post #511 of 628 Old 08-19-2014, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
phenderson- here's what I have for 3D:

YouTube, Vudu, and Sony channel ( PS3). Amazon started to carry a couple titles but those are awful (IMO)

3D-Blurayrental.com Is about the best 3D disk rental service we have. For regular 2D I use Redbox.
DIRECTV still broadcasts 2 or 3 3D channels. I haven't looked in a while. I know they pulled ESPN though and will start broadcasting 4K channels in a year or so. By then, 4K TVS will cost half of what they do now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 628 Old 08-20-2014, 07:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 171
rolldog- friend said they just pulled 3Net off. ESPN 3D went dark a year ago. But that was an ESPN decision, claiming not enough budget. From what I hear, ESPN is not doing well all the way around. One of Disney's few losers. ABC being another. Glad the theme parks, movies and cruise ships are doing well. I'm taking the family, 8 of us, on Disney Dream in November.
post #513 of 628 Old 08-20-2014, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 13
That's cool. The ships will probably stop at Castaway Key, the islands they bought in the Bahamas, also where the pirate ship from Pirates of the Caribbean is parked.

I just got back from a week at Disney World with my two daughters. I spent about $10,000 on that trip and felt like I needed a relaxing vacation after that vacation.
post #514 of 628 Old 08-20-2014, 01:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Yes, the Castaway Key is a full day and we're all looking forward to it. I think my two grand kids will love it. We already bought them pirate suits for the party's. Wife and I have yet to buy our costumes. I go to Disney World about 3-4 times a year. Its just a couple hour's drive for us. Back when tickets were just $40 a day, I bought two of the 10 day lifetime passes. I still have 12 days left on those. Still, the food is expensive in the parks. Sometimes in Florida we get deals that put a day price at $45 so when I can I use those instead of my lifetime passes.
post #515 of 628 Old 09-03-2014, 01:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Another new 3D video is added to the Netflix 3D collection.

RedBull: Cubed Pipe It's a typical Red Bull documentary about some really radical snow skiing.

I'm really enjoying rewatching many of the Netflix 3D collection with my new Sony 6200 player. The Netflix videos are in much higher resolution and detail at 1080 24P frame packed. Unlike my PS3 that was limited to 720P the new player displays the Netflix content with a look that matches the Blu Ray counterpart, comparing Flight 3D that I also have the disk.

I wish to thank Netflix for answering my request to keep adding these rare titles to it's 3D collection.
post #516 of 628 Old 09-03-2014, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
I wish to thank Netflix for answering my request to keep adding these rare titles to it's 3D collection.
I didn't realize you had a dry, ironic sense of humor.
post #517 of 628 Old 09-03-2014, 05:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostate View Post
I didn't realize you had a dry, ironic sense of humor.
post #518 of 628 Old 09-04-2014, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 65
So I fired up Netflix today and the count of titles in the 3D section was down to 25. Now I know that isn't a 100% accurate sample and that there are a few more titles sprinkled in here and there but enough is enough. I am past hoping Netflix will ever have even mediocre 3D support and have decided to pull the plug. The low interest I have in their non-3D offerings made cancelling the service that much easier.
post #519 of 628 Old 09-05-2014, 08:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
The low interest I have in their non-3D offerings made cancelling the service that much easier.
Sorry to see you leave the service. I hope you left an exit message that you cancelled because of their lack of 3D content. I'm not that strapped for money that $7.99 a month makes a big difference, but then I do use the 2D service daily. Netflix, right now is the only place I know to get the Red Bull 3D content. It appears that Netflix has an agreement with Red Bull to present that. But, I do appreciate, not everyone likes extreme sports.

I kinda feel the same way about Hulu+. I tried it for a couple months and other than a test view, have not found anything at all to watch of interest. Either I have it on other platforms or Hulu+ doesn't allow me to see it because I lack other qualifiers.
post #520 of 628 Old 09-05-2014, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked: 967
Quote:
Sorry to see you leave the service. I hope you left an exit message that you cancelled because of their lack of 3D content. I'm not that strapped for money that $7.99 a month makes a big difference, but then I do use the 2D service daily. Netflix, right now is the only place I know to get the Red Bull 3D content. It appears that Netflix has an agreement with Red Bull to present that. But, I do appreciate, not everyone likes extreme sports.

I kinda feel the same way about Hulu+. I tried it for a couple months and other than a test view, have not found anything at all to watch of interest. Either I have it on other platforms or Hulu+ doesn't allow me to see it because I lack other qualifiers.
Red Box? Or which RedBull?

Send this to all your friends! When will this stupidity end? So hysterical: Vertical Video Syndrome --- a PSA.
post #521 of 628 Old 09-05-2014, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
How can you find the 3D section on Netflix? When I put in 3D on search I get about 8 videos, mostly cartoons.
post #522 of 628 Old 09-05-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX1992 View Post
How can you find the 3D section on Netflix? When I put in 3D on search I get about 8 videos, mostly cartoons.
You need a device that support 3D Netflix (PS3 or model year 2013 or newer 3D Blu-ray players) and a 3D TV. 3D section should pop up automatically. FYI, older 3D Blu-ray players most likely will not support 3D Netflix.
cajieboy likes this.
post #523 of 628 Old 09-05-2014, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 3d ps3 and a sony 70" 3d tv and still cannot find any kind of "3d section". I can watch 3d movies if I search 3d, then I am given a list to choose from because it is in the title, but am I missing a 3d section? Because all I get is "because you watched every Barney movie known to existence..."
post #524 of 628 Old 09-05-2014, 01:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
Red Box? Or which RedBull?
Most people are aware of Red Bull high energy beverage. Few are aware that this company also has a Video Production division that produces and sponsors Extreme Sports activities and contests and many are done in 3D stereography. I believe Red Box rental service is considered a direct competitor to Netflix.

The 3D Extreme Sports programs seem to come and go like other 2D streaming movies. Catch them when they are available. This past Summer offered us two new ones from Red Bull: Minor Threat and Cubed Pipe. Personally, I liked Minor Threat better but for anyone interested in Extreme Sports, both are good to watch as well as excellent 3D quality. I saw Cubed Pipe in the 3D section first but also noticed Minor Threat had been pulled off, However, it is still available on the server if you search for it with Red Bull: Minor Threat and select 3D ( as Apostate said, your equipment has to be Netflix 3D friendly.)
post #525 of 628 Old 09-05-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insideandout View Post
I have a 3d ps3 and a sony 70" 3d tv and still cannot find any kind of "3d section". I can watch 3d movies if I search 3d, then I am given a list to choose from because it is in the title, but am I missing a 3d section? Because all I get is "because you watched every Barney movie known to existence..."
Have you updated the Netflix app in PS3? On my PS3, I have to scroll down a bit but there is 3D section.
post #526 of 628 Old 09-05-2014, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did not leave an exit message as I did not see a link after a cursory perusal of their website. If you can provide a link, I'll be happy to do so.

I happen to have a pretty extensive video library so I already own most of the movies and TV shows Netflix offers that would appeal to me; 3D was the hook that got me to try the service and they completely dropped the ball. Add to that the fact that I recently signed up for Amazon Prime and Netflix quickly became pretty superfluous.
post #527 of 628 Old 09-06-2014, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

BTW, just last night we rented Madagascar 2 (2D) from Amazon Prime. I feel the need to repeat this guys: the quality from AP really does seem much higher than Netflix. It would be tough to manage an accurate side-by-side test, but I was walking up to the screen convinced it was equal to blu-ray. This was via the Amazon Prime App on my TV (60R550A).

Anyone know the specs they use? Does anyone else get the same sense of comparative quality I'm perceiving?

Send this to all your friends! When will this stupidity end? So hysterical: Vertical Video Syndrome --- a PSA.
post #528 of 628 Old 09-06-2014, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostate View Post
You need a device that support 3D Netflix (PS3 or model year 2013 or newer 3D Blu-ray players) and a 3D TV. 3D section should pop up automatically. FYI, older 3D Blu-ray players most likely will not support 3D Netflix.
Of course I have a 3D TV (84" 4K LG) and a PS3 and I used 3D in search. But I finally figured it out that you have to scroll down many sections (I did not notice the headings before) to finally reach the 27 videos in the 3D section. Thanks now I have to watch every video.
post #529 of 628 Old 09-06-2014, 03:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX1992 View Post
Of course I have a 3D TV (84" 4K LG) and a PS3 and I used 3D in search. But I finally figured it out that you have to scroll down many sections (I did not notice the headings before) to finally reach the 27 videos in the 3D section. Thanks now I have to watch every video.
It's a shame you have such a nice 3D TV and limit it with the PS3 3D output. You should check out the Sony BDPS 6200. The construction looks cheap compared to an OPPO but the image quality and the compliment of extras and aps is quite nice. The Netflix app plays at the full HDTV bitrate from Netflix and 1080 p 24fps x 1920. I have the PS3 also and compared to it the 6200 offers a stunning picture.

The Netflix ap must list the categories by your usage. It's no surprise, my 3D category is at the top of the long list. But that doesn't mean it is complete. I still have to scroll down to my favorites, viewed before to see some of those titles that are no longer in the 3D collection.

Last edited by Don Landis; 09-06-2014 at 08:53 PM.
post #530 of 628 Old 09-06-2014, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
It's a shame you have such a nice 3D TV and limit it with the PS3 3D output. You should check out the Sony BDPS 6200. The construction looks cheap compared to an OPPO but the image quality and the compliment of extras and aps is quite nice. The Netflix app plays at the full HDTV bitrate from Netflix and 1080 p 34fps x 1920.
Be aware that if you have on older receiver, the 6200 only has one HDMI output...which means no Dolby Plus audio. I have the 790 (mfgr date 2013 on my unit) which was Sony's "flagship" player (yeah, right). It has the 2 HDMI outputs but Sony will not apply the firmware update to allow for 3D via Netflix. Also, Sony has a habit of REMOVING services (including ALL 3D apps to date) and giving us...nothing (as I noted with 3D).

One might be better off looking at Panasonic or LG players (not sure which models have 3D NF...NF 3D-capable devices are still a big secret) as you are less likely to get screwed over by them. In my experience, both companies have better product support than Sony.

post #531 of 628 Old 09-06-2014, 09:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Sony has a habit of REMOVING services...
Haven't experienced that with any of that with the 6200 Sony yet but life's short. I have experienced that with Vizio, Panasonic, Samsung, and OPPO. I think that may have to do more with the service or licensing than the hardware maker. When it comes to apps, I have had similar complaints with Android apps on my Sony Smartwatch2, too. Told I need to do an update and the update removes features. At least with Oppo, when they were planning to do the removal of an app, the CEO of the company gave me a heads up on it so I had time to isolate the player from the internet. They were threatened by the BD association to remove a feature. Obviously, you can't do that for a streaming service app.

As for the receiver, I feel if you are into 3D seriously, then your goal should be to use equipment that fully supports the format. Updating is expensive but one needs to justify the cost if serious about the format. I remember when I made the upgrade to 3D it included a new AVR, projector, and Blu Ray 3D player. You can put up with work arounds and hacks but for entertainment center or home theater, that gets old. I had the work around when I began to use HDMI for video with an older AVR but it got too awkward when I went to 3D. Time to bite the bullet have things handshake properly. Like having a home theater with 15 different remote controls on the table. Does anyone still do that who is serious about the hobby? My daughter has 4 remotes and it drives me nuts when I go to her house. There is always one missing, usually found between the couch cushions of in the kid's toy box.
post #532 of 628 Old 09-07-2014, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It's a shame you have such a nice 3D TV and limit it with the PS3 3D output. You should check out the Sony BDPS 6200. The construction looks cheap compared to an OPPO but the image quality and the compliment of extras and aps is quite nice. The Netflix app plays at the full HDTV bitrate from Netflix and 1080 p 24fps x 1920. I have the PS3 also and compared to it the 6200 offers a stunning picture.

The Netflix ap must list the categories by your usage. It's no surprise, my 3D category is at the top of the long list. But that doesn't mean it is complete. I still have to scroll down to my favorites, viewed before to see some of those titles that are no longer in the 3D collection.
Don I also have the Oppo 103D that I use for 3D movies. I have a disc subscription to Netflix and recently got 30 day free trial for streaming so I am not that familiar with it. Just now I tried using the Netflix app on the Oppo but could not scroll down to a 3D section (maybe because I had not watched a 3D video through Netflix). Then I tried 3D in search and found the 9 items but none would play in 3D. Help?
post #533 of 628 Old 09-07-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:

As for the receiver, I feel if you are into 3D seriously, then your goal should be to use equipment that fully supports the format. Updating is expensive but one needs to justify the cost if serious about the format. I remember when I made the upgrade to 3D it included a new AVR, projector, and Blu Ray 3D player. You can put up with work arounds and hacks but for entertainment center or home theater, that gets old.
That's all well and good if you have unlimited funds! But buying a new receiver now means I'd have to then buy yet ANOTHER new receiver next year to get Dolby Atmos. And then ANOTHER new receiver that could accomodate the upcoming 4K BD playes next year. Buying 3 new receivers in the next 2.5 years is ludicrous for most people...unless they've won the lottery!

post #534 of 628 Old 09-07-2014, 09:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

NSX1992-

I can't help you with your Oppo 103. I have an older 93. Plus I haven't had it plugged into the Internet in 2 years. If one is up for a new blu ray player to do good 3D and lots of aps, do 4k up conversion and has the latest fast processor, I was simply recommending the Sony 6200 because it is doing the job for me. Plus this one can be bought to be region free. I've seen pricing as low as $100 for the base machine and $69 for the plugin hardware for region free. That's a heck of a low price for all those features. I don't claim it is better than the Oppo 93. It is just as good for image quality, plus it loads faster and does the Netflix 3D better than my PS3.

Cinema13
I'm sorry if I made you feel bad or that you think I was suggesting a person go out and buy all new equipment every time there is a new development. None of us do that. Why do you give me the impression you think I suggested that?

So you understand, enthusiasts need to decide what has priority, then work to obtain that priority. Some may want Netflix 3D or an AVR that can pass 3D but maybe 3D is not that important as compared to owning expensive collection of blu ray disks. I'm sure some here have unlimited funds for upgrades but most of us don't, so we put priorities and decide that way.
If you believe buying a new receiver now forces you to buy a new one with every new development in the future, you are either incredibly crazy, or just trying to make an argument with a very weak point. What is ludicrous is even wasting space with that level of thinking!

What I do is wait for the time a new piece of equipment is released that has the new features that I can justify the upgrade. When I upgraded my receiver to one that switched 3D hdmi and did 11.2 channels, I waited 11 years and since the old one was still working, I donated it to a young fellow who is getting very good use from it. Meanwhile, I did make the move to 7.2 audio only because there are enough programs now that justified the budget for those additional speakers. 11.2? Not yet. Other than some demo disks I have from DTS, there isn't any content to justify the cost. But the. 11.2 came along for the ride when I upgraded.

I don't consider myself an early adopter by AVS standards. I don't even want to be. I wait for the new stuff to become standard and ubiquitous, plus drop in price so that the upgrade offers much improvement, lots of new features and capability and the price is so low that it becomes a no brainier for my budget. I'm not like many here, when it comes to new technology and equipment and programming, I have the patients to wait until it is ready for prime time.

I'm traveling for the next week heading down into Central America. So my response may be sporadic.
post #535 of 628 Old 09-08-2014, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
BTW, just last night we rented Madagascar 2 (2D) from Amazon Prime. I feel the need to repeat this guys: the quality from AP really does seem much higher than Netflix. It would be tough to manage an accurate side-by-side test, but I was walking up to the screen convinced it was equal to blu-ray. This was via the Amazon Prime App on my TV (60R550A).

Anyone know the specs they use? Does anyone else get the same sense of comparative quality I'm perceiving?
Everything I've read online states that Amazon Instant Video supports 1080p as long as you have the bandwidth (4mb/s minimum) and your device supports the service. I've watched several TV shows and movies and to my eyes it is every bit as sharp as Netflix.

The device being used might affect video quality. When streaming Amazon content directly from my LG LM7600 the image tended to start stuttering after about 10 minutes of viewing. When streamed thru my PS4 and Xbox One it was perfect for the duration of the show/movie.

In terms of content I find it comparable to Netflix. Obviously the Netflix exclusives like House of Cards are not available but there is a lot of overlap in terms of movies and TV shows. Amazon also offers lots of HBO content (Sopranos, Rome, Boardwalk Empire, etc.) that Netflix does not.
post #536 of 628 Old 09-09-2014, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post
Everything I've read online states that Amazon Instant Video supports 1080p as long as you have the bandwidth (4mb/s minimum) and your device supports the service. I've watched several TV shows and movies and to my eyes it is every bit as sharp as Netflix.

The device being used might affect video quality. When streaming Amazon content directly from my LG LM7600 the image tended to start stuttering after about 10 minutes of viewing. When streamed thru my PS4 and Xbox One it was perfect for the duration of the show/movie.

In terms of content I find it comparable to Netflix. Obviously the Netflix exclusives like House of Cards are not available but there is a lot of overlap in terms of movies and TV shows. Amazon also offers lots of HBO content (Sopranos, Rome, Boardwalk Empire, etc.) that Netflix does not.
1080p would be consistent with what I'm seeing. And at least at my location, Netflix is no where near that.
post #537 of 628 Old 09-09-2014, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

It's a matter of who's compressing the most anyway. I wonder why it is that you're seeing the two services as of the same quality. Amazon Instant Video here seems as clear as blu-ray.

EDIT: Quick note: Thankfully AIV is now available on Android devices. Previously it had only been on the Amazon Fire and iOS devices.

Last edited by tgm1024; 09-09-2014 at 06:47 PM.
post #538 of 628 Old 09-10-2014, 12:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Anyone who consistently posts praise for Amazon obviously doesn't care about 3D. Netflix runs rings around Amazon for cost savings, title content, quantity and most importantly to 3D enthusiasts, they have more and better content than any other distribution provider over the Internet second only to You Tube. Amazon hasn't even made the minor leagues yet.

While it could always be better, I challenge anyone here to show me that Amazon has higher quality content in 3D. At best Amazon can equal Netflix in 2D, but this is not the place in the forum to discuss 2D content.

I don't even think Amazon would rate in the top 10 broadcast providers. For 3D content and quality.

No problem if you prefer Amazon streaming to any other service, that is your choice. But then just admit, you don't care about 3D either.

Currently located somewhere south of Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

Last edited by Don Landis; 09-10-2014 at 12:33 AM.
post #539 of 628 Old 09-10-2014, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Anyone who consistently posts praise for Amazon obviously doesn't care about 3D. Netflix runs rings around Amazon for cost savings, title content, quantity and most importantly to 3D enthusiasts, they have more and better content than any other distribution provider over the Internet second only to You Tube. Amazon hasn't even made the minor leagues yet.

While it could always be better, I challenge anyone here to show me that Amazon has higher quality content in 3D. At best Amazon can equal Netflix in 2D, but this is not the place in the forum to discuss 2D content.

I don't even think Amazon would rate in the top 10 broadcast providers. For 3D content and quality.

No problem if you prefer Amazon streaming to any other service, that is your choice. But then just admit, you don't care about 3D either.
I'm sorry, but that's just BS. I care a great deal about 3D, I have been on the front line with this for a very long time (beating back the misconceptions regarding it's "demise", and offering suggestions, discussing how FPR works, etc., etc.) and why this personal childish attack against me now?

Seriously Don, you into mind reading now?

You're way off base with this, and regarding 2D you're just incorrect.

post #540 of 628 Old 09-10-2014, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Boys, boys....settled down. Remember, it's only TV!

I have both Netflix & Amazon, and use both for whatever content I want to see at a given time. For Amazon, I consider it a "free" video service because I purchased membership mainly for the Prime Free Shipping. I buy most all my items for business on Amazon, so the free shipping pretty much pays for the yearly membership. Maybe even more so. The video streaming w/Amazon Prime is just icing on the cake. I'm almost certain Amazon will get on the 3D band wagon eventually. It's all about demand.
Reply 3D Content

Tags
Netflix