this past Spring they have fixed that with the ISP's. The complaint is no new content offerings. I agree with this last negative.

Presently, we have on-line streaming and downloaded 3D from several sources. In MY Opinion- In order of preference
1. The Best but also the most expensive is from Vudu offers advanced viewing on lots of titles, with near BluRay disk match.
2. Followed by Netflix also high quality in content and good selection of titles, but failing to offer new content since April.
3. Then 3Net or the Sony channel They also offer some free 3D games. But cost is high on new titles.
4. Then You Tube 3D, lots of variety; amateur productions, some good some bad, all free. Has the most content offering, enough to keep you busy viewing for months.
5. Amazon 3D I think only about 4 titles and these are just simply awful quality.
6. Wealth 3D- Fair image quality but this channel went $$ some time back and the 3D content is very limited to 8 titles I had it when it was free. For almost a year the titles give "error, try later" The website say they are no longer accepting applications. So even if you wanted to pay, they can't deliver.

There are a couple others ( like 3DGO) but the above is all I get and see so I have to limit my list to these five.
Audio Geek likes this.
post #385 of 628 Old 07-13-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Anyone who is praising Amazon's offerings...
Who's praising Amazon's offerings? I imagine most of us weren't even aware that Amazon offered 3D until you mentioned it. What ekaaaans is saying is that 3D is an opportunity for Amazon to take one over Netflix in a battle for streaming supremacy.
post #386 of 628 Old 07-13-2014, 01:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

"What ekaaaans is saying is that 3D is an opportunity for Amazon to take one over Netflix in a battle for streaming supremacy."

If opportunity is all we're suggesting, then lets say the same about Dish Network and any other video streaming service, itunes too. But since Amazon just introduced a 3D phone, it is logical they are looking at 3D content more seriously. Let's hope they do better quality than the attempt so far.
"I imagine most of us weren't even aware that Amazon offered 3D until you mentioned it."

Probably right! People here spend far too much time arguing about how all the 3D producers and suppliers are trying to kill 3D than they do watching what we have coming from them.
post #387 of 628 Old 07-13-2014, 04:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked: 846
Most things about that phone is old. I had a coworker with a3D android phone years ago. 720P, that was years ago. The Amazon phone has mostly outdated features and specs.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #388 of 628 Old 07-14-2014, 06:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

My comment wasn't meant to be about the phone quality, it was to show the mindset of the company regarding 3D and that they probably will add 3D content to the movie selection in streaming.
post #389 of 628 Old 07-14-2014, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekaaaans View Post
The 3D selection on Netflix right now is officially a joke. I looked at the list last night for the first time in over a month, and it's pretty clear the-powers-that-be have no interest in it at all. Like I said earlier, it seems like a window of opportunity for Amazon Streaming to step up and offer 3D for, well...everything.
I was actually surprised at how many 3D offerings there were in Netflix. Given that my current 3D source has been the limited HBO and Starz list, I was actually glad to see the number of films that I did.

HOWEVER, I did notice that the 3D movies had a stutter to them every handful of seconds. I was using the Netflix built into my TV: 2013 Sony R550A via FIOS. Where is the body buried in this I wonder:
  1. Is the Netflix app miscalculating the bandwidth necessary, or
  2. is the TV at fault, or
  3. is it a server-side issue in combination with not enough FIOS bandwidth?
I'm usually at 16/5 Mbps.

Send this to all your friends! When will this stupidity end? So hysterical: Vertical Video Syndrome --- a PSA.

Last edited by tgm1024; 07-14-2014 at 12:54 PM.
post #390 of 628 Old 07-14-2014, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostate View Post
Who's praising Amazon's offerings? I imagine most of us weren't even aware that Amazon offered 3D until you mentioned it. What ekaaaans is saying is that 3D is an opportunity for Amazon to take one over Netflix in a battle for streaming supremacy.
Exactly. Amazon would replace Netflix as my top choice for streaming movies if they offered 3D for movies that were released in 3D. It might even have the effect of motivating Netflix to do the same.
old corps likes this.
Reply 3D Content

Tags
Netflix