Forum Jump: 
 22Likes
post #451 of 563 Old 08-05-2014, 11:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 130
I'm sure that was back before the Feds understood pirated CD's. Good you got out when you did.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don Landis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 563 Old 08-05-2014, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
I'm sure that was back before the Feds understood pirated CD's. Good you got out when you did.
We knew enough to not sell pirated CDs. These were legit CDs. As resellers, there were probably licensing issues that we were blithely unaware of, though.
post #453 of 563 Old 08-05-2014, 04:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Just listened to Bob Iger ( Disney ) on the quarterly Earnings call. He made an interesting comment regarding Netflix.

He said Disney plans to continue to increase their content streaming delivery through Netflix because Netflix is giving Disney a fair offering for the content and as long as the relationship continues, they are very happy to use Netflix as another way to stream their content to Disney fans. There was no mention of Disney 3D offerings in the conference call.

This is good news for Netflix because there have been rumors, now put to rest by Iger, that Disney plans to compete with Netflix in offering yet another streaming service.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don Landis
post #454 of 563 Old 08-09-2014, 06:08 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Watched Beowulf 3D on Netflix tonight. Hadn't watched this since they fixed the buffering issues. Nice to see this all the way through flawlessly.

Also watched the short- Elephant's Dream ( the Netflix 3D demo ) Quickly noticed they rendered this bass ackwards. It has some fantastic 3D images in the animated work. Had to turn my glasses upside down to flip my left and right to view.

I still see the "3d section" on the home page is lacking many of the titles that are in 3D and on the server.
Is there a list somewhere of all the 3D titles Netflix has? I see 34 titles under their 3D list but there are more like Beowulf and The Hole.

Also what 3D Blu-ray players have the Netfilx 3D app? Works fine with my PS3 but, I want to buy a 3D Blu-ray for my 3D projector.
post #455 of 563 Old 08-09-2014, 07:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

RolandL, I've seen Art of Flight on and off the category as well. The person at Netflix who sets up these lists is not very accurate. So what I did some time ago is add every title to MY FAVORITES category and they don't move off until I move them off. This is not Recently Watched as that will update.

Probably the best resource for what players work for 3D Netflix is right here in this forum.

Don Landis
post #456 of 563 Old 08-09-2014, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandL View Post
Is there a list somewhere of all the 3D titles Netflix has? I see 34 titles under their 3D list but there are more like Beowulf and The Hole.

Also what 3D Blu-ray players have the Netfilx 3D app? Works fine with my PS3 but, I want to buy a 3D Blu-ray for my 3D projector.
I just bought the Sony BDP-s6200, that has a dual processor built in, and it works like a charm.
post #457 of 563 Old 08-09-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
RolandL, I've seen Art of Flight on and off the category as well. The person at Netflix who sets up these lists is not very accurate. So what I did some time ago is add every title to MY FAVORITES category and they don't move off until I move them off. This is not Recently Watched as that will update.

Probably the best resource for what players work for 3D Netflix is right here in this forum.
I'm also looking for multi-region 3D player that also can do Netflix 3d.

How about the Sony BDP-S5100, LG BP325 or LG BP530?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig and Spike View Post
I just bought the Sony BDP-s6200, that has a dual processor built in, and it works like a charm.
So the Sony BDP-S6200 is multi-region?
post #458 of 563 Old 08-09-2014, 08:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
So the Sony BDP-S6200 is multi-region?
And Netflix 3D too?

Dug through the reviews and found this answer to the Netflix 3D question:

Quote:
Yes, it does get Netflix in 3D (if your internet connection allows it). Myself and a friend bought this player and neither of us are having any problem viewing Netflix 3D (also gets super HD 5.1) Paradox answered on May 14, 2014
I may order one of these since I want another way to view Netflix 3D in higher res than 720p from my PS3. Hopefully Netflix will soon get it and increase priority on offering new 3D titles. I plan to badger them even more about this as time goes on. Lots of content, they just need to license it.

Don Landis

Last edited by Don Landis; 08-09-2014 at 09:11 AM.
post #459 of 563 Old 08-09-2014, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
And Netflix 3D too?
Its 3D and they do sell a multi-regional player as well.
post #460 of 563 Old 08-09-2014, 10:08 AM

I would think the Sony BDP-S5200 would also do Netflix 3D. The 6200 has DVD up conversion to 4K and SACD which I don't need.
post #461 of 563 Old 08-09-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

I just put the player in my Amazon wish list. How do I be sure the Amazon version is multi-region? That would be a nice additional feature to have as well since it appears I am now beginning to order some disks from China.

I might be adding the 4K projector sometime next year so that would be a desirable feature too. Main incentive for me is Netflix 3D in 1080p.

Don Landis
post #462 of 563 Old 08-09-2014, 10:29 AM

I think you would need to buy it modified for Blu-ray 3D all region by these guys
old corps likes this.
post #463 of 563 Old 08-09-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
I would think the Sony BDP-S5200 would also do Netflix 3D. The 6200 has DVD up conversion to 4K and SACD which I don't need.
Caveat emptor. I think some people have had problems with Netflix in recent Sony BD players.
post #464 of 563 Old 08-09-2014, 12:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Thanks. Doing a little more searching I found out it is done after market with a software tool. The machine by Sony is Region A for US BD From "these guys" seems to have no warrantee and I now question if once the hack has been added, what happens when you need an update by Sony. Will the hack prevent the update or will the Hack be removed with the update? This stuff keeps getting more and more complicated.

The reviews I read on this machine from Amazon seem to not have Netflix issues with this model. It's predecessor, rated it slow on start up. Biggest negative I read about it is you can't stack equipment on top. That's not an issue for me since I have individual shelves for each device. Plus, since the equipment cabinet has a closed glass door, I have a small low noise fan in the back to circulate air on each shelf.

Don Landis
post #465 of 563 Old 08-11-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post
Netflix service via Verizon has only gotten worse. Months ago, I could stream 1080p at just about anytime. Now...only at 2:30 - 3:00...AM! All other times, it's 480...or less!
Just the opposite here. Netflix on Verizon FiOS has been great here lately. 1080p any time of the day.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #466 of 563 Old 08-11-2014, 09:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostate View Post
Caveat emptor. I think some people have had problems with Netflix in recent Sony BD players.
Netflix has been working well in my S5100's and S6200's Sony players on FiOS. Super HD streams have only been taking 20 to 30 seconds to ramp up on those players.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #467 of 563 Old 08-11-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Netflix has been working well in my S5100's and S6200's Sony players on FiOS. Super HD streams have only been taking 20 to 30 seconds to ramp up on those players.
No lock-ups? I was thinking hard about getting S5100 just for Netflix 3D and then I read about S5100's locking up after using Netflix (which was surprising since my three Sony BD players have been without problems). And with Netflix 3D being stagnant, I figured it wasn't worth getting a whole new BD player for it after all.
post #468 of 563 Old 08-11-2014, 05:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

When you get ready, it would be better to go with the newer model the 6200. Did quite a bit of review reading on it and I think for now the one with the hack for region free BD might be a good option. Reviews say that it does not have the long load time the 5100 had and has that higher quality processor.

As for Netflix, I agree with you. I want to wait awhile to see when they begin adding more content. Just doesn't seem to have priority right now, but with all the growth in 3D lately, and growth at Netflix, I don't doubt it will be on their to do list. Attitude for a new Player should be the region free advantage that has potential for Netflix 3D. The UHD 4K ability is not so important since 4K BD doesn't even seem to be on the radar scope yet.* I'm just happy to know this exists and I can get on it if I get motivated. Thanks to the people here for bringing this model to my attention.

* I would not be surprised if Sony doesn't make announcement on this at CES2015.

And speaking of CES- If anyone has thoughts of attending, you need to register before the end of the month to get in free. I'm now registered and have hotel booked.

Don Landis

Last edited by Don Landis; 08-11-2014 at 05:06 PM.
post #469 of 563 Old 08-12-2014, 08:08 AM

Yes, stick with S6200. S5200 also seem to have the same lock-up problem as S5100 per thread in BD player forum. Perhaps the extra processor in S6200 is the difference.
old corps likes this.
post #470 of 563 Old 08-15-2014, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

OK.. Million Dollar question for you guys..
When I first starting watching 3D movies on Netflix, with my PS3... I noticed the CROODS in 3d, as well as Beowolf and some others movies, like the DON...
Now when I go back those movies do not show up as 3D selections anymore... WHY is that?
post #471 of 563 Old 08-16-2014, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenderson View Post
OK.. Million Dollar question for you guys..
When I first starting watching 3D movies on Netflix, with my PS3... I noticed the CROODS in 3d, as well as Beowolf and some others movies, like the DON...
Now when I go back those movies do not show up as 3D selections anymore... WHY is that?
It's due to Netflix's very spotty 3D support and a general laziness on their part in maintaining an accurate 3D list.

Certain films like The Croods (and Turbo) were available in 3D when first released, then quickly pulled within a few days. No reason was given and only the 2D versions are currently available.

Others, like Beowulf, are still available in 3D but do not appear on the 3D list. If you search for the film and check its specs however, you'll see that the 3D logo is still there.

Bottom line is that Netflix has really marginalized 3D on its streaming service and on a corporate level it does not seem to be a priority for them going forward. I hope that attitude will change though I have seen nothing to make me think it will.
post #472 of 563 Old 08-16-2014, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
They just released the BDP-S7200. I haven't looked at it enough to know how it compares to the S6200. I was just asking someone in another forum what the benefit is of owning one of these players if you already own a 4K TV and a FMP-X10 4K media player? It seems like every component now comes with some sort of streaming app that when you want to watch a movie, it's just a matter or which device should I stream it from? When Dish Network bought Blockbuster years ago, only because Blockbuster had an arrangement to get every movie 30 days before the official release on DVD, and then pursued to shut down every Blockbuster to sell all the real estate they own, was an indication of where things are headed. I used to watch movies on Blu-ray every week when Blockbuster was open because I had one of those monthly memberships where I could rent as many movies as I want, but over the last year, I've probably watched 3 movies on Blu-ray. Everything is moving towards streaming now. And regarding 3D, Disney is the one who really made a big push for 3D content 4 or 5 years ago because the technology has evolved so much better, but now, they're starting to pull back from 3D content. Maleficent isn't even available in 3D in the US. The day will come where 3D content is not produced anymore, but your AV equipment will have the ability to convert anything into 3D.
post #473 of 563 Old 08-16-2014, 09:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Everyone keeps repeating the same FUD regarding Disney and 3D which is a complete fabricated lie if you listen and understand what the company's strategic roll out plan is. I can only assume most people love to wander in the FUD rather than try to learn what the truth is. Anyway, I'm tired of trying to fight ignorance on this issue. Enjoy being ignorant!

As for the Netflix 3D category, it is true that they are not doing much right now and have not paid much attention to the selection. When the programming director at Netflix made a statement that Netflix was going to kill the 3D since nobody likes it, the fact is he made that statement right before the genre was rolled out to the ISP's direct. So, it hadn't even seen the light of day. he retracted the statement later when questioned. Regardless of an employee's comment, the company has indeed been focusing on other matters to make the company number 1 player in streaming, to include original programming, and more international operations, two moves that have allowed the company to end it's cash drain and become profitable. I don't feel Netflix will dump 3D, but the genre will not be on their top priority list until they get to see huge numbers of customers asking for it and they see competitors taking subscriber share based on their better 3D offerings.

I also believe that as more and more movies are offered in 3D in the theaters, the studios will eventually loosen up their licensing fees for the 3D version so that companies, like Amazon, and Netflix and even HBO and starz will be able to justify them in the subscription prices. I think what I am seeing in theatrical previews now with those billboards stating available in "Real 3D and Imax 3D" as a sign we are now in an era of the 3D birth boom. As the babies grow up, not only will the Blu Ray 3D be offered sooner, but also these getting licensed for streaming at a decent fee per view or buy and download.
cajieboy likes this.

Don Landis
post #474 of 563 Old 08-16-2014, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I still think 4K will eventually kick the the 3D doors wide open. We'll see...
post #475 of 563 Old 08-16-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Everyone keeps repeating the same FUD regarding Disney and 3D which is a complete fabricated lie if you listen and understand what the company's strategic roll out plan is. I can only assume most people love to wander in the FUD rather than try to learn what the truth is. Anyway, I'm tired of trying to fight ignorance on this issue. Enjoy being ignorant!

As for the Netflix 3D category, it is true that they are not doing much right now and have not paid much attention to the selection. When the programming director at Netflix made a statement that Netflix was going to kill the 3D since nobody likes it, the fact is he made that statement right before the genre was rolled out to the ISP's direct. So, it hadn't even seen the light of day. he retracted the statement later when questioned. Regardless of an employee's comment, the company has indeed been focusing on other matters to make the company number 1 player in streaming, to include original programming, and more international operations, two moves that have allowed the company to end it's cash drain and become profitable. I don't feel Netflix will dump 3D, but the genre will not be on their top priority list until they get to see huge numbers of customers asking for it and they see competitors taking subscriber share based on their better 3D offerings.

I also believe that as more and more movies are offered in 3D in the theaters, the studios will eventually loosen up their licensing fees for the 3D version so that companies, like Amazon, and Netflix and even HBO and starz will be able to justify them in the subscription prices. I think what I am seeing in theatrical previews now with those billboards stating available in "Real 3D and Imax 3D" as a sign we are now in an era of the 3D birth boom. As the babies grow up, not only will the Blu Ray 3D be offered sooner, but also these getting licensed for streaming at a decent fee per view or buy and download.
I know more about Disney than you ever will. I bought 1.5 million shares in my hedge fund the day the market opened after 9/11. Sid Richardson, at the time the single largest shareholder, got thrown into a margin call, net meeting Reg T requirements, and his Disney shares started to automatically liquidate $3 a share for each $1 he owed, until he met the minimum equity requirements. I got to pick it up at $14 while this was happening. Afterwards, looking more into the company's financials, decided it was worth more, but dumped it about a year ago. Iger is going to tell you exactly what you want to hear on the earnings call, but you have to do your own research because the numbers don't lie, management does. Yes, they bought Lucasfilm, known for their Star Wars franchise, in 2012 for $4 billion cash & stock, bought Marvel Entertainment, who owns over 5000 comic book characters, in 2009 for $4 billion in cash & stock, bought Pixar, Apple's CGI animation studio, in 2006 for $7.4 billion in cash & stock, bought Playdom, an online social gaming platform, in 2010 for $763 million and Tapulous, a developer of mobile games and apps, for an undisclosed sum, Club Penguin, a kids-oriented social networking site, in 2007 for $700 million. In 2010, they sold Miramax, they've also sold 22 radio stations plus the ABC radio network. In 2008, they agreed to release 10 new animated films from Disney/Pixar between 2008 and 2012. This was a HUGE decrease from 10 live action/animated films plus 2-3 Touchstone titles annually. They signed an agreement with Stephen Spielberg to distribute about 6 films a year through DreamWorks Studios in 2010. They're focusing a lot on their theme parks and resorts. One in Hawaii, opened in 2011, significantly expanded Disney World's Fantasyland, 3 new themed areas, including Toy Story Land, in Hong Kong Disneyland, 2 new cruise ships Dream & Fantasy, Cars Land in Disneyland's California Adventure, and a brand new theme park in Shanghai, set to open in 2016. Comcast's NBCU made A&E network, owned by Disney and Hearst, buy a 15.8% stake in NBCU under a contract that was negotiated in 2012. They're investing a lot less in movies than they used to, and regarding 3D content, that's being slowly fazed out. It started off with a big push from them, but they haven't seen the returns that were expected and they're starting to focus more on 4K content with the movie studios and TV network that they still own. ESPN, a Disney owned network, has already announced that they're shutting down their 3D station that's been available through DIRECTV for years.

So, before calling someone ignorant, you better look in the mirror. It's people like you who make decisions based on misinformation or based off emotion which creates opportunities for people like me. So, the next time you sell a stock at a loss, think about the person on the other side of that trade who made money. Keep believing every word you hear. Do you really think the management of a company is going to talk negative. We have a rule at my fund, whenever we visit a company and talk to the CEO, CFO, etc, we can't make a decision to buy or sell that company within the next 48 hours. They're always going to try and pump you up so you'll make an emotional, irrational decision.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Last edited by rolldog; 08-16-2014 at 01:11 PM.
post #476 of 563 Old 08-16-2014, 01:29 PM

Oh yea, Vizio, the #1 television maker in the world, just announced that they're no longer making 3D TVs. What you're going to see is a ramp up in 4K, and then glasses free 3D.
post #477 of 563 Old 08-16-2014, 03:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I know more about Disney than you ever will. I bought 1.5 million shares in my hedge fund the day the market opened after 9/11... blah blah ...It's people like you who make decisions based on misinformation or based off emotion which creates opportunities for people like me.
So what do you expect me to do, bow down and wash your feet?

Don Landis
post #478 of 563 Old 08-16-2014, 04:45 PM

No, just get you facts straight before spreading them around like you know everything. I really wish everyone would spend more time on 3D, seeing that I have 2 3D TVs, and a 3D projector, all of which need different glasses to watch 3D content on. Back when I bought my projector, it was one of the deciding factors for me buying it, so we're all on the same page about manufacturers working on a standard regarding 3D content and we wish more was available. I think it was Sharp, who just released a glasses free 3D TV. I'm kinda curious to see how it looks. I remember as a kid loving 3D, wearing my glasses with 1 red lens and 1 blue lens. I thought it was cool. When 3D started making a comeback, I was excited. I took my daughters to wstvh a 3D movie snd then I noticed the change when they have me glasses with clear lenses. I thought, Real 3D helped bring 3D to a level where it's enjoyable again. Every time I took my daughters to a movie, I would see if one was being played in 3D, but you know what? My girls don't care for it like I did when I was their age. I'm not sure if it's because of the competing technology or what. If you think back to the original Jaws in 3D, what other kinds of technology was out back then? A Walkman? Today, it's 3D again, but competing with all sorts of other technology. I don't even remember ìf we had cable or not back when we used the red & blue glasses. But the first 3D TV I bought was passive, and it worked with the same glasses as they give you in the movie theater. I have a ton of them. I bought my 3D Blu Ray player and a handful of DVDS and watched them over and over again. The second 3D piece of equipment I bought is my 300" 1080P projector which works with the DLP Link 3D glasses and the active shutter RF 3D glasses, so I bought both. I didn't know which was going to look better. Well, the active shutter RF glasses on this projector running 1080P is incredible. One thing you notice after you've thought about it, in a movie theater, they don't need to worry about line of sight or anything like that because everyone sits right in front of the screen. Well, these active shutter RF glasses aren't the cheapest in the world, and I actually took it another step and bought some by a company who writes their own firmware for the glasses and they're supposed to be the best out there. They're called Monster Vision Max 3D and are supposed to work with all 3D TVs, but I've only used then with my projector. These active shutter 3D glasses produce the best 3D content I've ever seen. Then about 3 weeks ago, I bought a 4K TV, which is also 3D, but come with glasses different than my other TV & projector. The TV also has a feature called simulated 3D. It converts any picture on the TV to 3D. Right now I'm playing my Xbox One on my new TV and I have it set for simulated 3D, which ĺooks pretty good. Not as good as the active shutter but it's the coolness to be able to change anything on the TV into 3D. It also allows you to brighten, or darken, the image through the glasses and set the depth of the 3D. I also bought a new lens for my camera, which allows me to take pictures and record video in 3D. I think it's the only consumer grade csmera/lens in the world that does this. So I, as much as everyone else, would really like to see 3D take off. When movies are filmed, they can either be filmed in a regular format and then converted to a 3D format, just like 4K content. I don't know if this site is legit because I just ran across it today, but it's http://realorfake3d.com, and it lists movies and tells you which ones were shot using a 3D camera or if it was converted. It lists Jurassic World as being filmed and then converted, but I can find out for sure on Monday since I live in Louisiana and a good friend of mine owns the largest movie studio in the State, and this is where most of it was filmed. About 5 weeks ago, I decided to film a scene in Pitch Perfect 2, directed by Elizabeth Banks, and they were using 5 4K cameras for this one particular scene.
post #479 of 563 Old 08-16-2014, 04:46 PM

That was LONG.....
post #480 of 563 Old 08-16-2014, 07:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Suggestion- after you write- go back and read through and then simply separate your long paragraph into shorter ones as the topics change. It would make following you easier.

I have no doubt you are a 3D enthusiast, but we don't need to know so many details.

The issue of whether 3D stereo is fake or real is a debatable subject and I prefer to say was it shot with 3D cameras, OR was shot with 2D and/or reference camera and then converted in post to a stereo production.

Quote:
If you only have one-eye's worth of content, you can't just make up the content for the second eye.
(From your link) and I disagree with this because it is possible to create the depth map using mathematical analysis. But this only produces stereoscopic 3D. It is true you can't produce 360° Holography using a single camera. People who believe stereographic imaging can't be calculated, simpl;y don't understand the math of 3D geometry. Not surprising because many "experts" who write but can't do flunked math beyond Algebra 1 in high school.

Here is how I see this technology-

Shot with 3D cameras- done with the best technology uses two 2D cameras in a twin system either side by side or over/through. Using this the DP can optimize the 3D to each scene. Using twin imaging in a single camera such as an IMAX rig, forces the production to be compromised using one camera setting for all scenes.
But, many believe as long as the film is shot in 3D the 3D is real, not fake.

Post conversion 3D- Done with the lowest level of technology uses a real time conversion like we have in our TV's up to the Teranex by Black Magic, considered to be the best at this level. The best will take the a 2D scene and take apart each object in the scene, separate it and manually create a depth map for the object. Then it is rendered out as full resolution left and right eye for maximum image quality, tested and then tweaked to remove problems such as occlusion, diverging images, and ghosting. This process is very precise and also involved many man hours. The unfortunate part of this process is that it is often compromised by the bean counters who limit the degree of accuracy.

Conclusion, neither is fake or real 3D. Both are real 3D. But the most accurate is one that can precisely construct the 3D image that is not flawed with defects. This is why most, maybe all, animated movies are considered the most perfect stereo movies. There is no comparing with reality. In real life movies there is always the debate of reality or warped reality. For this, anytime I shrink the real world size to a TV screen size or make real life bigger as in a head shot on an IMAX screen the movie is distorted reality.

If the movie is well done, I don't care if it was post converted or not.

That's enough for now.

Don Landis
Reply 3D Content

Tags
Netflix

User Tag List